Marilyn Davenport: A Racist Teabagger From OC California.

Speaking of nameless cowards, there is one alleged “coward” in southern California we should be grateful to for exposing Marilyn Davenport, a Southern California Tea Party activist and member of the central committee of the Orange County Republican Party, as a racist teabagger.  Indeed, a teabagger to which all the majority of teabaggers might someday aspire were they honest enough to come out publicly and admit their true feelings why they resent President and First Lady Michelle Obama occupying the White House.

Here is a shot at Davenport’s handiwork:

Her explanation?

Oh, come on! Everybody who knows me knows that I am not a racist. It was a joke. I have friends who are black. Besides, I only sent it to a few people–mostly people I didn’t think would be upset by it.

But Marilyn apparently does not see her being labeled a racist a joking matter:

After this story was published, she sent another email to fellow California conservative activists. It demanded to know the identity of “the coward” who supplied [The Weekly] with a copy of her offensive email.

Nice joke, Marilyn!!  Oh, and thank you Jesus for this “coward.”

, , , ,

1. #1 by M. Jordan on April 16, 2011 - 1:19 pm

Marilyn we thank you for being yourself and being honest with yourself and your friends. There are lots of people that feel the same way but hide it under spending money to search for birth certificates, others like Jan Brewer who would sign the law requiring the only black president of the united states to produce a birth certificate for the first time in the history of the united states. You need not hide behind the email, you are who you are , we assume 43 Presidents were born in the United States as for “that one” we need to prove it. As beautiful as she is she could be depicting President Obama the way she did. I am sure her offspring is learning from her and admiring the wonderful person she is.

2. #2 by Ms. Leo on April 16, 2011 - 1:41 pm

This woman is disgusting-I live in California and stay away from Orange County! Orange county is known for it’s Skin Head Racist -Nazi Lovers and I believe she is one of them! I say HANG HER FOR TREASON AGAINST OUR COUNTRY!!!! Davenport has clearly exposed the Tea Baggers for who they truly are-REPUBLICON RACIST!!!!!!!

3. #3 by Pamela Ranberg on April 16, 2011 - 2:14 pm

Next time you Repubs want to know why “the blacks” vote Democratic – THIS IS WHY!!! Thanks for showing yourself for who and what you are.

4. #4 by Jen on April 16, 2011 - 2:15 pm

Ms. Leo: you are ignorant. I disagree with this woman’s actions and think she acted is bad taste and does not model the ethics that I would want of a civic employee, but that was her decision, not the decision of the county. Condemning an entire county for the actions of one person is not a far cry from the racists that condemn an entire set of people based of one or two individuals/traits or stereotypes. You don’t live here, you don’t come here, you have no basis to comment on the people that do. We have several culturally rich and vibrant communities. We are not all racist, we are financially conservative for the most part, but most wealthy areas are. If you bothered to get off of your soap box and visit, you would find that the majority of the people here are kind, open to different races, religions and sexual preferences, the streets are safe and the air is clean. We are not known for our skin heads (thugh there are certainly some here, and in most counties in the county). You need to shut your mouth and stick to what you know.

5. #5 by James Farmer on April 16, 2011 - 2:24 pm

Jen:

The reason the majority of folks in OC are kind and open to different races, etc., is the majority of folks in OC are wealthy, white and conservative. Your observation and opinion would likely be far different were more blacks, Muslims and liberals to move into the OC confines. So let’s back off the shut your mouth rhetoric, as you appear not much different from Ms. Davenport once you start down that road.

Peace out and cheers.

6. #6 by brewski on April 16, 2011 - 2:47 pm

the majority of folks in OC are wealthy, white and conservative.

This is factually wrong.

OC is the home to Santa Ana, a largely Latino and lower middle class city.

I was in Anaheim a few months ago to go to Disneyland. One day I took my daughter to a normal neighborhood park in Anaheim to play on the slides and swings. There was no one else who spoke English in the Park at all.

OC is home to Garden Grove, and the official sign on the freeway designates it as “LIttle Saigon”.

UC Irvine in OC is nicknamed “University of Chines and Indians”.

Tiger Woods is from OC.

Michael Chang is from OC.

OC makes Utah look like, well Utah.

So to make statements like you did only go to advertise your ignorance and stupidity. You are just plain wrong wrong wrong.

Thanks for confirming my previous impressions of you.

7. #7 by James Farmer on April 16, 2011 - 3:02 pm

brew:

Sorry to burst your balloon.

“Just two percent of Orange County’s 3 million population is African American.” Comes from the OC Weekly itself. If you want to quibble about the other claims, feel free to do so, but the point remains the same

Thanks for confirming my previous impressions of you – rarely a speaker of substance, generally a quibbler of the insignificant.

8. #8 by brewski on April 16, 2011 - 3:11 pm

From the biased source, the US Census Bureau:

White persons not Hispanic, percent, 2009 45.5%

So that means, everyone else is 54.5%

You lose, loser.

9. #9 by brewski on April 16, 2011 - 3:14 pm

You are stupid and you are dishonest. Why would you only isolate the percent of black people but igore Hispanic and Asians? Don’t they count, or are you just racist?

Your “point” is the same, but the facts don’t agree with your point, as usual.

10. #10 by brewski on April 16, 2011 - 3:23 pm

Median household income, 2008
    $74,862

So half of the households (remember more than one person can earn an income in each household) earn less than $74,862.

Not what most people would call “wealthy” since Obama has defined wealthy as those making over $250,000 per year.

You lose again. Ha!

11. #11 by jjohnsen on April 16, 2011 - 3:38 pm

I wonder how many of her “black friends” she forwarded the email to?

12. #12 by KarenMiller on April 16, 2011 - 3:47 pm

You seriously think this severely mentally challenged racist HAS any “black friends?”

Funny!

13. #13 by James Farmer on April 16, 2011 - 4:38 pm

brew:

We get your point – my statement re OC demographics is debatable under your version of current statistics. Congratulations on your discovery and I hope calling me a loser makes you feel better. Certainly gives me pleasure to see you get your panties tied in such a knot over what is clearly a subject open to interpretation.

That said, I find it rather curious that not for a moment have you condemned Davenport for her statements and obvious racist feelings. Is that because you share her beliefs – i.e., are you, indeed, the racist teabagger you always make yourself out as being? Sure looks that way. Have a nice day!

14. #14 by jjohnsen on April 16, 2011 - 5:40 pm

Karen, that’s why I put black friends in quotes.

15. #15 by Cliff on April 16, 2011 - 5:45 pm

Hey Brewski, Long time no speak. Good to see you are still apologizing for racism. At least, you are consistent.

16. #16 by Meah Bottoms on April 16, 2011 - 6:23 pm

As a Democrat born and raised in the Los Angeles area, I would NEVER move to Orange County. It would be like moving to an area that is antithetical to everything I believe in. I would not want to be around all of the white right wing Republicans who gather there. I have been stuck living in an area that is very conservative in the Central Valley of CA and it was not a happy place to be for me. Full of black and white thinkers. And not too smart. The woman who did this depiction of our president is a disrespectful bigot, and she should be ashamed of herself.

17. #17 by shane on April 16, 2011 - 8:14 pm

“Whatever happened to respect for the president? what ever happened to respect for the office that he holds?”

-the morons at faux news for 8 years under bush

“Secular Muslim monkey from Kenya!”

-People who watch faux news showing the afore mentioned respect

“Kenya actually has a very small monkey population compared to many other nations.”

-brewski latching onto the single least relevant bit of information in the entire thread

“It can be proven by dowsing for electromagnetic pulses detectable only by a muslim monkey’s anus that the globe is fact cooling, and besides the warming we are seeing isn’t damaging in anyway, and you can’t prove it is. Besides monkeys have been dowsing for over 13 thousand years. Both sides say what they want and in the end everything will be destroyed anyway. Also there are too many states now a days. Please eliminate three.”

-he who shall not be named!

18. #18 by cav on April 16, 2011 - 9:00 pm

My take on the photo above, was that the trio (aside from the photoshopped face of Obama and the weird need to represent with fashion threads) looks pretty distinguished and smart. So much more so than McConnel or Bachman for instance.

I must have some weakness for intelligent life.

I’m sorry I felt the need to derrogate 43 as the ‘chimp’. That was then, and this is now.

19. #19 by James Farmer on April 16, 2011 - 9:22 pm

cav:

Then vs. now, but the circumstances are completely different. The commentary on HuffPo in this regard is telling. Only brew-types would draw the connection. You are hereby authorized to sleep well tonight.

