Maine Gov tilting at windmills

It never ceases to amaze how the pro-”rape the planet” groups will throw any attack at all at the people working for solutions. No matter how insane. In this case, Maine Gov LePage uncovers the “truth” about renewable energy.

At the end of long rant against the wind power industry, filled with claims that the renewable resource doesn’t create jobs and leads to higher electricity rates, LePage took aim at one wind turbine in particular.

“Now, to add insult to injury, The University of Maine, Presque Isle – anybody here been up there to see that damn windmill in the back yard? Guess what, if it’s not blowing wind outside and they have somebody visiting the campus, they have a little electric motor that turns the blades. I’m serious. They have an electric motor so that they can show people wind power works. Unbelievable. And that’s the government that you have here in the state of Maine,” said LePage.

Notice that this is after a rant about higher electric rates and not creating jobs? That is so the pure unfiltered batshit crazy can distract you from the slightly crazy. But lets ignore that and really enjoy the raw crazy coming out of the tap…

LePage would like you to believe that it makes more sense that a University would use electricity to turn a wind turbine than to think they would use it for the traditional “making electricity from wind” scenario that we usually see. Why? Advertising!

His evidence? If it isn’t blowing outside… Has he been to see to turbine? Does he see how it stands above the surface?
Aerial shot of turbine.jpg
Does he know that it can be pretty common to have significant air movement just a few dozen feet above where he is standing while complaining about the lack of wind? That air speed increase as tower height goes up can often more than double the power generation if you double the height? Did he ask at what wind speed that tower starts generating?

Yeah, I doubt he did.

This was the first mid-sized turbine installed by a university in the state, has a 600 kilowatt capacity, and has produced 680,000 kwh worth of clean electricity in its first year. That’s $100,000 off the University of Maine at Preque Isle’s utility bill, and 572 tons of CO2 not burned into the atmosphere.

And that is after they subtract the electricity wasted powering the motor to turn it when the wind isn’t blowing!

It is bad enough that tasteless morons like Donald Trump spend time complaining about off shore wind farms that his failing eyesight wont even be able to see through his orange hair. But at least there is some sense in the complaint that you will have to see a wind farm. They are not yet (nor should they probably ever be) invisible. Intelligent people would weigh the cost of seeing them on the horizon against the benefit of having electricity that doesn’t destroy the planet. Not Donald, sure. But intelligent people would.

However making the claim that a wind turbine isn’t making power, and that it is a giant advertisement that they use power to turn to lie to people, that takes a special level of WTF.

However the university that runs the turbine, when not literally laughing out loud at LePage, will let you see the turbine data live.

Between the higher generation in the winter, and the open space around the turbine not dedicated to sports, I can’t help but wonder if they should ask MIT to come grow some new virus grown solar cells to mount around the thing. It would be nice to see the two compared for the same area.

1. #1 by Richard Warnick on April 19, 2013 - 10:51 am

Just to clarify, there is no motor.

2. #4 by Shane on April 19, 2013 - 1:39 pm

Wow, damning articles. One farm not planned well, and two grumpy people who find quiet conversation too loud.

I have to hand it to you, even when you manage to find the topic, you manage to miss the point! Incredible.

• #5 by brewski on April 19, 2013 - 11:04 pm

How many time have you personally stood up before a utility commission or a county commission asking for permission for build either a wind farm or solar farm? My guess is zero.

This is what I do for a living. 100% of the time that is all I do is build renewable energy projects. Every project I have ever built has been opposed by some group. Zero of those groups have been conservatives. 100% of those groups have been liberals. They kill projects. They drive up the costs. They make lawyers very rich fighting us. Liberals are the one who are opposing renewable energy projects. Oh, they are in favor of them. Just never in their back yards. They are all a bunch of self-entitled hypocrites. That is when they are not saying they want higher taxes all the while they buy a couple of llamas and call themselves farmers so they can lower their taxes. They make me sick and your ignorance makes me sick. Go get a real job someday and build something. Have you ever really worked? Have you ever hired anyone? Have you ever put your own capital at risk? Or do you just pontificate about big thoughts to adoring open-enrollment lightweights who get A’s without having to actually read their assignments? Thought so.

• #6 by Larry Bergan on April 19, 2013 - 11:42 pm

brewski (noname) actually said:

How many time have you personally stood up before a utility commission or a county commission asking for permission FOR build either a wind farm or solar farm? My guess is zero.

This is what I do for a living.

I’m guessing you would replace “for” with “to” in your statement, but we all make typing errors.

Not all of us have the time to work for solar panels or wind farms, because most liberals have to spend our time fighting trolls on the internet without names who are working for the man.

Fighting the corporate media is a dead end.

Try it sometime.

• #7 by Shane Smith on April 19, 2013 - 11:53 pm

Until you put a name on your cowardly posts you don’t do a damn thing for a living. You build renewable energy projects? Put up or shutout you lying little prick.

Have I had a job? No. Never a real job. Building construction and kindergarten and network wiring and climbing through duct work and sales and restocking shelves and working the meat line and special ed with autistic kids, all easy and not real and not building anything. Nothing at all.

And yeah, making art and history and philosophy interesting to spoiled kids attending on their parents dime who have the same opinion about education as you do is a cake walk. Especially when you do it hoping they will have a least a basic grasp on critical thinking so they don’t grow up to have reading skills like an Internet troll.

You like to bitch about everyone’s ignorance, but you don’t know a damn thing about what anyone here has done, or who they are. So when you have taught downs syndrome kids to read for a year or two and spent a few summers hauling rock, come back and play “measure how hard I have worked” with me again you little anonymous coward.

Until then, STFU.

And be nice to open enrollment kids. That is the only chance you will ever have at an education.

• #8 by brewski on April 20, 2013 - 2:19 pm

I am honestly unable to tell the difference between my own pathetic and constant derailing of discussion and cav’s tangental humor, so I am going to lash out at people over my own ignorance while at the very same time attempting to derail the discussion!

• #9 by cav on April 20, 2013 - 2:36 pm

I like brewski’s name because it reminds me of beer.

• #10 by brewski on April 21, 2013 - 8:16 pm

My name has nothing to do with beer.

3. #11 by Larry Bergan on April 19, 2013 - 5:55 pm

At least LePage can get a job in journalism if he fails to get reelected, by pulling stuff out of you-know-where.

I simply can’t believe that modern windmills are that noisy or make birds extinct and besides, they don’t generate radioactive waste. That has to be an advantage.

• #12 by Richard Warnick on April 20, 2013 - 4:20 pm

Wind spills are considerably less toxic than dilbit.

• #13 by Larry Bergan on April 20, 2013 - 8:50 pm

I was in one of those once.

Tore my hat right off!