Rick Santorum Calls For Regulating the Internet and Believes Freedom Should be Limited

GOP Presidential candidate Rick Santorum has a freedom problem. He says there is too much freedom on the Internet and it should be regulated. He was the only candidate that did not take a strong stand against SOPA and PIPA and called for regulating the Internet and said freedom should be limited. He called those that want limited government “radical individualism”. Rick Santorum is no conservative. Don’t be fooled by this authoritarian masquerading as a conservative.

“They have this idea that people should be left alone, be able to do whatever they want to do, government should keep our taxes down and keep our regulations low, that we shouldn’t get involved in the bedroom, we shouldn’t get involved in cultural issues.

That is not how traditional conservatives view the world. There is no such society that I’m aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture.”

- Rick Santorum

See also Rick Santorum is tired of you people wanting the government to leave you alone on Hot Air.

Freedom is limited and Internet should be regulated

Santorum defends SOPA

, , , , , , ,

1. #1 by Richard Warnick on February 11, 2012 - 11:27 am

One person’s liberty is “radical individualism” to someone else. I think the split on the right is coming. Some of the cable talking heads believe that Ron Paul will take his libertarians to a third party once they get strong enough.

2. #2 by Ken on February 11, 2012 - 12:46 pm

If Santorum was to win the nomination we would have the choice between an authoritarian on the right or an authoritarian on the left.

3. #3 by Ken on February 11, 2012 - 2:17 pm

Those of us who do not believe in big government should be wary of social engineers like Rick Santorum. We already have a social engineer as president. We don’t need another one.

4. #4 by cav on February 11, 2012 - 2:31 pm

5. #5 by Ken on February 11, 2012 - 3:13 pm

You cannot have a small government and demand authoritarian or protectionist policies. The two are mutually exclusive.

6. #6 by Larry Bergan on February 11, 2012 - 8:44 pm

There are some freedoms the patriarchs and certain TV stations will make you pry out of their cold-dead-hands.

I’m thinking Santorum and Romney are A-OK with gun freedom because they know it’s not as important to liberals as it is to some. Liberals tend to side with peaceful solutions.

I’m betting Romney’s stance on internet freedom of speech is right in line with Santorum’s.

“Strange days indeed”.
    `John Lennon

7. #7 by Ken on February 11, 2012 - 9:17 pm

Romney came out strongly against SOPA. Santorum on the other hand defended it.

8. #8 by cav on February 11, 2012 - 9:30 pm

That anyone believes even an iota of a smidgen of their most heart-felt and ‘intelligent’ utterances only points, once again to the further ascendance of ‘the Stoopid’.

9. #9 by Ken on February 11, 2012 - 9:39 pm

Rick “Regulate the Internet” Santorum singles out “black people” as welfare recipients.

10. #10 by Larry Bergan on February 11, 2012 - 11:02 pm

Ken says:

I hope you saw Santurum’s back-peddling on Bill O’Reilly, because it was truly funny. (paraphrasing Santorum): ‘I started to say something and it just kind of came out as blau’.

O’Reilly said he had looked into it and agreed that Santorum didn’t really say black. Are you going to defend O’Reilly, Ken?

11. #11 by Jason on February 12, 2012 - 2:54 am

“Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” -1st Amendment, United States Constitution.

What part of that does this joker not understand? I don’t even know where to start…Maybe the fact that he says “There is no such society that I’m aware of, where we’ve had radical individualism and that it succeeds as a culture.” I might be missing something but what exactly is the culture of America? We are a melting pot of different histories, cultures, religions, and political views. To prove my point, what is the food/drink of America? Tea? Nope dumped that in the Boston harbor. Pizza? Negative, Italian’s got a hold on that. How about hamburgers, they seem pretty American. Na, that started in Hamburg, Germany. Wait! Bourbon! Exactamundo! Be proud fellow citizens, our “culture” is based on Kentucky bourbon (which a lot of people don’t even drink in the US, let alone the world)! Go USA! Rick, suck a fatty!

12. #12 by Terry on February 12, 2012 - 9:32 am

This man should be jailed.

13. #13 by anon on February 12, 2012 - 12:25 pm

Insanitorum might as well just shoot his career in the head.

