Quintessential Coverage of Wisconsin Loss

No doubt about it!

There is no better man to tell you about what might have happened in the recent Wisconsin election:

Nobody will ever know if the people of Wisconsin were stupid enough to be swayed by months of television advertising, religious indoctrination, (which always tells them to vote Republican), scary unions, which will never come close to making the kind of money that some were able to pour into this “election” from who-knows-where, people who got phony robo-calls, telling them they wouldn’t need to vote if they signed a recall petition which only needed 100,000 signatures, but got 900,000 signatures, or something else.

You tell me.

Brad’s archive of mischievous election going-ons is someday going to be as large as the Mormon genealogical archive if we don’t get rid of these voting machines.

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on June 9, 2012 - 6:53 am

P.S.

If you have an American connection, which is probably less then par, you can lessen the quality of the video in this post to 240 by clicking the YouTube icon at the bottom right, which looks, sort of, like a star. This will allow you to watch the video without it stopping every 15 seconds.

Thank you.

2. #2 by Larry Bergan on June 9, 2012 - 10:30 am

Propaganda has no nutrients. You can eat as much as you want, and it will only fill your toilet.

Americans are not consumers; we are people who need to live; just like everybody else.

Live by the golden rule.

Glenn Beck probably hasn’t bought any gold. If he has, he’s a fool. If he hasn’t, he’s still a fool.

My opinions.

3. #3 by Ronald D. Hunt on June 9, 2012 - 2:29 pm

I have always though that touch screen voting was fine but that it should print a human readable ballot for the purpose of counting, The machines are fine for a quick get the results out on election night thing, but their should always be a real hand count of all of the ballots.

4. #4 by Larry Bergan on June 9, 2012 - 3:19 pm

I can agree with you that the machines could be a kick ass exit poll – if that’s what you mean.

However, as the law stands; the paper printouts that people are sometimes allowed to see, (and I have a whole other story about that which I witnessed first hand), are NEVER counted under law. The printouts go into the canister, and the canister is sealed and destroyed after two years unless a very stupid judge – who would have no way of knowing if the printout matched the computer card – ,called for a recount.

In fact; if the Florida debacle of 2000 had happened here, even though we used the exact same system, the punch cards would have never even been looked at. It wouldn’t have mattered if the election had been “won” by ONE vote.

Utah lawmakers never leave a stone unturned when it comes to staying in office.

5. #5 by cav on June 9, 2012 - 3:28 pm

Ronald, back some years ago when they were comforting the masses with the correctness of their purchase they allowed the people to come to the mall for a little demonstration election. You could vote for George Washington and the like. You could also write in a candidate if that’s what you wanted to do.n option I exercised. Well there may have been 5000 mock voters, and nowhere in the results was there registered a single write in vote.

It was all for show. And it’s all for show today.

6. #6 by Larry Bergan on June 9, 2012 - 5:11 pm

cav:

I was at that showing. Boy was I ever!

The following comment, which I posted at BradBlog.com on 5-13-2006 is:

“the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, so help me God”

(Since, sometimes, punctuation tends to look like Chinese or something over time, I have edited the post to be more readable).

7. #7 by Larry Bergan on June 9, 2012 - 5:19 pm

COMMENT #20 [Permalink]
    … Larry Bergan said on 5/13/2006 @ 4:05 am PT…

Since I have been involved heavily in this voting machine debacle for a number of years now, it was an amazing coincidence to me where the last showing of the machines took place here in Utah before the purchase. I showed up at work that day and my boss was holding a hammer in his hand. I said “you should take that to where they’re showing the voting machines and see if you can fix them!” He said “It’s right next door”. I said “you’re kidding”. He led me around the corner and we were literally 3 yards away from Lt. Governor Herbert who was lit up by a local television news crew taking an interview! Without thinking, I cuped my hands over my mouth and yelled, they don’t work!

