What’s good for GM is good for . . .

gmI don’t even want to finish that phrase. Some are predicting now that GM may only exist for another couple of months. From CBS News:

The White House says neither General Motors nor Chrysler submitted acceptable plans to receive more bailout money, setting the stage for a crisis in Detroit and putting in motion what could be the final two months of two American auto giants.

President Barack Obama and his top advisers have determined that neither company is viable and that taxpayers will not spend untold billions more to keep the pair of automakers open forever. In a last-ditch effort, the administration gave each company a brief deadline to try one last time to convince Washington it is worth saving, said senior administration officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity to more bluntly discuss the decision.

This is ominous news indeed. If we thought unemployment was bad now, wait until these mega-corporations go under. It won’t just be a ripple effect, it’ll be a tsunami. We’d all better buckle up.

1. #1 by Moribund Republic on March 30, 2009 - 11:54 am

…and all the money we (under the Obama/ Democrat gun) foolishly paid down to prop this mess up…, is gone as well.

Well, not exactly gone, but now ours again, but in the form of COMPOUNDING DEBT!!

Market tanking, I gave it 3 weeks, surprise!! Only 2 weeks.

2. #2 by Frank Staheli on March 30, 2009 - 12:47 pm

You say the news is ominous. How much less ominous might it have been if we didn’t bail them out in the first place? A lot less. Now even bankruptcy might not help.

Did it take Obama and most of the folks at OneUtah that long to figure out that Bush’s bailout of GM wouldn’t work? (Yes, that same bailout that the current president voted for as a Senator.)

GM CEO Wagoner has had ample time to feather his nest and get away on his luxury yacht while the GM ship goes down in flames. The chances of it having happened any other way are about 1 in 700 billion.

;-(

3. #3 by Moribund Republic on March 30, 2009 - 1:13 pm

“There’s something in the fog ahead”, said the mate.

“Maintain speed, tell the boiler men to put the coal to her”, said the Captain.

“Maintain speed, more coal”, bellowed the mate to the engine room.

“More coal then, aye, MORE COAL” !

“Don’t worry lads, this ship is unsinkable”, said the Cap’n,

CRUNCH!!!

4. #4 by Larry Bergan on March 30, 2009 - 5:54 pm

Frank:

I gave Kucinich $500.00 in the important 2004 s/election. I was making a pretty bad living at the time compared to most even though I worked my butt off. I’m not complaining though; I just never had enough interest in money to climb the success pyramid in that field and was happy to survive pretty well all-in-all.

It seems ridiculous, but I also gave Howard Dean $700.00 even though he was running against Kucinich. Both men were saying things I wanted to hear and both were strongly condemning the voting machines.

What do you think about the voting machines?

5. #5 by Cliff on March 30, 2009 - 5:59 pm

Larry, I just want you to know the ripples of your pebbles continue to expand. Thank you for your integrity. Your legacy is already legend.

May your example echo across the nation for years to come.

6. #6 by Larry Bergan on March 30, 2009 - 6:14 pm

Cliff:

I felt sorry for that poor kid in the pictures. He probably couldn’t figure out what was going on. I hate being photographed myself and you must have some awful pictures from that same “event”, but I thank you deeply for letting me speak out for all this time. Thank goodness the reporter from the Tribune picked a fairly good picture to publish in her article.

I just put a postcard in the mailbox thanking Howard Dean for what I believe may be our last chance to save America’s dignity. It was sent to me from DFA with a picture of Dean on the front looking much like the “Dean Scream” moment. I hope the postman isn’t a freak; he may throw it away.

7. #7 by Larry Bergan on March 30, 2009 - 9:20 pm

Let me elaborate:

Kids aren’t stupid.

Cliff tried to photograph me being approached by a young man who I think truly liked my sign. If a camera hadn’t been present, the scene would have looked somewhat natural, at least as far as a strange 50+ year old man shaking hands with a fourteen year old boy could possibly look. That doesn’t take away from the fact that TRYING to photograph reality ain’t bad in any public place. It’s legal and encouraged by me if it’s not meant for nefarious purposes of ANY kind.

The only place a camera doesn’t change people’s behavior, somewhat, may be inside a “public hearing.” From BradBlog.com.