Welcome to OneUtah.org

OneUtah.org will serve the majority progressive community in Salt Lake City by featuring the writings’ and commentary of Utah’s many thoughtful and articulate citizens, community leaders, educators and law-makers and by facilitating discussion around current events, politics, and religion.

We are pleased to announce, that Ed Firmage has enthusiastically agreed to be our inaugural contributing author.

Despite being the capital city of the most conservative state in the country, and in sharp contrast to our erroneous image, Salt Lake City and surrounding communities are as diverse and progressive as any in the US.

This site is the result of the collective inspiration of a number of community leaders. Contruction began on January 5th 2006. We hope to be fully up and running as soon as possible.

In the meantime, we invite your general feedback, and suggestions for regular and guest contributing authors and editors.

1. #1 by clifflyon on January 6, 2006 - 3:11 pm

Patrick Shea is on board too!

2. #2 by Deanna Taylor on January 18, 2006 - 7:00 pm

Welcome! This looks like a very interesting bog that I will want to refer to often. I highly respect Dan Webster, Ed Firmage, and others you have referenced here.
    Thank you for joining the blogosphere!

Deanna Taylor
    of
    Dee’s ‘Dotes

3. #3 by clifflyon on January 18, 2006 - 9:03 pm

Thanks Deanna!

We got discovered prematurely. Probably because I was testing blogroller and you’re on my list of favorite blogs.

Keep checking back, long way to go. Post away and give us your feedback. You are a pro!

I’m happy to top post anything you like.

Cliff

4. #4 by Bradley Ross on January 19, 2006 - 9:48 pm

I also look forward to reading this blog. I appreciate hearing multiple viewpoints. I hope you will be able to avoid the traps that make many other left-leaning blogs unreadable for me. I don’t want to feel like I’m in the locker room when I’m reading about politics. You’re off to a great start. Thanks!

5. #5 by clifflyon on January 19, 2006 - 11:39 pm

Thanks Bradley,

This blog will be completely unique among blogs because of the criteria to be a contributing author.

I will NOT be one. I’m just having fun keeping the programmers entertained.

As I said in another post, the contributing authors will be “our living Utah heroes; the people who live here now, who have earned the right to be heard, having accepted their responsibility to speak truth to power.”

We don’t have a formal definition of that, but one primary criterion will be; people who hold that “strength of conviction” is a weakness to be subordinated in the quest for objective knowledge.

That’s at least one.

They should also be people who by community standards have worked really hard to get educated.

They should be people who have attained some measure of success in their lives…and appear not to have “sold out.”

And they must be good people as measured by how many hours of their own time they have given in their communities. How else can we trust them? Why else WOULD we trust them?

Oops, that’s five. Please feel free to suggest others.

I just want it to be like it was in the olden days. When there was a wise person in every tribe or village. And everybody knew who it was because they could see them and know them.

And everybody listened to them because they were good people, even the powerful leaders, or they would lose their power.

Today we have powerful leaders, but we don’t hear the voices to which we should be listening.

You may find that this blog is critical of the Bush administration, but that doesn’t mean it’s partisan.

People, who really care about equality, justice, and a better life for all, tend to be critical of most politicians most of the time. If that’s partisan today, it wasn’t yesterday, and it won’t be tomorrow if this is still America.

6. #6 by Jenni on January 20, 2006 - 10:18 pm

I appreciate the premise that’s been set up for the blog. It should be a refreshing, educational and mind-opening read — something to learn from and aspire to.

7. #7 by Anon on January 24, 2006 - 7:08 pm

The following would be interesting to me as contributors

Michael W. McConnell, prof – Quinney College of Law, judge – Tenth Circuit
    Richard Dutcher, filmmaker – God’s Army, Brigham City, States of Grace
    Pamela Atkinson, homeless advocate, 2005 SL Tribune Utahn of the Year
    Carolyn Tanner Irish, Episcopal Bishop of Utah
    Rocky Anderson, known to all
    Will Bagley, author, historian

8. #8 by Cliff Lyon on January 26, 2006 - 8:04 am

Thanks Anon,

Rocky is in, and coming soon, which might present an issue for clergy in a public role.

I’ve thought about Pam. Does she write?

Bagley in a GREAT idea.

…and I will contact the other two.

EXCELLENT ideas! And what about YOU? You appear to have some
    “chops”?

Send me something to top post!

9. #9 by leigha on April 17, 2006 - 10:01 am

Nice web page! Very sharp. I love the content on this blog. Glad I stumbled into your site.Very fun page :-).

10. #10 by jack on April 23, 2006 - 2:40 pm

Campaign Update:
    I have to groups who support my candinancy for Utah State House District 25 which are Utah Stonewall Democrates Shooting Club and Planned Parenthood.