Not believing what had just happened, he exclaimed LARRY! and hurried me back into our store, but I could sense slight amusement. Everybody I work with knows how crazy this issue makes me.

Mr. Herbert was there for quite a while, talking to reporters and others who had questions. After I decided what I wanted to ask, I got in line behind about 3 other people. Just before I got to him, he left and walked towards the back of the room with someone. A man I assumed to be his body guard asked me if I really wanted to ask Mr. Herbert a question. I said sure! What do you want to ask him he enquired. I replied Why was the accuracy of the voting machines only weighted at 20%? (up from 10% in Utahs original RFP, (Request For Proposal), document. “Let me go ask him”, he said. He left and came back saying he didn t have the information available, but was going to have somebody look into it. I stood there for a while but decided I better get back to work.

There wasn’t much going on that day for some reason and I got anxious about having my question answered. I went over and got in another line that had formed. I was next in line when the reporter questioning Mr. Herbert asked him “what exactly does DRE stand for?” He hurriedly motioned for the question to be answered by his assistant who ran from several yards away. I thought I could help and started out, “direct recording…” He quickly repeated the query to his assitant who answered as the questioner looked at me and smiled wryly. She finished up and two other men came walking briskley towards Mr. Herbert who turned and started to leave with them. I said tersely, “Mr. Herbert?.” The Lt. Governor turned back towards me and motioned for the other men to go ahead without him.

He graciously talked with me for some 5 minutes or so. We had a very cordial discussion for the most part, but my anger came out when I pointed at the Diebold display and told him I didn’t think those machines should even be considered because the company had been sued twice and lost both times. He pointed at my workplace and asked if I would want my company closed down after a lawsuit? I didn t think to respond by saying this matter was a little more important then a suit over a pair of eyeglasses. I probably crossed a line when I arrogantly surmised that he had already made up his mind about which machine to buy! He strongly refuted the suggestion.

He become very animated at two questions I asked. Doesn’t it make you nervous to be buying voting machines that are secretly programmed in another state which might want to send their nuclear waste here someday? He replied that they were going to take every precaution to make sure every vote was accurately counted. I also told him I was pretty sure that supreme court justice Scalia had said that Americans didn t necessarily have the right under the constitution to vote for president. He scoffed at the idea. (I later discovered I was right).

I wrapped up the conversation by telling him thanks for talking with me, but adding that I thought we should be voting with pencil and paper this time because of all the doubts about the machines. An older lady that heard the conversation came over and joined in laughing with Mr. Herbert at the ridiculous suggestion. “My goodness, do you realize all of the fraud that occurs in elections.” The Lt. Governor exclaimed he had seen unbelievable things happen before!

An assistant to Mr. Herbert came into my store hours later with an answer to my question about the 20% weighting. We were polite to each other but I don t think I understood the answer.

Addressing the comments by Mr. Bear’s line of reasoning in THIS post, discrediting any talk about some evil and nefarious election officials who would sneak in and introduce a piece of software is not at all new. It has come up many times here in Utah as the officials here scoff at the idea that some janitor is going to break into the computer room, or the Lt. Governors chief of staff Joseph Demma saying, the notion that county clerks are going to allow someone to access a voting machine with drills, computer chips or voodoo is just plain nonsense .

You’re all way ahead of me here folks.

How in the wide world is voting on a computer going to eliminate the possibility of voting fraud?

8. #8 by Larry Bergan on June 9, 2012 - 5:52 pm

As fate would have it; the day I posted my my conversation with Lt. Governor Herbert was my birthday.

You must follow the thread down to read my silly conversation with Gary’s chief of staff. He, absolutely refuses to answer my question about the GAO, (Government Accounting Office).

9. #9 by Ronald D. Hunt on June 9, 2012 - 6:31 pm

I don’t mean that that shitty recipe tape should be used for counting votes, the fact we even use such a thing is stupid.

The computer should print to a stiff paper card that is output for the voter to actually hold and place into a ballot box and then be counting just like old fashion paper ballots.

