COKE Bolts From ALEC!

This is a BIG news story, but don’t expect to see any coverage on the alphabet channels you can receive on “the public airwaves” :) or the cable “news” networks. It won’t be on the front page of “The New York Times” or “The Wall Street Journal”. I’d be ecstatic to be proved wrong on that, but I’m not holding my breath. Instead, this story will probably remain an opinion piece from the left which can be read here.

Since I don’t want to spend time here telling people who ALEC is, I’ll refer you to an earlier post I did on it, here, which includes a list of the usual suspects, an important video involving voter suppression by one of their leaders and a link to a humorous interview with the national chairman of ALEC; which I’m sure he didn’t find humorous.

Voting suppression via ALEC seems to be a driving force here, but doesn’t come up in the official statement from Coke:

The Coca-Cola Company has elected to discontinue its membership with the American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC). Our involvement with ALEC was focused on efforts to oppose discriminatory food and beverage taxes, not on issues that have no direct bearing on our business. We have a long-standing policy of only taking positions on issues that impact our Company and industry.

Interestingly, although it has not pledged to withdraw support of ALEC, voting suppression does come up in a Walmart statement:

Our membership in any organization does not affirm our agreement with each policy created by the broader group. Wal-Mart has a long history of supporting voter rights, and we continue to be a strong proponent of this issue. In fact, Wal-Mart was an active supporter in 2006 of the renewal of the Voting Rights Act of… One of Wal-Mart’s basic beliefs is respect for the individual, and Wal-Mart will continue to stand with all Americans in ensuring our right to vote.

The murder of Trayvon Martin wasn’t a turning point for democracy: it was a 180 helped along by the occupy movement in this country.

Stay tuned!

Update: Well now I can say that something called CBS News “politicalhotsheet” – on the internet – beat me to the draw on this story. That’s their job and I have another one because I don’t make any money here, so I’m not so embarrassed. It’s a good compilation too, but we’ll see if this makes it to the “public airwaves” with the importance it deserves.

Pepsi beat Coke by months, but was only reported by NPR today. Makes your head spin!

Update: Only have to say one word here…

Krugman.

Update: Latest high profile organizations to bolt from ALEC: The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, (fundation?) and, (you heard it here), McDonalds. A big gold star on the forehead to all.

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on April 5, 2012 - 8:12 pm

I could read Coke’s statement as saying:

Our secret meetings with ALEC were only self serving and we didn’t want to get involved otherwise.

But if they are more sincere about political things, I’m up for it.

2. #2 by Larry Bergan on April 5, 2012 - 8:23 pm

Will Walmart stand for hand marked-hand counted ballots with full public scrutiny and verifiable chain of custody procedures?

Probably as soon as they decide to give Ma n’ Pa operations a chance to exist through fair bulk purchases.

3. #3 by brewski on April 5, 2012 - 9:36 pm

Larry,
    Zimbabwe has paper ballots.

That doesn’t mean that the lefties don’t steal the elections every time.

4. #4 by Larry Bergan on April 5, 2012 - 9:54 pm

Thanks brewski/noname for providing the picture:

In Zimbabwe they vote in white boxes which could be opened and examined by real, actual people, but in “the greatest country on the face of the earth” we vote in black boxes which – by law – can only be seen by corporations.

Thanks again!

5. #5 by Larry Bergan on April 5, 2012 - 11:22 pm

I’ve made some important updates to my post above, but I’m still not seeing this story on the front pages of our media.

This isn’t a story about a missing white woman, It’s a story about a missing democracy.

6. #6 by brewski on April 6, 2012 - 8:44 am

And yes, they have boxes with paper and real people, and still the elections are fixed. Thank you!

7. #7 by cav on April 6, 2012 - 10:10 am

But there’s nothing like fondling an electronic voting machine to make one feel all modern n’ shit.

8. #8 by Larry Bergan on April 6, 2012 - 7:43 pm

It’s no wonder that the tradition of old people showing up to donate their time to counting ballots when south. Lot’s of old folks are intimidated by computers and the damn things weigh about 30 pounds.

Going back to hand marked and hand counted ballots would be like returning to an old familiar place, some thirty years ago.

9. #9 by brewski on April 6, 2012 - 10:57 pm

10. #10 by Larry Bergan on April 7, 2012 - 8:44 pm

Other entities that fund ALEC and should be running for hills:

The Koch Brothers, Amazon, Johnson & Johnson, UPS, Exxon, PhRMA, Pfizer, GlaxoSmithKline, Bayer, State Farm Insurance, Altria.

11. #11 by Larry Bergan on April 7, 2012 - 8:46 pm

ALEC is having a very bad year on the internet at least, and I couldn’t be happier!

12. #12 by Larry Bergan on April 8, 2012 - 9:00 am

Defy them!

13. #13 by Larry Bergan on April 8, 2012 - 3:18 pm

I never verified it, but back in the day of my involvement with election fraud, I saw about ten numbers listed in the phone book under the name of Diebold. I understand that if you called those numbers, you would be connected with Walmart,

I’m not trying to be funny

14. #14 by cav on April 9, 2012 - 9:59 am

15. #15 by Larry Bergan on April 11, 2012 - 7:36 pm

The march by GIANT corporations towards – down on your knees – contrition for their involvement in ALEC is a last ditch attempt at…

well… contrition.

Baby steps. :)

Better then nothin’!

16. #16 by Larry Bergan on April 11, 2012 - 7:38 pm

See the above update after Krugman.

17. #18 by Larry Bergan on April 11, 2012 - 7:42 pm

Come on AT & T,

You must know the penalties for not showing contrition for your crimes.

18. #19 by Larry Bergan on April 11, 2012 - 7:50 pm

cav:

Learnin’ the Bible doesn’t always pan out in the way of good jobs, but we’ll get our reward.

19. #20 by cav on April 11, 2012 - 8:10 pm

Tell State Farm, McDonald’s, Johnson & Johnson: ‘Stop supporting ALEC’

I see this as being akin to the action that brought so much pain to Komen and Limbaugh.

Keep it up.

20. #21 by Larry Bergan on April 11, 2012 - 8:33 pm

McDonalds HAS already done it’s part to defund ALEC. An amazing achievement!

My worry is that even though George Zimmerman has finally been hauled into court, and ridiculous gun laws will be examined, the media will never utter the acronym of ALEC and worst of all, never connect ALEC with election fraud.

21. #22 by Larry Bergan on April 11, 2012 - 9:01 pm

In comment #13 I said:

I’m not trying to be funny,

Here’s some verification I found. Does Walmart have a guilty conscience? Why did they bring up election fraud when nobody asked them to?

22. #23 by cav on April 12, 2012 - 8:44 am

Of course, this coin has two sides. the other being an effort to completely obscure the class issues in this country, by focusing us all on Race Issues. The ginning up of race hatred in order to divert white voters from Obama explains perfectly the focus of FOX News lately.

23. #24 by Larry Bergan on April 12, 2012 - 11:36 pm

Race war isn’t limited to blacks and whites. There are others who are less esteemed and more vulnerable whom our aspiring politicians attack without remorse.

“Lock them up, and throw away the key types” of ANY race or creed:

24. #25 by Larry Bergan on April 13, 2012 - 12:22 am