Taking Drill Baby Drill to Extremes

CNN’s Erin Burnett is “Out Front” with the misinformation:

For a fourth straight day, gas prices in California reached a record high. A gallon of gas is 87 cents more there than the national average. The high prices are the result of a shortage. One way to bring costs down costs? Drill for more oil.

Today, Shell was doing just that – drilling into the Arctic sea floor for the first time in 20 years. The company expects to find enough oil to eventually meet one-fifth of America’s needs.

In reality, there is a world market for oil. Last year, the U.S. was a net exporter of oil for the first time since 1949. Did gasoline fall to the inflation-adjusted 1949 price of just over $2 a gallon? No. A glut of oil in North America simply means more exports and more oil company profits, not savings for consumers. CNN is wrong.

At the end of August, the Center for Biological Diversity issued a warning (emphasis added):

“By opening the Arctic to offshore oil drilling, President Obama has made a monumental mistake that puts human life, wildlife and the environment in terrible danger. The harsh and frozen conditions of the Arctic make drilling risky, and an oil spill would be impossible to clean up,” said Rebecca Noblin, Alaska director at the Center for Biological Diversity. “Scariest of all, the Obama administration is allowing Shell to go forward without even having the promised oil-spill containment equipment in place.”

Drill Baby Drill. It’s like the Deepwater Horizon catastrophe never happened.

UPDATE: CNN’s Erin Burnett Gets It Wrong On Drilling And Gas Prices

More info:

Charts Reveal Drill, Baby, Drill Fails to Stop High Oil Prices

Related posts:
President Obama Doubles Down on ‘Drill Baby Drill’ (June 21, 2012)
How Big is the Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill? (May 13, 2010)
President McCain: ‘Drill Baby Drill’ (March 31, 2010)

1. #1 by brewski on October 10, 2012 - 10:10 am

In related news, illiterate looney lefty blogger drives to Price and back weekly since the train is not convenient for his lazy self indulgent lifestyle.

2. #2 by Richard Warnick on October 10, 2012 - 10:18 am

brewski–

Resorting to ad hominem indicates you lost the argument, or maybe had no argument to start with.

3. #3 by brewski on October 10, 2012 - 10:21 am

I guess Cliff, Glenden, Shane, et al. have lost every argument ever.

4. #4 by cav on October 10, 2012 - 10:23 am

B..bu..but, the Fracking Doors sang ‘Strange Days!!?

5. #5 by brewski on October 10, 2012 - 3:31 pm

Richard,
    What is it with you and your insistence on being a pathological liar? Even when you know something is false, and you have already been called out on it, you keep doing it.

Your source said:
    “The U.S. exported more gasoline, diesel and other fuels than it imported in 2011 for the first time since 1949, the Energy Department said.”

You said:
    “ast year, the U.S. was a net exporter of oil for the first time since 1949.”

Again, this is like saying the US is an exporter of wheat when we are in importer of wheat and an exporter of bread. It really is simple, and you know it is simple, but you lie anyway.

I know you know you are lying. I just can’t figure out why you lie so much. Please tell me, what is your motivation for going out of your way to lie all the time?

6. #6 by Richard Warnick on October 10, 2012 - 4:02 pm

We’ve been over this. Oil is a generic word that refers to petroleum and petroleum derivatives. Hence the term “the oil industry.”

So relax, there is no point in fighting the dictionary.

If you ever want to address the substance of this issue, tell me whether you think Drill Baby Drill is a good way to reduce the prices paid by consumers in the U.S.

7. #7 by brewski on October 10, 2012 - 5:55 pm

We’ve been over this. If you use a generic term when you mean a specific subset of that generic term then you will be wrong. The US is NOT an net exporter of oil generically. It is only a net exporter of the narrower definition of refined product. So your own generic reasoning is wrong when compared to the actual facts the actual data and your own actual source document. I am on the side of the dictionary and you are arguing the side of the illiterate.

The argument being made about oil prices now by the GOP is just as bad as the argument made about oil prices in 2008 made by Regressives. They are both wrong.

8. #8 by Larry Bergan on October 10, 2012 - 7:24 pm

There was a story on NPR yesterday morning that said the oil resources in Iraq are getting awarded to countries besides America. The strategy they went with was to make promises to actually rebuild the country in return for the oil rights rather then; bomb baby bomb.

Man, we’re stupid!

I’ve always said that we should have just paid Sadam for the oil. It would have come at a fraction of the price. Nobody listens to me. :)

9. #9 by Richard Warnick on October 11, 2012 - 6:52 am

brewski–

The U.S. produces more gasoline and petroleum products than we consume. True or false? Please provide a link with your answer.

10. #10 by brewski on October 11, 2012 - 7:10 am

We’ve been through this before.

Yes. The US produces more gasoline and petroleum products than we consume. This is not oil. These products are made from oil. But they are not oil. The US is still a net importer of oil. I’ve said this a bazillion times. Thank you for agreeing with me.

11. #11 by Richard Warnick on October 11, 2012 - 9:39 am

…Therefore Erin Burnett is wrong when she says, “high prices are the result of a shortage.” And she is wrong to say the answer is Drill Baby Drill.

12. #12 by cav on October 11, 2012 - 9:46 am

Perhaps Erin needs a good ‘drillin’ ifuknowhatImean.