Computers can’t be trusted to count elections, and voters seem to have issues filling out paper ballots properly, so solve both problems without taking on the failings of either system.

Use a burn printer, so that their is no ink or toner to smudge or run out of. Clearly in a large font print the name of the candidates with the voted on candidate in a larger bold font.

The voter can inspect the printed ballot to verify correctness before depositing in the ballot box.

Best of all worlds.

10. #10 by Larry Bergan on June 9, 2012 - 6:56 pm

Come-on Ronald:

Voters never had or have problems filling out paper ballots.

Nobody can hope to know who the judges are, because the media only tells us about car crashes, fires, child abductions and other things that average workers have no control over.

If you eliminate the judges from the ballot, (until we know of their dirty deeds), it will be a breeze to vote.

Baby steps!

11. #11 by brewski on June 9, 2012 - 9:46 pm

Come on Larry, there has always been and there continues to be illegitimate elections even with paper ballots. I commend your passion on this topic, but elections have been rigged using paper ballots for ever.

As for Brad, I don’t recall him saying that Obama “bought” the election when he outspent McCain by 3 to 1. This canard about spending only reveals the hypocrisy of the left.

12. #12 by Nathan Erkkila on June 10, 2012 - 12:37 am

Well if this is the result of people voting for Walker, then I think it’s a good thing. Mainly because America’s idiocy stems from comfortable lives. The moment those lives no longer become comfortable, then they will swing the other way. Pain is a really good teacher.

13. #13 by Ronald D. Hunt on June 10, 2012 - 1:11 am

Voters never had or have problems filling out paper ballots.

Hanging chads, All of the write votes for the Alaska senate seat that got tossed in 2010, accidental marking of 2 different circles in the same race, the circle not filled in enough for the read to pickup, smudged, miss written ballots, etc.

Paper would be better then what is current in the system, but their is no reason to think their isn’t room for improvement even with them.

Using different density paper at each prescient assigned at random the day before the election and held in secrecy until the day after, so that it becomes very difficult to simply swap ballot bags out during transport as the paper weight would differ, have the US treasury print ballot paper with special markings using the same level of security as money so that private sources can’t so easily hook and crook ballots.

Their is alot of things we could do, And I think it is perfectly acceptable to be ultra paranoid about this to.

14. #14 by cav on June 10, 2012 - 9:39 am

The pundits are all blathering; the victory was for common sense and common people over the terrible union bosses and union thugs. They are also mentioning that people don’t like recalls. (I really discount this one as a victim of circumstance. If those who would recall the governor had had another 30 Million to spend I am pretty sure that this figure could and would change dramatically).

So, by pundit and republican accounting, it was not the enormous sums contributed by arguably un-American Neanderthals, it was the special interests that lost and the people who won. And recalls are always wrong. . . just cause! That’s why.

15. #15 by cav on June 10, 2012 - 12:31 pm

“When you go into that voting booth… When you are about to push that button or pull the lever… The first and most important question on your mind should be, “How many people are going to die as a result of my vote?” Humans halfway around the world will be shredded by bullets, bombed, suffer and die, based on your choice! Hundreds, possibly thousands, of innocent people will be murdered! Now, take that with you into the voting booth, and try to pick the candidate who will kill the least amount of people! Go ahead!”

James Madden

16. #16 by Anonymous on June 10, 2012 - 12:45 pm

Can anyone believe this, this was on TV recently..asked by ABC news….http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/HealthCare/story?id=7919991&page=1

“MR. PRESIDENT WILL YOU AND YOUR FAMILY GIVE UP YOUR CURRENT HEALTH CARE PROGRAM
    AND JOIN THE NEW ‘UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE PROGRAM’ THAT THE REST OF US WILL BE ON ?”

THERE WAS A STONEY SILENCE AS OBAMA IGNORED THE QUESTION AND CHOSE NOT TO ANSWER IT !!!

