Election Day Open Thread

It’s hard for me to believe how historic this election day is. Whatever the outcome, it will be a first for our country. I am personally so thrilled to be witnessing this. The first time I voted was in 1968, by absentee ballot, voting as a Utah resident while living in Dover, Delaware where my husband at the time was stationed during the Vietnam war. It was a tumultuous time. Today I’m remembering Bobby Kennedy who was the candidate for whom I’d planned to cast my first presidential vote in 1968. I still wonder how the course of history might have been different . . . We can’t change history, but we can honor it by not forgetting. So to kick us off, I’ve selected a quote from Robert F. Kennedy, Jr. that seems apropos today:

Ultimately, America’s answer to the intolerant man is diversity, the very diversity which our heritage of religious freedom has inspired.

Please feel free to post any thoughts about this election, or elections you remember. I enjoyed Glendon’s post the other day about the first time he voted. I know there are other interesting stories.

1. #1 by Richard Warnick on November 4, 2008 - 7:21 am

I am going to make an effort to ration my blog time today. Last time, I believed the leaked exit polls and refused to believe Bush could end up with another four years. Mysteriously, the Diebold results didn’t agree with the exit polls.

2. #2 by glendenb on November 4, 2008 - 8:22 am

We have a tuesday morning group at my congregation, which is also a polling place. When I left there this morning at about 7:40 or so they’d had a steady stream of voters and there was a small line. I understand from a coworker that a polling place near her house had several hundred people in line.

3. #3 by Cliff Lyon on November 4, 2008 - 9:16 am

The earliest results (9am MDT), and the few early voting results seem to suggest Republicans are staying home. So much for concern over ACORN.

Local TV affiliates are showing nearly vacant polling places in heavily republican areas after the early rush. 334,000 Utahn voted early, 3 times higher than previous years. I guess no one was in a big hurry to vote for McPalin.

I spoke with two Republicans yesterday. Neither one is going to vote. “Good”, I said. Stay home.

And the markets are predicting an Obama win. Thats why they are rising world wide.

And ‘liberal’ just became a good word again. I AM A LIBERAL!

4. #4 by David on November 4, 2008 - 9:28 am

It’s not good that people stay home. People need to make their voices and votes known even if you disagree with them. Also, can we be honestly surprised that there are not too many voters after the morning surge – many of them are at work (like me).

(Can you tell I’m tired of every form of partisan commentary?)

5. #5 by JFarmer on November 4, 2008 - 9:33 am

David:

Folks are making their voices heard by staying home! A repug’s refusal to vote is a vote for Obama. See how that works?

6. #6 by David on November 4, 2008 - 9:44 am

Staying silent it not making your voice heard – its abdication of responsibility. Also, calling for others to stay home is the same as saying “let my vote represent you.”

People may choose to abdicate – that’s their right, but I don’t like to hear either side gloat that they have demoralized the other party.

In my opinion the Republicans demoralized themselves by choosing such a weak candidate – that’s still no reason for Cliff to say that Republicans should stay home.

7. #7 by Obama the Paul on November 4, 2008 - 10:17 am

david,

chalk me up right now as one who is gloating.

i am gloating so fucking hard that I am doing backflips for the first time in my life.

8. #8 by Cliff Lyon on November 4, 2008 - 10:23 am

David, I agree with everything you’ve said. Never in my life have I told someone to stay home….until this one.

What the Founding Fathers did not count on is that seventy-five percent of voters are LIV – ‘Low Information Voters.”

These are people they vote for because they ‘like them’ while knowing nothing about their policies, history, character, or their state Senators for instance.

The result is the single biggest world disaster in our lifetimes…BUSH.

This time, I hope they stay home.

9. #9 by David on November 4, 2008 - 10:28 am

Well Cliff, at least it’s an exception for you. I wonder if we can identify why so many people are LIV (I totally agree that they are – even among Obama supporters).

10. #10 by Allie on November 4, 2008 - 11:57 am

My first ever vote was absentee ballot too, Becky. I was at USU, my mom made sure I got my ballot, and I voted for Bill Clinton.

My Mister said that there weren’t any lines at 10am. Maybe everyone has voted early? (or he got lucky with the timing).

11. #11 by Becky Stauffer on November 4, 2008 - 12:10 pm

This early voting is so great. Of the four in my immediate family who vote, three of us voted early this year. It’s nice to be able to choose a convenient time, even though there was a bit of a wait.

12. #12 by C av on November 4, 2008 - 12:22 pm

Compel all registered voters who do not vote by announcing in advance that such nonvotes would be given to some third party cantidate, such as Cynthia McKinney.

This would bump the stay-at-homes from their silly position of: ‘Not MY President’.

13. #13 by Cliff Lyon on November 4, 2008 - 12:37 pm

Hi David,

Here’s why people are LIV. Not because of this kid, but because the guy he’s mocking.

One can only imagine how the Founding Fathers might have altered the Constitution had they known about Fox.

14. #14 by Don on November 4, 2008 - 7:48 pm

Based on CNN’s current projections, Obama will win the Presidency. After calling Ohio for Obama, he is up to 194 EVs. If you add in California (55), Oregon (7), Washington (11) and Hawaii (4) . . . all states Obama will win . . . that brings him to 271. Obama is our next President!

15. #15 by Ken on November 4, 2008 - 8:16 pm

Cliff

Obama is winning because of the LIVs you talk about. I bet if you ask the majority of Obama voters what they think he stands for they would not be able to give you specifics. They will say “change” but they have no idea what the change is. I doubt you can even say exactly what he is planning on changing. You are all celebrating now, but will you be celebrating a year or two from now when we really see the consequences of his policies? We may not have to even wait that long, in fact I suspect we are going to get a pretty good idea before he even takes office.

16. #16 by Don on November 4, 2008 - 8:18 pm

Gee Ken, since you fancy yourself so damn smart, why don’t you tell us what Obama “stands for”?

17. #17 by Ken on November 4, 2008 - 8:34 pm

Don

I think I have said what I believe Obama stands for. Why don’t you or other oneutah.org people explain what you think Obama stands for?

18. #18 by Don on November 4, 2008 - 8:49 pm

No dice Ken. If you don’t want answer your own questions then I’m not going to play your stupid little games. Tonight is for celebrating!

19. #19 by Don on November 4, 2008 - 8:49 pm

BTW, welcome back to OneUtah. It’s been missing a little bit of the “idiot quotient” . . . :)