Hottest Video in Seminary (LDS)

Colbert actually supports the LDS Church position! (and he really ripped into some gay guy too and he was pretty serious).
He also made Ken’s argument for why 70% of African Americans voted for Prop 8.

I think he’s gonna get in trouble Colbert. Yes I do.

Tuesday November 11, 2008
Proposition 8 Protests – Dan Savage
Dan Savage explains that those who voted for Proposition 8 most overwhelmingly were old people.

Video at Crooks and Liars (just in case The comedy Channel Takes it Down).

, , , ,

1. #1 by Becky Stauffer on November 12, 2008 - 9:30 pm

those who voted for Proposition 8 most overwhelmingly were old people.

And he adds that it’s comforting that they are dying off. I laughed and then remembered how old I was.

2. #2 by Larry Bergan on November 12, 2008 - 10:10 pm

No offense to ailing and prominent figures, (and I really mean that), but “Brokeback Mountain” is a gift from extraordinary writers, filmmakers and actors. I highly doubt many Utahn’s have seen it.

3. #3 by Tani on November 13, 2008 - 11:40 am

Cliff,

I love you and this site but I believe you are taking Colbert way too seriously. He is a satire pundit. He himself has said that he doesn’t let his children watch his show because he is afraid they would believe the things he says on his show. Let us not become to irrational on the left the way they do on the right.

4. #4 by Cliff Lyon on November 13, 2008 - 7:23 pm

Tani,

And I love you!

That was a failed experiment. When I saw it, I had a vision seminary kids passing it around.

I thought it was worth a shot since the Bush White House was dumb enough to invite Colbert to speak at the White House Correspondents Dinner.

Oh well.

5. #5 by Bryce Christensen on November 21, 2008 - 2:51 pm

Among the many consequences of the vote on Proposition 8 has been the remarkable outcry among those on the liberal-left at the way a majority of Mexican Americans and a supermajority of African Americans supported the measure. Some liberals have condemned these minority voters in tones that would have warmed Bull Connor’s heart! More sophisticated liberals have adopted a tone of patronizing condescension, pitying the poor misguided minority voters who allowed themselves to be manipulated by the bigoted whites (read: “who were too stupid to think for themselves”). I, for one, applaud these minority communities for their moral wisdom in endorsing Proposition 8 as a much-needed affirmation of marriage that helps ensure that children will grow up under the care and protection of both their mother and their father. Though exit polling doesn’t tell us everything, the data on African American support for Proposition 8 may plausibly be interpreted as evidence that members of a community badly damaged by family disintegration recognize the need for reaffirming marriage as the foundation of healthy community life. Some of the overwhelming majority of African American voters who supported Prop. 8 may even have read Martin Luther King, Jr.’s final work “Where Do We Go From Here: Chaos or Community?” (posthumously published), in which the slain civil-rights leader outlined “the predicament of the Negro family,” lamented the “family disorganization” hurting the African-American community, and traced it back to the slaveholders’ attacks on “the institution of marriage.” (Funny how liberals and leftists forget these themes of King’s work.) Again, I applaud the Mexican American and African American voters of California for their moral wisdom in affirming marriage by supporting Proposition 8. And I decry the liberal-left racism manifest in hostility or condescension toward these mature and far-sighted voters.

6. #6 by Cliff Lyon on November 21, 2008 - 6:32 pm

Dig deeper Bryce. The apparent high minority vote for Prop 8 is the result of vote rigging.

“Ocham’s Razor” my good man.

7. #7 by James Farmer on November 21, 2008 - 7:14 pm

Bryce:

Question for you:

Do you also applaud Mexican and African American voters of California (and the 49 other states) for their wisdom in helping elect Barack Obama president of the US?

8. #8 by Ken on November 21, 2008 - 8:48 pm

Cliff

Donning your tinfoil hat again I see. Shirley you can’t be serious? Sorry for calling you Shirley. You really think it was vote rigging that accounts for the 70% of AA’s to vote for Proposition 8? Damn those Diebold machines! I think you took too much LDS in the 60s.

9. #9 by Larry Bergan on November 22, 2008 - 12:44 am

Ken:

Here’s yet another question you aren’t going to answer because you’ll look stupid as a computer expert if you do.

As you know, figures in the computer could be made to say anything, and it’s been proven again and again that it would be possible for one person to change the results of an election.

Do you think Exit polls should be “adjusted” to match the machines and other results after the “official” election results are tabulated?

I thought so!

I haven’t seen the exit polling results myself, and I’m sure Edison/Mitofsky isn’t going to let us see them, but I would trust them any day over any data coming from a computer.