IN ADDITION, A NUMBER OF SENATORS WERE ASKED THE SAME QUESTION AND THEIR RESPONSE WAS.”WE WILL THINK ABOUT IT.” AND THEY DID. IT WAS ANNOUNCED TODAY ON THE NEWS THAT THE “KENNEDY HEALTH CARE BILL” WAS WRITTEN INTO THE NEW HEALTH CARE REFORM INITIATIVE ENSURING THAT THAT CONGRESS WILL BE 100% EXEMPT!

SO, THIS GREAT NEW HEALTH CARE PLAN THAT IS GOOD FOR YOU AND I… IS NOT GOOD ENOUGH FOR OBAMA, HIS FAMILY OR CONGRESS…?? WE (THE AMERICAN PUBLIC) NEED TO STOP THIS PROPOSED DEBACLE ASAP !!!! THIS IS TOTALLY WRONG !!!!! PERSONALLY, I CAN ONLY ACCEPT A UNIVERSAL HEALTH CARE OVERHAUL THAT EXTENDS TO EVERYONE… NOT JUST US LOWLY CITIZENS…. WHILE THE WASHINGTON “ELITE” KEEP RIGHT ON WITH THEIR GOLD-PLATED HEALTH CARE COVERAGES.
    If you do not pass this around, may you enjoy his Plan!

This guy shills for public employee unions that the public funds, and then wants to force Americans onto a health plan he and his family refuses to participate in.

What a cocksucker!! So is anyone supporting this..I have news for you…yer dun!!

17. #17 by brewski on June 10, 2012 - 4:24 pm

Obama is going to have the same health care we have the same day Obama sends his kids to DC public schools. Never.

18. #18 by Larry Bergan on June 10, 2012 - 5:27 pm

Ronald:

I heard about the idea of having ballots made out of high quality paper like money is printed on somewhere, and I think it’s a great idea!

I’ve been asking for paper ballots for some time now, and it is a breeze to vote on them. It’s much easier then the machines. I was elated to actually be marking my choice on paper with the name of the candidate right there for the first time, as opposed to the punch cards we’ve been using ever since I started to vote.

I do think taking the judges off the ballot is a good idea. Perhaps if somebody wants to vote for or against the judges, they could ask for a separate ballot for that.

As for the punch cards; I don’t consider them to be a real ballot because they don’t have names on them and could easily be manipulated by the computer that counts them. In fact the machines that counted them could be programmed by radio.

The best thing to do would be to put Brad Friedman in charge of our elections.

19. #19 by Larry Bergan on June 10, 2012 - 6:01 pm

This video is a tear jerker:

I’m trying to ignore how important this election was, but this guy may be right.

20. #20 by brewski on June 10, 2012 - 10:18 pm

According to Robert Reich, democracy ended when Obama made secret deals with Big Pharma. That was 3 years ago in case no one was watching.

21. #21 by cav on June 11, 2012 - 7:00 am

I thought it might have had something to do with killing John F. Kennedy for wanting out of Vietnam and Cuba. Tha must have been another democracy altogether.

22. #22 by Richard Warnick on June 11, 2012 - 10:08 am

brewski–

If only you had held George W. Bush to the same standard you have set for Barack Obama! For example, no way you would have let him get away with Medicare Part D.

23. #23 by Plate on June 11, 2012 - 10:23 am

When is the government going to fill me?

24. #24 by Plate on June 11, 2012 - 10:29 am

If only the democrats hadn’t continued the bush legacy in every single way, even though they had the power to have done anything else…, but I drone on..anyone? anyone want to put me in the dishwasher?

25. #25 by brewski on June 11, 2012 - 11:35 am

Who said I didn’t hold W to the same standard?
    Who said I did let him get away with part D?

26. #26 by Plate on June 11, 2012 - 11:58 am

That would Richtard “the confused” Warnick…any talking sense and you will be retroactively accused of things you never said..by now there is little chance he will change his schtick…paper plate is his MO. Plastic fork anyone?