13. #13 by brewski on October 11, 2012 - 10:05 am

Shocking, the news gets things wrong? Amazing. I watched Ed Schultz for about 1 minute last night and he was dead wrong about a dozen times in that time, although I think he knows he was wrong but was just intentionally lying.

14. #14 by Richard Warnick on October 11, 2012 - 10:08 am

Ed Schultz does not claim to be a journalist, as Erin Burnett does. He is a liberal political commentator. But you won’t hear him repeating corporate propaganda about a nonexistent gas shortage cause by lack of oil drilling.

15. #15 by brewski on October 11, 2012 - 10:25 am

Eric Burnett does? Show me proof!

16. #16 by Richard Warnick on October 11, 2012 - 10:46 am

Erin Isabelle Burnett (born July 2, 1976) is an American journalist and news anchor, currently the anchor of her own news show on CNN, Erin Burnett OutFront.

Note the use of the terms “journalist,” “news anchor,” and “news show.” Not commentator and opinion show.

17. #17 by brewski on October 11, 2012 - 10:52 am

You said she calls herself a journalist. I don’t see any where where she calls herself one.

18. #18 by brewski on October 11, 2012 - 10:53 am

“He is a liberal political commentator.”

Is that some license to be a pathological liar? I guess you think so.

19. #19 by Richard Warnick on October 11, 2012 - 11:30 am

You have to have a quote from Erin Burnett referring to herself as a journalist? OK. At least she didn’t say she was good at it.

Ed Schultz, unlike the pretend reporters on Faux News Channel, does not masquerade as a journalist. He delivers his opinion. What did he lie about?

20. #20 by brewski on October 11, 2012 - 11:40 am

She doesn’t call herself a journalist in your link. I need proof!

21. #21 by Richard Warnick on October 11, 2012 - 12:06 pm

She does call herself a journalist. Plus, CNN calls her “the network’s Chief Business and Economics Correspondent” and bills her show as a “news program.”

22. #22 by cav on October 11, 2012 - 12:34 pm

I’m Erin Burnett, and I approve this message. Now drill, baby drill.

23. #23 by brewski on October 11, 2012 - 2:15 pm

No she didn’t. I need proof!

24. #24 by Richard Warnick on October 11, 2012 - 2:21 pm

Erin Burnett says: “I’m a journalist.”

25. #25 by brewski on October 11, 2012 - 2:38 pm

You are right, she did say she is a journalist. Although she said that at CNBC and now her role at CNN in “OutFront” might be considered a different role. Wouldn’t be the first time a “journalist” said something that was untrue. Happens every day, you know, just like the the President and the Ambassador to the UN.

26. #26 by Richard Warnick on October 11, 2012 - 2:42 pm

brewski–

I know, why don’t you call her up and ask if she is a journalist? I already told you her role at CNN is hard news.

Yes, journalists often say something that’s untrue. The good ones (e.g. Rachel Maddow) make a correction as soon as possible. Maybe Erin Burnett will make an on-air correction now that Media Matters has called her on her bogus assertion that there is a gas shortage and that drilling in the Arctic will bring down prices.

27. #27 by brewski on October 11, 2012 - 3:02 pm

You told me her role? But the Richard Warnick standard is Proof! Show me proof!

Rachel Maddow is about the worst piece of flesh on the planet. She lies and fabricates for a living. Nothing she says is true other than “I’m Rachel Maddow”. After that, it’s all crap.

Media Matters is also not a source to be used ever for anything. They don’t count.

28. #28 by Richard Warnick on October 11, 2012 - 3:41 pm

CNN identifies Burnett as “the network’s Chief Business and Economics Correspondent.” I provided a link. Which was the proof. I notice you seldom provide links to sources, brewski.

Speaking of proof, you have never proven that Rachel Maddow ever lied at any time.

29. #29 by cav on October 11, 2012 - 4:21 pm

Sometimes brewski’s performances are right in line with the republican mode of simply aggravating ‘the other side’. And just when I was beginning to give him a little credit for smarts, he gets hard-headed again.

30. #30 by Richard Warnick on October 11, 2012 - 4:31 pm

brewski tacitly conceded the point of this post, which is that the right-wing Drill Baby Drill meme hasn’t got any validity, even though Erin Burnett mindlessly repeated it on the air.

31. #31 by brewski on October 11, 2012 - 4:41 pm

I didn’t tacitly concede anything. I explicitly said she is wrong? Which part was tacit and which part was conceding? Are you on drugs?

32. #32 by brewski on October 11, 2012 - 4:42 pm

I already did and you already admitted Maddow is a lying piece. You conceded already.

33. #33 by Richard Warnick on October 11, 2012 - 4:46 pm

You might want to look up the definition of “tacitly.” It’s pretty much the opposite of “explicitly.” And read your comments up thread.

No, you never documented any lie by Rachel Maddow. Your feeble attempts fell way short.

34. #34 by Jonesy on October 11, 2012 - 5:28 pm

The shortage is in the refineries..it is terrible public policy to allow the oil industry to shutter refineries and simply let the price rise for finished oil products, and then ship them out to the highest bidder. The oil majors should be compelled to produce a certain amount of gasoline and diesel to get a license to operate in the US..what they are doing amounts to a form of monopoly, with the less they produce, the more profit they make.

