Matt Dances In Salt Lake: Literally

Matt and I

I don’t know Matt. He allowed anybody to have their picture taken with him AFTER the event. That’s why my hair is “Matted” down. Sorry. :)

I estimate there were about 70 of us who showed up to participate in the latest “Where The Hell Is Matt” dancing video by wading into the water at the Salt Lake Marina and giving it our all, while sinking into the sand during our efforts. I would put the age range around 5 to 80 years old.

There are many people who have never heard of Matt’s 2008 video, but I would have liked it if the media had shown up to give it a boost. They are always looking for positive stories to tell and this had to be the best show in town. I don’t know what constitutes a “viral” video, but 37 million views of an utterly un-promoted video ain’t bad.

I think the people there felt the same as I did after seeing Matt’s efforts. I am proud that at least one American is portraying us in a positive light by bringing some much needed and harmless fun to the world. He gave some basic instructions, but let people be themselves. He asked for ideas, and then asked for a consensus. Very democratic.

Sure hope we make it into the new video!

Updates:

He he he!

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on June 24, 2011 - 10:14 pm

By the way, Matt does not work for Stride gum corporation.

2. #2 by Richard Warnick on June 25, 2011 - 3:47 pm

I got there just in time for the dancing, but I had to leave right after shooting the video. It was a fun event– more people than I would have guessed ahead of time. That’s the power of the Internet at work. We all had a good laugh after the mud was stirred up a little and Matt asked, what’s that smell?

3. #3 by Richard Warnick on June 25, 2011 - 4:46 pm

Larry and I were in the back row. Matt was in the middle, in front of Larry in the picture.

4. #4 by Larry Bergan on June 25, 2011 - 5:30 pm

Richard:

Mob rule, for sure! :)

5. #5 by Larry Bergan on June 25, 2011 - 5:47 pm

That probably should should have read, (mob rule for shore).

Darnnit!

I think most of the kids sat it out, thinking they would drown or thought their parents were bonkers.

Kids these days! :)

6. #6 by Richard Warnick on June 27, 2011 - 11:21 am

Yesterday, I was browsing the book shelf at REI and according to Utah’s Low Points by Fred J. Nash we were very close to the lowest-elevation spot in Salt Lake County.

7. #7 by brewski on June 27, 2011 - 11:25 am

According to the new bilungual policy at REI, the sign must have read “estante para libros”.

8. #8 by Richard Warnick on June 27, 2011 - 12:38 pm

Didn’t see any bilingual anything at REI. But if they have such a policy, so what?

9. #9 by brewski on June 27, 2011 - 12:58 pm

So what?

How is that two language thing working out in Belgium?

How is that two language thing working out in Canada?

How is that two language thing working out in Spain?

How is that two language thing working out in Sudan, Timor, or pretty much any other country where the people are divided by language?

10. #10 by Richard Warnick on June 27, 2011 - 2:32 pm

Belgium has three official languages: Flemish, French, and German. But they use English when a common language is needed, such as in a lot of advertising.

Look, brewski, it would still be over-the-top to compare the USA to Belgium if REI actually had bilingual signs. But I didn’t see any!

You go off topic like Oceanic Airlines Flight 815 went off course.

11. #11 by Larry Bergan on June 27, 2011 - 3:08 pm

Richard:

Well, it certainly wasn’t a low point for me, because I had a wonderful time except for having torn up my knee a little. It wasn’t real easy dancing with all that suction from the wet sand.

I zoomed into the picture you uploaded, and I can see I was wrong about the kids sitting it out. I wonder if that picture was taken while we tried to do “the wave”. :)

12. #12 by Larry Bergan on June 27, 2011 - 3:37 pm

I added a couple more photos to the post above. Check them out.

13. #13 by Richard Warnick on June 27, 2011 - 5:15 pm

I didn’t dance very much or very energetically, but I could feel it in my muscles the next day. The sand and mud added a degree of difficulty.

14. #14 by Larry Bergan on June 27, 2011 - 6:56 pm

Maybe you can help me Richard.

You are interested in science and geography.

When I got home, I had to wash my shoes out and the sand was all black. I noticed that there were little black rocks on the shore which looked to be volcanic.

I didn’t know Utah had any volcanoes. Is it possible those rocks were deposited here from Idaho?

15. #15 by Rico on June 27, 2011 - 7:14 pm

Really brew? That’s was your contribution to Richard’s point about the location where dancing with Matt took place? Don’t be such a grumpy fucker.

16. #16 by brewski on June 27, 2011 - 7:23 pm

You are implying that dancing with Matt is some matter of great import.

17. #17 by cav on June 27, 2011 - 7:44 pm

Dancing is liberating…try it some time.

18. #18 by Larry Bergan on June 27, 2011 - 7:56 pm

brewski said:

You are implying that dancing with Matt is some matter of great import.

Thanks for staying on topic instead of trying to bring racism into my post!

Of course Matt is of great import! He’s an American who is bringing joy to the world instead of fear and hatred of the US!

He’s bucking the system in a way I wish I had done!

19. #19 by Larry Bergan on June 27, 2011 - 8:02 pm

Let me try and distill this argument into simple terms that a simplistic right winger will understand after their world comes crashing down:

Matt is making us safer then ANY amount of money or weaponry ever could.

20. #20 by Larry Bergan on June 27, 2011 - 8:32 pm

cav said:

Dancing is liberating…try it some time.

I’m positive Matt didn’t know we were going to be dancing in muck, but I’d love to see how he handled it!

21. #21 by Richard Warnick on June 28, 2011 - 8:56 am

Larry Bergan :

…Matt is making us safer than ANY amount of money or weaponry ever could.

That’s a profound statement that probably none of our elected officials could understand.

Geologic fact: the Black Rock on the south shore of the Great Salt Lake is a volcanic “plug,” a remnant of an active volcano. I think it’s about a million years old.

22. #22 by cav on June 28, 2011 - 9:00 am

like!

23. #23 by Larry Bergan on June 28, 2011 - 1:57 pm

Thanks for the information Richard. I had no idea there were ancient volcanoes anywhere around here.