The grown-ups

When the conservatives started buying french wine and champagne to pour down the gutters after France had the nerve to say there where no WMDs in Iraq, i assumed the children had taken over the GOP. Did it occur to any of them that after you buy the stuff, it doesn’t really matter what you do with it? I mean they got the cash, does it matter how you waste it? (by the way, how did that turn out? Find those weapons did you? Proved those frenchie frogs wrong did you? Anyone apologize for “freedom fries”? No, I thought not) When the lunatic right started calling themselves “teabaggers” I started to suspect that we didn’t have any adults left in conservative politics. When they started marching around with tea-bags stapled to their hats I really did think it was too late.

When Mitt started the campaign with things like driving in circles and honking the bus horn at Obama rallies, well let’s just say my opinion of his level of class was confirmed. Watching GOP members censor women for daring to speak out about abortion (as if that is an issue women are allowed to have an opinion on! Ha!) and later for using the (gasp!) word “vagina” (I do declare get my fainting couch!) was almost anticlimactic. Watching the GOP campaign and pretend to govern is a bit like watching third graders try to run a country. Backwards third graders. The girls have cooties, the boys spend all their time proving a manhood they don’t have, normal English terms are off limits and I suspect the height of sophistication is fart jokes.

But even given that history, even if those are your peers, some people manage to stand out from the crowd as the most immature of the children.

Behold, dead beat dad, offender of war veterans, and all around class act, Joe Walsh.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the party of Lincoln. Who, if we could wrap him in copper and mount him in a ring of magnets, could single handedly solve our power problems, due to the unbelievable speed with which he is currently spinning his grave…

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on July 6, 2012 - 5:40 pm

Somebody at CNN should have poured a cold bucket of water over Walsh’s head during that scene. What an asswipe!

2. #2 by Larry Bergan on July 6, 2012 - 5:49 pm

On the embarrassment called “freedom fries”, the man who coined the term was Walter B. Jones, Jr. and, although he never apologized – Republicans never apologize – he was monumentally embarrassed about it and actually said so.

From Wikipedia:

Jones was initially a strong supporter of the conflict in Iraq, but then became one of the leading Republicans opposed to continued involvement in Iraq. Jones became well known for leading the effort, along with GOP Rep. Bob Ney, to have french fries renamed “freedom fries” in House cafeteria menus as a protest against French opposition to the 2003 invasion of Iraq.[29] Jones later modified his stance on the war to a considerable extent. In 2005, he stated that he had come to believe that there had been little reason to go to war, despite his earlier support, which had been based upon selective intelligence supplied to Congress. He said of his previous position on the fries, “I wish it had never happened.” In July 2006, the names were quietly changed back.

As I said; Republicans never apologize, but they sometimes ask other Republicans to do so:

Jones called on President George W. Bush to apologize for misinforming Congress to win authorization for the war. Jones said, “If I had known then what I know today, I wouldn’t have voted for that resolution.”

3. #3 by Larry Bergan on July 6, 2012 - 5:57 pm

I was carrying my Impeach Bush sign around in those days, I was hoping to find an establishment here that was serving “freedom fries” so I could stand in front of their restaurant.

I had to settle for Dee’s on 7th east and 21st south, which was advertising “patriotic pancakes”. Turned out to be a great place to protest and I went back several times. Lot’s of traffic.

4. #4 by Shane on July 6, 2012 - 10:07 pm

It isn’t often noted, but the most insulting thing about French fries to the French, is leaving the name unchanged…

No part of “freedom fries” made sense. But it is good to know the guy felt bad. Just not enough to do anything about it.

5. #5 by Larry Bergan on July 7, 2012 - 12:35 am

I’m perplexed about when our relationship with France went bad. After my dad got back from WWII he had fond memories of the French and I remember hearing a song called “The Poor People of Paris” endlessly in the fifties. Despite the title, it was a very happy-go-lucky song. I haven’t heard it for about 50 years.

Yeah, grease fried potatoes does seem a little tacky for French cuisine.

6. #6 by Shane on July 8, 2012 - 8:09 am

I can’t tell you Larry, I have never looked into it.

I do know that whenever it happened it makes no sense. Unless you have been taught an entirely incompetent version of history, they are our sister nation. The revolution without them would have been a couple of weeks long and would have ended very badly for the “new nation conceived in liberty.” we have a statue from them, some of you may have heard of it. And since you bring up WWII, one of the saddest things I have ever heard was the rightwing bitching about “French surrender monkeys” during the Iraq war run up. Does the average person on the right have so little knowledge about the last “great war”?

Wait, I take that back. Most of them still think we found WMDs in Iraq, and that was practicly yesterday….

I shouldn’t think about this stuff so early in the day. Going to go have some freedom toast.

7. #7 by Larry Bergan on July 8, 2012 - 3:16 pm

Don’t forget Rumsfeld dissing on “old Germany” when they disagreed with him. These awful people have done so much harm to our reputation in the world.

Back when the Iraq war was new somebody had an internet site listing the war promoters and calling them “chickenhawks” because none of them had served in the military – except for Rumsfeld who most likely had a desk job. You’d never have to be a surrender monkey if you never were on the front line.

What the French did for us in the revolution was just amazing. We should always be friendly countries.

8. #8 by Larry Bergan on July 9, 2012 - 7:45 pm

This ties in perfectly with this post.

Remember this kid and his speech at CPAC? He’s done a complete 180.

A portion of his article:

…earlier this week, Politico released an interview in which I announced I wasn’t a conservative anymore — and the proverbial crap hit the fan. Since then, I have been treated by the political right with all the maturity of schoolyard bullies. The Daily Caller, for instance, wrote three articles about my shift, topping it off with an opinion piece in which they stated that I deserved criticism because I wear “thick-rimmed glasses” and I like Ludwig Wittgenstein. Why don’t they just call me “four-eyes”? These are not adults leveling serious criticism; these are scorned right-wingers showing all the maturity of a little boy. No wonder I fit in so well when I was 13.

9. #9 by Larry Bergan on July 9, 2012 - 8:09 pm

This kid really got around in upper GOP circles. Good for him for knowing a bad thing and getting out. He could have been the next Ralph Reed if he’d wanted it.

Take a look at the slide show. There isn’t a single scumbag missing.

10. #10 by Shane on July 9, 2012 - 9:24 pm

Dear god, he likes Wittgenstein?!?

Gives some of the best thought experiments in his century. Why is that bad? Because he isn’t American?

Strange people.