Heard about the infrastructure for LNG being built between LA and Vegas for modified semi trucks? It will be brought to SLC after the Vegas link is complete. Privately done. LNG is so cheap we should convert directly for transportation. You can get LNG at most gas stations in Canada, and they run any kind of ICE on it with cleaner emissions of any other type of fuel we currently use.

Needless to say the buttwad of LNG now is the product for better or worse…..of fracking. It has been a total game changer. Too bad for alternative energy, it is about to be blown out of the water. 1.20 a therm…yee haw!

35. #35 by cav on October 11, 2012 - 5:51 pm

That they do it (frack) doesn’t make it good – even thought their market share, bottom line and profit column seem to swell. I wouldn’t find it at all surprising to discover they’re planning a refinery to ‘refine’ the ‘waters’ of the Gulf of Mexico too.

Nutshelling my own point: Costly, catastrophic spills happen. The impact of these spills on the GDP are always in the positives column.

36. #36 by brewski on October 11, 2012 - 8:40 pm

Why is it you are associating me with Erin Burnett? I never watch her, I can’t stand her, I think she is an idiot. So why are you insisting that I am “conceding” that she is an idiot? I knew she is an idiot years ago. This would be like telling you that you “conceded” that Obama is an idiot, when you already said so.

37. #37 by Richard Warnick on October 11, 2012 - 9:41 pm

Au contraire mon frère. I gave you credit for recognizing she was wrong, mindlessly repeating Drill Baby Drill when it has been disproved.

38. #38 by Larry Bergan on October 11, 2012 - 10:44 pm

brewski spews:

You admit that “the worst piece of flesh on the planet” has a real name.

What does a coward like you have?

Could I suggest reviewing your life?

39. #39 by brewski on October 11, 2012 - 10:47 pm

It is funny though given that Obama blamed Bush for oil prices as though Bush controlled the worldwide market for oil, as you have pointed out this makes no sense. We can agree that Obama made no sense then and Burnett makes no sense now. I don’t know why CNN hired her. That is true for just about everyone on CNN. I don’t know how they exist. At least MSNBC has a deliberate strategy of getting viewers from the looney left by spewing to them the lies that they already believe. I mean, even looney lefties need to buy toothpaste and toilet paper from their advertisers.

40. #40 by Larry Bergan on October 11, 2012 - 10:47 pm

That was cruel. I’m sorry.

41. #41 by brewski on October 11, 2012 - 10:50 pm

If you pay me as much as Maddow gets paid, I will use my real name.

Maddow’s net worth is estimated at $12.5 Million. You pay me that, and I will tell you my name.

42. #42 by Larry Bergan on October 11, 2012 - 10:55 pm

It’s all about the money!

I KNEW IT!

43. #43 by Larry Bergan on October 11, 2012 - 11:00 pm

What would you be wiling to do do if I could give you the Koch Brothers fortune.

I shudder to think.

And I say this on a thread that criticizes Obama.

Integrity RULES!

44. #44 by cav on October 12, 2012 - 5:02 am

The sponsors list of the Maddow Show is really quite impressive.

Not what you would think.

45. #45 by brewski on October 12, 2012 - 8:58 am

Apparently it is all about the money for Maddow. I knew it!

46. #46 by Richard Warnick on October 12, 2012 - 9:08 am

When did Barack Obama blame George W. Bush for oil prices? Quote, please, with link.

47. #48 by Richard Warnick on October 12, 2012 - 10:26 am

Actually, Obama wasn’t blaming President Bush for high gas prices. He was blaming Bush for not doing enough to encourage renewable energy.

But then Bush crashed the economy, and gas prices went down. Still below the 2008 peak.

48. #49 by Jonesy on October 12, 2012 - 1:06 pm

We aren’t at the peak anymore, gas is 4.25 in WA. and of course this is bad for the O man. Even if he has no control over it, it’s all gets assigned to him. I don’t why any president snivels when this happens, it comes with job and if you are always blaming others for it, or saying you can’t do naything, you sound like a 5 year old to the American public. Not very presidential. Best to just suffer it and STFU.

49. #50 by Jonesy on October 12, 2012 - 1:06 pm

We aren’t at the old peak anymore, gas is 4.25 in WA. and of course this is bad for the O man. Even if he has no control over it, it’s all gets assigned to him. I don’t why any president snivels when this happens, it comes with job and if you are always blaming others for it, or saying you can’t do anything, you sound like a 5 year old to the American public. Not very presidential. Best to just suffer it and STFU.

50. #51 by Richard Warnick on October 12, 2012 - 2:23 pm

Most politicians of both major parties pretend that Drill Baby Drill is the answer, ignoring the actual economic reality of a worldwide commodity. And that Keystone XL pipeline is not for us consumers – it’s for the oil companies to get to export markets.

51. #52 by brewski on October 12, 2012 - 5:12 pm

And?

52. #53 by Jonesy on October 12, 2012 - 9:06 pm

Check your natural gas bill this winter if this is how you heat. Drill baby drill has produced so much natural gas that the price has fallen 5 fold in the last 3 years. 1.30 a therm.

Right now an LNG infrastructure for semis is being privately built between LA and Vegas, it will be brought to SLC after that.

We are in the catbird seat Richard, and the carbon footprint of the US is estimated to drop by 20% after the full conversion from coal to natural gas is made for power generation.