20. #20 by cav on April 16, 2011 - 9:46 pm

James, if you recall during the Dem Primaries, the stir was so great because we knew that whichever way we went, the party – and very likely the entire nation, would be forced to face one of two of our pet bugga-boos. SEXISM OR RACISM. I thought it was a nifty set-up, but I overlooked how deeply entrenched some of these attitudes happened to be – living in my bubble of utopian myths as I do.

Well, we’re dealing with it, and it’s not always pretty. It’s been said dealing with this type of thing is ‘Hard hard hard’, so it really must be. I for one have always had a soft spot in my being for all sorts of creatures, and really the most challenging – far more challenging than either racism or sexism, is having to put up with the insanity and stupidity of the wingtards and Rovians.

21. #21 by James Farmer on April 16, 2011 - 10:21 pm

cav et al.: Sitting here in front of the TV watching a movie starring Charles Bronson called “Mr. Majestyk.” I cannot help but wonder which of the characters in the movie Ms. Davenport and the teabagger community would support. I doubt it would be Charles Bronson – a then-icon of the country the baggers want to “take back.” Maybe our favorite bagger – Brewski – would care to chime in.

22. #22 by John on April 16, 2011 - 11:51 pm

The hoods have certainly come off. The sense of common decency has been lost in the last couple years. Hatred and bigotry of the 1950’s and 1960’s is back. The fact that we have a black president is so abhorent to some people that they cannot rise above hatred and pure racism. How does this crap become news. Why is she even given the decency of having her name in print.

23. #23 by John on April 16, 2011 - 11:56 pm

oh, and by the way, would someone please post a picture of Ms. Davenport so that we can superimpose it on a picture of a questionably immoral woman and send it to my friends? Afterall, I have many friends that are immoral women.

24. #24 by James Farmer on April 17, 2011 - 12:17 am

John: I tried to get you a photo of Ms. Davenport. After trying, though, I have to tell you there are more than a few Ms. D’s out there who never expected so much traffic at their own pages or sites. Regardless, if Marilyn Davenport has a modicum of self-respect, she’ll post her own picture for all to see.

25. #25 by Rico on April 17, 2011 - 8:14 am

I don’t get the joke Marilyn. What exactly is it?

26. #26 by brewski on April 17, 2011 - 9:28 am

Cliff,
    Please show me exactly where I apologized for racism.

Show me, now. You can’t since I didn’t.

What I did is prove that Mr. Farmer is a liar.

As for the picture by Mrs. Davenport, it is in very poor taste.

No worse taste that this:

ttp://www.internetweekly.org/images/monkey_with_a_gun.jpg

or this

or this

etc.

But Cliff, that is your problem. You can’t deal with equality or equality of treatment. You can’t deal with your failed hero being treated the same way that every president other than Washington was. You want special treatment. You want universal fawning for someone who has reneged on every single campaign promise. Name one he kept.

Cliff, again, it isn’t my opinion, it is just the objective fact that you lose again.

27. #27 by John on April 17, 2011 - 9:31 am

Cliff, it was a joke about the picture…just like Ms. Davenport said it was a joke. Didn’t you get it?

28. #28 by Rico on April 17, 2011 - 9:55 am

brew- although all of your examples are in less than good taste, only the pic by Davenport has an overt and undeniable racial element to it. Without even looking into Davenport’s motivations, it’s very difficult to believe that she did not intend to make a racial connection. If she did, at a minimum her piece is racist; if she did not, then she’s dumber than dirt.

29. #29 by brewski on April 17, 2011 - 10:02 am

Rico,
    Can you explain to me the differences which make Mrs. Davenport’s piece worse than the other ones. Please cite the actual differences between the actual pieces which make it different and more objectionable.

30. #30 by Rico on April 17, 2011 - 10:12 am

brew- well, first note that I did not say one was worse than the other(s). What I said was that there was an overt and undeniable racial element to Davenport’s piece. Do you disagree with that?

Second, I suppose it depends upon how one views racism. If one thinks its acceptable to publish racists materials, then Davenport’s work is no worse than the others. If one finds racism to be a particularly virulent thread in the tapestry of bad taste, then Davenport’s work IS worse than the others (unless, one just doesn’t see, or intentionally ignores it’s racial components).

31. #31 by Rico on April 17, 2011 - 10:19 am

BTW brew, before you ask, I do think the Davenport piece is worse than the others because I believe it is racist (probably by design).

32. #32 by Rico on April 17, 2011 - 10:35 am

“It is dripping with racism and it does not promote the type of message Orange County Republicans want to deliver to the public. I think she should consider stepping down as an elected official.”
    -Scott Baugh, Chairman of the Orange County Republican Party

33. #33 by Prince Kalisa on April 17, 2011 - 10:36 am

It is very sad for your nation, it is very sad fro people who elected her to such big position. If u have brain and eyes yet you think you have a monke as you president the you must be also a monkey, because you can’t allow a monkey to lead human beings as their president. It shows that your resist bahavior pushes you to think even white ladies married to Black Africans are monkeys. If a senotor of a well civilized country thinks like that, I fill pity on America, it is sad you elect stupid and foolish bogus people in your in such big office. Of course she thinks like her brother Hitler, she is comlitely a Nazi, she deserved to live at the time of Hitler not this Century. I’m so sad as an African, I always fight people who have such kind of behavior, I opposed someone who wanted to potray whites as pigs because of their skin, it is stupid because you can’t change people to animals even if you want, but you yourself becames a dimon when you think your fellow human being is an animal. If I were you I would repent to God and resgn!!!! May God forgive you!!!!!

34. #34 by James Farmer on April 17, 2011 - 11:41 am

brew:

You really cannot help yourself, can you. Talk about dodging the issue through baseless ad hominem comments (“liar”?? … rather pathetic dodge, even for you, brew) and mischaracterization of the point (mere “poor taste”? … sounds more like an apologist characterization). Might be better for you to just come out and admit you are a racist teabagger, as many have thought all along based on your commentary. Life will be easier for you once you do.

35. #35 by Larry Bergan on April 17, 2011 - 12:18 pm

Davenport was probably angry about this picture, but if you tell me you don’t get a kick out of it, you don’t have a sense of humor.

36. #36 by Larry Bergan on April 17, 2011 - 12:32 pm

I find the Obama picture to be disgusting and unfunny for obvious reasons.

37. #37 by cmaa825 on April 17, 2011 - 2:01 pm

Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Roger Hedgecock, Rusty Humphries, Michelle “Crazy-Ass” Bachmann, Sarah Palin, and the like, will either ignore the story, or defend her by saying something like, “This was all done in just. The ‘left’ is being too sensitive…it’s no big deal…she was just kidding….” And pathetic black buffoon conservative, Rev. Jesse Peterson, will probably add his typical rush to defend white racists who either make racist comments, or commit other acts of racism against other blacks by saying something like, “How do we know that Marilyn Davenport really sent that email? [even though she’s already admitted to doing so] I don’t think that it’s racist anyway. Obama is the real racist. Maybe he’s the one behind this email. He probably just did it to drum up sympathy for himself. Marilyn Davenport is not the racist here.” This would be a typical Jesse Peterson-type statement. Hannity will probably have him on his Fox News show real soon to defend Marilyn Davenport and attack President Obama.

38. #38 by brewski on April 17, 2011 - 2:29 pm

Davenport piece is worse than the others because I believe it is racist

What about Davenport’s piece is racist? What makes the piece racist. It is your belief so you should be able to explain it.

baseless ad hominem comments (“liar”??

Wrong again. You call it baseless and I give you irrefutable facts from the US Census Bureau.

You call it ad hominem and I give you evidence.

I have challenged everyone on this site to show my one single racist thing I have ever said on this site and all of you scurry like cockroaches when the lights come on. You have nothing, and I mean nothing to support your ad hominem that I am racist. You just can’t fathom that anyone has any reason not to support your Statist cult of personality emotional feelings and opinions. So lacking any evidence or analysis you resort to the last resort of a intellectual loser and you throw out the R-bomb. Whenever, you do that, which is pretty much every day when I body slam you with evidence, I know I won, again.

39. #39 by James Farmer on April 17, 2011 - 2:45 pm

brew:

In answer to your request that you be shown a racist statement, see the following, which appeared in your above comment:

What about Davenport’s piece is racist? What makes the piece racist.

If you do not see the blatant racism in Ms. Davenport’s handiwork, you are a racist. If you are more focused on personal attacks against me, rather than condemning Ms. Davenport’s handiwork, you are a racist. The fact is, brew, you are so flipping racist, you cannot yourself see or recognize it. Indeed, it doesn’t even register on your ra[cist]dar. No worries, though, as everyone else sees and recognizes it. We’ll keep you informed, moreover, when things get too blatant our out of hand, like they are right now, so you might temper your commentary and, at the least, not appear outwardly racist.

