The Mind Your Own Business Act

I love the fact that Alan Grayson was able to get back into congress along with Elizabeth Warren. NOW when I get the old, “they’re all the same” refrain, I can say, “well not exactly”.

Alan names his amendment to H.R. 1960 the, “The Mind Your Own Business Act”. When was the last time you heard somebody in congress come up with a plan that didn’t have an Orwellian name? Republicans are always so proud of people on their side who just come right out and say what they think. It’s usually crazy as hell, but they say it anyway. Alan shoots from the hip too, but it sparks something in your brain that says: this really makes sense. Also, for years, Republicans were prohibited from disagreeing with anything a Republican in the hierarchy said. Grayson can say he disagrees with Obama’s stance, because he’s a Democrat. That’s my hope.

MSNBC is supposed to be “the liberal channel”, so why is the host of this segment trying to “get something” on Grayson for insinuating the Nazi’s would have loved to have a “Total Information Awareness” type of system that is going in to full gear, very soon. Grayson answers a question with a question, but it’s a good one, which the host, basically, answers by saying, ‘I’m the one asking the questions here’.

The question Grayson asks is,

How do you feel about the fact that the Government is keeping a record of every single phone call that you make?

I’m totally perplexed at the media coverage Edward Snowden is getting at this late date. He’s not the only whistle-blower on this matter. We have known for many years the government had planned to collect, and has been collecting as much information about every one of us as they could. Now that they are close to having the ability to get EVERYTHING, we get polls that tell us Americans WANT to have all their private information collected to…

AND I’M REALLY GETTING TIRED OF HEARING THIS…

Keep us safe.

If the government is serious about keeping me safe, they’d stop spending so much money on secret surveillance, prisons and war. What I really need to keep me “safe” is single payer healthcare and “food security”.

I think Grayson’s best quote in the video is this:

Martin, you are completely missing the point. The point is that we’re taking measures that are not correlated in any sense with our safety, and even if they were it would be beneath our dignity as human beings. That’s what this is all about. All right, listen. You could always make people safer by taking extreme measures. If, for instance, we lowered the speed limit to 10 miles per hour, people would be safer. If we outlawed knives and forks, people would be safer. If we made everybody fly on the airlines naked, people would be safer. None of those things corresponds to my sense of human dignity, and I think I’m not the only one who feels that way….

If you’d like to support congressman Grayson’s amendment, you can sign up here.

1. #1 by Richard Warnick on June 27, 2013 - 10:42 pm

I’ve pointed out that for many, many years now, more Americans have died from dog bites than terrorism.

It’ also fair to say that many more people have been on the receiving end of American terrorism than we lost in the 9/11 attacks.

Maybe cav has something clever to say.

2. #2 by Richard Warnick on June 28, 2013 - 8:42 am

Glenn Greenwald asked the question: “If U.S. mass media were state-controlled, would they look any different?” The answer is: not much.

MSNBC’s Chris Hayes the other night did point out the contradiction as CNN’s Barbara Starr has also revealed leaked classified info about NSA just as Snowden and Greenwald did – but nobody is calling her a “traitor.”

Government Officials Use The Media To Anonymously Make Case Against Edward Snowden

• #3 by Larry Bergan on June 28, 2013 - 8:29 pm

The Huffpost video makes a great point: It’s not as if the terrorists/freedom-fighters :) don’t realize their phones and E-mails are being tapped.

Is some guy who lands a job at the massive new data gathering plant in Bluffdale going to be able to find a flagged word in a terrorist encrypted message?

If Americans are good at one thing these days, It’s wasting tons of money out of fear. This is unsustainable.

3. #4 by Richard Warnick on June 28, 2013 - 8:51 am

To her credit, Rep. Pelosi did mention her oath to preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States. So at least she acknowledges that Congress has acted unconstitutionally.

4. #5 by brewski on June 28, 2013 - 1:21 pm

What’s up with the Authoritarian censors today?

• #6 by cav on June 28, 2013 - 2:03 pm

You’re soooo independent. Yer uniform at the tailor’s?

• #7 by Larry Bergan on June 28, 2013 - 11:16 pm

I really hate to say this, but is brewski going to the laundry-mat to pick up a brown shirt?

• #8 by cav on June 28, 2013 - 2:40 pm

I thought we were an paradisaical autonomous collective?

• #9 by Larry Bergan on June 28, 2013 - 8:03 pm

brewski:

It’s been very hard hard for me to access the blog also. Stop being so paranoid.

• #10 by brewski on June 28, 2013 - 9:21 pm

Have your posts been deleted like mine?

• #11 by Larry Bergan on June 28, 2013 - 9:35 pm

I haven’t deleted any of your comments on this post, but I considered deleting comments using multiple names.

The only comments I have EVER modified with a warning are comments using the name of another commenter on this blog. I may have deleted one of those.

I understand that other posters with real names have deleted some of your comments here. I have no control over that, but I have to admit that I believe they have the right to control the content of their own posts when they believe there is too much noise there.

