Hate Behind the Mask of Religion

The video of Anderson Cooper interviewing Stacey Pritchard has made the rounds.  Pritchard is a member of Charles Worley’s congregation and went on Cooper’s show to defend Worley in the wake of his calls to put gay folk into concentration camps (video of that here with some reactions here).  I think some things should simply be beyond the realm of human decency and one of those things is supporting the creation of concentration camps and sending people into them.  Haven’t we learned that lesson by now?

Worley has a long history as a loud mouthed bigot (he preached decades ago extolling the old days when gay folk were strung up on oak trees).  His congregation members support Worley and his sermons.  Pritchard’s public appearance was a hot mess of word salad and blunt bigotry trying to dress itself up as old time religion.  Watch the video here.  You’ll feel sorry for her.  It’s apparent she’s never really given much thought to the issue – her responses are a grab bag of right wing anti-gay talking points (they can’t reproduce) and dreary religious nonsense.  Cooper gives here a number of softball questions that flummox her because she’s trying to do two things she’s not good at – think and speak in public.  I swear I mean that bitchy.

It’s nothing more than hate behind the mask of religion.  So many of these anti-gay “christians” tub thump on about the bible and Jesus and the good lord and saving souls but the truth is ugly and simple.  They hate gay people and they’re too dishonest to just own it so they pretend it’s some sort of religious duty.  And the Charles Worleys of the world are more than happy to cash their checks and preach their hate and call it religion and so it metastasizes into the blunt ignorance of Stacey Pritchard.

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on May 26, 2012 - 9:08 am

We have to honor them for taking off their hoods.

The world is a scary place of limited space.

• #2 by Glenden Brown on May 26, 2012 - 9:24 am

I’m struck by how unaware this pastor’s supporters are of their own words. They seem to honestly think they aren’t being hateful.

2. #3 by Larry Bergan on May 26, 2012 - 9:14 am

I can only hope the fruitful are listening.

3. #4 by Larry Bergan on May 26, 2012 - 9:37 am

These aren’t bad people; they have been taught to overpopulate and consume to their own extinction.

Of which I’m one.

USA, USA, USA! :(

4. #5 by Titus V on May 26, 2012 - 10:28 am

Honestly Glendon, with the way things are going, the bulk of us don’t care about idiots like this, I recommend buying a gun and learning how to use it.

5. #6 by Larry Bergan on May 26, 2012 - 11:08 am

Titus whatever:

I challenge you to a fistfight!

I’ve never even had a fistfight, but I’ve told you where I live. Bring it on!

Coward. :(

6. #7 by Whiny Beeeatch Larry Bergan on May 26, 2012 - 1:56 pm

Don’t bring your fists to gunfight Whiny Beeatch Larry Bergan.

7. #8 by Larry Bergan on May 26, 2012 - 2:47 pm

Where’s it gonna be, Beeatch!

Tell me the time and place. I’ll be there, without a gun!

It’s up to you!

8. #9 by Larry Bergan on May 26, 2012 - 2:50 pm

I’m serious!

9. #10 by Larry Bergan on May 26, 2012 - 2:52 pm

Tell me!

10. #11 by Larry Bergan on May 26, 2012 - 5:08 pm

I’m trying to settle down, but It’s going to take some time.

The fistfight is still on! A giant spectacle ensues!

11. #12 by Nathan Erkkila on May 26, 2012 - 8:21 pm

Five bucks says he’s in the closet.

12. #13 by Larry Bergan on May 28, 2012 - 2:22 am

If I had to pick a fiery preacher, it would definitely be Jim Morrison:

• #14 by Glenden Brown on May 28, 2012 - 7:31 am

I don’t remember now where I heard it, but some folks suggest that we’ve replaced church with music – that large chunks of popular music are more spiritual than what many people get in church on sunday and speaks to people’s real lives.

13. #15 by Larry Bergan on May 28, 2012 - 9:20 am

The truth always finds a way. It can be through music, science fiction or other art forms. The fallacy of religion will never be able to stop it.

• #16 by Glenden Brown on May 28, 2012 - 9:41 am

My pastor likes to talk about the distinction between church as an institution and church as an experience. If religion were to focus on experience – experiencing the divine, the other, the authentic – rather than on the forms it would be more vital. Until then, most people will seek those things elsewhere.

14. #17 by Whiny Beeeatch Larry Bergan on May 28, 2012 - 10:00 am

Nathan assumes it takes one to know one..as for the 5 bucks, you really aren’t that sure ya cheapskate. Maybe time for you to sit in a park somewhere, and ponder on where did all that change go?

Whiny Larry, I’d just let you hit away and have you charged with assault, so you could be tossed in prison, and then we could find out in there how our of the closet you would become…Whiny Beeatch…control those emotions, otherwise you’re just easy bitch.

15. #18 by Whiny Beeeatch Larry Bergan on May 28, 2012 - 10:03 am

Meet me at the Temple Square. 12 sharp..Tues. you whiny and less than intelligent Beeeatch.

16. #19 by Larry Bergan on May 28, 2012 - 10:08 am

If religion were a thing:

17. #20 by Larry Bergan on May 28, 2012 - 10:14 am

12 noon or 12 midnight? South side or North side?

You’re going to have to throw the first punch.

18. #21 by Larry Bergan on May 28, 2012 - 11:15 am

I need an exact time and place, or I’m not going to waste the gas.

Which flagpole, dude?

I’ll be there!

19. #22 by Whiny Beeeatch Larry Bergan on May 28, 2012 - 1:19 pm

Oh Larry you Whiny Beeeatch, throw the first punch? Waste the gas already!! Head to the Temple and make a man of yourself.

20. #23 by Larry Bergan on May 28, 2012 - 1:34 pm

Again I say:

Which flagpole, dude?

Time and place!

21. #24 by cav on May 29, 2012 - 1:54 pm

Moroni as ref – I can see it now.

22. #25 by Larry Bergan on May 29, 2012 - 3:50 pm

Meet me at Moroni, twelve sharp! :)