Another Glenn Beck Witch Hunt

Just in time for Halloween, Glenn Beck is on Faux News with another witch hunt.

Witch hunt scene from
Witch hunt scene from “Monty Python and the Holy Grail” (1975)

Via Media Matters:

In attacking Anita Dunn, claiming that she “worships” her “hero” Mao Zedong, Glenn Beck has targeted yet another Obama administration official in his Fox News-assisted witch hunt of President Obama’s so-called “czars.” Beck and Fox News have previously attacked with falsehoods and spurious claims White House officials Kevin Jennings, Cass Sunstein, Harold Koh, and Van Jones.

First question: Who is Anita Dunn? Anita Dunn is the interim White House Communications Director.

Next question: Does she worship Chairman Mao? Not any more than Senator John McCain does. Both Dunn and McCain made joking, ironic references to Mao.

Last question: How stupid is Glenn Beck? Very stupid. But he makes $23 million a year.

UPDATE:
Media Matters: Beck, Drudge, WND, Fox Nation falsely accuse Dunn of admitting White House “control” over news media. Based on remarks she made before Obama became president and before she was hired by the White House– about controlling the message, not the media.

1. #1 by Ken on October 19, 2009 - 6:13 pm

These czars are dangerous leftist revolutionaries. Anita Dunn said that Mao Tse Tung was one of her favorite philosophers and to high school children. Her recent attacks on Fox News is proof the scrutiny is getting to them. Scrutiny they thought they would avoid by not having to go through the normal vetting process.

Recently she has boasted, in the Dominican republic, that the Obama Administration “Controls the Media”. All accept Fox News of course which is why they are tying to destroy them.

I’m sure if you weigh Anita Dunn she will weigh the same as a duck.

2. #2 by Cliff on October 20, 2009 - 6:33 am

Ken,

I have no problem with educated people who have studied and admired the great philosophers. Mao was certainly one.

Is she dangerous because she admires Mao? I dont think so. The redistribution of wealth is a good thing and its important for you to understand that.

Will we have to kill so many people like Mao did?

Maybe not soo many, but certainly, there will be people who refuse to give it up and they will have to be dealt with.

3. #3 by brewski on October 20, 2009 - 8:04 am

Somewhere between 20,000,000 and 70,000,000 and you say “maybe not so many”? And were those people just “refusing to give it up”? They weren’t missionaries running hospitals and schools, middle class shopkeepers, small farmers, intellectuals, scientists, democracy advocates?

“They will have to be dealt with”
    Thank you for confirming your place as an evil immoral person.

“The redistribution of wealth is a good thing and its important for you to understand that.”
    I can give you my address where you can send your check.

4. #4 by Richard Warnick on October 20, 2009 - 8:31 am

Ken–

Do you really believe the U.S. government is being run by “dangerous leftist revolutionaries”? Or do you just say that because it’s an entertaining concept?

As for Anita Dunn, she is telling the truth about Faux News:

They are widely viewed as, you know, a part of the Republican Party. Take their talking points, put them on the air. Take their opposition research, put them on the air, and that’s fine. But let’s not pretend they’re a news network they way CNN is.

5. #5 by Ken on October 20, 2009 - 8:40 am

It must be comforting for the American news media to know they are “Controlled” by the White House according to Anita Dunn. Wouldn’t her favorite philosopher and the one she “looks to the most” be proud. Hey what is 60-70 million Chinese dead? In a country with over a billion people that is but a drop in the bucket. A small price to pay for living in a workers paradise that Anita Dunn admires so fondly.

6. #6 by Richard Warnick on October 20, 2009 - 9:01 am

Ken–

Anita Dunn is not a Maoist.

Stephen C. Shadegg, adviser to Sen. Barry Goldwater:

“Give me just two or three men in a village and I will take the village.” Shadegg comments: ” In the Goldwater campaigns of 1952 and 1958 and in all other campaigns where I have served as consultant I have followed the advice of Mao Tse-tung.” “I would suggest,” writes senator Goldwater in Why Not Victory? “that we analyze and copy the strategy of the enemy; theirs has worked and ours has not (Harpers Magazine)

GOP Strategist Ralph Reed:

“Mao Tse-Tung said politics is war without bloodshed,” he said. “Clearly, there are some metaphors that sit nicely with politics.” (The Seattle Times, 10/25/1992, from Nexis)

Karl Rove, speaking of George W Bush:

We recommended volumes to each other (for example, he encouraged me to read a Mao biography; I suggested a book on Reconstruction’s unhappy end). We discussed the books and wrote thank-you notes to some authors. (Wall Street Journal)

Newt Gingrich in 1995:

“War is politics with blood; politics is war without blood.” (Direct Mao Quote. Source: Mitchell Blatt, LA Times)

Are you going to answer my question? Do you truly believe that leftist revolutionaries are in control of the U.S. government?