14. #14 by anon on February 12, 2012 - 12:26 pm

Insanitorum might as well just shoot his career in the head. Do people really vote for mad hatters like him or is it another Diebold conspiracy?

15. #15 by Robert on February 12, 2012 - 2:29 pm

@ Larry Bergan The time may come when even liberals may not be left with much choice but to pick up a weapon.

16. #16 by Monte Thrash on February 12, 2012 - 2:49 pm

That’s a HUGE stretch to say Santorum is authoritarian. Sure, he has a different view of government’s role in protecting liberty and the pursuit of happiness than I do, but to say he’s authoritarian is a lie, or the author is completely ignorant. I even question if this is a DNC plant, it is so dishonest.

17. #17 by Richard Warnick on February 12, 2012 - 2:59 pm

I don’t have the inclination to look it up, but I wonder what Senator Santorum has had to say on the subject of bringing back the Fairness Doctrine for talk radio? Or better yet, apply it to cable TV news channels.

18. #18 by Ken on February 12, 2012 - 3:01 pm

Monte. Everyone is laughing on OU if you think I am a DNC plant. Watch the videos and tell me how you can say his views of regulating the Internet and limiting freedom are not by definition authoritarian?

19. #19 by Angry Voter on February 12, 2012 - 3:06 pm

Then Santorum should run for office in Iran or India.

Does he realize that if he took office, he would have to take an oath to uphold the US Constitution?

Or has Santorum admitted that he’s a liar like Obama and Bush with no intention of obeying the US Constitution?

20. #20 by Cliff Lyon on February 12, 2012 - 3:38 pm

“Ken is a DNC plant” I know I’m laughing. Here’s your reality check: http://www.facebook.com/groups/274879839015/

In my entire adult life, I’ve never known anyone so far up the ass of the stinking right, you can smell him in Boise.

Ken is so freaking conservative, he would faint if he saw the comments on Reddit about this post

e.g. “America, please don’t elect this cunt of a man.”

“Fuck this shitsack of a country. Whoever is pulling the strings… I hope they get ass-raped in a box full of snakes and worms by the biggest, sweatiest black dude around.”

“As a large sweaty black man, I would be proud to do commit such an ass raping”.

21. #21 by Mark on February 12, 2012 - 3:42 pm

Do you guys research what you post or are you all sheep too? Taken out of context, Santorum’s content is pretty bad. The original comment (from 2006) with all the content intact was about sovereign citizens who declare self-governance who feel there should be no social rules.

22. #22 by cav on February 12, 2012 - 3:52 pm

The Constitution…a quaint trifle. These Global times are requiring something more, what (?) Authoritative?

IOW: they’d have us all forget how we’re all created equal…yadda, yadda.

23. #23 by Larry Bergan on February 12, 2012 - 4:55 pm

“Ken is a DNC plant”

What Cliff said.

Hilarious!

24. #24 by Ken Bingham on February 12, 2012 - 5:10 pm

This story is now number 6 on Reddit. 1096 comments, 8,282 up votes 6,003 down votes OMG!

25. #25 by Larry Bergan on February 12, 2012 - 5:15 pm

Robert/somebody said:

I don’t have a gun because I’m afraid if I pulled a gun on somebody, they would shoot me. Since I don’t presently own a gun and don’t know how to shoot from the hip with my hands, I would probably lose.

In the larger scheme of things, I would probably win.

You decide.

26. #26 by Monte on February 12, 2012 - 5:50 pm

Ken, you must be quite dishonest,or ignorant, then. Like I said, I’m not a Santorum supporter, but to skew this as him being an authoritarian is so stupid, I would have thought it was from a DNC plant, and not a real, sincere, honest conservative. It’s funny you chose to focus on the DNC plant comment, rather than your lack of honesty or intelligence. It appears you couldn’t defend yourself from those charges.

27. #27 by Ken Bingham on February 12, 2012 - 5:59 pm

Because I don’t have to defend my honesty or intelligence. Watch the videos. His call for Internet regulations and limits on freedom come straight out of the horse’s mouth.

Also whenever someone starts out my saying they are not something then follows it with a ‘but’ it usually means the person is exactly what they say they are not.

