General Strike Today – Did Anybody Notice?

Work stoppages
Source: Jake Rosenfeld, Little Labor: How Union Decline is Changing the American Landscape (PDF).

Jake Rosenfeld compiled the data: The number of strikes involving 1,000 or more workers peaked at over 400 in 1974. In 2009, there were five. Fully one-third of the private sector workforce belonged to a labor union during the 1950s. The late 1970s and 1980s proved especially brutal for organized labor, with unionization rates halving during the period. The nation’s intellectuals and journalists covered this phenomenon extensively, linking union decline to a new post-industrial economy increasingly open to global trade. Recent trends have garnered less attention, yet private-sector unionization rates nearly halved again between 1990 and 2009. Now it’s below 7 percent.

In the rest of the world May 1 (May Day) is recognized as International Workers’ Day. In the USA, partly as a legacy of the Cold War, our government decided to call it “Loyalty Day.” May Day has traditionally been known as a day of mass workers’ strikes – otherwise known as the General Strike. And that’s what the 99 Percent Movement (aka Occupy Wall Street) is calling for today – a nationwide general strike. The theme of the protests is “A Day Without the 99 Percent.”

FireDogLake has is keeping track with a Live Blog.

America’s last general strike was in Oakland in 1946. Under the anti-labor Taft-Hartley Act, passed in 1947, general strikes were banned.

UPDATE:
MAY DAY CHARTS: We Don’t Currently Reward Our Workers. While productivity has been on the rise among workers, average wage and compensation has remained nearly flat. Wages are at the lowest share of GDP on record. As union membership falls, the middle class shrinks.

UPDATE: Taking Back May Day: What to Expect on the Nationwide Day of Rallies, Strikes and Actions

1. #1 by knight4444 on May 1, 2012 - 11:17 am

Thanks to republicans and corporate democrats killing unions off the common man is becoming a slave! THANK YOU RONALD WILSON REGAN AND PATHETIC DEMOCRATS!!!

2. #2 by brewski on May 1, 2012 - 2:55 pm

Why did Terry McAuliffe, former DNC Chairman, start his car company in right to work Mississippi with a non-union labor force?

Why is Nancy Pelosi’s hotel “Auberge de Soleil” non-union?

Why are Nancy Pelosi’s restaurants “Piatti” non-union?

Why are Nancy Pelosi’s wineries non-union?

Why do teacher unions hire non-union picketers and pay them wages that are well below a living wage?

Why did Michael Moore hire non-union crew to film Capitalism: A Love Story?

3. #3 by Richard Warnick on May 1, 2012 - 3:21 pm

brewski–

Good job of ignoring all the points I decided to highlight. You know, the dramatic fall of the unions, productivity gains all going to the 1 Percent, the decline of the American middle class, etc. Instead you want to recycle some old right-wing smear campaigns against random individuals.

I have no admiration for either Terry McAuliffe or Nancy Pelosi, so whatever.

Michael Moore is a member of at least three unions. I believe he has sorted out his differences with the International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees (IATSE). The leadership of that union has no comment on the right-wing accusations concerning “Capitalism: A Love Story.”

ABC News:

“For all of the different jobs on the movie that could have used union labor, he used union labor, except for one job, the stagehands, represented by IATSE,” said a labor source unauthorized to talk about Moore’s decision.

I believe we addressed this same smear against Michael Moore before.

4. #4 by brewski on May 1, 2012 - 3:35 pm

Yes, productivity gains over the last 40 years have not gone to workers’ wages. I was not ignoring that. Do you want me to high five you when I don’t disagree with you?

Those people are not “random” as you say. They are the leaders of the political left in this country and stand up and make all kinds of lame ass speeches about the virtues of unions and take union (forced from wages of the workers whose paychecks are smaller) money.

5. #5 by Richard Warnick on May 1, 2012 - 4:36 pm

brewski–

It’s been illegal for at least twenty years to take political contributions from union dues. All PAC money comes from voluntary contributions to a separate fund managed by a union’s Political Action Committee, which is independent of general management. Anyway, the Democratic Party can’t possibly survive without corporate cash, and lots of it. Because unions have almost ceased to exist. You never see President Obama playing golf with union leaders.