Try to keep up.

53. #54 by cav on October 12, 2012 - 9:07 pm

Also. Too!

In response to brewski…gotta be fast around here, or jonesy’ll beat ya.

54. #55 by Larry Bergan on October 12, 2012 - 9:18 pm

Frack baby frack?

What about the word “renewable” sounds bad? It’s working for Germany.

It came out in the local election for Governor that our good friend :) Energy Solutions – formally known as prince – has been bringing in higher grade waste then they promised.

I’m SURE Gary will illuminate us on that.

55. #56 by Jonesy on October 12, 2012 - 9:19 pm

Guys, I know your schticks so well, I could respond to them in my sleep.

56. #57 by cav on October 12, 2012 - 9:30 pm

Perchance to dream.

57. #58 by Larry Bergan on October 12, 2012 - 9:32 pm

Here’s what we’re talkin’ bout in relation to our big blue ball:

Yeah, baby!

58. #59 by Jonesy on October 12, 2012 - 9:36 pm

When I was in Wyoming I attended a public meeting Halliburton put on to alleviate concerns about fracking, the representative there drank a pint of of what they use in front of the crowd.

Now that does mean that when you punch the aquifer with a drill you do not contaminate the aquifer with your drill mud and lube? NO, not necessarily, but be advised that this situation has been going on since the first well was ever drilled.

Also the prior formulations of fracking fluid are certainly poisonous, and the industry wasn’t too diligent about polluting the frack site. That is changing, and there is a zero product on the ground policy that is well enforced, I know as I have been there, working, and seen it.

Are there accidents and contamination? You bet, but the incidents are being minimized. It is no longer the free for all it once was. Still banging, but with oversight.

Does that mean we should trust them or the incompetent federal government to make sure they are obeying the rules? NO, NAY, ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!. We have to make sure the oversight is ongoing. It was one reason I decided to work the fields was to learn the process and know for myself..now I can do public oversight and educate and inform others. I tired of not truly knowing, so I went and found out.

Do we know all the implications of this technology? No. Though in comparison we know how deadly and dangerous nuclear power can be, yet on it goes. I choose natural gas over nukes for now. Fukishima has taught me the lesson, I no longer support nuclear power. The Germans are ditching it saying it is not humanly possible to guarantee safety over the long term because basically human beings while diligent, still ALWAYS fuck up..good enough for me.

59. #60 by Larry Bergan on October 12, 2012 - 9:42 pm

cav says:

Also. Too!

In response to brewski…gotta be fast around here, or jonesy’ll beat ya.

Jonesy’s on FIRE, baby!

Watch it now! Watch it now! Here he comes!

60. #61 by Jonesy on October 12, 2012 - 9:51 pm

Renewables are adjuncts in Germany. Yes they did produce half of their needs for electricity this summer for one day the rest they bought off of nuclear France. With modern countries and huge populations you need to be able to switch it on at will when you need it. Don’t doubt that Germans will frack, they are currently fracking in England..

Germany as well is moving away from the AGW farce. Their scientists have done an assessment of a greenhouse planet, our neighbor Venus, the upshot is that Venus’ surface and atmospheric temps are just what they should be based on their distance from the Sun despite being rife with CO2, SO2 Methane and all other types of greenhouse compounds.

Through deduction of this fact they have to now question that “greenhouse” gases have any other impact but a nominal one, it appears the Sun and it’s cycles is the primary driver of climate, that is their conclusion.

Upshot: They are making plans to build state of the art coal scrubber plants and burn their own lignite in the future to have that “switch” power available. Until new tech arrives, this is how the stop gap will work. In the meantime they will keep growing and building their renewable energy systems.

61. #62 by Jonesy on October 12, 2012 - 9:58 pm

They have a plan, we have the most natural gas on Earth, they have to do other stuff, and it is very costly, for the time being we have gas, and don’t have to do other stuff, so we are not going to..this is my assessment..

62. #63 by cav on October 13, 2012 - 9:34 am

Solyndra, which claims in the lawsuit that the trio were involved in predatory pricing and price fixing, filed for bankruptcy a year ago as it could no longer compete with plunging prices of solar panels imported from China.
    U.S. solar companies launched a complaint last year alleging protectionism from Beijing for Chinese panel makers, sparking trade disputes between the two countries.

63. #64 by Jonesy on October 13, 2012 - 9:43 am

Are you kidding? They are fishing for some way to get the law off their back!! When people in china making solar panels are getting paid 40 cents an hr, you don’t need protectionism to kick America’s ass all over the place in the solar market!

Use your head cav, you obviously have one, and it is too early on Saturday morning to bother watching obama cartoon fantasies..God Damn Looney Tune is the situation.

64. #65 by cav on October 13, 2012 - 9:47 am

Hey. Can’t do cartoons. Or foreign sweatshops / slavery, or off-shoring jobs and a race to the bottom. Right.

I’ll go pick apples for a pie.

65. #66 by Jonesy on October 13, 2012 - 10:15 am

life is best when you are picking apples with a toddler cav, go find one and enjoy marveling, maybe, ( they can just cry, it’s up to you to lead them to happiness) and thank our lucky stars our babies aren’t getting a leather awl in the forehead (favored method of infanticide of baby girls in china, I’m keeping my NUKES handy) so that there are finally 200 million more men than women there.

