Tim DeChristopher Released From Prison Today,Earth Day!

On December 19, 2008, in a courageous act of civil disobedience, Tim DeChristopher protested an oil and gas lease auction of 116 parcels of public land in Utah’s red rock country, conducted by the Bureau of Land Management. DeChristopher decided to participate in the auction, signing a bidder registration Form and placing bids to obtain 14 parcels of land (totaling 22,500 acres) for $1.8 million. DeChristopher was removed from the auction by federal agents, taken into custody, and questioned.

The auction was later declared illegal by incoming Obama Interior Secretary, Ken Salazar.

Nonetheless, DeChristopher was aggressively persecuted by George W. Bush-appointed federal prosecutors a judge who’s tenure included Chief of Staff for Senator Orrin Hatch. DeChristopher courageously refused all plea offers to avoid jail time. On July 26, 2011, Judge Dee Benson sentenced DeChristopher to two years in prison;

Peaceful Uprising is organizing a screening of Bidder70 in Salt Lake City: the first that Tim will be able to attend since the movie premiered last year! In conjunction with this event, the filmmakers (Beth & George Gage) have partnered with a film distributor, Gathr Films, to organize countrywide simultaneous theatrical screenings.

All are invitedto BE THERE for Tim’s first PUBLIC APPEARANCE since his incarceration on July 26, 2011.  Check out the Map of Bidder 70 Screenings to find one near you.

An hour-long post-screening discussion and Q&A with Tim will be streamed so that everyone, no matter where they are watching, will be able to participate: by watching and/or sending questions via Twitter. It wouldn’t be a true PeaceUp celebration without song, which is why we’ve invited our dear friend Bryan Cahall (whose song Arise you will recognize in the movie) to join in a jam session as well.

Here’s what you can do:

1. Sign up to host your own local screening of Bidder 70: http://www.bidder70film.com/#!screenings/cjg9

2. Join PeaceUp in helping Gathr spread the word, by inviting your friends to their Facebook event, sharing it via the Twitter webs and updating your Facebook status:https://www.facebook.com/events/332873686833860

3. Contribute to Bidder70?s IndieGoGo Distribution campaign (http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/324476/) , and then encourage others to do the same — to make this celebratory wave a reality!

4. Come to Salt Lake City. Details about our SLC Screening can be found by clicking HERE.

1. #1 by cav on April 21, 2013 - 1:46 pm

Innumerable cheers Tim.

2. #2 by Larry Bergan on April 21, 2013 - 7:42 pm

Released for Earth Day.

How cool is that?!

3. #3 by cav on April 21, 2013 - 7:57 pm

Ok Tim. Vacation’s over. Time to shop!

4. #4 by Larry Bergan on April 21, 2013 - 8:39 pm

No more sit’n on your behind watch’n TV.

5. #5 by cav on April 22, 2013 - 9:24 am

Joking aside, I consider Tim to be a real hero. Believe Judge Dee Benson screwed him royally, and wish him the very best.

6. #6 by Richard Warnick on April 22, 2013 - 6:23 pm

Kevin Gosztola on FDL:

DeChristopher had only intended to disrupt the auction by giving a speech, but when he was asked if he would like to be a bidder, he said, “yes,” because he saw an opportunity.

The action he took brought attention to the corruption of the land auction, however, the administration of President Barack Obama still had him indicted on felony charges.

DeChristopher had not planned to buy the land, but, weeks after, he raised enough money where he could purchase the land. He shares, “The Bureau of Land Management just decided not to accept my payment when I offered it to them a couple weeks after the auction. They said that I wasn’t a normal bidder, so they simply didn’t accept it.” During his trial, he was not allowed to tell this to the jury.

7. #7 by cav on April 22, 2013 - 9:27 pm

8. #8 by Cliff Lyon on April 22, 2013 - 10:18 pm

It should be noted that Brewski has broken his now predictable pattern of dismissing anything that vaguely represents progressive values.

Perhaps he knows better than to open himself to reminders of his shallow thoughts and general cowardice.

Nonetheless, I’ll take this opportunity to remind him; the current condition of his spine (jelly) and right-wing disposition (dick meets hick), precludes him from commenting with any credibility on Tim’s heroic act.

9. #9 by brewski on April 23, 2013 - 1:19 pm

“his now predictable pattern of dismissing anything that vaguely represents progressive values.”

You mean totally ignoring that I have stated several times that I favor a single payer health system, marriage equality, legalization of marijuana, gun control, green energy (my full time profession), environmentalism, etc.?

Thank you for again advertising your general stupidity and pettiness.

It is entertaining that you complain when I don’t post since you complain when I do post. Then when I do post you edit what I have said, throw me into the Freedom Bucket or just generally spew bile, venom and sexually graphic insults at me. So which is it short man? Do you want me to post or not?