6. #6 by brewski on May 1, 2012 - 4:49 pm

That is factually untrue. Do your homework.

7. #7 by Richard Warnick on May 1, 2012 - 4:55 pm

Oh, and if Nancy Pelosi is, as you say, a leader of the political left, then why were President Bush and VP Cheney not impeached in 2006? She took impeachment “off the table”

“Democrats pledge civility and bipartisanship in the conduct of the work here and we pledge partnerships with Congress and the Republicans in Congress, and the president — not partisanship.”

Some leftist.

8. #8 by brewski on May 1, 2012 - 5:01 pm

She took impeachment off the table since she is guilty too.

May 12, 2009|From Deirdre Walsh CNN Congressional Producer

A source close to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi now confirms that Pelosi was told in February 2003 by her intelligence aide, Michael Sheehy, that waterboarding was actually used on CIA detainee Abu Zubaydah.

This appears to contradict Pelosi’s account that she was never told waterboarding actually happened, only that the administration was considering using it.

Sheehy attended a briefing in which waterboarding was discussed in February 2003, with Rep. Jane Harman, D-California, who took over Pelosi’s spot as the ranking Democrat on the House Intelligence Committee.

9. #9 by Richard Warnick on May 1, 2012 - 5:03 pm

Another favorite right-wing myth, debunked years ago. But it doesn’t matter, since you can’t be a leader of the political left and against impeaching Bush at the same time. It’s a logical impossibility.

10. #10 by brewski on May 1, 2012 - 5:08 pm

Mother Jones? Really?

11. #11 by Richard Warnick on May 1, 2012 - 5:21 pm

I can give you the exact same facts from another source, if you prefer. It’s been debunked.

Even supposing for the sake of argument that Nancy Pelosi was briefed about torture after the fact, knowing about a crime and committing a crime are two different things. Remember that Bush and Cheney both confessed on the record to ordering torture.

Anyway, if there is some rule on Capitol Hill against impeaching a president for the same thing you are guilty of, it didn’t exist when Newt Gingrich was Speaker of the House.

12. #12 by brewski on May 1, 2012 - 7:55 pm

Newt Gingrich committed perjury to a grand jury?

13. #13 by Larry Bergan on May 1, 2012 - 8:37 pm

I’m ashamed to say that I went to work today, but things are set up in this country to make it very hard on fellow employees when you don’t show up.

Has something to do with Americas high productivity rates and dying benefits packages.

brewski:

Yes, Mother Jones. Really!

14. #14 by cav on May 1, 2012 - 10:04 pm

Three for Mother Jones!

We win!

15. #15 by brewski on May 1, 2012 - 10:26 pm

Richard,
    Your definition of “debunking” is a little different from my definition of debunking. First of all, Mother Jones only looks at the written evidence, and ignores entirely the CNN source close to Pelosi. Believe it or not, lots of information gets communicated which isn’t written in a memo with a nice bow on it. Second of all, Mother Jones doesn’t conclude this was debunked at all. You are saying something Mother Jones does not. In fact, all Mother Jones can muster is to say:

So right now, all we can do is guess. Here’s mine: both sides are probably twisting the truth. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if the CIA was a little cagey during its briefings in 2002, but I also wouldn’t be surprised if members of Congress are now being a little cagey about exactly what they were told at the time. The motivations on both sides are just too strong to expect otherwise.

Debunked? Hardly. At best is plausible deniability.

16. #16 by Richard Warnick on May 2, 2012 - 6:43 am

brewski–

Aren’t you the guy who is always demanding definitive, documented proof of everything? There is no proof that Pelosi was told about torture. From that it is pure speculation to say this had anything to do with her decision to take impeachment off the table.

What I said remains un-refuted. You cannot call someone who cancelled the impeachments of Bush and Cheney a “leader of the political left.”