Or a little boy child working in what amounts to a prison for almost nothing like in 1850′s England..JTFC the things we turn away from for money….Despite my agnosticism, I have come to believe that there are devils sprouting out of women’s wombs everyday.

66. #67 by Richard Warnick on October 13, 2012 - 10:58 am

Anybody who downed a pint of actual fracking fluid would have to leave in an ambulance. They refuse to say what’s in that stuff, but it is definitely not something you can drink safely.

67. #68 by Jonesy on October 13, 2012 - 11:05 am

The new formulations are organic and non poisonous, you better get up to speed, this is same kind of thing as two weeks late on the Libyan Jihadi-obama connection.

You can frack with plain old water if you want, it isn’t as effective.

Here is a possibility…it dawned on me as I have worked in the environmental clean up biz that due to cost of disposal, in the beginning it may have been that industry just simply took hydraulic waste they had to pay to dispose of and just started using it as fracking fluid….that is the “propietary secret”. You can frack with water, it just works better with some solvents and surfactant type of compounds in the formulation,..

What I theorize above is no longer possible due to public scrutiny, so they switch over to what they use now which is green, basically, it’s just water, it is after all HYDRAULIC FRACKING!

As it is the process of disposing of salt water and poisonous elements is now done by simply pumping the crap down a dry oil well for forever storage.

What in the hell do you read to stay not current?

68. #69 by Jonesy on October 13, 2012 - 11:23 am

Vegetable oils works, bio-diesel.

Truth is that punching holes through non permeable ancient substrates by drilling is where the contamination begins at day one of the process, but that has been the case since the first well has ever been drilled. Drill mud is often just mud and diesel fuel for lubricant for decades..

Once the holes are punched and cased the pipe in places (some 15k feet of it) with connected steel rods (inside the casing) to the pump at the bottom lose alignment and wear out the walls of the casing pipe in places.,.result?

Open flow of product into whatever is the surrounding environment, if that happens to be the water table well then there’s contamination. Voila! It is only noticed in the past when the well suction fails and no more oil comes up even though you are pumping..that is what “workover” rigs and operations are meant to repair among other maintenance of the well.

69. #70 by Jonesy on October 13, 2012 - 11:25 am

Hope this is edumuhcational

70. #71 by Richard Warnick on October 13, 2012 - 11:30 am

Glenn–

If you are an industry insider as you claim, then tell me what’s in the fracking fluid. I happen to know it’s not “just water.” I doubt if the guy you saw in Wyoming drank a solution of Hydrochloric acid.

71. #72 by Jonesy on October 13, 2012 - 11:54 am

Of course not, I said you could use just water but it’s not as effective…First the well area to be fracked is treated with acid, if even a small amount of parafin coats the substrate the fracking fluid even under 10,000 psi will not gain purchase and the frack will fail.

That acid is pumped back out into storage tanks onsite for future remediation or disposal.

Now the frack begins, what’s in it? None of us know and you will be fired for talking about it if management hears about it. If you are found with camera onsite, you are fired. Most of the process is broken down into parts of teams who just do their jobs, and don’t often interact. The bulk of the workforce is former military, you are a shoe in for a job even if your IQ is 70. The entire process is rather para-military, so you should understand how it rolls, you do as you are told and don’t ask any questions if you want to stay around.

Whatever compounds were used were used more than anything because they are either cheap or FREE. Now since the heat is on and contamination is showing up, they switch to greener products which do the same thing just cost more.

Once the the entirety of the compounds are joined they are pumped down the casing pipe at pressures sometimes up to 10,000 psi. STAY AWAY!! Any failure of components at the site results in death if you are near them. Violent death. The casing is bunged up with a removeable plug in the zone to be fracked.

Before this occurs “wireline” uses an munitions type “gun” to fire carefully crafted projectiles at that zone to perforate the casing pipe.

Once the fracking fluid formula has been all sent down to and through the casing perforations (some 2 to 6 million gallons in what I have seen) the man made silica “sand” is circulated into the now evolving frack that spreads into the product zone and that is what holds the fissures open so the frack doesn’t fall in on itself. Theoretically. They sometimes collapse and that is what the low grade “earthquakes” are all about. After all you have sometimes up to 15k ft of earth above the frack, just a tiny bit of pressure which is why frack pressures are so high in order to defeat it.

As the sand is being set, the frack fluid is cycled back as much as it can be and is contained for future storage or remediation, or in the case of my work in CO stored in ponds for reuse.

For years these ponds did not even have to be lined, so there was of course seepage in places where OUR aquifers are, right near the surface. They must now be lined, and are, with bentonite, rubberized plastic, or both.

Frack done, and in comes the the other crews to set up product storage tanks, condensate, etc etc, and of course the royalty check goes to whoever owns the rights. The site is then downsized and the top soil that was removed to create the well pad is re-applied and Richard gets to drive his SUV piece of shit to Price twice a week.

72. #73 by Revolver on October 13, 2012 - 12:11 pm

Given what Jonesy just told you about the industry you can understand why a moniker is essential.

It is patently moronic and evidence of a form of asinine stupidity that is hard to reach displayed by most liberal and progressives to out people who are trying to clue you in. You are about a stupid fuckin’ moron Richard to refer to the person above as if you know him.

