Glenn Beck Tea Party in America

And this is the real America.  I know. I grew up in rural Pennsylvania.  The part that voted for Bush twice and McCain Palin.

This is the enemy in the Culture War brought to you in a series of dispensations from Newt Gingrich and Tom Delay to Rove and Bush and whats left of the Republican Party.

Listen to the whole thing. This is also the core of the gun lobby.

See video of tea parties around the country here.

Of the Tea Parties, Paul Krugman wrote…

Republicans have become embarrassing to watch. And it doesn’t feel right to make fun of crazy people. Better, perhaps, to focus on the real policy debates, which are all among Democrats.

But here’s the thing: the G.O.P. looked as crazy 10 or 15 years ago as it does now. That didn’t stop Republicans from taking control of both Congress and the White House. And they could return to power if the Democrats stumble. So it behooves us to look closely at the state of what is, after all, one of our nation’s two great political parties.

, , , , , , , , , ,

1. #1 by Uncle Rico on April 12, 2009 - 6:38 pm

Yank your kids from college and burn the books. Yeah, that sounds like a political platform that is destined for success. Go with that lunatic fringe…..please.

2. #2 by Becky on April 12, 2009 - 7:57 pm

Burn them brainwashing books! Marketing got us into this and marketing will get us out of this!

Pure babbling paranoia tinged with insanity.

3. #3 by Rich Okelberry on April 13, 2009 - 8:26 am

Isn’t it so nice to see our nation coming together under Obama? It just makes me all fuzzy inside. Personally I would take a good old fashioned book burning over hanging people “by the neck.” How about you Becky?

4. #4 by Becky on April 13, 2009 - 8:54 am

RO,

Is that really an either/or option?

5. #5 by Richard Warnick on April 13, 2009 - 9:13 am

Is there is anyone reading this who supports the Glenn Beck “I fear for my country” meme?

Here’s a question for you: why not demand the restoration of the U.S. Constitution? Why not ask Congress to repeal the USA PATRIOT Act, the Military Commissions Act and the FISA amendments? Why not urge President Obama to prosecute all the Bush administration people responsible for torture and human rights violations, and illegal warrantless surveillance?

Those are real issues, with a lot of popular support.

6. #6 by Rich Okelberry on April 13, 2009 - 9:28 am

Becky,

I’m just trying to get you to throw a little support behind your leader Cliff. It’s his statement, not mine.

7. #7 by Becky on April 13, 2009 - 9:45 am

Richard W,

I suspect Beck’s fear is derived from the Mormon prophecy that the U.S. Constitution will hang by a thread in the last days. I find a lot of Mormons actually hopefully looking forward to that eventuality. Maybe Ken or Kevin will weigh in on this.

8. #8 by Richard Warnick on April 13, 2009 - 9:56 am

Becky–

Glenn Beck is reaching for the scissors…

9. #9 by HappyHeathen on April 13, 2009 - 10:13 am

It’s almost scary watching the last remnants of the lunatic right drinking and talking politics. A room full of people with the quivering lip syndrome talking burning the books………I’m just saying…….

10. #10 by Anonymous on April 13, 2009 - 11:16 am

And they are sadly kicking progressive ass.

11. #11 by Anonymous on April 13, 2009 - 11:39 am

12. #12 by Anonymous on April 13, 2009 - 11:42 am

RO, I believe because of his public and rather felonious utterance of a death threat in print, (evidence anyone?) on Glenn Beck, Cliff should lose his 2nd amendment privilege. I have filed a complaint and the Dept of Justice is looking into it.

If Cliff wanted fame, he just might get it.

Glen Beck will also be informed, he can then sue civilly. Needless to say, Cliff is the freak on this blog. It is after all, his.

13. #13 by cav on April 13, 2009 - 11:51 am

Correct me if I’m wrong – arent ‘Witch-burners’ typically fueled with books?

As for progressives getting their ass kicked….I was wondering what that pain-in-the- ass was.

14. #14 by Fools errand on April 13, 2009 - 12:06 pm

No Cav, they are fueled with faggots. That would be sticks and burning embers. Flames as it were.

15. #15 by Anonymous on April 13, 2009 - 3:24 pm

16. #16 by Larry Bergan on April 13, 2009 - 5:31 pm

The people in the video look bored to me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a video on YouTube with over 95,000 hits with an approval rating of one and a half stars. Either the teabaggers don’t know how to vote there, or everybody watching is going out of their way not to give it a high rating.

I’m not sure how they get those ratings or determine the viewership anyway because I’ve watched a whole video before without the number going up, even after closing my browser and coming back.

That’s why I feel compelled to go out on the street and find out for myself if my fellow citizens in Utah are as dumb as the rest of the nation thinks we are. That’s why I wrote this article and walked the streets with my sign. The largest national polling organizations sometimes just don’t make any sense and even contradict each other and themselves sometimes.

I am sure that some polling organizations are jerking us around. I can’t find it on Google, (maybe because they pulled it down), but USA Today and the Gallop organization did a poll asking people to respond to this question [paraphrasing]:

Who do you think is most responsible for the AIG mess?
    1. President Obama?
    2. Tim Geitner?
    3. The Congress?
    4. The AIG executives?