17. #17 by cav on May 2, 2012 - 7:33 am

Russia stunned after Japanese reveal plan to evacuate 40 million people

18. #18 by knight4444 on May 2, 2012 - 9:39 am

Here in Detroit hundreds of people are getting together to protest how major corporations have destroyed this country!! Wall street and our traderist politicians, extremely ignorant citizens so caught up on wanting to kiss their parties asses and don’t have the sense GOD gave a fly Politicians and toxic capitalism has brought this country to it’s knees!! But who’s laughing at this train wreck?? Those same politicians those same corporations especially rupert murdochs news corp. are making money off our foolish asses and getting away scott free!! Oh by the way China is laughing too, because we’re technically their bitches! we owe them so much money if they ever demanded the money we couldn’t pay it back!!! ONLY IN AMERICA!!

19. #19 by brewski on May 2, 2012 - 9:40 am

I understand and agree with your point. The Dem leadership including Pelosi, Reid, Obama et al. are all fake liberals who are really corporatists. You need a new party. Seriously. So do I.

20. #20 by knight4444 on May 2, 2012 - 10:19 am

Brewski I’m not for the hundredth time NOT A Democratic LOL, anyway thank you for finally understanding arguing these foolish points about who’s party is not for the common man is simply wasting your time. Now Cav, Larry, Glenden we all know the GOP is a disgrace to america but the democrats aren’t CLEARLY better!! How in the hell can you be proud of a party that rolls over like lowly mutts whenever republicans say BOO!? Today’s democrat is basically a republican from 40 yrs ago!!! I’m A LIBERIAL!! and damn proud of it!! republican smear campaigns trying to paint liberals as SATAN! and commies only work for ignorant uneducated morons!! Obama liberal?? HELL NO!! Pelosi liberal?? ARE YOU SERIOUS!?? HELL NO! fellas there are no true liberals or conservatives in Washington anymore!! BOTH parties are owned by corporates!! So you guys arguing about who’s party looks sexier is like having a beauty contest at a leper colony!!! LOL

21. #21 by knight4444 on May 2, 2012 - 10:41 am

Ralph nater actually said in mid 2008 ”if Obama wins, will he just become a house negro” I got very upset at Ralph that day!! but guess what?? HE WAS RIGHT!! Cav, Larry, be honest, hasn’t Obama in many ways followed the course of Bush jr?????? be honest. Don’t get me wrong he has done some outstanding things, like killing Ben laden!! which Bush’s sorry ass couldn’t do in 6 yrs!! but be honest if Obama was a liberial democrat why the hell didn’t he pick a TRUE LIBERIAL for the supreme court… See this is why I can stand dems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! any republican president would have picked a strong fire BOMB throwing conservative as his selection, and democrats at best would moan and groan and typically give in!!! OMG! The democratic party always wants to retreat and hide!! I hate cowards!! Brewski read this carefully my name is Gerald Knight and I’m NOY a democrat! LOL OK? lol

22. #22 by knight4444 on May 2, 2012 - 11:30 am

Listen Cav, Larry, Glenden be honest if you tried to run as liberal democrat in the democratic party how far would you get??? Not far at all! See the bottom line is liberal ideas of socialism, being environmentally friendly, actually believing that we are other bothers keeper DOESN”T WORK in the interest of either party!! That would actually take away from they’re power and money. Because big business is running EVERTHING ”we the people are screwed!!!!” unless you are in the game!! by having wealth! I’m talking millionaire status wealth! Now brewski you tell me, WHERE in the hell are the moderate republicans?? yeah buddy your beloved party threw ALL of them out!! the republican party is doomed! they’re so radial right no one with common sense can’t take them serious as an intelligent party. The GOP is dying! republicans that watch fux news are typically over 50- WHITE AND MALE- typically southern or southwestern region, brewski news flash this country is becoming BROWNER I’m refereeing to interracial dating and marriage and people having biracial offspring, this country is on schedule to make caucasians the minority in 20 yrs from now! And trust me those biracial individuals won’t forget who their father is black or hispanic. the GOP and many many many other reasons are set to fall, just take the dems with you

23. #23 by cav on May 2, 2012 - 12:13 pm

I’ll admit I often go from ‘what twisted minds’ some people have, and incidently that person, being a republican must surely be seen as proof pos ‘all republicans have twisted minds.