I am surprised that they, she, whatever, would even bother to tell you, someone so entirely stupid as yourself, and put that person at risk of their job or worse. Unbelievable.

You never deserved that look inside the industry, from a person who has apparently observed it with some intelligence and thought.

Test your water.

73. #74 by Hensley Young on October 13, 2012 - 12:17 pm

The HCL acid is not part of the frac Richard, it is used to treat the surface of the rock and substrate before the actual high pressurized frac begins. HCL will remediate itself rather quickly reacting with about anything with a covalent bond, so it is not a real problem of permanent contamination.

74. #75 by Hensley Young on October 13, 2012 - 12:24 pm

The bulk of that acid is cycled back up the wellhead and stored before the high pressure frack part of he process begins.

The secrets of the companies that frack is not as much the chemicals used as the process, that is what has been patented and that is where the money is, knowing how to do it successfully, and having the equipment and knowledge to make a well successful at a very high percentage. The theory of fracking is easy a 8 yr old could lay it out for you, it is in the actual doing and the process where the secrets come in.

75. #76 by Jonesey on October 13, 2012 - 12:45 pm

I request an edit from the site admin, I am not “Glen” or whoever Richard thinks I am. Thanks Revolver for sticking up for me.

76. #77 by Richard Warnick on October 13, 2012 - 12:59 pm

You’ve convinced me. Fracking ought to be outlawed until the EPA can regulate it thoroughly.

77. #78 by cav on October 13, 2012 - 1:57 pm

“Hope this is edumuhcational…”

Why yes. Yes it was. Thanks fellahs

78. #79 by cav on October 13, 2012 - 2:08 pm

Regional tangent:

Koch bro’s, there are three, Charles, David and William.

William is the one building an old West town in CO, setting up a swap to close off a pass that runs adjacent to his property in exchange for some, granted, choice parcels in UT. He also owns the former US Steel coal mine, and tons of mineral and water rights in the Paonia watershed.

Remember the guy who stood down the tank in the July 4th parade in Paonia? That was Bill’s tank

79. #80 by Richard Warnick on October 13, 2012 - 2:54 pm

Who could forget the July 4th parade in Paonia? I know I never will. ;-)

80. #81 by brewski on October 13, 2012 - 4:36 pm

“until the EPA can regulate it thoroughly.”

Yes, regulations and regulators are always right:

81. #82 by Richard Warnick on October 13, 2012 - 4:47 pm

brewski–

Have you ever heard of the Precautionary Principle? Emphasis added:

The precautionary principle or precautionary approach states if an action or policy has a suspected risk of causing harm to the public or to the environment, in the absence of scientific consensus that the action or policy is harmful, the burden of proof that it is not harmful falls on those taking the action.

This is the principle that is being ignored by the fracking crowd.

82. #83 by cav on October 13, 2012 - 5:49 pm

Prior scheduling, weather caused shrinking windows of opportunity, deferred maintenance of transport devices (possibly due to the same), ever more limited resources, combined with assurances that ‘everything will be OK’, and an actual ownership position in the government by those being inspected, will make the lapses inevitable.

Such things will also make catastrophic spills inevitable as well. And, hell, a spill doesn’t have to be anywhere near as large as the ‘deep-water-horizon’ to be catastrophic.

But the Earth is resilient – until it’s not.

Just saying.

83. #84 by Jonesey on October 13, 2012 - 8:06 pm

It is not being ignored, they are more than well aware of how badly they can be criminally charged and civilly sued.

Go to a site, get a job, infiltrate. Find out. Simple.

If you wish to believe what you wish to believe then you will believe it with the pre conceived notions that infest your subconscious.

The Earth is resilient, it is we humans who actually are not. It doesn’t matter to the Earth, she’ll till it all under after we are long gone.

Stop the cult of the Earth survival, focus on the mechanics of Human survival. We care for the Earth, but it’s rock with life forms on it, and we are the dominant species.

Fracking is simply a variation on the drilling theme, from the get go it results in contamination Richard, you might as well say with all your bullshit to gather up the horses and hitch up the buckboard……

… like to see you drive that to Price twice a week.

The EPA IS regulating the industry, so until you walk or bike your life, you haven’t a leg to stand on.

84. #85 by Larry Bergan on October 13, 2012 - 9:18 pm

Revolver said:

But Revolver, Jonsey is a great journalist. He gets out there and works the fields, gets down in the dirt and rides a bike to his blogging job.

He’s an even a greater man then was Johnny Paycheck!

And…

THE MAN CAN TYPE! MY GOD, HE CAN TYPE!

Please! A moment of silence for whoever.

85. #86 by Larry Bergan on October 13, 2012 - 9:30 pm

And I thought Sybil was malarkey.

86. #87 by Larry Bergan on October 13, 2012 - 9:36 pm

Don’t get all defensive glenn/Hensley Young/Jonesy/Revolver.

DO get some help.

Not money…

Help.

87. #88 by cav on October 13, 2012 - 10:13 pm

I think that beyond being pretty damned informed, he’s crafts so ingeniously that I cannot help but smile and be thankful for the writer’s presence on our little backwater blog.

As an illustration…

I recall an episode perhaps two years ago, where he seemed to have chosen for his commenting the name of some codger, who, having got wind of this name theft, checked in here ‘himself’. A most scurrilous back-and-forth ensued, with any number of the commenters, sock-commenters and innocent bystanders slipping over the edge and into utter, chaotic bonkerville. It was, from a perspective of creative writing a most hilarious performance, especially so since it really included all of us – bolting as we do in support of this and that, scoffing and not really understanding AT ALL.

