What A Republican Racist Looks Like in 2007

They’ll be going back underground soon.

I found this while looking for a better version of the Artur Davis/McClellan session.

Watch the white racist squirm like a stuck pig.

[kml_flashembed movie="http://youtube.com/v/ScoQ6iyjhGI" width="400" height="326" wmode="transparent" /]Rep Artur Davis Questions John Tanner In Judiciary Hearing

WOW! I just Googled John Tanner racist.

Did I mention I HATE RACISTS?

, ,

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on June 22, 2008 - 12:48 pm

This guy never would have been exposed if it hadn’t been for blogs like this one and BradBlog who first published a video of Tanner that one of it’s bloggers made.

2. #2 by Paul Mero on June 22, 2008 - 1:38 pm

Cliff,

Rep. Davis, throughout this clip, is behaving like a race-baiting bully. If you have EVER sat through a committee hearing like this, you would know Rep. Davis is simply following an old tactic of trying to embarrass a political opponent(which it looks like he did successfully) within a narrow time frame (“My time is precious, Mr. Tanner, just answer yes or no.”).

I am glad you got a chuckle out of this embarrassing situation, but what goes around comes around in politics and, no doubt, one day Rep. Davis will find himself on the other end of this sort of tactic. And that would be a shame for everyone…just as this spectacle is.

And this sort of thing is what is all wrong about politics as usual.

Best, PTM

3. #3 by Paul Mero on June 22, 2008 - 1:42 pm

Oh, and all the best Cliff.

4. #4 by Albert O. on June 22, 2008 - 1:57 pm

Paul:

I think you need to review yet again the questions that were beings asked of Tanner. For a person in his position, Tanner should have been able to send answers to the questions out of the ball park; instead, he came up with balls and strikes, much like one might expect these days from a member of the Bush administration … all balls and strikes!

5. #5 by Larry Bergan on June 22, 2008 - 2:16 pm

Paul:

I don’t know, Paul. Didn’t I see you defending Tom Delay once on Chris Vanocur’s show? Maybe I’m imagining things. Doesn’t Davis have the right to use his “Hammer” every now and then?

6. #6 by Cliff Lyon on June 22, 2008 - 3:37 pm

Hey Paul! Great to hear from you. How’s things at The Sutherland Institute?

I love seeing you here, but are you SURE you wanna engage here? As the country careens down the tubes at an increasing velocity (due in no small measure to malignant policy rooted in the obsolete conservativism of lore), we don’t have much love for pretty much anyone to the right of Bill Clinton.

It could get ugly. :)

7. #7 by Ken Bingham on June 22, 2008 - 5:40 pm

Cliff

And I thought I was loved around here. Aren’t liberals all about peace and love?

8. #8 by Paul Mero on June 22, 2008 - 6:31 pm

To Larry…your memory is better than mine…I don’t think I have ever been interviewd by Vanocur??? Maybe you are right…that I have. I worked with Tom DeLay in DC and I can’t ever remember defending him…outside of, perhaps, him voting right on something. But, again, maybe your memory is better.

To Cliff…I don’t think we’ve had a conservative president since Reagan (first term)…so any careening must be shared with Bush 1, Clinton, and Bush 2…none of whom I would characterize as close to Reagan conservatives. Just my opinion.

And to Albert…yeah, Tanner looked like a deer in the headlights. The old me always had fun when I saw that face in a witness…and some of the new me still enjoys it (because I hate gutless, political lackeys about as much as I hate political bullys).

Back to Cliff…one reason I might not fare well on your site is that you guys focus on the damnedest things (like your mentor Rocky A. did)…I always had a hard time relating to the right-wing conspiracy theorists and I guess the left-wing ones as well…in this case my example might be the whole (old and tired argument) about the military-industrial complex/everything is only about rich getting richer and expoliting the poor sort of stuff.