Conversely – party A has his / her head on straight, and being a democrat, all dems are by virtue of that association, clear thinking, enlightened, saints.

I’ve even criticized others for generalizing, but there you have it…I need a new head!

Now, whether one party is markedly more corrupt, or wimpier, really all I have to go on is the press, and I’ve come to believe very little of the press offerings, be it faux noise or MSNBC.

Still, as a vested citizen, who is skeptical of the so called ‘smartest people in the village’, and when offered such choices as we have been offered, I make my choices then act as I can to affect the larger outcomes. Now, I don’t have the economic resources that a Koch or a Soros has but I do have a voice – and as misinformed as I might be, I’ve been using that voice for over forty years. I’m getting a little hoarse but we’ve all had the satisfaction of being right a lot of the time. Still, being correct will not turn a tide of spilled oil nor stop a plutonium laced wind. It saddens me to see how we treat this planet – while playing politics.

24. #24 by knight4444 on May 2, 2012 - 1:24 pm

Heres my opinion the republicans have completely sold their souls to corporate america and the democrats are on the same trek, the difference? republicans have committed 100% to this, the democrats are like 80% Now who’s suffering? US the average joe, Regan really butched the middle class and dems have not fought hard enough to even the odds!! I study history, I liken the democrats to Nevelle chamberlain he just let Hitler break promise after promise until Hitler was well on his way to capturing Europe!! True leaders, lead! the democrats bark and run to the nearest shelter to hide! Fellas TAKE THE RED PILL and wake up!!!!! LOL

25. #25 by cav on May 2, 2012 - 1:33 pm

What are your holdings in the pharmaceutical industry? Red Pill indeed.

26. #26 by knight4444 on May 2, 2012 - 1:52 pm

LOL Cav I promise you I’m not getting any compensation on pushing the RED PILL LOL but I could make billions on people talking the BLUE PILL!!!! But rupert murdoch owns the patent!!! he has fux news viewers believing his insane asshat phoney news empire. Damn even the Chiness are smarter than us!! China threw murdoch out on his pasty old butt!!! now we’re stuck with him OMG!!! I hope the UK finds him guilty and shames him beyond belief!! Oh well the average fux viewer will simply try to pin it on Obama lol

27. #27 by Larry Bergan on May 2, 2012 - 3:09 pm

I heard something about your link at #17. The implications are astounding if it is true. I had heard the Japanese are considering relocating to an Island that is claimed by Japan and Russia.

I also heard that a congressman had actually found out that California is in trouble from Japan’s little problem caused by GE.

If there is any truth to this, it is stunning and VERY scary!

28. #28 by Larry Bergan on May 2, 2012 - 3:13 pm

Back on subject:

I watched a live steam on Michael Moores site last night and things looked awfully hot in New York, protest wise.

It wasn’t unnoticed in other places either. The best reporting so far is from AlterNet.

29. #29 by Richard Warnick on May 2, 2012 - 4:04 pm

Even on MSNBC last night, couldn’t find much about OWS. It was National Bin Laden Day, and President Obama giving a speech about staying in Afghanistan for 12 more years.

30. #30 by Larry Bergan on May 2, 2012 - 5:41 pm

NPR had a disappointingly short segment this morning.

Yeah, Bin Laden is the subject of importance on May Day and today on the “liberal” media.

31. #31 by Larry Bergan on May 2, 2012 - 6:52 pm

Diane Rehm had an interesting segment this morning where her guests were talking about the outrage republicans feel about Obama bringing up killing Osama in ads and elsewhere. Conversation starts at 10:52:57 in the transcript and audio:

DAVID – (caller)

I just wanted to point out that when Gov. Romney was whining about Obama speaking about the assassination of Osama bin Laden, I didn’t hear him calling out anything when the Bush administration repeatedly beat the drum of 9/11, 9/11 every time they wanted to get anything done. It could have set something back then, and he would have a little more credibility at this point.