I went to the Salt Lake County Convention and gave a small talk at the Democrate Education Caucas but they couldn’t decide who to endorse. I should have had a table set up but it was $200.00 and I had not made campaign flyers made yet but I brought my huge campaign banner and put that out front of Highland High School where the convention was held so that might have helped some.

I support Energy Solutions plan to store nuclear wast in Utah and support Sierra Clubs environment plans except for their position on energy solution. I support the second amendment and planned parenthood programs.

Jack Gray

Candidate for Utah State House 25

Democratic

PO Box 526005 Salt Lake City, Utah

801-637-6977

11. #11 by David Andersen on May 7, 2006 - 9:08 am

Nice to meet and listen to your comments at the open house. Just finished with my contribution to ACT BLUE. It is time to make our voices heard. You have a lot of passion and insight that is engaging. I have enjoyed browsing all the comments and it really gets your heart thumping about the future.

12. #12 by Steve on July 13, 2006 - 10:04 am

Cliff,

I had fun participating on KNPR’s “State of Nevada” today (July 13, 2006) about Utah bloggers. Hopefully, you did as well.

Steve

13. #13 by Merri Anne on July 14, 2006 - 11:09 am

Cliff,
    Thanks for bringing this site to my attention at the (7.13.2006) night of conversation. I have enjoyed reading the spirited ideas of smart people who (surprise) live right here in my backyard. Coming from an Advertising and Marketing background I believe the same process for branding a company is clearly needed. A think tank brainstorming session to create messaging, brand promise, target audience, competitives etc. would help define the proactive democratic movement here in Utah. It needs to have that clear definition in order for like minded people to quickly understand and identify with the organization. By our nature liberals are diverse and open to new ideas. However that is exacly what kills us in elections. We need to work harder on being “effective”. -First Blog entry so go easy on me!
    Merri-Anne

14. #14 by cliffs conscience on July 14, 2006 - 6:06 pm

Dear Merri Ann, no matter what democrats do you are not going to be allowed into real power.

Has not the last 2 elections shown democrats that hoping of changing things at the polls is pointless?

Are you watching how the Mexican election is being stolen?

Do you know who is advising the capitalist(anti progressive) candidates down there?

Are you paying any attention to how the pubic down there are reacting to being screwed at the ballot box?

With any luck they will do what we didn’t and bring the entire mexican economy to a halt.

At least that might slow down illegal immigration.

15. #15 by Ruble on August 14, 2006 - 1:51 pm

Cliff,

Since Israel and the Middle East are such important matters (or should be) for Americans, may I suggest balancing out the Israeli hawks that you have blog on this site with someone from the Israeli peace movement, like Gush Shalom?

The issues in the region are too important to present only one side. I also think many of your readers, judging by the comments section, would appreciate more in-depth presentations of Israelis who don’t support the cycle of violence.

Just a suggestion.

16. #16 by Jack Gray on September 15, 2006 - 3:55 pm

Hello On Utah Blog,

I have started a campaign website for next year which is located at http://votegray2007.tripod.com. Please sign the guestbook to give me your feed back.
    Thanks.

Jack Gray

17. #17 by Dave on November 1, 2006 - 10:08 pm

You guys are rubbish….

18. #18 by stewart mcgaw on January 27, 2007 - 5:53 pm

Hey cliff:
    I tried to e-mail you and got back a “returned mail notice”…
    stewart mcgaw wrote:
    > Oh yeah and hey man:
    > How are ya? Actually I hope this is you, cause otherwise….it sure looks like you; sounds like you; a little greyer, slightly more exercised. If this isn’t you then oops I’m sorry,,,but if it is, and I know you’re probably busy, and its been a long time, but if you could take the time, I have a problem converting ASF to whatever it is with Mac; mpeg or AVI or whatever and i’m thinkin wouldn’t it be nice if I knew, you know; a computer nerd. so I google your name and you’ve got a blog. I sure hope this is you and not some poor fella scratchin his head,,,,,, and you’re rabble rousing. Dude, here, let me give you an allegory, a metaphor; you’re in Utah, snow vallalah, but mind the avalanches.
    > Anyway if this is you, call me, and give me some free tech support.
    > stewart mcgaw
    > 1-978-532-1598
    > P.S. And for real, it really is Utah, so really be careful for the avalanches. I read a mag call OffPiste and an awful lot of the content seems to be about avalanches, out west, and of course out there you folks are actually getting snow, but then that’s an entirely different conversation, anyway…..