7. #7 by Ken on October 20, 2009 - 10:30 am

Richard

Quoting Mao is one thing but praising him is another. She didn’t actually quote anything he said but rather she praised what he did and said he is a philosopher she looks to the most. I don’t see anything similar to any of the people you mention above.

Obama has shockingly surrounded himself with a large number of self proclaimed communists, Marxists, and radical revolutionaries. Nothing has been made up about these people, unlike the lies that were spread about Rush Limbaugh.

We are only taking what these people have actually said. These are not isolated incidents but rather they show a pattern. Throughout Obama’s life he has surrounded himself with people like this.

From Dreams of my Father:

“To avoid being mistaken for a sellout, I chose my friends carefully. The more politically active black students. The foreign students. The Chicanos. The Marxist professors and structural feminists.”

Yes Obama has chose his friends carefully and have brought them with him to the White House. So Richard the answer is yes, leftist revolutionaries are in control of the U.S. government.

8. #8 by Richard Warnick on October 20, 2009 - 11:08 am

Ken–

You’re right, Dunn only paraphrased Mao in an anecdote she took from Lee Atwater. She did not praise Mao.

“The use of the phrase ‘favorite political philosophers’ was intended as irony, but clearly the effort fell flat — at least with a certain Fox commentator whose sense of irony may be missing.”

Glenn Beck chopped the video to take her words out of context.

The Obama administration has a “large number of self-proclaimed communists, Marxists, and radical revolutionaries”? You can’t actually believe that.

Rush Limbaugh discredits himself every day by words that come out of his own mouth. What “lies” could compete with Limbaugh’s own statements?

Ken, I’m worried that you are actually being taken in by right-wing propaganda. Repeating the lies to stir up debate is one thing, but believing them yourself? Say it ain’t so.

9. #9 by cav on October 20, 2009 - 1:00 pm

Richard, the concern you express; that Ken may be slipping away from correct thought is surprizing to me, for I’ve never know him to be anything but a wingtard of the most rabid and distasteful sort.

Worse, he, with his distorted take on reality seem to have found a nice warm niche right here at OneUtah. Fitting I suppose, all the while maintaining the spooked perspective on most things political, he has always had.

10. #10 by Cliff Lyon on October 20, 2009 - 6:41 pm

I think Ken is kidding, sort of, most of the time.

Here’s why…

I have met Ken, and I have engaged his brother and Mother on Facebook.

Ken is the more lovable of his siblings, probably. They are good God fearing folks. I think Ken’s brother is terminal Glenn Beck. I think he is Ken’s elder. I sensed the brightest light in Mother Bingham but was asked to cease and desist our very pleasant and polite facebook exchange by Ken’s brother, and I did…cease and desist.

…but not before I gleaned some reservation on her part as per her sons’ hard and hardening right-wing stance (like cement shoes). How could she not be alarmed? But she seems a good woman who decided long ago to subordinate her discomfort with the politics of her sons (and probably husband) for the benefit of the family.

Mrs. Ken (Kens Mom) puts her family ahead of all else. She is a great and powerful woman who raised at least two, quite remarkable, confident, loving, kind, smart and lovable boys.

There is no possible way Ken can be as far out as he acts/writes and have come from such a great Mom.

11. #11 by anonymous on October 20, 2009 - 9:09 pm

My God, you are eating mushrooms again Cliff!

12. #12 by Uncle Rico on October 20, 2009 - 9:59 pm

Everytime I read one of Ken’s posts, I’m reminded of this Tom Tomorrow cartoon.

13. #13 by Richard Warnick on October 21, 2009 - 9:10 am

Cliff–

Thanks for the reassurance, I also think Ken is too smart to actually believe the right-wing talking points. He’s just catapulting the propaganda to see what we do with it!

BTW is “terminal Glenn Beck” covered by health care, or is it a pre-existing condition?

14. #14 by Larry Bergan on October 22, 2009 - 11:49 am

Uncle Rico:

Tom Tomorrow is the best! In that recent interview Hannity had with Michael Moore, Moore brought up the weapons of mass destruction just to test Sean and he STILL thinks they may find them.

Hope you don’t mind me taking the liberty to paste the cartoon in your comment.

15. #15 by Larry Bergan on October 22, 2009 - 12:24 pm

Frank Schaeffer, (author of “Crazy For God), who had a big part in starting all of this wingnut craziness with his parents is probably the harshest critic of the same these days sent this open letter to Rupert Murdock about Beck.

He is very worried, and we ALL should be!

(will not be published)