I might point out to you, brew, yet again, that this piece is about Ms. Davenport and her racist tendencies, yet you confine your comments to me – Statist cult, liar, stupid, intellectual loser, etc. Indeed, your tacit support for Ms. Davenport’s handiwork, and overt efforts to dodge actual commentary on the issue through personal attacks having nothing to do with the issue, further evidences you as a racist – a genuine teabagging racist.

You are a prize, brew, a real life prize. Enjoy your Sunday.

40. #40 by brewski on April 17, 2011 - 3:05 pm

You have a vivid imagination as to what constitutes evidence. Both sentences are questions asking you what you believe about the piece is racist. You have not answered the question so I can only conclude that you cannot answer the question. So you know that you cannot answer the question, so you throw the R-bomb. In other word, you lose, again.

ndeed, your tacit support for Ms. Davenport’s handiwork,

Show me evidence of this. I have not. Factually. You lose again.

41. #41 by Cliff on April 17, 2011 - 3:08 pm

Brew, I’m glad you finally asked what racism is rather than embarrass yourself by pronouncing blatantly racist behavior to be something else.

This one in particular is really easy. When you associate Black folks with monkeys, apes, or any (but not restricted to) primates, that’s racist.

Got it?

42. #42 by James Farmer on April 17, 2011 - 3:08 pm

brew:

Keep on keepin’ on, brother. You are doing an amazing job on yourself with your commentary.

43. #43 by Upset on April 17, 2011 - 3:29 pm

A lot of White people are constantly trying to convience Black people that there’s no discrimination in the United States and that they don’t discriminate against Blacks. This e-mail by Davenport proves that discrimination exist and that the strong stench of biogtry continues to live in our society. If I ever get an opportunity to meet Davenport, I will cuss her out. That’s a promise. This e-mail is outrageous against the President of the United States. For those of you who don’t believe that racism is the reason President Obama is treated with such distain, Davenport just proved it. It’s all about race with this President and nothing more. White Teabagger Republicans like Davenport has let her true feelings be known as well as all of the rest of those pathetic followers in the Republican party. As an African-American I will not accept her apology, because when she depicts an African-American as a chimpanzee, she’s including all African-Americans as chimpanzees. What a racist and hateful society we live in and it isn’t getting any better.

44. #44 by Rico on April 17, 2011 - 3:38 pm

brew- I’m really quite amazed that you’re sitting around scratching your dome over how I could possibly conclude that a depiction of a black family as a bunch of apes is racist. As Cliff mentioned, the depiction of blacks as apes is and has been commonly used by bigots of all stripes to de-humanize blacks and suggest that they are intellectually and evolutionarily not as advanced as whites. Hell, even the Chairman of the Orange County Republican Party recognizes that.

Your turn.

What is your belief and what is the basis for it?

45. #45 by Richard Warnick on April 17, 2011 - 3:43 pm

Just to keep things in perspective, President Bill Clinton (another right-leaning Democrat) was relentlessly attacked by the GOP for years. Most of what they said about him had no basis in fact. When Senator John Kerry ran for President, they went after him with baseless accusations. Insane partisan attacks from the right are not new.

It is highly disrespectful to depict the President of the United States as an ape. Utah’s own Pat Bagley did it, and we laughed. That said, by doing it to a black Chief Executive you’re getting into racist territory, and you’re bound to offend many more people than you entertain.

46. #46 by James Farmer on April 17, 2011 - 3:54 pm

Richard:

You raise a good point, but there is a further, far more sinister, difference between the two characterizations. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don’t think Ma and Pa Bush were ever depicted as chimps along with George Jr. Further still, George Jr. was depicted as a chimp, rightly or wrongly, based on his intellect and poor decisions; Ms. Davenport depicted Obama, and his parents, as a chimp based on the color of his skin.

47. #47 by brewski on April 17, 2011 - 4:57 pm

When you associate Black folks with monkeys, apes, or any (but not restricted to) primates, that’s racist. Got it?

Cliff, thank you for doing what no one else on this site seems capable of doing, which is answering a simple question, or not answering a question with a question. I appreciate your response.

Now, I have another question. Is it ok to portray any given white president as a monkey and not ok to portray any given black president as a monkey? Yes or no?

I still contend that asking James why he thought it was a racist piece (note I never said I didn’t agree with him) was not racist by me in any stretch of the imagination.

I watched Henry Louis Gates, Jr. interview people about Lincoln, salvery and racism. I found the program very interesting. But I did not assume Gates was a racist for asking questions of people even though he already knew the answer. His point in asking the questions was to learn what they thought and why they thought it. Not get answers to questions he already knew.

I am amazed you can’t tell the difference.

Getting back to the world of factual reality, James said:

Obama’s mother is as white as the driven snow. She was also depicted as a monkey in the Davenport piece. So was the same actual picture not racist with regard to Obama’s mother, but racist with regard to him? Even though it is the same picture with the same rendering?

48. #48 by James Farmer on April 17, 2011 - 5:15 pm

brew: Still parsing insignificant crap to make a point that has nothing to do with the issue at hand. Good on you. But to bring you back to reality, the point is that Obama was depicted as having monkeys (or chimps, etc.) as parents. It makes not a whim of a difference whether Obama’s real mother was white or black; the depiction was all about Obama and characterized him as having monkeys for parents. You are getting there, my friend, but have a way to go.

49. #49 by Danita Williams-Johnson on April 17, 2011 - 6:07 pm

Whether you all are hearing yourselves or not; you are sounding like Davenport by calling people you do not know names such as “stupid” and demanding they “shut up”, etc. Come now people… If OC is what you are claiming it is, why are those claiming to be representative of OC doing so much name calling? Why can’t people be respectful when addressing others-especially, when they are people you do not know? To be offended by comments made about OC should not trigger the name calling any more than Black people should begin calling Davenport names because of what she has done. The world need to learn to be kinder to one another; and, we can then come to a meeting of the minds, peacefully.

50. #50 by brewski on April 17, 2011 - 9:15 pm

James,
    So what you are now saying is that it is racist to portray Obama as a monkey since he is black, and it is also racist to portray Obama’s mother as monkey even though she is white since it doesn’t actually matter what race she is. Also it is ok to portray other presidents including Lincoln as monkeys since he was a Republican and all crticisms of Republicans is always enlightened and insightful, but any criticism of any black politician is solely motivated by racism. Except if the black politician is Republican then you don’t know what to do.

Whew, I finally got your point.

51. #51 by Rico on April 17, 2011 - 9:18 pm

brew- I answered your question and told you the basis for my answer. Why won’t you answer the question I have asked you twice previously? Is it because if you agree that Davenport’s piece is racist then you also admit that this has just been one big intellectual circle jerk?

52. #52 by Rico on April 17, 2011 - 9:23 pm

but any criticism of any black politician is solely motivated by racism.

Is that what Davenport’s piece was? Criticism of Obama?

53. #53 by James Farmer on April 17, 2011 - 9:35 pm

brew: You know what the point is, but you’re being extraordinarily obstinate for some reason today in admitting such. And that, my friend, leads me right back to the conclusion reached previously by others – you are a racist teabagger. Get some help.

54. #54 by brewski on April 17, 2011 - 9:41 pm

Sorry, I was having too much fun playing with James’ factual ignorance about the demographics of OC and the hypocrisy of the left in general when it comes to insulting politicians.

So do I think Davenport is a racist? I don’t know. To know that would involve reading her mind and seeing inside her heart.

Was the piece offensive, in poor taste, stupid and worthy of getting fired from her party position? Yes. There should be no room for that sort of crap.

I can think of a few examples on the Dem side (Byrd, Ferraro, Clinton, Biden, Reid, etc.), but that would be expecting equality, and we know we can’t have that.

55. #55 by brewski on April 17, 2011 - 9:43 pm

It is one thing to be obstinate. It is quite another to be racist.

You have evidence for one, but none for the other.

56. #56 by brewski on April 17, 2011 - 9:46 pm

Sophisticated political discourse according to Democrats:

57. #57 by Rico on April 17, 2011 - 9:50 pm

I guess that’s where you and I diverge in our thinking. If someone called Obama a nigger, I wouldn’t have to look into his/her heart to conclude that they are racist. Their actions and speech speak for themselves. I see this particular piece the same way.

