Walmart Dumps ALEC!

This could mean different theoretical things…

1. Walmart and other VERY LARGE corporations have already got everything they ever dreamed of. Amazon just bolted recently. You’ve already heard about McDonalds and the others.

2. ALEC is about to change it’s name which would allow our complicit congresspeople to pretend to stand for working peoples interests too, instead of only the shareholders, while continuing to peruse the same aims.

3. Corporations and the congresspeople, who have bolted, are feeling bad about what they’ve done to the country and have decided we should have the right to vote, have a good environment, collectively bargain in our workplace, not be killed by cowards with guns, not be put in jails for profit, have healthcare that doesn’t send us to the poorhouse and numerous other liberal ideas that bring people joy and comfort.

I’m not saying which different theoretical thing this might mean, but I’ve been pretty skeptical over the last decade.

I KNOW, I KNOW! Corporate leaders could be put in jail for not maximizing their shareholder’s profits. Where in the hell did that law come from: most certainly NOT from the people!

Maybe ALEC could work on that one before they disband.

1. #1 by brewski on May 31, 2012 - 4:18 pm

One could easily argue that a single payer system would be loved by all corporations other than those in health care. Think about it. If you are Wal Mart or GM or Boeing, and now you have to deal with and pay for part of the health care costs for millions of employees and their families, then adopting a true universal national health care plan (single payer or any of the other models) would relieve these big bad corporations of their current health care expanses. This would be a huge boon to all corporations other than the drug companies and similar health care profiteers. So most corporatists should be wildly in favor of universal health care provided by the government and not by the corporations.

2. #2 by Larry Bergan on May 31, 2012 - 6:42 pm

I asked you over here to answer questions about ALEC, but maybe you’re lost.

3. #3 by brewski on May 31, 2012 - 9:33 pm

Are you going to now tell me how I am allowed to answer a question? I think you need another doobie.

4. #4 by cav on June 1, 2012 - 10:48 am

Give me an ‘F’.

Give me a ‘U’….

What’s that spell? What’s that spell?

5. #5 by cav on June 1, 2012 - 12:25 pm

Brief update, for those without a current scorecard. Xe (formerly Blackwater) has renamed itself “Academi”. Seriously.

6. #6 by Richard Warnick on June 1, 2012 - 2:06 pm

They should have taken the advice from the Danger Room blog and gone with the Hello Kitty logo.

7. #7 by Larry Bergan on June 1, 2012 - 8:08 pm

I almost forgot about Blackwater until somebody at Occupy SLC brought it up a couple of weeks ago. Changing your name does work, but the media is failing at it’s job too, as usual.

NPR actually had a news story about Walmart and ALEC yesterday. Sort of surprised me. The local affiliate, KUER had some coverage of Occupy SLC’s intent to have a “welcoming committee” for ALEC when they have their conference here next month.

8. #8 by Larry Bergan on June 1, 2012 - 8:11 pm

brewski:

If you’re not allowed to talk a about ALEC, I understand.

9. #9 by cav on June 1, 2012 - 8:37 pm

Danger Kitty luvs her some body parts! Me Oww

10. #10 by Larry Bergan on June 1, 2012 - 8:40 pm

The GOP spin machine has decided not to even put out talking points about ALEC. It’s obvious they’re going to treat it just like they did David Brock’s book, “Blinded By The Right”.

It doesn’t exist.

11. #11 by Larry Bergan on June 2, 2012 - 5:37 am

Well, OK…

I haven’t heard the DNC making much hay about the ALEC problem either, even though almost all of the ALEC members are Republicans.

Kabuki theater? Maybe Joe Biden will illuminate us. :(

12. #12 by cav on June 2, 2012 - 8:40 am

I’ve always seen ALEC as a very astute, agenda-driven organization and lamented that progressives weren’t using similarly effective models. It must be the $hiney bribe pool the left couldn’t bring themselves to accumulate.

13. #13 by Larry Bergan on June 2, 2012 - 2:35 pm

I guess it’s secretive money-driven agendas that are designed to take away the rights of people that I have a problem with.

ALEC had no desire for public input and doesn’t want the public to have the right to vote, even though astronomical amounts of money are paid to the media with the intent of misinforming them.

The system is broken because it’s filled with money and lies.

14. #14 by Larry Bergan on June 2, 2012 - 3:09 pm

Boy, am/are, I/we ever naive!

ALEC already has different names. One of them was started 40 years before ALEC.

Uncovering the Other ALECs

No wonder the powers don’t seem to give a crap about what we think.

Sorry to even bring this up.

15. #15 by Larry Bergan on June 2, 2012 - 3:53 pm

Just bought a DVD of “What About Bob?” for a good deal.

Think I’ll spend the next to last day of vacation from my working-my-aging-ass-off-for-nothing-job, laughing.

Hope I’m not in trouble.