Who is missing from that multiple choice question. Tell me the press isn’t still protecting the last administration.

17. #17 by Anonymous on April 13, 2009 - 5:55 pm

Honestly Larry, Bush is gone, the Democrats have run Congress for 3 years.

The rules that allowed this to happen set up by republicans, approved by Clinton. It goes further back to the end of the set currency trading standards to a free floating system in the early 70′s, it goes on to Reagan that started deregulation of all Federally regulated systems during his rein. All the while Democrats either aided or abetted or were too powerless (stupid?) to stop it.

This turd has been coming down the pike for years. It was flushed in Johnson’s era, begun by Kennedy. Eisenhower warned of its tentacles.

It’s finally here. Make provisions. Bring toilet paper and a mop.

18. #18 by Larry Bergan on April 13, 2009 - 6:17 pm

If Obama does everything right, and we become revered in the world again, you won’t have to reveal yourself. How convenient.

19. #19 by Tim Carter on April 13, 2009 - 6:27 pm

Anonymous are you really trying to sell us this guy? Do you really say it out loud, or just in anonymous cyberspace?

Why Chuck Norris didn’t backhand this sniveling little drama queen back in to his corner for embarrassing him (us!), I’ll never know. I’ve lost a little respect for Chuck.

Yup, it is rerun season:

Who was the best sniveler, Anonymous? Swaggart, Baker,and now Beck? How many copies of ‘Sweatin to the Oldies did you buy when Richard Simmons threw down a ‘drama episodes’ in one of his infomercials?

Bottom line, Beck has a big microphone that can sway alot of people. We’ve seen it again and again. He is just the current issue, Anonymous. Don’t be a sucker.

20. #20 by Tim Carter on April 13, 2009 - 6:29 pm

Hey Cliff, I’ve got one in moderation.

21. #21 by Ken on April 13, 2009 - 6:50 pm

Stewart Smalley was declared the “winner” in the Minnesota US Senate race. Appeals are still pending so it is very likely he won’t be seated for quite some time. The only consolation is he will provide a lot of comedy relief but I’m afraid our electoral system has been thrown in the toilet.

I think this Mormon boy might just go to the store and buy some tea.

22. #22 by Becky on April 13, 2009 - 6:57 pm

Ken, you’re buying tea to protest a democratic election? Mormons drink herbal tea. Go for the Lemon Zinger.

23. #23 by Larry Bergan on April 13, 2009 - 7:29 pm

But Ken!

Minnesotan’s need to know who their senator is! He has more votes, and the race has been going on for much longer then Gore vs Bush, and since Scalia said in that decision that no similar abrogation of states rights can occur, doesn’t that make him the undisputed winner?

24. #24 by Larry Bergan on April 13, 2009 - 7:44 pm

Tim Carter:

The Young Turks take on Beck is priceless! Thank you!

I was hoping that the coup de grace of all fake blubbering would occur at the end of Swaggart’s spastic waltz, but I was denied.

25. #25 by Tim Carter on April 13, 2009 - 8:25 pm

Yeah Larry, I couldn’t find as much blubbering as I wanted to, but I hope people got the effect I was trying for. I can’t tolerate that phony crap.

I think Richard Ws take is dead on. Where were these ‘fearful patriots’ when they were passing the Patriot Act, wiretapping, and torturing. Where were their cries of expanded government then. They blubber when it is convenient for them. As a former Chuck Norris fan (loved the jokes). He should be ashamed he got sucked in with this Beck sideshow. Bruce Lee should have kicked his ass.

26. #26 by Larry Bergan on April 13, 2009 - 9:35 pm

Chuck Norris should have fled the scene, he looked uncomfortable to me, but it’s hard to tell on You Tube; HD maybe. I can’t believe that many people showed up in Utah. How embarrassing!

If I ever find out where they truck these people in from…

I don’t think they ever caught Oral Roberts’s incantation on film. Too bad.

27. #27 by Uncle Rico on April 14, 2009 - 6:28 pm

hmmmm….indeed anon.

My first thought was even the crazies know they’re crazy which is why Beck is now running for cover and trying to blame the “burn the books” comment on liberal agent provocateurs.

But what of the “I’m not paying taxes anymore” and “yank your kids from college, they’re being brainwashed” comments by the dude with the Sieg Heil looking hand gestures (which incidentally brought applause from the assembled tea baggers–the comments, not the gestures)? Apparently, they were all plants too.

28. #28 by Anonymous on April 15, 2009 - 12:45 pm

Mormons drink Mormon tea, that bush out in desert there crackheads, better known as the Ephedra plant.

29. #29 by Anonymous on April 15, 2009 - 12:47 pm

Rico, you guys are terrified of Beck, as well he is having an impact.

You have to know, if you are on TV, I don’t take you seriously. This includes politicians on Leno.

I’m screwing with ya, like Beck does, and he laughing all the way to the bank.