Palling Around With…

McCain and friends

While engaged in making his own mavericky foreign policy over in Syria, Senator John McCain met with some Syrian rebels allied with al-Qaeda– including Mohammad Nour, an infamous terrorist who has been involved in the abduction of a group of Lebanese pilgrims. Nour is the man in the center of the photo above.

Does anyone else remember what Senator McCain’s running mate Sarah Palin said during the 2008 presidential election? She accused Barack Obama of “palling around with terrorists.” I think the irony meter has been pegged.

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on May 30, 2013 - 7:31 pm

I missed this story. Just what is McCain doing here?

2. #2 by Bob S. on May 31, 2013 - 11:49 am

Aren’t these the same people that President Obama is providing medical, communication, food and other equipment ?

So McCain (a RINO if there was ever one) is wrong for meeting with them and Obama is right for providing aid?

3. #3 by Richard Warnick on May 31, 2013 - 12:03 pm

Current U.S. policy is non-lethal aid only for Syrian rebels. In truth, we don’t have a dog in this fight. However, our diplomats are currently trying to organize some kind of peace agreement in Geneva.

McCain wants a no-fly zone (i.e. an air war with Syria) and he wants the U.S. to arm the rebels (people Republicans normally refer to as “terrorists”). Who knows what he told the guys he met with in Syria, but his visit seems to be at odds with the administration’s efforts in Geneva.

I supported McCain for President in 2000, but since then he has switched positions on every issue, including climate change. Yet some people still call him a “RINO.”

4. #4 by cav on May 31, 2013 - 1:55 pm

I still call him ‘Gramps”. But, in my heart…’Mr. President’! The only real one we’ve got!

FWIW

5. #5 by Larry Bergan on June 1, 2013 - 3:43 am

I think cav’s got it pegged.

McCain is trying to get out ahead of Obama here. I’ve heard that the Viet Nam war was ended during meetings with our supposed enemies.

This song should have been called “Successful Conversation”:

Young people are always so damned idealistic!

6. #6 by Larry Bergan on June 1, 2013 - 7:44 am

Cav:

I hope I didn’t put words in your mouth. There’s nothing that makes me more angry then when politicians say Americans are for this-or-that when I’m sure we aren’t.

7. #7 by cav on June 1, 2013 - 8:53 am

Then, by definition, you’re probably…and, here i need to be very delicate,..some kinda Uh-merika hating, hippy pinko, retard.
    :-)

I think you’re giving gramps too much credit. He’s looking for justification to really turn that region in to the fabled ‘glass parking lot’ they’ve been dreaming about for decades.

8. #8 by Larry Bergan on June 1, 2013 - 9:41 am

As if, somehow, we survive, if the rest-of-world, (ROW), becomes glass.

I’m not buying.

9. #9 by cav on June 1, 2013 - 9:56 am

Oh, but you are. The product delivery, what Syria will be the recipient of, won’t be something you’ll really want your name or energies attached to.

But it’s part of the ‘endless war’ for ‘democracy’ they’re all so crazy about. And so Constitutional. Bless em.

10. #10 by Larry Bergan on June 1, 2013 - 10:39 am

cav:

You’re a very dark person today, but I think you’re perspective is illuminating.

It’s like Kennedy said, (heavily paraphrasing)…

If liberals do good things; I’m a liberal.

Shot through the head by a lone-gun-man,,,

MY ASS.

11. #11 by cav on June 1, 2013 - 10:45 am

Too much Taibbi I suppose.

12. #13 by cav on June 1, 2013 - 10:47 am

13. #14 by Larry Bergan on June 1, 2013 - 10:56 am

I think mass-transportation, food, condoms and nightly rock concerts are key to our survival.

Why not!

I’m being serious! Challenge me!