The Secretary of State of New Hampshire has scheduled (PDF) a statewide recount of the paper ballots beginning on Wednesday, January 16, because presidential candidates Democrat Dennis Kucinich and Republican Albert Howard requested it.
Let’s review the problem of the New Hampshire Primary vote-counting discrepancy.
- About 80% of New Hampshire ballots were counted by Diebold/Premier optical scanning machines without any post-election manual audits to verify the machine count accuracy.
- The news media told us the polls were wrong, both the pre-election polls and the exit polls that showed Obama with an eight percent win over Clinton.
- Media reports hypothesized theories for why Clinton beat Obama in New Hampshire including:
- The “Bradley effect” (closet racism) caused people to lie to pollsters
- Clinton’s “tears” reported in the media brought women voters out
- The “good weather” theory
- Independents abandoned Obama to vote for McCain in the GOP primary
- Undecided voters suddenly decided to vote for Hillary
Everything except the “electronic miscount” theory.
New Hampshire’s Diebold/Premier machine-counted votes reversed the outcome, according to the National Election Data Archive. The reversal of the machine and hand counts is consistent with programming errors counting votes cast for Obama, for Clinton and votes cast for Clinton, for Obama.
The National Election Data Archive examined Clinton and Obama vote shares out of votes cast only for Obama and Clinton. Overall, Clinton’s hand count share of such votes is 47.07% to Obama’s 52.93% share and a virtually exact reverse pattern occurs with machine counts where
Clinton’s share is 52.95% to Obama’s 47.05%.
A statistical analysis of New Hampshire’s Democratic primary by the National Election Data Archive rules out precinct-size and seems to rule out demographic factors as possible causes for the reversal of Obama and Clinton’s machine and hand-counted results; and shows that the pattern is consistent with vote miscount favoring Clinton.
Americans must have a transparent election process that uses paper ballots and mandatory post-election vote count audits.
More from Kirsten Anderson on HuffPo.
Ironically, a U.S.-sponsored exit poll is being cited as evidence the recent Kenyan election was rigged.
UPDATE: On AlterNet, Steven Rosenfeld reports that Hillary’s campaign pressured New Hampshire poll workers to remove observers stationed by the Obama campaign. These volunteers had intended to track voters as part of their get-out-the-vote effort.