58. #58 by James Farmer on April 17, 2011 - 9:53 pm

brew:

As mentioned previously, you are unlikely to admit what you cannot see. We’ll keep you informed, though, as things get out of hand.

59. #59 by brewski on April 17, 2011 - 9:56 pm

So using your logic, you will not admit what you cannot see. And you cannot see that you have the intellectual depth of plankton.

60. #60 by brewski on April 17, 2011 - 10:00 pm

Are you so sure with that statement?

As we know, it is acceptable by some for black people to use the n word. It could be used about Obama in an affectionate or comlimentary way by some. Such as, “it is finally good to have one of us n’s in the white house.” Or, “that Obama sure is one smart n.”

But under your standard as you explained above, you would call that black person who called Obama an n, a racist.

Fascinating.

61. #61 by James Farmer on April 17, 2011 - 10:03 pm

brew:

That the best you got – the intellectual depth of plankton? Not sure where that places you on the intellectual spectrum, but it isn’t very high. One thing is, however, certain: your commentary paints you clearly as racist. Too bad, too, as the Tea Party already has too many racists.

62. #62 by David on April 18, 2011 - 2:56 am

These people don’t have any solutions to the real problems that we face today in the area of economy or national security. The only topic they can talk about for months is Obama’s birth certificate. I would like to believe that Davenport’s joke will damage the reputation of the Tea Party and that of the GOP but when I look at some European countries where politicians intentionally come up with radical nationalistic ideas in order to increase their own popularity I am afraid my wish will not come true.

63. #63 by Craig on April 18, 2011 - 7:19 am

Dumb bitch. Hides behind her emails and then is too stupid to know when she has screwed up…..she takes her cues from Sarah Palin, a pair of brain dead dimwits.

64. #64 by Craig on April 18, 2011 - 7:21 am

Brewski, kiss my ass you cracker coward.

65. #65 by Rico on April 18, 2011 - 7:27 am

Are you so sure with that statement?

I guess I should have been more precise. If a non-black person called Obama a nigger, the burden shifts to them to demonstrate to me that they are not racist. Blacks have wisely co-opted the term much like homosexuals co-opted “queer” as a means to blunt its negative connotations and force. Non-blacks (particularly whites) have forfeited the right to use that appellation when describing blacks.

66. #66 by Rico on April 18, 2011 - 7:53 am

Btw, Davenport apparently has some additional history with racially divisive issues:

“Former Chairman of the California Republican Party Michael Schroder has demanded Davenport’s resignation saying it’s not her first brush with racist rhetoric.

In February 2009, Los Alamitos Mayor Dean Grose, another Orange County Republican, emailed the White House watermelon image and then apologized. While others demanded he step down, Davenport defended him. When a Newport City Councilman voted against installing grass turf near the beach because it would “attract Mexicans”, Schroder claims that she supported him as well.

“That’s three strikes,” he says.”

67. #67 by cav on April 18, 2011 - 7:55 am

Hey, plankton are smart! Compared to me anyways!

Paul Ryan – no species slur implied or intended.

68. #68 by Rico on April 18, 2011 - 8:06 am

I hear Davenport is working on a new mailer. It depicts Obama traveling down the road in his big Caddy with a bucket of fried chicken and a watermelon at his side. Innocent, side-splitting stuff really.

69. #69 by brewski on April 18, 2011 - 8:29 am

The problem with you people is tha you have competely diluted the meaning of the word racist. It is a very serious word and to overuse it is to kill its meaning.

Cliff stated that anyone who didn’t vote for Obama is a racist.

Glenden has said that a cop being a dickhead to a white person is a cop being a dickhead. But a cop being a dickhead to a black person is racist.

So the word racist ceases to have any meaning when it gets overused in inappropriate places. Then when there is a real case of racism and you want to use the word correctly, its correct use loses its punch.

People like Davenport have no place in any party. And if that is our standard then neither do Byrd, Ferraro, Clinto, Biden and Reid. I am still waiting for the Dems to disown all of them.

But that would be judging people based on their character and not the color of their skin, or the letter after their name. And we can’t have that now can we?

So calling me a cracker is acceptable, but anyone throwing a racially descriptive word at someone else is not?

70. #70 by cav on April 18, 2011 - 8:40 am

‘Cracker coward’ was kinda low Craig.

brewski, while often at odds with some stream of commie thought often exhibited herein, is otherwise a valued and respected member of our little community.

71. #71 by Flicks on April 18, 2011 - 8:54 am

So much right and so much wrong. I just don’t see a lot being said about these websites that are re-publishing the picture so they can get hits. How many of you searched just to see the picture. WOW! So many ready to condemn. I know I have on many occasion fwd and emailed what I and friends thought to be funny JOKES. This person was stupid. Yet, the person who fwd’s it to a publisher has intent of harm. God bless and try not to be such a hater.

72. #72 by Baptist Archbishop Waltre Dixon on April 18, 2011 - 9:45 am

Baptist Archbishop Walter Dixon Calling For GOP Marilyn Davenport Too Be Damn Fired and Kick Out Now!

cc: President Barack Obama, First Family Members and Media.

Archbishop Walter Dixon of Forgiveness Missionary Church of Christ-Atlanta, GA, Official Press Release Join California N.A.A.C.P. Calling for Marilyn Davenport GOP Central Committee Member of Orange County Republican Leaders to be damn fired immediately!

What she has done is stupid and a disgrace to America and all American especially the African Americans community.

I personally consider her racist action as an insult to my wife, children, grandchildren and this woman should not be allowed to hold any public office or serve on any party committees.

Enough is enough of racist comments against our President Barack Obama. Now is the time for the GOP to show all Americans they will not stand for this type of insult to our President Barack Obama.

Freedom of speech is one thing, her action has gone to far.

Baptist Archbishop Walter Dixon
    Atlanta, GA

73. #73 by Rico on April 18, 2011 - 10:07 am

I don’t disagree that use of a term can dilute its meaning. That’s why blacks have adopted “nigger” and gays have adopted “queer.” I also don’t disagree that use of the term has become a weapon in some instances where it shouldn’t be. That having been said, “you people” refusing to apply that same term when it’s appropriate strips the term of any meaning whatsoever because nothing is ever racist. There’s always rationalizations to contend with and soul and heart gazing to engage in.

74. #74 by cav on April 18, 2011 - 10:13 am

‘you people’ is the new nigger – especially when refering to sensitive, left-leaning, union empathizing folk.

75. #75 by brewski on April 18, 2011 - 10:31 am

I think the opposite is true. The GOP got rid of Lott and will get rid of Davenport. But the Dems excuse and rationalize Byrd, Clinton, Ferraro, Reid, Biden since they are one of you.

76. #76 by James Farmer on April 18, 2011 - 10:43 am

brew:

Still shifting the conversation off your racist predilections to others? May as well go ahead and make your case that Bill Clinton is a racist. We all know how much you are just dying to get there.

77. #77 by brewski on April 18, 2011 - 11:12 am

78. #78 by James Farmer on April 18, 2011 - 11:47 am

Racist by implication? That’s a good one, brew. But I don’t see how such, even if true, changes the positions you have taken, particularly on this thread, that paint you as not much better than Ms. Davenport, a bona fide teabagging racist.

79. #79 by Richard Warnick on April 18, 2011 - 11:52 am

Marilyn Davenport has issued a non-apologetic “apology.” Or, as TPM put it, says she’s sorry “in a not really sorry kinda way.”

I’m sorry if my email offended anyone. I simply found it amusing regarding the character of Obama and all the questions surrounding his origin of birth…

80. #80 by brewski on April 18, 2011 - 12:11 pm

What did I say that was racist? And asking you why you thought the piece was racist doesn’t count.

81. #81 by james farmer on April 18, 2011 - 12:36 pm

brew:

See the above thread and, in particular, your commentary refusing to condemn Davenport or, at the least, refusing to acknowledge that her handiwork is racist.

82. #82 by brewski on April 18, 2011 - 12:42 pm

That’s chickenshit.

Under your theory I can name-call you anything I want and if you were to ask for my basis I could lazily tell you to “see the above thread”.

This is why you have the intellectual credibility of krill.

83. #83 by james farmer on April 18, 2011 - 12:46 pm

brew:

Rather than simply condemn the Ms. Davenport’s handiwork for what it is, you insist on ad hominem attack and obfuscation. You really are a remarkable piece of work.

84. #84 by Cowgirl on April 18, 2011 - 1:05 pm

Bush had everyone that made jokes like this about him while in office put out of commision, and /or seriously repermanded. I think Obama should start a group to handle racist like this. Stop taking this crap and show these racist we will not tolerate. Civil rights needs to be re-introduced.