• #12 by brewski on June 28, 2013 - 10:43 pm

Someone deleted one today. Apparently the Authoritarian Lefties are trying to compensate for their other (ahem) shortcomings.

• #13 by Larry Bergan on June 28, 2013 - 11:05 pm

On what post?

brewski:

You are a mainstay here because we can’t figure you out. If you want to use your real name, you can probably post here, as opposed to just commenting.

I think there may be a problem if you’re not from Utah, but rules have been bent.

5. #14 by cav on June 28, 2013 - 3:19 pm

In the current environment – with unparalleled surveillance over reach by a security state that has embraced a sickening paranoia of its own citizens, it is inevitable we will be giving them increasing reason to feed their paranoia and accelerate their efforts to find out what the fuck we are up to. These reasons will be things like, voting, getting involved in community, advocating for specific policies..you know…the usual things that terrorists get involved in.

6. #15 by Larry Bergan on June 28, 2013 - 8:00 pm

The Grayson video only has 261 views and I’m fairly certain that I’m the only one who pushed the like button.

Am I the only guy who realizes how important this congressman is? I’ve been waiting for years for somebody like him and Elizabeth Warren on the Democratic side.

Also his sense of humor is on par with Al Franken. I get his E-mails and they are a hoot.

7. #16 by Larry Bergan on June 28, 2013 - 8:37 pm

Why isn’t Wired magazine being chased around the world for publishing this article about the VERY LOCAL facility that none of our local media will touch on to any extent?

Forget Glenn Greenwald and Snowden!

8. #17 by Larry Bergan on June 28, 2013 - 10:45 pm

This writer describes things better then I could ever hope to. Read his take!

Do you think Robert C. Koehler is making big bucks? Not a chance. I don’t think he cares.

• #19 by Larry Bergan on June 29, 2013 - 4:06 pm

Gee, thanks cav. I really needed to see a large picture of Lieberman on my screen today.

The guy is a menace. Why can’t he just go away.

• #20 by cav on June 29, 2013 - 4:34 pm

The Democrat equivalent of Darth Cheney.

• #21 by Larry Bergan on June 29, 2013 - 6:09 pm

It seems as though these sickening personages are always going to be on my “liberal” television screen, even after they supposedly leave office.

On the other hand, the only politician who actually read and voted against “The Patriot Act” is everywhere; all the time. :)

9. #22 by cav on June 29, 2013 - 2:57 pm

BERLIN (Reuters) – The United States bugged European Union offices and gained access to EU internal computer networks, according to secret documents cited in a German magazine on Saturday, the latest in a series of exposures of alleged U.S. spy programs.

So, all these people are terrorists?

10. #23 by cav on June 29, 2013 - 10:39 pm

• #24 by Larry Bergan on June 30, 2013 - 11:15 am

Go to Wall Street, young man.

Damn me to hell if I’m wrong, but is this guy a fake Bradley Manning. The press coverage makes me suspicious.

Sorry.

11. #25 by Larry Bergan on June 30, 2013 - 12:23 pm

When Grayson quips that lowering the speed limit to ten miles an hour would be helpful to our safety, I actually have a real world experience in that.

I live in a condominium where they put up signs saying we could not drive over ten miles an hour.

One day when I was leaving the complex, I was following somebody who was driving at that speed. I was NOT riding his/her ass, but I was amazed at the fact that he/she almost drove into the curb. I will never know if he/she fell asleep or not, because I didn’t get a chance to question them.

The signs have been taken down.

My challenge to you:

Try driving at ten miles an hour and see how long it lasts.

12. #26 by cav on June 30, 2013 - 1:18 pm

fake Bradley Manning’? never thought of it, but you may be onto something Larry.

13. #27 by Larry Bergan on June 30, 2013 - 2:56 pm

All I know is what they tell me

14. #28 by Larry Bergan on June 30, 2013 - 2:58 pm

Lost the period

15. #29 by Larry Bergan on June 30, 2013 - 3:44 pm

I was little cryptic there.

Always open to questions.

16. #30 by cav on June 30, 2013 - 6:53 pm

I understand it to be of the ‘Nothing to see here…Oh, look over there, Putin is involved in some sort of shark attack’, diversion. Meanwhile Manning’s corpus is being thoroughly habeased.

Which is not to say we cannot habeas numerous copruses all at the same time or in series.

17. #31 by Larry Bergan on June 30, 2013 - 11:45 pm

Also:

Seems as though ALEC has been lost in the media malaise of the Zimmerman trial.

The link seemed sort of important to me since pulling the trigger on the nigger might have been less of an option there.

[offensive word added for impact]

18. #32 by Larry Bergan on July 3, 2013 - 5:40 pm

I think Snowden is probably on the level, but we’ve been fooled before.

I KNOW Bradley Manning is the real thing and he certainly has a lot of great friends:

(will not be published)