There are many posts on which I don’t comment. What would you like me to say about Tim DeChristopher? I would need to do more reading.

10. #10 by Larry Bergan on April 23, 2013 - 5:45 pm

Cliff:

Thanks for the heads up. I had no idea DeChristopher was being released until I read the article and was able to get a ticket.

It was a fantastic evening and I was reveling in the fact that I was participating in the best Earth Day celebration in the country last night at the Tower Theater.

The questions Tim answered were all good ones, but the last one was really special as a man recounted how he and his family had a wonderful morning in the wilderness before being told that if it hadn’t been for DeChristopher’s momentous victory, his family would have been camping in a pool of oil.

My only criticism of the movie was that it didn’t show more of Peter Yarrow’s participation.

11. #11 by Larry Bergan on April 23, 2013 - 5:50 pm

And the Tower Theater had plenty of leg room for me, which is saying a lot. I wasn’t the least bit uncomfortable through the entire three hours in my chair!

12. #12 by brewski on April 23, 2013 - 6:09 pm

Larry, if Salazar declared the auctions were illegal, then how would anyone be camping in a pool of oil?

13. #13 by cav on April 23, 2013 - 6:19 pm

It’s the ‘what’s done is done’ phenomenon.

brewski. I, for one, have derived a great deal from your commentary.- which is not to say that you, as our star progressive, oddly seem to take every opportunity to harsh the generic left. And for what reason?

• #14 by brewski on April 23, 2013 - 11:24 pm

I am stickler for rhetorical consistency.

14. #15 by Larry Bergan on April 23, 2013 - 6:45 pm

This is a post about an American student taking action on something because he knew what was happening was wrong and he never ONCE apologized, even in the face of harsh difficulties for himself. He didn’t do it for himself. He did it for all future generations.

I’m not interested in arguing right now. Tim’s action was the only way our ailing society ever knew squat about what the oil guys were doing that day.

15. #16 by Larry Bergan on April 23, 2013 - 9:05 pm

Interesting, recent, “Rolling Stone” article with Mr. DeChristopher.

16. #17 by Larry Bergan on April 23, 2013 - 9:17 pm

Did anybody else go to the show besides me here?

The place was sold out and people stood in back of me for the entire show.

Anything to say?

• #18 by Richard Warnick on April 25, 2013 - 11:51 am

I can say I’m really sorry I couldn’t be there. Whenever I’ve heard Tim speak I’ve been rewarded with fresh ideas. I hope the movie will be shown again when I can see it.

• #19 by Larry Bergan on April 25, 2013 - 9:21 pm

The Tower Theater said they are going to be playing it again sometime in may. Well worth seeing, and like I said, the seats are very comfortable.

• #20 by Larry Bergan on April 30, 2013 - 6:24 pm

Ken Sanders book store is now selling the DVD of “Bidder 70″ for $25.

17. #21 by Larry Bergan on April 23, 2013 - 11:54 pm

From #14:

brew-who/brewski seems to be “a stickler for rhetorical consistency”

18. #22 by Larry Bergan on April 24, 2013 - 12:17 am

“rhetorical consistency”?

Heavy Man!

Far out!

19. #23 by cav on April 24, 2013 - 9:05 am

Is this the Colbert Report?

20. #24 by brewski on May 16, 2013 - 7:02 am

21. #25 by cav on May 16, 2013 - 11:19 am

Will someone get Jesus a hankie? Stat.

22. #26 by Larry Bergan on May 16, 2013 - 4:27 pm

DeChristopher is with the Unitarian Church, not the 700 club. The Unitarians actually help their society.

23. #27 by brewski on May 16, 2013 - 8:26 pm

He is going to Harvard Divinity School, whose first goal to quote their website is:

“Goals
    To offer significant scholarly expertise in the Christian and other religious traditions;”

Christian, you know, as in Christ, that fictional boogeyman that everyone on OneUtah mocks.

24. #28 by Larry Bergan on May 16, 2013 - 9:05 pm

Nobody who posts on OneUtah has EVER attacked Jesus’s alleged teachings.

25. #29 by brewski on May 16, 2013 - 10:51 pm

Shane did.

26. #30 by Shane on May 17, 2013 - 7:08 pm

Care to be more specific lying sack of shit?

27. #31 by brewski on May 18, 2013 - 12:32 pm

28. #32 by obama's jack booted truncheon wielding goons on May 18, 2013 - 12:48 pm

Asswipes and heroes have, are, strange bedfellows.

29. #33 by Larry Bergan on May 18, 2013 - 7:55 pm

I’m proud to be a part of asswipe central!

Anyplace that lets me spew is constitutional AND my friend!

30. #34 by brewski on May 18, 2013 - 8:17 pm

Asswipes censor others’ posts.