85. #85 by brewski on April 18, 2011 - 1:44 pm

Ad hominem means “to the man” which is not what I have done. I have specficially addressed the absurdity of the content of your statements.

I mean, 45.5% white and you call it majority white. Too funny.

This is as ignorant as stating that a majority of Salt Lake City’s residents are are members of the LDS church, when the Census Bureau says otherwise.

But you don’t worry about things like facts and evidence when they get in the way of your feelings.

86. #86 by james farmer on April 18, 2011 - 2:46 pm

Still dodging, I see.

Regardless, I believe I said so previously, but will do so again here for you, in hopes you can move beyond personal attacks against me and address the issue. I misspoke re the OC demographics. I based my misstatement on the very article I referenced, by an OC reporter, which, I assumed was correct. You, on the other hand, besides pointing out the misstatement, have over and over resorted to names such as liar, stupid, plankton-like intellect, etc. in your effort to avoid addressing the real issue, which is Ms. Davenport’s artwork and your increasingly apparent racist support of her artwork. Not sure who, brew, you are trying to fool, but you aren’t having much success.

87. #87 by cav on April 18, 2011 - 3:08 pm

brewski, you debil you. You knew you’ld get me all ‘lol’ing about by calling James mindlesser ‘n krill.

Thank Dog yer at the top of the food chain. Why, monkeys must just be little dots from where you are. Eh?

88. #88 by brewski on April 18, 2011 - 3:33 pm

your increasingly apparent racist support of her artwork.

Oh really?

I guess you missed it when I said:

People like Davenport have no place in any party.

89. #89 by james farmer on April 18, 2011 - 3:41 pm

More obfuscation and shell games. So weak!!!

90. #90 by brewski on April 18, 2011 - 4:06 pm

Your defense that you were relying on the quote from the OC Weekly also does not do much to impress me with your intellect.

It said that OC is 2% african american. So you incorrectly deduce that OC is majority white. But of course you never even considered Latinos and Asians. Now, as a matter of fact, I wouldn’t expect you to know about the large Latino and Asian populations in OC. But as a matter of deductive reasoning (that they apparently don’t teach in law school anymore) just because OC only has 2% black, it does not follow at all that OC is majority white.

So not only was your statement false, but your defense using the OC Weekly statistic is not convincing for anything other than advertising your lack of deduction skills.

Having said that, if you volunteer for backcountry search and rescue, you can’t be all bad. In another context we’d probably get along pretty well.

91. #91 by Rick Montana on April 19, 2011 - 7:17 am

Marilyn Davenport should just simply resign. To attempt to cover her action by calling it unwise instead of reprehensible says it all for me. How does any party expect to get a hearing for their ideas if someone this off-base is representing them. Very sad state of affairs that we are in.

92. #92 by Michelle on April 19, 2011 - 10:19 am

So, by calling people “tea baggers” that’s ok, right? And every other slur you can think of. You liberals are just stupid! Have you not figured out that Obama’s mother is white?? Probably not, since you don’t do any research before you vote. But somehow you still get to pull the race card. So what about all the bush pictures that depicted him as a chimp?? Lmao! What the hell is wrong with you people? She should not be fired by any means! She needs to grow some balls and not apologize! Stop backing down to these liberals dumb Fu*ks!!!

93. #93 by cav on April 19, 2011 - 10:32 am

Michelle, campaigning for the Don. Right?

We discussed republican brains on another thread. It was a very short thread. Thanks for playing.

• #94 by Glenden Brown on April 19, 2011 - 10:38 am

cav – I think Michelle’s off her meds.

I’m sure we all remember the hysterical Rachel Maddow commentary on the tea baggers – how they wanted to be called tea baggers right up until the moment they realized teabagging is a term used to describe a sexual act then suddenly they insisted they’d never wanted that and they were really the “tea partiers”.

94. #95 by shane on April 19, 2011 - 10:35 am

Michelle,

First, you do know that the teabaggers claimed the name first, right? Blah blah research blah blah, before you bitch.

Second, you do know that the difference between Bush as a chimp and Obama as a chimp is that there is a history of racial insults around the image for African Americans? Blah blah research blah blah, before you bitch.

Thirdly, you did read the thread and see that the presidents parents were discussed? Blah blah research blah blah, before you bitch.

Lastly, no, lets not fire her for this. Lets be sure and keep her around as an example of exactly the personality and mindset that the GOP represents. And you as well. No reason to back down to what is right, just grow some balls and charge on with your ignorant hatred. A fine example of what the GOP spawns.

95. #96 by Paul Dude on April 19, 2011 - 10:44 am

I’m from KY, don’t know much about CA but your ranting is the same every where. We all get emails from people slamming the GOP or Dems, this politician or that, and yes even the Pres. We all chuckle at them and forward them along. I am not defending Davinport but we are all guilty. The whole reason this is Big Public News is because it is a Ploy by the slander media pushing Political Agendas. And like the idiots reading the crap, you all respond on Cue and worse, you Gobble it all up. Calling someone a teabagger itself is a disgusting term, yet you and the main media use it in the same thought that you are above racism, a high mental being.

You talk of how people hate Obama because he is black and how it is wrong to slam any pres yet you were the ones that carried the daily torch of ruthlessly slamming Bush W. just as the Political Media informed you to.
    A movie was even made titled How to Kill a President.

Obama’s record as pres is even worst than Carters but even more insidious is who he is working for… the select few powerful people who want to destroy America as we know it and bring on a One World Govt.

I want America, Free & Strong, I want to pay only the taxes I need to acomplish this and the rest of my money in my pocket to spend, save, and give to whom ever I want to.

I don’t belong to the Tea Party and don’t always condone the few idiots of the millions of members actions but they do stand for holding the Govt to be fiscally responsible. We are fast approching America the Bankrupt.

Everyone needs to wake up take real notice, get your heads out of the papers, blogs, TV, Internet, etc. and see how we are all being being Played and take a stand to save America as we know it before it is too late.

96. #97 by Paul Dude on April 19, 2011 - 11:09 am

By the way. All presidents of Amnerica should be paid at a minimum of $1,000,000 per year for the sacrifice of their privacy and their famiy’s privacy along. It is a thankless job because you rarely make either political party both happy at the same time. For someone to become president they deserve respect and honor for what little pay they get. Like all leaders such as managers or presidents they make mistakes along the way and we hope they learn and adjust as they go. I wish the media had this respect like they did in the past and reinstitue journalistic integrity and code of ethics.

97. #98 by Richard Warnick on April 19, 2011 - 11:13 am

Paul–

President Obama is secretly working for “the select few powerful people who want to destroy America as we know it and bring on a One World Govt.”?

You are accusing the President of the United States of treason. Can you back that up? Have you got a link to a source?

98. #99 by Paul Dude on April 19, 2011 - 11:50 am

Not saying he is commiting treason and I try to ignore all of the conspiracy theorists, the rethoric slamming GOPs and their agenda and the same for the Dems. But I do see the actions of the pres and the actions of his party as weakening America as we know it and bring our country quickly into bankrupcy, my question is is it out of ignorance of the people controling the Dem party or plannned?

99. #100 by Paul Dude on April 19, 2011 - 12:06 pm

I guess more than anything, I think Obama came in with a big wish list of what he would like to see and realized he didn’t have enough time to do it all so he is cramming it all in at once. The changes he wants to see are so drastic that they have to be institued over long periods of time, this smooths out the ripples. Yet he keeps going full steam ahead with all of his agendas and not looking at the severe ripple effects from each of his agendas by going too fast. Hence America is becoming weaker and bankrupt.

100. #101 by Richard Warnick on April 19, 2011 - 12:21 pm

Paul-

So your accusation was not intended as an indictment for treason or conspiracy, and it wasn’t just “rhetoric” either. What was it?

Did you study economics? The federal government has no choice but to engage in deficit spending to revive the economy after a recession (I won’t mentioned who caused it, but we both know).

What are the drastic changes the Obama administration is seeking? Really, what would have been different if McCain had won the 2008 election?

101. #102 by Paul Dude on April 19, 2011 - 12:54 pm

I am not into name calling and I respect the position of the pres and understand we all make mistakes.
    And you are typical with coming out with.. Where did you get your info or what is your link yet you freely pass on the other rethoric as though they were all fact. You may go one step further and check things out with your favorite fact checking web sites that are bias as the day is long, and serve to only reaffirm the rethoric. Check out a fact check web site to see if it is possibly bias, see how many times they dispell a GOP fact verses how many times they dispell a Dem fact.

deficit spend can be a must but you can’t tax and spend your self out of a recession. Think of your own finances, It does take money to make money but there is a limit to borrowing money to sustain you living. Bankruptsy happens all the time.