28. #28 by cav on February 12, 2012 - 6:29 pm

Maybe it’s not authoritarianism, maybe it’s just a plain old lust for power.

I’m not buying the smallest shred of ‘I’m runing for the good of the country, defending our sacred way of life nonsense. That’s not what they’re about at all.

29. #29 by jjohnsen on February 12, 2012 - 7:02 pm

Of course he believes freedom should be limited. See also two consenting adults using contraception to have sex without the fear of procreating.

30. #30 by Ken Bingham on February 12, 2012 - 7:24 pm

There are comments in Redded that say people were having trouble accessing Oneutah. It looks like there may have been so many it crashed the server.

31. #31 by cav on February 12, 2012 - 7:42 pm

Jeez, I wish those server crashing throngs would just pipe up, quit being so ghostly, and let everyone know how they really feel. Come on, shake that cat from yer tongue!

32. #32 by Ken Bingham on February 12, 2012 - 7:52 pm

They are mainly commenting on Reddit. 1114 comments so far.

33. #33 by Larry Bergan on February 12, 2012 - 7:56 pm

Due to Ken – sometimes Ken Bingham – , of course. :)

34. #34 by Arminius on February 12, 2012 - 7:57 pm

Rick Santorum’s freedom should be limited to a padded cell in the loonie bin!

35. #35 by Larry Bergan on February 12, 2012 - 8:24 pm

Rick Santorum’s freedom should be limited to a padded cell in the loonie bin!

According to Arminius/problem-loading-page. :(

36. #36 by cav on February 12, 2012 - 8:26 pm

Krash the site Ken, ya frickin’ fleck!

37. #37 by Larry Bergan on February 12, 2012 - 8:29 pm

[Admin]

I must apologize that this site is littered with cowards with no names,

38. #38 by cav on February 12, 2012 - 8:38 pm

Larry, you need a nickname. You can keep the same telephone number. ‘Sokay.

39. #39 by Larry Bergan on February 12, 2012 - 9:36 pm

Nicknames are used by by bullies. I have no need.

Phone number at my residence is 801-265-9221.

No takers so far.

Goddamned cowards.

40. #40 by KingofthePaupers on February 13, 2012 - 3:06 am

Jct: Sandorum is such a lunatic, it’s a wonder they let him out to run for yankee leadership. Har har har har. What donkeys for their leaders.

41. #41 by Monte on February 13, 2012 - 6:02 am

Your psychic powers seem to be failing you, or do you just pretend you can read other people’s minds to push your agenda. I say I don’t support Santorum, but since I call you on your deception, you just don’t want to believe it. The fact is, I don’t like any of the Republican candidates. What do your psychic powers tell you about that? Go ahead, just attack anyone that doesn’t agree with you, just like the liberals and democrats. They worship at the political altar, too.

42. #42 by Ken on February 13, 2012 - 8:15 am

Monte say hi to Rick Santorum for me while you meet with him this afternoon to discuss the daily talking points.

43. #43 by Shane Smith on February 13, 2012 - 11:31 am

Comedy gold…

44. #44 by cav on February 13, 2012 - 12:25 pm

Conservatives, by their very nature. are the most democratically sympathetic of any that ever were. Merely suggesting there could even be the slightest substantive linkage of them and authoritarianism provokes righteous disbelief among their ranks.

This, even as we drift ever further right(wrong)ward – providing for hyper-authoritarianism.

Comedy gold, yes…and the joke’s on us.

45. #45 by Mr. Mojo on February 13, 2012 - 1:02 pm

There was one, the US before the fascist, authoritarian scumbags like Santorum took over our government.

46. #46 by Shane on February 14, 2012 - 7:58 am

I guess Mittens is the true conservative then…

Romney’s support for blindly drug-testing welfare recipients dates back at least two decades, to his failed 1994 campaign for the US Senate. Civil rights advocates, meanwhile, have been quick to challenge the constitutionality of drug testing bills that were passed last year, and courts blocked similar bills from being implemented in Florida and Michigan.

Rather than saving states money or ensuring taxpayer dollars aren’t used to purchase drugs, mandatory testing laws have succeeded only in proving that welfare recipients are actually less likely to use drugs than the public at large, and implementing laws requiring drug testing is costing states like Florida money they don’t have.