REHM

Any comment, Max Boot?

MAX BOOT – (senior fellow at the Council on Foreign Relations and author of “War Made New”)

I don’t think Gov. Romney is dealing with the Bush administration right now. He’s dealing with the fact that President Obama has turn what should be a unifying national moment over the death of Osama bin Laden and tried to turn it to partisan advantage with that video claiming that Mitt Romney wouldn’t have ordered the raid and so forth. And so I think Gov. Romney was just responding to an attack, which I think has been condemned, not only by Republicans but by quite a few Democrats as well.

REHM

Michael.

MICHAEL HIRSH – (chief correspondent, National Journal magazine; author of “Capital Offense: How Washington’s Wise Men Turned America’s Future Over to Wall Street.”)

Well, I think there was more than a little bit of irony, though, in the fact that Romney appeared at an event yesterday in New York with Rudy Giuliani, who has really never stopped touting his own reputation, his accomplishments on 9/11, which he was deservedly praised for. But he became kind of a joke on the campaign trail running for president in terms of politicizing 9/11. So I think there’s, you know, there’s some taint on both sides here.

LAWRENCE KORB – (senior fellow at the Center for American Progress and former assistant secretary of defense in the Reagan administration.)

Don’t forget, today is the ninth anniversary of Bush’s “Mission Accomplished” speech.

You cannot make this stuff up.

32. #32 by brewski on May 2, 2012 - 9:54 pm

33. #33 by Richard Warnick on May 3, 2012 - 1:07 pm

It’s worth remembering that five years ago only one candidate for President –of either party– promised to send troops into Pakistan to take out Osama bin Laden.

OTOH President Obama just said we’ll be stuck in Afghanistan for 12 more years. As Rachel Maddow put it, there are six-year-old kids in America who will be spending the summer of 2024 in Kandahar because of our government’s strategic shortcomings.

34. #34 by brewski on May 3, 2012 - 1:19 pm

Wow, what a blatant lie. I read the word for word transcript from May 1, 2003, and nowhere did W say “Mission Accomplished”. So the above graphic with those words in quotation marks and attributed to W is just factually untrue. This is so untrue I would call it Maddow-esque. But hey, don’t let facts get in the way of a good story.

35. #35 by Richard Warnick on May 3, 2012 - 1:49 pm

History records that this was Bush’s “Mission Accomplished” speech. Actions, not words, is the point of the graphic.

According to Rumsfeld, he had the words “mission accomplished” removed from Bush’s speech: “I took ‘mission accomplished’ out,” he will recall. “I was in Baghdad and I was given a draft of that thing and I just died. And I said, it’s too inclusive.… They fixed the speech, but not the sign.”

This event will also be remembered as the most over-the-top example of political stagecraft, flight suit and all. Leaders of democratic nations seldom appear in military uniform.

36. #36 by cav on May 3, 2012 - 2:42 pm

Emission accomplished = we been hose like a two-bit slut.

37. #37 by cav on May 3, 2012 - 2:43 pm

hosed…grr.

38. #38 by brewski on May 3, 2012 - 3:30 pm

Your understanding of the use of quotation marks seem quite a bit different from my understanding of the use of quotation marks. You’ll need to consult your third grade teacher on this.

Using Quotation Marks
    The primary function of quotation marks is to set off and represent exact language (either spoken or written) that has come from somebody else.

Also, he was not wearing a military uniform during the speech:

He is also not wearing a military uniform here:
    This is a civilian flight suit, not a military uniform. This is a the same flight suit and would be worn by any civilian landing on the deck of an aircraft carrier in a Viking S-3B such as a news reporter or government civilian. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Viking_S-3B.jpg

You will notice the difference between the flight suit Bush is wearing and that worn by the Naval officer. Bush’s does not include flags on the shoulders nor rank. Therefore, it is not a military uniform. It is a civilian flight suit. I would think a former military member such as yourself would not make such an ignorant error.

