Lying Americans to Death

I would seem that Rachel Maddow has unleashed a vile of courage in the Washington Press Corps. Its about time.

I remember fondly the first time I heard phrases like “not wholly accurate” and “of questionable validity” shift to use of the ‘L’-word. It was sometime in late 2004.

You can only imagine my delight these days. I seems one can almost breath in the new, fresh air of truth as truth should be, distinct and elevated by the honest use of the word ‘Lie’

Paul Krugman lost his virginity today. Its all the rage.

These stories have two things in common: they’re all claims recently made by the McCain campaign — and they’re all out-and-out lies.

Dishonesty is nothing new in politics. I spent much of 2000 — my first year at The Times — trying to alert readers to the blatant dishonesty of the Bush campaign’s claims about taxes, spending and Social Security.

But I can’t think of any precedent, at least in America, for the blizzard of lies since the Republican convention. The Bush campaign’s lies in 2000 were artful — you needed some grasp of arithmetic to realize that you were being conned. This year, however, the McCain campaign keeps making assertions that anyone with an Internet connection can disprove in a minute, and repeating these assertions over and over again.

The first hint of the fresh air from Washington came from the Post on Wednesday in As Campaign Heats Up, Untruths Can Become Facts Before They’re Undone. Not only does a staff write use the “L-word”, he refers to it as such.

But here is why every good Utahn should vote for Obama.

Fed up, the Obama campaign broke a taboo on Monday and used the “L-word” of politics to say that the McCain campaign was lying about the Bridge to Nowhere.

Palin and John McCain, the GOP presidential nominee, have been more aggressive in recent days in repeating what their opponents say are outright lies. Almost every day, for instance, McCain says rival Barack Obama would raise everyone’s taxes, even though the Democrat’s tax plan exempts families that earn less than $250,000.

The ‘taboo’ is broken.

This 2006 article, Woodward Affirms Bush Is a Liar, I think, reflects the mid-point in our struggle to protect the virtue of truth referring to ‘half truths’ and ‘untruths’ as LIES.

In other words, Woodward defends himself by pointing out, in numerous ways, that George W. Bush is a liar.

But I am puzzled–you see, I read the Washington Post every single morning, and for the life of me I can’t remember the big front-page headlines where the biggest-name reporter in the Western World specifically called George W. Bush a liar about the biggest issue facing America.

I call on my noble adversaries and my priesthood holding friends to RISE UP, take back the truth at whatever cost! Lets together become the protectors of, nay, warriors for, TRUTH.

For there is nothing more dangerous, than complacency in the face of a lie.

I say this in the name of Jesus Christ…

Watch for upcoming episodes about other Republican liars. And feel free to suggest YOUR favorite Republican liar in the comments below.

, , , ,

1. #1 by jasonthe on September 12, 2008 - 12:37 pm

Once you’ve got even the WaPo calling a Republican a liar, it’s all downhill.

2. #2 by Larry Bergan on September 12, 2008 - 3:24 pm

There is one inaccuracy in the post Cliff. Paul Krugman was using the “L” word years ago, but I honestly believe he was the only one. I saw him on “Hannity and Colmes” a long time ago. They had a guest host in place of Hannity who was almost never absent, but I would guess they knew Krugman would slice and dice him. Krugman was calling Bush out, as usual, and the host said “are you calling the president a liar?” Without any hesitation, Krugman looked him right in the eye and said “yes, I am.”

If we could just get other writers with that kind of integrity, our problems would be over.

3. #3 by Cliff Lyon on September 12, 2008 - 3:38 pm

Larry, You may be right. But the question is, has he ever used the ‘L’-word in an article before now.

I just found the quintisential Nation/Alterman article on the subject from 2002!

I’ll top post it.

4. #4 by Anonymous on September 12, 2008 - 3:46 pm

For whatever reason, it’s been so hard for Americans to realize that their leaders can possibly lie to them, but it’s been going on since at least Woodrow Wilson sucked us into World War I. Kennedy, Johnson, and Nixon lied to us about Vietnam. Bush senior lied to us about Saddam. Reagan’s people lied to us about Iran Contra.

The political campaigns are hot air about virtually nothing anymore, and 90-something percent of the people who vote don’t even notice, perhaps because it’s so entertaining.

If they really knew (they probably can’t stomach it, so they don’t want to know) what our government is doing, they’d have an epiphany of sorts, which is that we need to start voting for presidents, senators, and congresspeople who have integrity, and not just the sexual type. That integrity includes foreign and domestic policies of all shapes and sizes. We have had very little of that in my lifetime.

We need to never forget what happened on 9/11, but we must also know all of the reasons why it happened.

5. #5 by Albert O. on September 12, 2008 - 3:54 pm

McCain/Palin reveal a new bar in just how low tactics used in the race to run the country can get. We all expect the parties to stretch the truth (notwithstanding Bush having lowered the bar to a new low), but to listen to some of the Lies coming from McCain/Palin these days is laughable; excepting, that is, when one considers the number of folks who buy into the Lies, no matter how outrageous.

If there truly is a Heavenly Father, He will spend some time over the next few weeks knocking some reason and sanity into the heads of folks like Paul Mero and his followers.

6. #6 by Frank Staheli on September 12, 2008 - 4:15 pm

There I go again, commenting as Anonymous. The last Anonymous comment about “For whatever reason…” is mine.

Sorry…

I need to get over here more often, so that my cookies don’t get lost!

;-)

7. #7 by Double Ought on September 12, 2008 - 5:19 pm

I think that would be a vial Clifford, the Big Red (Commie) Dog.

At least that is how it looks. Vials of courage, you back to playing D&D?

So you are somehow surprised now, as if it was a revelation that Bush lied? They all do it. It is whether you get away with it that counts. Politics.

Desperation afflicts the Nation

8. #8 by Double Ought on September 12, 2008 - 5:35 pm

The Bridge to Nowhere is a non issue, every politician in Alaska has to bring home the pork, whether the bridge was justified of not, some Alaskan contractor would make money.

I find it amusing that these criticisms are coming from a no load state like Utah, that would veritably fall flat if it didn’t get its Federal subsidies.

Critiquing Palin is just a talking point, and it won’t work. These debates are so much wind at this point, but I cannot blame progs for continuing their desperate fight. It is really their last chance at turning things before people abandon their nonsense forever.

9. #9 by cav, an anon's anon on September 12, 2008 - 6:31 pm

The ‘L’ word, the ‘L’ word. I wasn’t sure if ‘Liberal’ wasn’t the ‘L’ word. In some circles it is!

Then I thought it might be ‘Lie’ Close.

The ‘L’ word is Leaders. Leaders that Lie. All of them Lie!? So why have any of them? Oh yea, the lesser of two evils. Is this a great system, or what?
    Most definitely – Or what!

10. #10 by Leo Brown on September 12, 2008 - 11:48 pm

According to this link Utah gets $1.14 in federal spending for every federal tax dollar it pays (2004 numbers). This is less than in Alaska ($1.87), but also less than in Montana, New Mexico, Idaho, and Arizona, but more than California, or Nevada.

11. #11 by Double Ought on September 13, 2008 - 7:57 am

The entire Rocky Mtn West apart from Nevada is a no load. At 1.14 Utah is improving, and it is more than likely becasue people with money and innovation have and are moving in.

12. #12 by Larry Bergan on September 13, 2008 - 2:57 pm

So It’s true, Utah is a welfare state. We better not start voting democrat or they’ll cut us off.