The ACLU of Florida has estimated that the state saved just over $40,000 between July and October by denying residents welfare support based on their failure to pass a drug test, while it spent more than $245,000 in reimbursements for the cost of the exam in the same time period.

Freedom, now defined as the right to have your bodily fluids checked because you need food stamps because a multimillionaire who would latter run for president sold the company you used to work for for scrap. But he feels your pain, he too is unemployed. And making only $500,000 a year in speaking fees plus the several million in pretty much untaxed investments.

47. #47 by cav on February 14, 2012 - 8:13 am

Not to mention his holdings in the firm that manufactures / markets the drug tests themselves.

48. #48 by cav on February 14, 2012 - 9:09 am

Hmmm, this sounds interesting….

WHEREAS THE FIRST AMENDMENT TO THE UNITED STATES CONSTITUTION PROVIDES THAT:

BE IT RESOLVED THAT WE, THE NINETY-NINE PERCENT OF THE PEOPLE of the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, in order to form a more perfect Union, by, for and of the People, shall elect and convene a NATIONAL GENERAL ASSEMBLY the week of July 4, 2012 in the City Of Philadelphia to prepare and ratify a PETITION FOR A REDRESS OF GRIEVANCES on behalf of the Ninety-Nine Percent of the People of the United States to be served upon the United States Congress, United States Supreme Court and President of the United States prior to November 6, 2012.

49. #49 by Ken on February 19, 2012 - 8:54 am

If you Google the name ‘Santorum’ you will see why Rick Santorum wants to regulate the Internet.

50. #50 by Larry Bergan on February 19, 2012 - 9:36 am

Ken:

So Mitt – money bagger/dog on car – doesn’t want to regulate the internet.

Give me some proof.

51. #51 by Ken on February 19, 2012 - 10:31 am

Mitt came out very strongly against SOPA in the same debate that Santorum said that there are limits to free speech and the Internet should be regulated.

52. #52 by Larry Bergan on February 19, 2012 - 10:47 am

Ken:

And you believe him. :(

Sorry, but you refuse to answer any of my good and recent questions.

This site is called OneUtah. I came here late, but I guess the purpose was to spark an honest debate between “liberals” and “conservatives” with results that could help our country.

We’ve both failed; miserably!

53. #53 by cav on February 19, 2012 - 11:42 am

It took Bush to get me to say Nixon wasn’t that bad.

If we’re ever going to rehab Reagun and the Bushes, it’s going to take Ayatola Santorum minimun

54. #54 by Larry Bergan on February 19, 2012 - 12:42 pm

minimun being the key word.

What have we become?

55. #55 by cav on February 19, 2012 - 1:07 pm

Larry, I for one have lost my ability to spell correctly.

That should be minimum

56. #56 by cav on February 19, 2012 - 2:06 pm

And it’s not just the internet…he’s got it out for the entire planet!

“I wasn’t suggesting that the president’s not a Christian,” he said with a laugh on CBS’s “Face the Nation.”

But he suggested that anyone who believes that the protection of natural resources is more important than satisfying man’s needs – and man, he said, could be a “good steward” of the Earth — was pursuing “a phony ideal.”

“The Earth is not the objective, man is the objective, and I think that a lot of radical environmentalists have it upside down,” Mr. Santorum said.

57. #57 by Larry Bergan on February 19, 2012 - 4:41 pm

Upside down, rightsde up.

Who cares as long as we believe in a Jesus who wants us to be wealthy as all hell.

58. #58 by aaron crouse on February 23, 2012 - 10:54 pm

um what he wants is progay/transsexual and those who mock fundies off and no atehistic and or pagans stuff. he also wants critics off. a clear violation of rights. i am pagan and proud. i do not follow christian law because that violates my rights which means me as a transsexual woamn can and will get their hormones and or surgeries paid by state or it violates my freedoms and get my gay straight marrige because it violates my religion. lets see you tell a kid to go to fixing a their sexuality thats a crime since its considered um english common law church law ie, its a crime and you cant hide behind religion because its not discriminatory if you say do a crime, but really sopa and etc should be implented why then using the bible to qoute to me would violate said rights good by conservatives ha ha thats why it didnt pass.