Morello Responds to Ryan: Must Read!

When are Republicans going to stop associating themselves with musicians who don’t like them by playing their songs at political events or saying they like them?

Read Morello’s great response to Ryan in Rolling Stone:

Paul Ryan’s love of Rage Against the Machine is amusing, because he is the embodiment of the machine that our music has been raging against for two decades.

I have to admit, I don’t know much about “Rage Against The Machine” or their music, but this interview with Bill Moyers shows his passion and intelligence. Tom Morello cares about people.

Ryan cares about rich people.

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on August 20, 2012 - 9:50 pm

Of course, Paul Ryan’s endorsement of “Rage Against The Machine” is a bad joke designed to elicit a violent reaction.

He didn’t get one.

“They got the guns, but, we got the numbers”.

~Jim Morrison.

2. #2 by cav on August 20, 2012 - 10:14 pm

Discression advised.

Is it the mayhem rAyn likes? It would be wrong not to speculate.

3. #3 by brewski on August 20, 2012 - 10:46 pm

Interesting reading Morello’s bio. His childhood up through college was very very similar to that of Obama.

He also lists my favorite bands as his influences.

He then hooks up with people that I knew in the 3rd grade to make RATM.

4. #4 by Larry Bergan on August 20, 2012 - 11:37 pm

Ayn Rand didn’t like people putting words in her mouth. One of the last things she wrote was in opposition to Ronald Reagan’s election because she didn’t believe in mixing church and state.

Barry Goldwater expressed very similar opinions just before his death.

None of the media is pressing either Mitt Romney or Paul Ryan on theirs, or the entire congress’s obvious leanings towards religious monarchy.

brewski/noname is religious. Maybe he can enlighten us.

5. #5 by brewski on August 21, 2012 - 8:46 am

I didn’t see a religious question in this post.

6. #6 by cav on August 21, 2012 - 3:00 pm

Mitt Romney: “I was too important to go to Vietnam”

“Governor Romney, it is true, is it not that you had four deferments from the Vietnam War… You have said before that you support war and the efforts of US military involvement overseas at all costs, yet you made sure you would never go to war yourself. What makes you think that veterans and those currently serving in the military think that you have their best interests at heart when you yourself weren’t even interested in sacrificing your time, energy, or life for your nation at a time when it seemed most crucial?”

Romney responded:

“That’s a good question, young man, and I would be happy to answer it. The Vietnam War came at a time in my life when I had other plans. I knew in my heart of hearts that I would one day serve my nation. That I would one day hold an office that would help not only our nation, but also the world. So I did what I could to make sure that I would be around to serve my nation, as well as serving God by teaching very important religious principles to a broader audience overseas. My father did not want me serving, and he convinced me that yes, I was too important to go to Vietnam. I had a greater purpose in life. I wasn’t neglecting my nation, but rather preparing myself for a future of service.”

An onlooker that seemingly was a Vietnam veteran shouted, “Fuck you, Romney! You wouldn’t know service if it bit you on your well manicured ass.” To which Romney responded, “Please don’t be testy, my friend. I did what I did for you, and I thank you for your service as well.” That same veteran responded, “You only served yourself, you jackass. You could’ve served your nation even if your draft number wasn’t called… but you didn’t… you chose to serve yourself instead. Thanks for revealing your true colors.”

7. #7 by Richard Warnick on August 21, 2012 - 3:02 pm

He actually said, “I was too important to go to Vietnam.” Amazing. :-o

8. #8 by brewski on August 21, 2012 - 3:49 pm

Sounds just like Slick Willy.

9. #9 by Tim Carter on August 21, 2012 - 5:12 pm

I love that video Cav. Outside the Staples Center for the 2000 Democratic Convention.

By the 2008 Republican Convention in Minnesota, the cops had gotten alot smarter (bolder). The just cut off the power. So Morello/De La Roca used a bullhorn for a minute. So much for free speech…

10. #10 by Larry Bergan on August 21, 2012 - 6:23 pm

I’m not real into songs about cop hate. I don’t think it helps matters to divide us any further then we are.

We all know where the REAL violence stems from, and it’s way above the police’s level. I’m sure there are bad apples.

I wanted to watch the Moyers video again, but it’s not working. I guess there’s a lot of interest in that particular episode since this little scuffle with Ryan.

11. #11 by Larry Bergan on August 22, 2012 - 3:23 pm

The Moyers video is back up.

Watch it!

Especially if you work in the police department.

12. #12 by Larry Bergan on August 22, 2012 - 3:55 pm

brewski:

So you say that Morello was influenced by the bands you loved and even knew the people he played with in his band.

Do you have any opinions about his interview with Bill Moyers?

13. #13 by brewski on August 22, 2012 - 4:32 pm

It’s a long interview and he talks a lot about lot of different things.

I’m not crazy about Moyers when he interview lefty people, since he is lefty himself, so the interview is a huge love fest of compliments and softball questions. So it isn’t all that interesting. If Sean Hannity interviews Mitt Romney, you aren’t going to get the hard questions.

As for Morello, it is a lot easier to be a musician showing up at protests in Madison, than it is to be a parent and taxpayer in Wisconsin. If his taxes were getting increased to pay for the benefit package of teachers which are more generous than what you have, and your kid’s teacher has tenure and isn’t doing a good job, then the issues are a lot more real to you. So you are making yourself poorer, so someone else is getting better off and may not be doing a good job and you can’t do anything about it. So who are the haves and who are the have nots?

14. #14 by Larry Bergan on August 22, 2012 - 5:00 pm

brewski:

Morello doesn’t seem to be the kind of guy who would mind if his taxes were raised to help the poor or teachers with honest motives.

Maybe YOU can tell me who the haves and the have snots are. Bush gave a famous speech to the havesnots. Were you there?

15. #15 by brewski on August 22, 2012 - 5:24 pm

If you are making $30,000 per year, and you have no pension, no health insurance, no 13 week paid summer vacation, how is it moral to make yourself poorer to give more money to someone who makes $103,300?

Nicolet teachers are the highest paid public school teachers in Wisconsin. Their average salary and benefits for the 2009-2010 school year (latest available) was $103,300 per year. And that was before the School Board recently awarded them a 2 percent annual pay increase retroactive to 2009.

16. #16 by Larry Bergan on August 22, 2012 - 6:49 pm

brewski/noname:

If tenure is what you’re talking about. I’m with you.

The Supreme Court Justices should be replaced, based on their performance by a non-partisan jury.

Especially after appointing a president to their liking.

Agreed?

17. #17 by brewski on August 23, 2012 - 5:21 am

I’m pretty disgusted with their political cop out on Obamacare. Clearly that is unconstitutional.

18. #18 by cav on August 23, 2012 - 7:40 am

But it was crafted in such a way as to make the ‘republicans’ look like the ones responsible for pleasing the Masters.

Somewhere, in the dark depths of this Kabuki, Obama is pushing Trans Pacific Partnership.

19. #19 by Larry Bergan on August 25, 2012 - 3:11 am

Probably off topic, a little – not wholly, but funny as hell:

Even comes with a Krugman article!

20. #20 by cav on August 25, 2012 - 8:05 am

A two-headed monster. Interesting which head is smaller.

21. #21 by Larry Bergan on August 25, 2012 - 8:56 am

cav:

If you ever stop delivering on this blog I, personally, will find and love you!

22. #22 by cav on August 25, 2012 - 11:16 am

I’m not sure how not to not take that, except to say I blog exclusively for the pleasure of the ‘Top Administrator’. I suggest you take it up with Him / Her.