You have a tough time with basic facts don’t you?

Hosed…grrrr.

39. #39 by cav on May 3, 2012 - 3:33 pm

If the Ohio bridge bombing case goes to trial, defense lawyers will certainly portray the 6’ 5”, 350-pound Shaquille Azir, FBI paid informant, and provocateur, as the plot’s instigator.

As it turns out, nobody can make stuff up like the PTB.

40. #40 by brewski on May 3, 2012 - 3:39 pm

I agree that leaders of democratic countries don’t appear in military uniform:
    ttp://en.mercopress.com/data/cache/noticias/27001/240×0/chavez-aniversario.jpg

You might want to tell that to Shaun Penn

and Cindy Sheehan

and Jimmy Carter

41. #41 by Richard Warnick on May 3, 2012 - 3:43 pm

According to brewski, the guy in the middle is wearing a “civilian flight suit.” The other two are in military uniforms.

42. #43 by Richard Warnick on May 3, 2012 - 4:43 pm

I guess the White House stage managers didn’t want to put lieutenant bars on the shoulders of the Commander in Chief (the highest military rank achieved by Bush before he went AWOL). But when you are wearing this patch, I think that says it all:

Michael Dukakis made the mistake of riding in the loader’s hatch, the position of the lowest-ranking guy on a tank crew. He didn’t have the kind of professional image makers they have on the White House staff, either. Who wears a tie with coveralls?

43. #44 by cav on May 3, 2012 - 5:07 pm

A uniform on the coward = lipstick on the pig = playing dress-up.

I’m reminded of the coward’s run from the TNG.

44. #45 by brewski on May 3, 2012 - 5:32 pm

Interesting that they did not use this one:

The one he wore is not reserved just for the commander in chief.

It is interesting that he is wearing “wings” given that he did actually earn them at one time.

You can see that his old man wore wings too:

45. #46 by Larry Bergan on May 3, 2012 - 5:33 pm

brewski:

Whatever Hugo Chavez’s personal motives for the US are, he is a truly brave guy who stood up against the US when we gave him his two choices – live or die. Bush is a coward who brought shame on the US.

Richard and cav are tearing your case down with ease using great sources. If I were you I would move on to another subject as your type usually does.

46. #47 by Larry Bergan on May 3, 2012 - 5:41 pm

By the way, I intend on listening to the latest Diane Rehm show where Dan Rather gets to defend himself due to recent proof that he was fired from CBS for telling the truth.

It will be fun to hear dishonest or misinformed callers in the second portion of the show bring up typewriters.

47. #48 by Richard Warnick on May 3, 2012 - 5:45 pm

The Presidential Coat of Arms carries the same authority as the Presidential Seal. Not to be confused with the Presidential Service Badge worn by White House military staff.

48. #49 by cav on May 3, 2012 - 8:13 pm

I’m not tearing down brewski. I’m having a shot at the myth-making that constantly surrounds the ‘most high’ – be they presidents, popes, ‘supreme’ court justices, or any other of those who would be kings or king-makers. The wealth divide isn’t the only thing that needs to be corrected. Right along with that is the perceived divinity divide. Our ‘bettors’ are not better by the factors they would have us believe – based as it so often is upon ill gotten gain. High on themselves and mighty ego invested in their status.

brewski’s a pretty cool guy.

49. #50 by brewski on May 3, 2012 - 8:43 pm

Larry,
    You have sunken to a new low, defending a murderous dictator. Don’t you have any principles? Or do you just like anyone who is anti-American, no matter how undemocratic he is?

50. #51 by Larry Bergan on May 3, 2012 - 9:09 pm

brewski:

Get real. I don’t know much about Hugo Chavez, but I know the oil companies weren’t interested in him being able to control his country’s oil resources. Oil has always meant power since it was discovered and how dare somebody decide not to take our offer to live or die.

Did you ever have a problem with Rumsfeld shaking Saddam’s hand or any of the other numerous comfy relationships this country has had with other dictators over decades?