10. #10 by Cliff on November 22, 2008 - 4:17 am

Seriously Ken,

Are you not paying attention because you don’t want to admit how easy it is to rig these machines, or because you don’t yet have the technical understanding?

Why Georgia? There’s strongly suggestive evidence that the 2002 senatorial election in Georgia was stolen. That was the first election in which Diebold DRE (Direct Recording Electronic, usually touch-screen) voting machines were used statewide. Republican Saxby Chambliss beat front runner Democrat Max Cleland, with an astounding 12-point reversal of the vote count compared to pre-election polls. A last-minute “patch” had been applied covertly by Diebold staff to multiple voting machines throughout the state.

Now the Senate race hangs in the balance in Georgia again…

— Click here for REST OF STORY!… —

11. #11 by Ken on November 22, 2008 - 6:47 am

Like I have said before I don’t trust the machines either because they can be hacked. Every computer vote should produce a paper document that the voter can take, look at and place in a traditional voting box. That way if the election is in question we have a paper trail to fall back on. However, I haven’t seen any compelling evidence to suggest that voting machine hacking or errors have actually changed the outcome of an election. I think some people are against computer voting, not over fears of hacking, but to keep some ambiguity in the voting process as to make it easier to challenge the results if it doesn’t go their way. If we come up with a system that is extremely accurate there will still be people who will try to discredit it for their own political purposes.

Paper ballots are not perfect either and are also subject to fraud and manipulation. Just look at the lengths the idiot Stewart Smalley is going to disenfranchise voters by trying to throw out votes for Norm Colemen. He is even going as far as demanding the names of every voter in the state that voted absentee. He wants to violate peoples privacy and the sanctity of the secret ballot for his own benefit. If partisan thugs can have access to my name I will never vote absentee again. He is also trying to change the rules in his favor after the election has taken place. Algore tried the same thing and the corrupt and partisan Florida Inferior Court tried to uphold this fraud until the real Supreme Court put a stop to it. If Smalley prevails by disenfranchising Coleman voters or by having rules changed to his favor after the fact then he will have stolen the election.

A recount is required by law in Minnesota because the results were so close but the problem with recounts is they are much more susceptible to manipulation and corruption. All recount should be done by two independent and sequestered groups and the results must match before they can be certified. Only votes that were eligible on election day should be counted. This would make the outcome much more credible and less subject to litigation afterwards.

If the results change significanlty during the recount and especially if they find enough votes to declare Smalley the winner it will put the entire process in doubt. Who is to say the recount was more accurate than the original results? Also, do you really think that Stewart Smalley is going to respect the outcome of the recount if it does not go his way? Of course not, he has already formed a team of lawyers with the help of the DNC to litigate till the cows come home to keep Coleman from taking office. Minnesota may not have a second Senator for a very long time and watch the Democrats try and change the rules that calls for only a 59 vote super majority to close cloture rather than 60 as long as there are only 99 Senators. The Democrats want their dictatorship and they will do anything to get it.

12. #12 by Larry Bergan on November 23, 2008 - 12:56 am

Thanks for responding Ken. Every time I bring up a good argument about Republican election fraud, the discussion ends, no matter which republican I’m addressing here. Your reply starts out well, however, you never answered my question about whether exit polls should be hidden from the public and adjusted to match whatever the officials say the outcome is. Want to try again?

So an election is stolen from Max Cleland, who lost three limbs in battle, and we’re supposed to think people in Georgia were convinced he was with the terrorists against
    America, so at the last minute, they vote Republican. You think it’s the Democrats who are out of control in Georgia.

I don’t know whether you did too much LDS or LSD, but whatever it was, you are having a flashback. You said:

The Democrats want their dictatorship and they will do anything to get it.

They are sure as hell taking their time. The Democrats voted for the computer voting cash cow too, when there was no possible way it could help them.

13. #13 by Ken on November 23, 2008 - 12:16 pm

Larry

Personally I think exit polls should be outlawed because they often have suppressed voter turnout in Western states and Hawaii. I know it would be very difficult to not have results leak but there should be a 24 hour moratorium on any kind of vote results. If there is to be exit polling the results should be strictly for research/demographic purposes and never used to predict a winner on election day.
    We are too impatient and want immediate results but our impatience causes major problems when exit polls effect an election rather than a tool to track it.

Exit pols and even polls leading up to an election are like trying to observe an atom. You cannot observe it without effecting it thus making it impossible to know what the results would be in its undisturbed state.

14. #14 by Larry Bergan on November 23, 2008 - 2:44 pm

One more time. Do you think exit polls should be adjusted to reflect what the officials say the final count was, and should the unadjusted count be hidden from the American people?

(will not be published)