Has the Far Right Overstayed it’s Welcome in Utah?

I can’t help but feel optimistic about all this commotion over Cheney’s impending visit to Provo. There hasn’t been this much turmoil since Sean Hannity was flown in to impose himself on Michael Moore’s “slacker” tour before the 2004 election of John Kerry. It’s hard to find any information on why Hannity was never invited back to host the “Stadium of Fire” events there, but I highly doubt his explanation that the show’s new producers had a “Hollywood connection.” Even Doug Wright seemed a little uncomfortable with Sean while trying to moderate a discussion with Rocky and Sean concerning the details of a debate being scheduled this May.

The Church is defending the decision to have Cheney speak at BYU’s commencement ceremony by stating:

“the invitation is seen by the university’s board of trustees as one extended to someone holding the high office of vice president of the United States rather than to a partisan political figure.”

Wow! I don’t even know what to say.

It looks like the American Legion hasn’t scheduled an invitation to have Bush address it’s congregation in Salt Lake for the third year in a row, but don’t expect them to admit Rocky or the “Nutcakes” had anything to do with that decision. It’s still worth mentioning that, by anybody’s standard, more people showed up to protest Bush’s appearance here last August, then to welcome him.

1. #1 by Cavæt on March 30, 2007 - 6:52 am

I think we ought to say g’bye to orrin as well.

2. #2 by Ken Bingham on March 30, 2007 - 10:11 am

BYU has announced that they have also invited the MINO Sen. Harry Reid to speak. Since BYU is allowing protesters during Vice President Cheney Speech it will only be fitting to allow protests during the Harry Reid’s speech. The BYU college Republicans are already planning one.

3. #3 by caveat on March 30, 2007 - 12:24 pm

Yea, let’s have a commensement debate between reid and cheney, it can be billed as “Harry / Dick”!

4. #4 by Nephi on March 30, 2007 - 12:43 pm

Ken,

One can only hope that BYU would allow protesters during Cheney speech. But if you investigate a bit closer – like a college student, not a blind freeper – you will discover the protest authorized by BYU against Dickus will occur weeks before he speaks, not during his speech as you state.

Geesh, nothing worse than a freeper who just cannot get a thing correct.

5. #5 by Larry Bergan on March 30, 2007 - 6:55 pm

Ken Bingham:

Protesting Harry sounds like a great idea! I’ll be there with my “Put Impeachment Back on the Table” sign!

Hopefully, I won’t have to protest the party I’ve been a member of for my entire life though. Maybe, by then, even more of the Republicans will be embarrassed enough by all the scandals and non-conservatisim of the current crop of fake Republicans to start the proceedings themselves.

I really don’t care who saves my country.

6. #6 by VTSharron on March 30, 2007 - 7:56 pm

With any luck, Pelosi will be president by the time the Church unleashes its latest batch of caged-thinkers, negating the need for the limp-dick to come and lie to Utahns.

7. #7 by Cavæt on April 1, 2007 - 1:49 pm

If you can believe the letter to the editor in todays trib, dick cheney actually sought an invitation to speak at BYU and was given one according to his status, Now if I recall correctly, dick also found himself to be he best vice presidential cantidate while screening other repubs for georges run. Now, my question is: Does anyone think dick cheney is looking to ascend still further by buddying up to the athorities of the mormon faith? Is ‘sainthood’ on his agenda? The people want to know.

8. #8 by Larry Bergan on April 2, 2007 - 5:41 pm

I took a walk yesterday and asked everybody I ran into if they had heard Cheney died of a heart attack.

APRIL FOOLS!