Again, I am in this fellahs debt and can only wish him the very best.

PS, And he’s been this good for years and years. MEGA LIKE

88. #89 by Larry Bergan on October 13, 2012 - 11:08 pm

cav:

I tend to agree with you, even though “anybody” used my name to comment here more then once. He’s a much better writer then I.

I think this is a great video:

89. #90 by Larry Bergan on October 13, 2012 - 11:22 pm

Plus!

I have never tried to censor “anybody” or anybody else on this wonderful blog.

90. #91 by Larry Bergan on October 14, 2012 - 12:00 am

Well, OK:

wonderful may have been gratuitous.

91. #92 by cav on October 14, 2012 - 12:23 am

Mabus: Biofuel tech has arrived

The most promising process, the Navy says, would catalytically convert carbon dioxide hydrogen gas directly to liquid hydrocarbon fuel used as JP-5, a process being developed and honed by the Naval Research Laboratory (NRL).

One of the more interesting alternative fuel concepts being pursued by the Navy is the Office of Naval Research’s program to hone the chemistry for producing jet fuel from renewable resources in theater.

92. #93 by Larry Bergan on October 14, 2012 - 12:31 am

cav:

Link doesn’t work.

93. #94 by cav on October 14, 2012 - 12:38 am

You sure? It worked for me. launched repeatedly.

??

94. #95 by Larry Bergan on October 14, 2012 - 12:42 am

Seems to be working now. Could’ve been a glitch in our culture.

You may have noticed that actual liberal media seems to stop and start. :(

95. #96 by cav on October 14, 2012 - 9:36 am

The consequences to environmental fuck-ups in service to the Empire ‘belong’, or at least trickle down to the worlds poor and powerless. Therefore, action against climate change won’t be coming from above, but from below because of the way Empire has structured the ‘fallout’ of environmental mis-stewardship.

Let me point to some very old, established law: Salus Populi Suprema Lex Esto, the health of the people is the supreme law – the maxim holding that those things hostile to the health of the people (the common good) are devoid of legitimacy.

Seems our Empire, no matter how Green they would have us believe they’re becoming, are still quite outside the law – and coincidentally a major cause of the problems Humanity is facing.

96. #97 by Revolver on October 14, 2012 - 9:58 am

The Romans were only concerned about the health of the “People” because the were economic commodities.

The vast majority of Romans were slaves.

Just how it was. Service guaranteed and conferred citizenship status, 20 years minimum was the hitch. Everyone else was hereditary aristocracy, or slaves.

97. #98 by Richard Warnick on October 14, 2012 - 12:34 pm

“Service guarantees citizenship.” That’s Robert Heinlein, from Starship Troopers.

98. #99 by Larry Bergan on October 14, 2012 - 1:19 pm

I loved Starship Troopers!

The cattle probably didn’t.

99. #100 by Revovler on October 14, 2012 - 3:04 pm

The world of Starship Troopers was certainly based on the Roman historical model.

Heinlein was a master.

“An armed society, is a polite society”

100. #101 by Richard Warnick on October 15, 2012 - 9:46 am

And I thought the government depicted in Starship Troopers was just garden-variety fascism.

101. #102 by Mike Taylor on October 15, 2012 - 12:06 pm

Always remember the Facie symbol, came from Rome, all fascism of state variety can trace it’s origins to the Roman method of rule.

“Service guarantees citizenship”

The hatchet, surrounded by wooden dowls, all wrapped with a leather strap. The Facie.

Never forget the Eagle, all the greatest Fascism’s have the eagle as a symbol….Rome, Nazi Germany, uh.,,,,you figure it out.

Ben Franklin wanted the socially oriented, hard working, Turkey as our national symbol, but our genius was ignored, and federalists driven by hamilton chose the Bald Buzzard as the symbol.

It is ironic that the bald buzzard was chosen as symbol for a Statist federal system, that at this point has evolved to fill the role of a Fascist nation, so we have the correct symbol to represent what we grew into. The Eagle, or as I like to call it A scavenging bald buzzard! I have observed the buzzards eating dead rotten shit, and stealing food from other creatures. When they can’t do that, it then that they go to work and hunt.

I guess the old idea is true, what you parade as , is what you will become..

102. #103 by Richard Warnick on October 15, 2012 - 12:22 pm

It was Mussolini’s grandiose version of totalitarianism that became known as Fascism. The symbol ought not to get a bad name because of it.

There is a pair of fasces behind the podium in the United States House of Representatives, representing “strength though unity” in the context of a republic.

103. #104 by Mike Taylor on October 15, 2012 - 12:36 pm

Yeah, there are Fasces all over in federal orifices, thanks, it always goes sour in the end and tyranny rules every nation who chooses these symbols as their own. That is just what the inscription of the Roman Fasces says as well..

The Hatchet was meant to represent the Legion, the Dowls, or wood, were to represent the People, the vast majority being slaves, and the Leather Strap was indicative of decree power that bound the whole slave state together.

In history Empires that have used these symbols tend to evolve towards militarism and towards reduced civil rights, if any at all for certain people.