I was really disappointed with McCain being the only GOP canidate. He is way too liberal, except for his view on the Iraq war. I want someone who is strong and decisive with their own sense on convictions not cow toweling to opinion polls and yellow journalist agendas.

Wasn’t happy with Bush’s 2nd term.

We have suffered from the last for years of a Dem controled house & senate and along with 2 years of a Dem pres. The last 2 yeats of Bush was under a house & senate controlled by the policies pushed by the Dems 2008 & 2009. You are right, we know where the problems stemed from. The speaker of the house said she has to pass the healthcare bill in order to find out what is in it…
    Lost count of the number of big bills (such as tarp,etc) right away because it is an emergency , end result not giving the bills due process. And talking about snubbing the GOPs in the house & senate during this time period. And all of the closed door sessions!

102. #103 by Richard Warnick on April 19, 2011 - 1:24 pm

Paul–

I hate to be the one to break it to you, but I have blogged here for years and provided lots of facts and hundreds of links.

You are the one making an extraordinary claim, that the current President is hell-bent on the destruction of the USA. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. So, where’s your proof? Did you come up with this on your own, or are there sources you can cite?

Government finances do not work the same way as personal finances. Here’s the reason: the government controls the money supply. The Federal Reserve is able to do things like lend money to banks interest-free.

The private sector is in business to make a profit. If consumers are not buying, companies must lay off workers and/or ship jobs out of the country. Which drives down consumer demand even further.

Nearly all our state governments have no power to engage in deficit spending — without federal help they must lay off employees when tax receipts decline due to economic hard times.

So your plan for economic recovery is… wait, let me guess: more tax cuts for the rich, right? If that would work, then why did the Bush administration have the worst job creation performance since Herbert Hoover?

I’ll have to remember your phrase about politicians “cow toweling.” What an image that conjures up.

103. #104 by brewski on April 19, 2011 - 2:24 pm

I have blogged here for years and provided lots of facts and hundreds of links.

You’ve provided facts?

104. #105 by cav on April 19, 2011 - 3:15 pm

It’s an emergency because the GOP says it is – now.

It wasn’t an emergency back in 2001when there was brush needing clearing.

This much we know:

Republicans care only about tax cuts for rich people. They will not agree to anything which increases taxes on rich people.

Putting Social Security into some CBO or Trustee scored actuarial balance will not stop Republicans and the Washington Post from trying to gut it even more. They gave away the game when they asserted that the Trust Fund is a fantasy. In other words, prefunding future benefits is just a way to tax poor people instead of rich people, and they have no intention of honoring that deal if they can manage to not do it.

Thanks to Duncan Black.

105. #106 by Richard Warnick on April 19, 2011 - 4:16 pm

cav–

Did you know about the Grover Norquist pledge? GOP candidates running for federal or statewide offices must pledge to oppose any and all tax increases.

What’s weird is that the Ryan budget plan, that all but four Republican House members just voted for, would raise taxes on the middle class. It also doesn’t balance the budget.

So you must be right. In Republican-speak, “any and all tax increases” means “tax increases for rich people.”

106. #107 by brewski on April 19, 2011 - 4:34 pm

The pledge text:

I, _______________, pledge to the taxpayers of the _____ district
    of the state of__________, and to the American people that I will:
    ONE, oppose any and all efforts to increase the marginal income tax
    rates for individuals and/or businesses; and
    TWO, oppose any net reduction or elimination of deductions and
    credits, unless matched dollar for dollar by further reducing tax rates.

So this pledge would easily allow the elimination of all deductions used by the wealthy. This would allow the inclusion into taxable income those items which are now tax free to the wealthy. This would allow a carbon tax.

107. #108 by Richard Warnick on April 19, 2011 - 4:50 pm

brewski–

But that’s not what House Republicans voted for.

Ryan’s “reform” of the tax code is long on rhetoric and short on details. It would almost certainly mean a huge tax increase for the middle class in order to pay for a huge tax cut — another one — for the rich. But Ryan doesn’t come right out and say that. Instead he obfuscates, and leaves his plan deliberately vague.

One thing Ryan’s plan will do is set up two new ways to figure income tax liability, and force taxpayers to pick one. Making taxpayers feel that they need to calculate their taxes under two different systems would hardly make anyone feel that their taxes are simpler.

108. #109 by brewski on April 19, 2011 - 4:58 pm

First of all, that is speculative. As many, including Geithner have argued, reducing tax expenditures, and including more items in the definition of income, as well as closing many of the bizarre loopholes we have all discussed, one could lower the top marginal rate and be revenue neutral.

109. #110 by Richard Warnick on April 19, 2011 - 6:58 pm

brewski–

Grover Norquist is against closing any loopholes unless it can be done without raising revenue. Right now, he’s fighting to preserve the ethanol subsidy. And Republicans are “cow toweling,” to borrow Mr. Dude’s memorable phrase.

Oh, that’s right, you said you want “revenue neutral” solutions. So you must love deficits.

110. #111 by cav on April 19, 2011 - 8:39 pm

I too will use ‘cow toweling’. Thank you Mr. Dude.

111. #112 by Larry Bergan on April 20, 2011 - 12:24 am

Paul Dude ROCKS!

112. #113 by Paul Dude on April 20, 2011 - 2:01 am

Thanks Larry :)

It is not a secret that Obama latter in life admired radicals such as Bill Aires, Rev. Wright, etc. There teachings had an impact on him. He trys to transform America to their visions of what it should be, They were so radical that Obama, or his born name: Barry, felt like he had to lie about being associated with them. Speaking of lieing, he and the Dems in control pushed that his plan would have no increase taxes for people making less than $250, 000, yet if it wasn’t for the Bush tax cuts extension, the average American tax payer would have had to pay $3,000 for 2010 income tax.

Richard I don’t want to offend you or your knowledge but look around you and apply your common sense. Sometimes reading too much info can blind you and fill your head with sugar plums & candy.

We both agree that the feds have spend to help the econimy but there is a breaking point of borrowing. Alot of the programs we are rushing to enact are too costly at this time which means you & I will have to shoulder the crazy cost of just paying the interest of what we currently owe. We now have to bow down to our lenders so that they keep lending us more money.

Listen to what you said about the GOP only wanting to give the rich all the tax breaks. That is straight out of the talking points of the people controling the Dems party. You are smarter than that to swallow and actually believe that is all the GOP wants. I understand that if you were a person with no common sense. I agree that when the GOP was in charge they spent money wastefully as well.

I want leadership that understands that my money is hard to come by, spend my tax money wisely. And as you have seen over the last couple of years, when you scare the investors of America they stop investing in growth and in the future. Giving the rich some tax breaks, and not just clobbering them in the head, helps belay their fears and they start investing.

I just happened upon this blog and was shocked at alll of the cheap platiudes being used. Is was like hearing the ex majority leader Nancy or harry reed all over again with their mindless dribble, cheap talking points to help guide mindless people on how to think and what to say. This is great for politics but the elections are over and I want real thought, real input by people like you & I. We need to get more involved with telling our politicians what we want, not the Dem party or the GOP party telling us what to say & do. They work for us. The crazy waste of your & my tax dollars has got to stop and they have got to stop with gving into the special interest groups, etc. We currently are in Deep debt with no end in sight to spending.

113. #114 by Paul Dude on April 20, 2011 - 2:10 am

To all:

I am sorry for being to Heavy. This is my first time of really blogging and I guess I was venting. Blogging is meant to be fun and on a lighter note of things :).

114. #115 by james farmer on April 20, 2011 - 2:23 am

Welcome aboard, Paul. ;)

115. #116 by Larry Bergan on April 20, 2011 - 2:24 am

Paul Dude. I’m seriously sorry! I was being sarcastic.

I usually include the :) when I’m doing that.

I’m thinking Paul Dude isn’t your real name.

116. #117 by cav on April 20, 2011 - 8:27 am

Which is not to say you’re arguments are credible.

117. #118 by Richard Warnick on April 20, 2011 - 8:47 am

Paul Dude, you are very welcome here.

But as I said, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. Your comments read like you’re channeling Glenn Beck.

President Obama isn’t a radical by any stretch of the imagination. There is nothing his administration has done that is the slightest bit radical or left-wing. It even took them two years just to get rid of Bush’s idiotic color-coded terror alerts!