Too cynical (even when justified now and then). :)

9. #9 by Albert O. on June 22, 2008 - 7:05 pm

Paul:

I guess one question that remains follows: are you even remotely outraged re the sheer incompetence displayed by this Justice dept. appointee? I mean, this guy is not only incompetent at performing his justice dept. job, he is incompetent at being a political hack. Surely you must find something in this joker to be upset about – even on a nonpartisan basis!!

10. #10 by Paul Mero on June 22, 2008 - 7:16 pm

To Albert…short answer: yes!

But, frankly, the whole government (the whole world!) is filled with these kinds of jokers…and you’re correct, being this sort of joker in government is not partisan.

Everything like this isn’t the end of the world…unless you are so politicized that EVERYTHING is at Def Con 5 constantly.

I have had too many stress-related ailments from my career to sweat this sort of thing…and I’m 50 now, not 30. I try to focus on stuff that matters…the other stuff (as important as it might feel in the moment…like some bureaucrat lackey OR a race-baiting congressman) I either ignore or try find humor in.

But that’s just me.

PTM

11. #11 by Albert O. on June 22, 2008 - 8:22 pm

Paul:

Notwithstanding our mutual and diametric opposition to practically all of each other’s beliefs (moral beliefs, anyway), I am encouraged that we can apparently agree on this one point discussed above. There may be hope for bipartisan cooperation in this country yet. We can only hope!

12. #12 by Larry Bergan on June 23, 2008 - 3:14 am

Paul:

What I remember about the Vanocur show was that it was one of his “Vanocur Group” weeks, where two Republicans and two Democrats opine. It wasn’t really an interview, but it was during a tough time for Delay and I guess if you have worked with him, it would be hard not to say something nice. I personally think he used some of the worst tactics ever used in Washington to get his way including calling the Democratic party the Democrat party, every time he said it just to demean us.

That being said, I truly respect your coming here and using your real name to address us and respond to us. We really believe in our cause and our anger is very real, unlike Limbaugh and Hannity and the sea of right wing talk show hosts out there that literally threaten our lives on the air and get away with it.

The only “politics as usual” I see these days is the Democrats giving the Republicans literally everything they desire, and the Republicans acting like they aren’t getting enough. Am I a conspiracy theorist for thinking this?

If you’re busy, you can ignore this comment, but I hope you’ll respond.

13. #13 by Nephi on June 23, 2008 - 10:12 am

Ken: Your silence these days has been deafening.

14. #14 by Paul Mero on June 23, 2008 - 1:00 pm

Larry…I don’t think “conspiracy” and “politics” ever belong in the same sentence…like “organized” and “anarchy.” :)

PTM

15. #15 by Cliff on June 23, 2008 - 1:49 pm

Yeah but “conservative” and “obsolete” will soon go together like “Bush” and “treason” or “Republicans” and “debt.”

Perhaps you can think of a few more?

16. #16 by Larry Bergan on June 23, 2008 - 6:17 pm

Yeah, or “civil” and “war.”

When your leader is George Bush, you’ve got to at least consider anarchy as something to fall back on.

Thanks for not threatening my life though!

17. #17 by Albert O. on June 23, 2008 - 6:38 pm

18. #18 by Ken Bingham on June 23, 2008 - 8:54 pm

Nephi

Tell you the truth I have been very busy. Haven’t even been able to find much time for blogging either. Blogging is a dangerous business now that you can get sued for quoting the Associated Press unless you pay them for excerpting as few as five 5 words. The next time I get quoted on Oneutah.org I expect to be paid accordingly. I will send Cliff my bill. Oh and that link I just created. That’ll cost you 5 bucks.

19. #19 by N on June 23, 2008 - 10:46 pm

Ken:

Sounds like it may be time for the wife to get a job … attorneys’ fees on a judgment of 5 words are probably not cheap. Good to know you are still among the living!

20. #20 by Larry Bergan on June 24, 2008 - 2:08 pm

Albert O:

I think all of the hoopla over the George W. Bush library is great. I wish I could find the story, but some panel at SMU, where it is going to be built just barley voted for it. When they put the vote to a much larger crowd, something like 825 voted against it and 25 for.