Sidenote: Richard, I can write anything I want to on this site, it’s mine, the reason being is that despite cliff’s name being signed to it …its like obama said, and cliff loves him his African Prince,,,,,,

. …he didn’t build it. So fuck him.

104. #105 by Mike Taylor on October 15, 2012 - 12:44 pm

The Fasces was the one of the most HATED symbols in the ancient world, all of Rome’s enemies identified their tyranny with that symbol.

The fasces is bad news.

Like Franklin wanted, we should have had the Turkey.

105. #106 by Tainted ObamiNation on October 15, 2012 - 1:08 pm

The Fasces is a tainted symbol, it’s direction is nearly always in the bearing of reduced rights for the individual.

It cannot be clearly stated enough that the US now stands as the only western nation to have destroyed habeas corpus, the most fundmental human right governing behavior between a man and his government..established in 1066, it is the fundamental human right from which all other civil and human rights sprang in the West. Destroyed by obama..

Rome the Republic lasted about 235 years, Rome the fascist tyranny lasted about 270, needless to say 270 years is a long time for humanity to have limited rights.

We stand now with the Roman fascism, and Nazi Germany as the Empires fronted by the Eagle and Fasces to have destroyed fundamental human rights..

Symbols have real power, so choosing one to front your nation is very important, the Fasces, is a tainted symbol, and it’s very place in government offices is an abomination..

It is the symbol of a slave empire, not worthy of being seen anywhere is the Constitutional United States.

106. #107 by Richard Warnick on October 15, 2012 - 1:40 pm

Habeas corpus went down with the Military Commissions Act of 2006, signed by President George W. Bush. Then-Senator Obama voted against the bill. Of course, President Obama has done nothing to reverse the unconstitutional suspension of habeas corpus.

107. #108 by Tainted ObamiNation on October 15, 2012 - 2:48 pm

Wrong, that did not include American citizens, while I am concerned for all people’s I am more concerned about my fellow countrymen..

108. #109 by Richard Warnick on October 15, 2012 - 3:05 pm

It did include American citizens. A U.S. citizen may be declared an unlawful enemy combatant under section 948a of the MCA. This means you can be detained indefinitely without charges and without the right of habeas corpus. No need for a military commission “trial.”

109. #110 by Gauleiter Burgen on October 16, 2012 - 12:42 am

But that would require you to be a combatant, obama’s tack, violates habeas corpus for mere suspicion. If the ability to do this was in the Patriot Act, there would be no need to create in the last defense budget would there? As well this is going to happen on American soil.

110. #111 by Richard Warnick on October 16, 2012 - 9:12 am

The MCA does not specify any rules at all for designating someone an “unlawful enemy combatant,” which is defined as, “an individual engaged in hostilities against the United States who is not a lawful enemy combatant.” Because the Act does not say what constitutes “hostilities,” and does not exclude Americans, in effect it’s up to the sole discretion of the President to decide. That means under the MCA anyone at all can be imprisoned without charges, and with no access to a court of law.

Do not confuse the MCA with the USA PATRIOT Act. They are two separate pieces of godawful unconstitutional legislation. :-(

The Obama administration’s excuse for signing the NDAA was that it did not extend the President’s existing authority to detain Americans indefinitely without charges. In case there are some who still take our President at his word, in the signing statement Obama says he does not intend to exercise this power. Of course, if you can just kill U.S. citizens then why bother arresting them?

111. #112 by Gauleiter Burgen on October 16, 2012 - 10:55 am

.and if you promise not to use it, then why pass it all? It does not mention Americans in the MCA, but obviously any attempt to attach an American in the MCA manner in secret and commit torture or whatever would be about a hanging offense for a sitting civil officer under constitution at that time.

I suppose the IDWC of the NDAA was authorized to close up any loophole and give the appearance of legitimacy.

The MCA was a battlefield directive in response to the John Walker Lynn story and others like it.

The greater powers of IDWC of NDAA gives the president the right to persecute in ancient fashion, on our own soil, with mere suspicion. The prospect of say me saying your activities amount to terrorism, and then reporting it to authorities is enough now to have you then picked up in secret and disappeared. Straight Stalinism, and Stasi type precedent. In the hands of a psychopathic president, and this one has fired off 350 NAZI TERROR WEAPONS in the form of drones, which is a war crime, it is more than evident that this president is a psychopath, just like the last one, or being directed by psychopaths under duress.

Take the president at his word? Bwhahaaa! He is either a total liar already, or simply cannot honor what he said due to not being in any way in charge. He’s a puppet. CFR puppet.

We don’t disagre, but the IDWC is much more specific and clear than MCA and the Patriot Act, it is a blatant and in your face violation of the US Constitution, and all this country stood for.

It’s not standing anymore, more a kneeling wallow.

112. #113 by Gauleiter Burgen on October 16, 2012 - 11:02 am

Richard, the claim of obama’s word that he does not intend to use the IDWC of the NDAA is the clue that the man is owned, or under duress.

He is weak, very weak, as a human being, which is why I imagine that he with his color, speaking ability, and charisma for some, made him the perfect choice to be vehicle of fascism.

Waiting for Andy Jackson for better or worse over here if this is how it is to be, no matter what, things didn’t sit with that guy around. The founder of the Democrat party was a sonofabitch, but he was OUR sonofabitch!!

(will not be published)