19. #19 by gena on February 22, 2007 - 4:37 pm

Utah Progressive Network’s youth group PSYC — the Progressive Student & Youth Council made a 60 sec commercial called “Immigrant Families are Forever too.” Pass the link on to anyone who might be interested.

thanks,
    UPNet

20. #20 by Jenni on February 22, 2007 - 5:06 pm

Hi Gena!

I posted the “Immigrant Families are Forever” video on my blog a few days ago. Love you UpNet peoples!

21. #21 by Fred Mauney on March 25, 2007 - 10:27 pm

Hello, I know it would benefit the both of us if we made contact. Fred Mauney at e-mail…akathephoenix@yahoo.com yours , Fred Mauney

22. #22 by Bryan Zeiner on May 30, 2007 - 6:37 pm

Hi Fred. It’s Bryan & Marilyn here in Wernersville, PA. I wondered how you’ve been. Haven’t seen you since you were here at our home back in ’02. Drop me a line sometime or call me. I’ll email you my phone number at your akathephoenix address at yahoo.

23. #23 by Harry Taylor on July 30, 2007 - 11:15 am

I’m trying to make contact with Cliff Lyons. He was referred to me by Greg Felice and assisted Greg with the http://www.thankyouharrytaylor.org website. How can I reach Cliff, please? Thanks. Harry Taylor

24. #24 by Walt Lyon on February 8, 2008 - 8:40 am

This morning the Wall Street Joumal has a story about the possiblity of the Federal
    Government contracting waterboarding out.

I object. I think we need a law that would require all federal waterboarding be done on the White House lawn by either the president or his spouse in full view of onlookers on Pennsylvania Ave.

Cheers……………..Walt Lyon

25. #25 by Eva Methot on June 11, 2008 - 2:26 pm

I am concern with all the flooding and tornado disasters and feel for the people. I would like to know how to help theses people. I have a fully furnished 2b2b in Parowan Utah that I can offer to a family if I would know how to get this out. If you know how to help me that would be great. Thank you, Eve

26. #26 by Eva Methot on June 11, 2008 - 2:29 pm

jkjlj

27. #27 by N Williams on June 20, 2010 - 9:55 am

This website should be free of obvious typographical errors and should avoid use of unprofessional words if you want people to take you seriously. Early in the announcement that Claudia Wright will run against Matheson in the primary, there is a sentence that makes no sense. “Pissed off” can also turn people off. … just sayin’.

28. #28 by Annie Wellard on September 20, 2010 - 10:33 pm

Who knows anything about the new law DOPPLE is trying to pass discriminating against chronic pain patients???? Or any patient receiving pain medications. What stand is the upcoming canidates taking? I understand that they are trying to tell MD.’s what medications to order, require all patients on a controlled substance (Darvocette to oycontin) to have every month drug tests ( which range in price from $750.00 to $1000.00 per test/month). Is this not getting a little rediculous! Besides they are not informing the general public on what is going on. My insurance will not pay for this. Will yours? Why are people without M.D.s trying to make these choices? Why are we not being informed? I understand this bill will be up for vote in Jan. I need and want to know the truth regarding this bill. I know a case that needs to be investigated which might help in the investigation. It’s happening right here in Logan, Ogden and SLC. Are the people really going to stand for this type of Big Brother. This will affect everyone with any type of pain. You with knee surgery, or you having a root canal. To me this seems rediculous. Does anyone else feel this way. Wonder why insurance premiums are rising? Why hasn’t the governor done
    anything about this? He knows about this. Just ask Dr. Raymond Biddell. I want to know the truth about this bill doesn’t anyone else? What is Carroons stand?

29. #29 by Johnny G on September 30, 2010 - 2:31 pm

Doesn’t sound like much of a “debate”. Looks more like a liberal intellicutal wantabe inbreeding orgie to me.

30. #30 by Vanna Livaditis on February 17, 2011 - 9:08 pm

Hi there! I’m the Multimedia Coordinator at Salt Lake Valley Health Department and wanted to share a new video I created about public health bills we are following this session.

Vanna Livaditis
    Salt Lake Valley Health Department
    Multimedia Coordinator
    vlivaditis@slco.org
    801.468.3166

31. #31 by neiplesee on November 27, 2011 - 4:18 am

Okay post, but not the excellent Ive seen exactly. You should abdicate it up or gulrotkake appelsin will put your position.

32. #32 by Mark Lambert on August 11, 2012 - 8:32 am

Richard W., Will you help us stop this show by signing my petition to tell NBC that war is NOT entertainment. go to change.org and sign at this link http://www.change.org/petitions/nbc-television-stop-the-production-and-airing-of-the-new-reality-show-stars-earn-stripes Please use your influence to retweet, share, post this invitation far and wide. It is different from the Roots petition, because it tells NBC to cancel the show, not just offer “equal time.” Thanks. Mark