All I want is the truth. When you link to nonsense stories about the QWS movement being involved in blowing up bridges, you lose me. I could care less whether it is the Los Angeles Times. It’s a rag for printing something like that.

51. #52 by brewski on May 3, 2012 - 9:16 pm

I am sorry actual events and history get in the way of your preconceived conclusions.

52. #53 by Larry Bergan on May 3, 2012 - 9:28 pm

Listen to Dan Rather, in his very candid interview with Diane Rhem tell us what has happened to CBS news. I would say this has happened to all of our – over the air – news and, at least, 99% of cable news:

RATHER

But with each consolidation of the company, the high management and ownership of the company got further and further removed from news to the point where nobody wanted to talk about public service anymore, nobody wanted to talk about what’s responsible, to the point if you walked in and said, listen, I think we need to do a primetime hour on Afghanistan or what’s happening in Sudan, somebody will say, well, that’s not going to get rating, that’s not going to get demographics.

And you say, well, yes, but it would be a public service. If you mention public service, one of two things will happen. Either they’d call a mental institution or think you were smoking something very expensive.

REHM

But, Dan, what you’re acknowledging is that the corporate culture worked its way down into CBS News management.

RATHER

Exactly.

53. #54 by Larry Bergan on May 3, 2012 - 9:40 pm

brewski says:

Well, I’m sorry actual events and history get in the way of prefabricated lies made by the people you respect.

I’m just glad I don’t have the unenviable task of defending George W. Bush and the people who made his ridiculous image in the media.

54. #55 by cav on May 4, 2012 - 8:02 am

…”no matter how undemocratic he is”.

I think we’ve come too far from actual democracy by this time to even pretend such a thing is firmly, indelibly permanently imprinted anywhere – much less in the United States.

For decades, at least since it became apparent that the Military Industrial Complex had really taken root, there’s been a struggle to retain even the pretense of citizen power. So, if Castro, Gorbachev, Chavez or Bush strike out with their peoples blessings, that’s about all you can expect. When any of them are active participants in fomenting and promoting discord, I say fuck them.

55. #56 by brewski on May 4, 2012 - 8:23 am

Who is defending W? Not me.

56. #57 by Richard Warnick on May 4, 2012 - 9:11 am

I think it’s pretty obvious the FBI is engaged in a full-court press to try and come up with something, anything that can be used against the 99 Percent Movement (aka OWS).

So they did what they do with al-Qaeda wannabes, they gave fake explosives to somebody as part of a plot created by an FBI informant. Then the corporate media report this as if the plot wasn’t initiated by the FBI.

57. #58 by Larry Bergan on May 4, 2012 - 5:49 pm

brewski:

You’re certainly trying to make the best of Bush’s embarrassing “mission accomplished” fiasco.

I think it’s hilarious – other then the fact that so many soldiers have suffered, – because YOU KNOW if the media/GOP could have succeed in making Bush look like a fighter pilot war hero with his little Iraq fiasco, they would have endlessly played his aircraft carrier jaunt before the 2004 election.

As it turns out, all of the candidates and apparently you are now pretending he didn’t exist.

58. #59 by brewski on May 4, 2012 - 6:02 pm

Nope. I was correcting verifiable misstatements of fact. Richard was making shit up. I was not defending him or making the best of anything. The only thing I was defending was reality. So pass the doobie.

59. #60 by Larry Bergan on May 4, 2012 - 8:58 pm

No brewski, the Los Angeles Times makes shit up these days. You eat it with a fork and spoon and post it.

I have to say that watching you and Richard debunk each other is a wondrous thing though. I think you both have large staffs because nobody can be that thorough by themselves. :)

I think Richard’s take on the article posted by cav, which debunks your article is entirely credible given long past strategies and recent actions by authorities concerning the 99% movement.

60. #61 by Larry Bergan on May 4, 2012 - 8:59 pm

Nobody has commented on Dan Rather yet.