27. #27 by cav on June 11, 2012 - 12:04 pm

Plate – report to the dish-washing related program activities complex – immediately! The particulate matter adhering to you cortex will be spot-cleaned without too much pain. It’s for your own good.

: )

28. #28 by Richard Warnick on June 11, 2012 - 12:21 pm

brewski–

Anytime we criticize former President Bush, you leap to his defense.

29. #29 by brewski on June 11, 2012 - 3:58 pm

Anytime you make up shit and lie, I correct you on your facts. You can say anything you want about Bush as long as it isn’t Maddowesque made up shit.

30. #30 by Richard Warnick on June 11, 2012 - 6:08 pm

OK, the Bush administration rammed Medicare Part D through Congress without paying for it. Now, Republicans demand that every government program must be paid for, but they also refuse to stop giving tax cuts to the rich.

“[I]t was standard practice not to pay for things” when a Republican was in the White House, said Senator Orrin Hatch.

31. #31 by Larry Bergan on June 11, 2012 - 7:09 pm

brewski:

I don’t know exactly when you showed up on this blog, and I am very happy with your decision to use one name here the entire time.

I’m willing to bet you didn’t show up until after Obama was elected. It wasn’t until a democrat won office that republicans all over the country started to display remorse about Bush’s polices, which were obviously the worst in years, or – arguably – ever up to that time. Of course, that’s why Romney refers to him as Obama’s predecessor.

If you can point to posts you made against Bush before Obama, I’d love to see them.

32. #32 by Larry Bergan on June 11, 2012 - 7:11 pm

By the way, let’s not forget the Obama won office, whereas Bush took office.

33. #33 by cav on June 11, 2012 - 7:17 pm

brewski has the cricket imitation down pat!

34. #34 by Larry Bergan on June 11, 2012 - 7:33 pm

Remember the guy who got next to zero press in the MSM, but almost died in a hunger strike in Wisconsin. The “related posts” section of this blog reminded me of the post I did about him, so I went to see if his blog was still up.

It is, and he did a post just before this election in which he displays some optimism about the defeat of Walker. :(

He must be feeling pretty discouraged as Walker struts around with that smug look on his face.

35. #35 by Larry Bergan on June 11, 2012 - 7:50 pm

cav:

Speaking of John F. Kennedy: Terry Gross did an interview with Ray Bradbury in 1988 which was replayed the other day. He didn’t think we’d ever get to the moon until he was an old man, but, in fact, he was in his mid-forty’s when he got to meet every astronaut at NASA. He had the time of his life.

Ironically, it was Nixon who got to call the astronauts and congratulate them after they landed on the moon. The next Republican president was only interested in weapons in space.

Both Ray Bradbury and Rod Serling had republican leanings. It’s a complex world, however there was a time when republicans weren’t insane. We have to remember that.

36. #36 by Richard Warnick on June 11, 2012 - 9:53 pm

cav–

There was a time, only a dozen years ago in fact, when I was a Republican. But George W. Bush cured me.

37. #37 by cav on June 11, 2012 - 10:02 pm

George W. Bush made ME sick.

38. #38 by Knife on June 11, 2012 - 10:59 pm

See ya soon..

39. #39 by Larry Bergan on June 11, 2012 - 11:19 pm

Knife has spoken!

Who’s ya?

40. #40 by Larry Bergan on June 11, 2012 - 11:22 pm

Richard:

It’s awfully hard to catch you making a mistake, but I think you were trying to address me in comment #36.

Gottha!

41. #41 by Richard Warnick on June 12, 2012 - 7:36 am

Larry–

Gottha? You’re right, I meant to reply to you.

42. #42 by cav on June 12, 2012 - 7:55 am

When Plate Knife, Fork and Spoon are all assembled here, it’ll be the Apocalypse and our asses grasses!