When did you become so concerned about federal deficits and the National Debt? Was it around noon on January 20, 2009? Let me explain something — the FY 2009 budget, with over $1 trillion in deficit spending, was President Bush’s budget. And the massive Wall Street bailouts, plus the inadequate ARRA, were necessitated by Bush’s Great Recession.

You are entitled to believe that Republicans are against tax cuts for the rich, and in favor of balanced budgets. But again, extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. I look forward to learning the source(s) of your information.

118. #119 by Paul Dude on April 20, 2011 - 11:12 am

Thanks Guys! I feel the love!!

Your term radical may be to radical for my use of the term Radical. And you are right that Beck says a lot of the sames things, but that doesn’t not make it false nescessarily. Thats where you have to listen to all of the media to find the whole pic of truth.

As a family man I have been disgusted with Govt wasting my tax dollars for years. I am guilty of being a fair weather fan in our various local sports teams. Federal waste is always on the front burner. Remember the $400 toilet seats used for the military spending. The recession has always been labeled Bush’s this and Bush’s that and he like a fool never defended himself nor did the minority party (GOP) defend themselves but I am reminding you that the house & senate was in total control from 2006 through 2010 by the Dems. All Bush could do was veto and his advisors were giving him bad advise. I can’t defend Bush’s actions. I’m reminded of a Saturday Nite Live skit where Bush was saying the colapse was his fault and the Dems standing behind him was saying no we caused it and a fellow Dem said be quite let him keep thinking that. This was in early 2009. The truth filters out slowly when the news media is heavily bias to the left and the idiots in charge of the GOP party don’t know when to defend themselves and shout it out on the tops of the monutain so all can hear the truth. The skit had Bush, Nancy, Reed and a few others on a media stage. The actual verbage is paraphased but that was the point of the skit, Bush taking the fall solely.

These are the little things I like you all to open your eyes to see. It is hard to catch thanks to our media and election/power grab agendas. Try not to gloss over the info I presented before, there is plenty for you to look into. Get off of the koolaide train.

We all agaree that we should have a balanced buget each year. We all and the GOP believe the rich should pay their fair share of taxes.

But hat is not enough. we have to severely cut the budget and extra spending. Stop growing the size of the govt. They get paid through our taxes we pay. Sorry I’m ranting again.

119. #120 by cav on April 20, 2011 - 11:23 am

There are a million things you can do, are doing, right now, to improve the world. The products you buy, the foods you eat, the stores you patronize, the news sources you value, the politicos you vote for, the love you make, the information you choose to share, the stories you believe in — every single choice, from coffee cup to charity donation, joke retold to tender human touch — these are what make all the difference.

The single finest way to make your mind, your body, your nation healthier and stronger across the board? Do not buy into the fear.

120. #121 by Richard Warnick on April 20, 2011 - 11:57 am

Paul–

The “$400 toilet seat” was a myth. It actually cost $10. OTOH military spending today is so out of control that the old toilet seat story seems quaint. Each soldier on the ground halfway around the world in Afghanistan costs $1 million a year to deploy. The Pentagon is spending $400 a gallon for fuel.

Contracting reached new levels of corruption during the Bush administration. Some of the stories are amazing.

Remember President Bush presided over two recessions. I call the second one Bush’s Great Recession, but the first one was pretty bad too. And the whole time he was promoting the so-called “Ownership Society” that later became known as the housing bubble. Inflated real estate, largely based on fraud by the mortgage industry and Wall Street investment firms, propped up the economy during years of negligible job growth and declining wages. Until the inevitable crash. It’s a sad story.

If the economy had been great, you would be saying Bush deserved all the credit. You would say that tax cuts for the rich boosted job creation. But you can’t say that, because Republicans brought about the worst economic collapse since the Great Depression.

You can’t base an economic recovery on budget cuts, while giving more tax cuts to the rich and corporations. The economy has lost all momentum, and we need government spending to re-start it. So now of course, Republicans who voted for all of Bush’s budgets have suddenly discovered fiscal responsibility. It’s almost as if they don’t want a recovery.

Please give a quote from a Republican politician who says the rich ought to pay their fair share of taxes.

121. #122 by Richard Warnick on April 20, 2011 - 12:31 pm

Actually, we’ve strayed pretty far off topic for this post. If you want, I can start a discussion on the Bush administration versus the Obama administration.

122. #123 by Richard Warnick on April 20, 2011 - 12:34 pm

Actually, we’ve strayed pretty far off topic for this post. If you want, I can start a new post and discussion about the Bush administration versus the Obama administration.

123. #124 by brewski on April 20, 2011 - 12:50 pm

Richard,
    As a matter of objective fact, and not my opinion, asset values were wildly inflated in the late 90’s and crashed well before Bush took office. So it is undeniable that Bush inherited the Clinton crash.
    See:

Growth was slowing dramatically. Q2 of 2000 saw GDP grow at 8.0% and Q3 was 0.3%

Stop claiming otherwise.

You can have your own opinions, but you can’t have your own facts.

124. #125 by Paul Dude on April 20, 2011 - 12:50 pm

Lets not even get into the contracting corruption. The Dems who reigned under during the formative years of the recession still allow Haliburton to get contracts, even today they are deeply involved in gogvt contracting. Look at Gore who is now filthy rich, manipulating legislature for personal gain. I love Carbon Credits. To me carbon credit means go ahead pump as much carbon into the environment as you like, just buy someone elses pollution alotment. Why not just say stop with excessive carbon pollution. Gore was very helpful and started up carbon credit exchange companies.
    Makes sense for Gore, $s & cents. Gore now states that corn ethanol is Now just not effective for the environment. It also drives up the cost of fuel, food containing corn, and corn fed meats. Got to hand it to Gore, most VPs fade away but Gore is a go getter.

As far as the economy goes, I think recovery from the recession all the way around would have been more quicker and far more rebust by now if we didn’t to the very selective bail outs, very selective various union organization bailouts, etc. The immense selectivity breeds potential for immence bribes, kick backs, I’ll scratch your back if you’ll scratch mine, and potential vote buying. Corruption at its finest. And the fear being shouted out by the Dems in control about going after the business man and especially the rich had caused them all to stop and pull back on spending and see where things are going.

All I ask is to just look around you with sincere honest eyes and see what you see.

125. #126 by Richard Warnick on April 20, 2011 - 1:31 pm

Paul–

I am sincere and honest, and I do look around. Read some of my posts here.

You are racing though a host of topics, repeating right-wing talking points you’ve heard somewhere without bothering to fact check.

Cap and trade is a Wall Street bonanza invented by Republicans, but you are blaming Al Gore?

I am not seeing “union bailouts” – where are they?

126. #127 by Paul Dude on April 20, 2011 - 4:03 pm

Richard-

I can tell you are sincere & probably are honest. I am not calling your intelligency in to questions. It is hard not to be accussed of using talking points or slogans as we all are guilty of from time to time. But at least I try to go into some common sense detail about what ever topic, true I don’t quote chapter & verse but try to use logic.

Cap & Trade was tried to be rammed down the American Publics throats by the Dems that were in control. They finally gave up but decided to use a different tactic by using EPA to do the dirty work. I see cap & trade as another act that will significantly impact my finances because of higher utility costs and higher prices of goods due to eventually the businesses start to pass the higher energy costs that they have to pay to the utility companys onto the consumer.

I do have my personal theory I like to discuss which is about people being liberal or conservative minded. As you can tell I lean to the conservative side although I am a registered Dem (was a generational thing) I even voted for Barack during the primaries in hopes to defeating Hilary, I could not bare hearing her schrill voice for 4 years although she was more qualified.

Basically, people who are conservative minded can’t for the life of them understand any thing about people who are liberal minded. And the opposite is true with the liberal minded people. Assuming that both sides are relatively intelligent, how can both sides be so far apart in thinking and understanding. My theory is that we are genetically wired in the brain to be liberal or conservative minded. Plain & simple. The purpose is to help ensure the survival of the human race. In the primative times & even now there is a time when a given community or family needs to be conservative in our actions and there are times we need to be liberal in our actions.

If I was going back to college for my masters degree I think this would be my thesis. It helps to explain the polarization, why opposite sides of the camps will spend countless hours trying to help the other side see their point and try to convert the other side’s thinking and yet with no accomplishment.

What do you all think about this theory?

127. #128 by Richard Warnick on April 20, 2011 - 4:26 pm

Paul–

EPA still has the power to regulate greenhouse gases, no thanks to the Tea-GOP. This has been upheld by the courts. No actual regulations have been put in place yet. You seem to agree that we need to do something about this problem, because you wrote:

Why not just say stop with excessive carbon pollution.