61. #62 by brewski on May 4, 2012 - 10:47 pm

Dan Rather is a punk. He’s not professional. Anyone who storms off the set in the middle of live broadcast because he didn’t get his way shouldn’t be in television. Not to mention that fact that he just made shit up.

62. #63 by brewski on May 4, 2012 - 10:57 pm

As for the OWS movement and Larry’s sensibilities, this sums it up nicely.

63. #64 by Larry Bergan on May 4, 2012 - 11:35 pm

Wow. Things turn REALLY ugly when I bring up Dan Rather. I would say; a little TOO ugly.

brewski doth protests my even mentioning the name of Dan Rather – who actually has a real name.

brewski: get a hold of yourself. I have never been accused of anti-Semitism in my life. In fact, when I was 10 years old, I became very attached to a Jewish boy in my neighborhood whom I considered to be my first true friend. I stood with him when a kid in my neighborhood through a rock through his window because his parents were racist idiots.

To make a very long story short, he committed suicide when he was about 16 and I miss him to this day.

Conspiracy theories and anti-Semitism provoke hot buttons that I don’t tolerate in my free country.

If you want to label me, accuse me of anti-antisemitism, and stop being a jerk!

64. #65 by Larry Bergan on May 4, 2012 - 11:42 pm

I’m not familiar with Dan Rather storming off any set, but I do remember Robert Novak doing that. I have no idea if either one of them were Jewish or not because I don’t give a shit.

65. #66 by Larry Bergan on May 5, 2012 - 12:20 am

Here’s another person walking off the set of Fox “news” because they cut off his mike for trying to get out the fact that George W. Bush was, in fact, a deserter. This is, of course just before the 2004 – quote/unquote – “election”.

You’ve got to see this, because the interview – if you can call it that – is conducted by the future Governor of Ohio who is trying to destroy the middle class right now.

Funny stuff!

66. #67 by Larry Bergan on May 5, 2012 - 12:37 am

Back on subject:

From MayDay 2007 which ties in perfectly with what Dan Rather was saying:

67. #68 by brewski on May 5, 2012 - 11:29 am

RFK Jr is a piece of shit. He is the worst kind of lying selfish bastard that gives liberals a bad name. Everything he says has been totally disproven. He just makes shit up.

68. #69 by brewski on May 5, 2012 - 11:34 am

Larry,
    It is funny your defense that you are not an anti-Semite. Your defense is the exact same defense that conservatives use when they say they are not racists, and then liberals scoff at them and tell them that defense doesn’t count. Conservatives are not allowed to proclaim that they don’t have a racist bone in their bodies, and they have great friends who are black or whatever, because liberals tell them that they are all unconsciously racists, so no proclamation that they are not racists and no evidence of their best friends count since this mystery invisible magic racism is not apparent to themselves, only liberals have the clairvoyant power to see it in conservatives and point it out and be the judge jury and executioner of others’ racism. So you defense is not allowed under the rules of liberals who get to determine the inner most thoughts of others. Go ask Glenden about it.

69. #70 by Larry Bergan on May 5, 2012 - 11:51 am

Noname doth protest. What is there to say?

70. #71 by Larry Bergan on May 5, 2012 - 11:54 am

I’m not even that literate. Seriously, what am I to say?

71. #72 by cav on May 5, 2012 - 12:16 pm

brewski is a piece of shit?

72. #73 by Larry Bergan on May 5, 2012 - 12:30 pm

End of story!

I’m sorry that there will not be any horse race on this blog – hate that blog label, – but the fact that we have to have an honest debate to fix our problems/problema is ultimately eminent.

73. #74 by brewski on May 6, 2012 - 7:35 am

Take it up with Glenden. He is the one who doesn’t permit the “I have lots of friends who are black” defense.

74. #75 by cav on May 6, 2012 - 8:24 am

Embarrassment: I think there’s enough for all to share.

I think the Mayans have called for a really general strike long about December. Hope everyone’s preparing their tazers and arms – large and small, for that. Looks like there’ll be a much greater participation as we in the North decline into winter. But the election will be behind us – that’s one good thing.