43. #43 by brewski on June 12, 2012 - 11:18 am

Richard,
    So you are defending doing the wrong thing now because of wrong things done in the past?

Nice logic.

44. #44 by Richard Warnick on June 12, 2012 - 11:36 am

brewski–

If you are familiar with Keynesian economics, you know deficit spending by the government is how you re-start the economy after one of capitalism’s periodic meltdowns.

OTOH the Bush administration just didn’t feel like paying for anything, not even wars — and nobody tried to make them pay, either. Where was the so-called Senate “65 vote rule” when Bush wanted tax cuts for the rich? It passed with a simple majority, and the deciding vote came from Dick “deficits don’t matter” Cheney.

45. #45 by brewski on June 12, 2012 - 11:53 am

Actually, I am more familiar with Keynesian economics than you seem to be. Read this:

46. #46 by Richard Warnick on June 12, 2012 - 12:41 pm

One man’s opinion, and it rests on Keyne’s disapproval of structural deficits. But the structural, long-term deficit problem wasn’t of Obama’s making (although he missed an opportunity to let the Bush Tax Cuts For The Rich expire).

The Obama administration’s Recovery Act was Keynes-lite, didn’t go far enough. That’s my opinion. Now is the time to borrow at historically low rates to finance infrastructure, which will help the economy long-term.

47. #47 by brewski on June 12, 2012 - 1:21 pm

Keynes was one man. So much for your latest dodge du jour.

48. #48 by Richard Warnick on June 12, 2012 - 2:03 pm

I was referring of course to Allan Meltzer, who implied that structural deficits are Obama’s fault when they are really not.

49. #49 by Larry Bergan on June 12, 2012 - 4:22 pm

Karl Rove’s ugly baby – American Crossroads – is about to launch an unrelenting, well funded advertising campaign blaming Obama for every penny that is being added to the deficit.

I’m thinking there isn’t ONE television station that will reject the ads because there’s money to be made.

Karl Rove certainly hasn’t changed his strategy of blaming the other side for things you’re doing. The “crossroads” website features the famous poster of Obama, with the word fear replacing hope.

The fact that this dirty bastard is walking free is one of the greatest travesties of justice this country has ever seen.

50. #50 by Richard Warnick on June 12, 2012 - 4:47 pm

51. #51 by Ronald D. Hunt on June 12, 2012 - 6:14 pm

“Amazing, when you consider that the Romney is proposing to add $5 trillion to the National Debt.”

No he is proposing adding $9 trillion to the Debt, as he plans to extend the Bush tax cuts before adding his tax cuts on as well.

He also wants to invade Iran, and who knows how much that will add to the deficit.

To say nothing of the 20% increase in defence spending or $3 trillion to $4 trillion dollars over 10 years.

Mean while he wants to cut Medicare/Medicaid, SS, and a large pile of domestic spending, which will further decrease net aggregate demand and lower potential tax revenue to the government.

All the while his new 0% foreign profit tax will cause all profits to be made outside the united states as profit transfer scams grow from prolithic to universal, Even further depriving the government of needed revenue.

A Romney presidency would be the end of Capitalism.

52. #52 by cav on June 12, 2012 - 6:37 pm

Not that I have any religious attachment to Capitalism…it’s the rest of your list (Ronald) that has me almost shrieking, “Kill me NOW!”

53. #53 by cav on June 12, 2012 - 6:45 pm

WASHINGTON — “The recent economic crisis left the median American family in 2010 with no more wealth than in the early 1990s, erasing almost two decades of accumulated prosperity, the Federal Reserve said Monday.”

A hypothetical family richer than half the nation’s families and poorer than the other half had a net worth of $77,300 in 2010, compared with $126,400 in 2007, the Fed said. The crash of housing prices directly accounted for three-quarters of the loss.

The money did not “disappear” as the media so often has it, it was transferred from the poor to the rich with the help of the government “Of” the people.