Cap and trade (aka the ACES bill) passed the House but died in the Senate. Yet you seem to think it’s the law. You are incorrect. Gasoline prices are going up due to market speculation, which the government has done nothing to curb.

There is an interesting theory that people have brains predisposed toward conservatism or liberalism. Nothing has been proven, but there are some interesting hints. I don’t take issue with that.

What bothers me is the many, many things that Republicans and Tea Partyers claim to believe that are factually false. Not just me, but the whole reality-based community is bothered by the constant lying, and creation of a complete alternate frame of reference.

For example, only 28 percent of Republicans think President Obama was born in the United States. What does it do to our political discourse if we can’t all agree on a simple, verifiable fact like that?

128. #129 by cav on April 20, 2011 - 4:26 pm

I think you’d want to apply a little mind over the matter of liberal / conservative brain-wiring. It does seem true that there are differences, but why stop at recognizing the lizard in us and not reach for the saint?

129. #130 by cav on April 20, 2011 - 4:58 pm

Jimmy Carter put solar panels on the White House – Ronald Reagan promptly dismantled them. Carter could also pronounce, and correctly spell ‘nuclear’

Should tell anyone all they need to know.

130. #131 by Richard Warnick on April 20, 2011 - 5:02 pm

In the Navy, Jimmy Carter was an officer on a nuclear-powered submarine.

131. #132 by Paul on April 20, 2011 - 5:22 pm

Yes, in the lib and in the conserv partys and groups there is a lot of mis guided factiods being pushed around. We can always point out wrong facts being used whether intentional or unintentional. Richard has been corrected several times in his use of facts by other members. I have been corrected as well. And to party lies that are out there to push election or power grabs is very disturbing for thoses of us that see through the lies and sad for thoses that believe everything they hear hook line & sinker.

Cav it is hard to being a saint when you can’t talk logic, see eye to eye. I imagine the solar panels way back then were no where near the efficiencies of today. Can’t tell you why Reagan pulled it out but he had some kind of reason. He was an intelligent man by the way. He impressed me with is actions & strong resolve, snubbing his nose to his advisors from time to time. I was leary at first since he was an actor at one time.

132. #133 by cav on April 20, 2011 - 6:24 pm

Reagan adulation is down the hall, on the right.

Not to be short, and hopefully not too arrogant but you’ve earned your cookie.

…down the hall, and to the right.

133. #134 by Larry Bergan on April 20, 2011 - 6:58 pm

Paul Dude said:

Where do you get your information from? You may not know this, but the media has been slowly slanted towards the right for the last couple or three decades. This gives the impression that liberal ideas are crazy and conservative wingnut ideas are main stream and sensible. You seem to believe the two sides are somewhat balanced, but you definitely lean to the right in YOUR opinions.

Again, where do you suggest we get our “facts”?

134. #135 by brewski on April 20, 2011 - 7:46 pm

Carter could also pronounce, and correctly spell ‘nuclear’

Not true:

U.S. presidents that have used this pronunciation include Jimmy Carter, Bill Clinton,[5] Dwight D. Eisenhower, and George W. Bush. Others who have used this pronunciation include Vice Presidents Walter Mondale and Dick Cheney, former Alaska Governor Sarah Palin,[5][6][7] and Star Trek actor DeForest Kelley.[8]

135. #136 by Richard Warnick on April 20, 2011 - 7:54 pm

I thought “cow toweling” conjured up a strange mental image. But think of President Reagan “snubbing his nose to his advisors from time to time.” Did he do that in the Oval Office?

136. #137 by cav on April 20, 2011 - 8:26 pm

I also like ‘pushing around misguided factoids’.

Perhaps it’s the pushees that are causing the misguiding? You’ve got to wonder.

Sir ‘dude’ paul, is rich and I hesitate to suggest he find a proof-reader or editor – ’cause then his entire deal would go poof, but, well, he is entertaining.

137. #138 by cav on April 20, 2011 - 8:58 pm

O.T. but hell, we’re all mutants now anyway:

Fuel of the Fukushima nuke plant plant’s No. 1 reactor could be melting, an official said on Wednesday at Tokyo Electric Power Co. (TEPCO), the operator of the crippled plant.

TEPCO is striving to stop radiation leaking from the crippled Fukushima Daiichi plant and to remain solvent in the face of mounting compensation and decommissioning costs.

Obama needs to reach out to TEPCO. Perhaps G. E. can shunt them a little bail-out money.

138. #139 by Jim Masters on April 21, 2011 - 6:34 am

You Californians are sooooo out of touch with the rest of the country. Focus on the issues like job creation! Now CBS and NBC will again paint Obama to be a victim of society, oh poor victim Obama is being injured by this old lady in California.

139. #140 by Paul Dude on April 23, 2011 - 10:36 am

Had to go back to work, missed you dudes!

I like how Bush Senior refused to say Insane Hussains’s first name correctly. The way Bush said it mean’t something like Shoeshine Boy. Drove Hussian crazy.

Media only in the last 2 years is very slightly glimpsing to the right from time to time. This makes it very hard to find out the whole truth about anything. So you have to watch media from both sides and try to pull out the truth. It shouldn’t be so hard but the integrity of the media is gone.

Jim, what is the story of the Old CA Lady?

140. #141 by Larry Bergan on April 23, 2011 - 12:58 pm

Paul Dude said:

You don’t have to give birth to the truth; it just IS.

I hate being mean, but I hope you fall off your skate board.

141. #142 by Richard Warnick on April 24, 2011 - 4:20 pm

Q: Paul, what media do you get your “truth” from?

A: “All of them, any of them that have been in front of me over all these years. I have a vast variety of sources…”

142. #143 by packeryman on May 11, 2011 - 9:46 am

The gal is a Republican racist tea bagger. The party has been hijacked by religious freaks and bagger mentality. Independents, Dem’s and moderate Republicans must go to the polls an throw out this insanity out the party and our representative offices. The last time something similar happened was in 1964. Lets make the next Republican candidate for president another 1964 Goldwater. Then it was the John Birch Society instead of the Tea Baggers. Vote in 2012

143. #144 by Larry Bergan on May 11, 2011 - 4:26 pm

packeryman:

Actually, the John Birch society and the tea baggers are the same thing. Take a look.

Fake grass roots movements-are-us.

144. #145 by Marilyn Davenport LaBorde on July 27, 2011 - 9:00 am

S-T-O-P!!!!!!

Hey YOU, And all the Marilyn Davenport Bashers out there, Please remember there is more than one Marilyn Davenport on the Planet. I wish everyone would please REFERENCE which Marilyn Davenport they are talking about. Including the Huffington Post which was showing my commercial photography as some how connected with the GOP woman in ORANGE COUNTY. Details do matter. I am a registered Independent in another part of the country and the verbal abuse (direct and indirect) I’ve incorrectly received, may sway my vote! LOL! Perhaps I should start up some lawsuits for defamation of character, liable, slander, personal injury, damage to my business??? Just put yourself in my shoes (and all the other Marilyn Davenports out there) add GOP, ORANGE COUNTY PLEASE – Thank you.

145. #146 by Martel on July 30, 2011 - 7:42 am

Good luck with that OC Davenport. It’s a brave new world.

146. #147 by Karen on August 29, 2011 - 12:30 pm

Thanks, James, for this post. The racist comparison between blacks and primates is historically-charged. Had she chosen to put Pres. Obama’s face into a family of cats, it wouldn’t have seemed racist, but the allusion to apes makes this clearly a statement about race. It dates back to an old justification for slavery. The belief that blacks were more closely related to apes than whites were, as if they hadn’t finished evolving yet.

Davenport’s logic, “I have friends who are black,” and therefore, I could not possibly be racist, is very ignorant. Racism is not defined as a lack of black friends. Racism means a sense of superiority based on race and privilege. Her inability to acknowledge the offensive nature of her photo shop job seems to be a clear indication of Davenport’s sense of self-importance.

I wrote an article recently on Utah and racism that goes into the importance of recognizing race-based judgment in oneself, Do you judge people by their race?

147. #148 by Karen on August 29, 2011 - 12:34 pm

Here’s a link to Wikipedia’s explanation of that related-to-apes justification for slavery.

148. #149 by james farmer on August 30, 2011 - 3:44 pm

Thanks for the link, Karen.

149. #150 by brewski on August 30, 2011 - 4:00 pm

Karen, can you provide a link to James for the explanation of limiting the number of Jews and Asians at Princeton?

150. #151 by james farmer on August 30, 2011 - 6:39 pm

brew:

Get over it and move on with your life.