Empathetic Capitalism?

Oxymoron?

Maybe not. This story from NPR proves there are still people around who are out to make a living, but not a killing. I’m guessing he’s at least as happy as any billionaire out there, because he’s helping people hear and see. “Empathetic capitalism” is what he calls his mission and it’s about time somebody stood up for a concept like that.

Before I direct you to the short NPR piece from last week, take a look at some content. Mr. Green helped create organizations that do things like this:

Aravind does more than 300,000 cataract surgeries a year. And through Aurolab, Green helped drive down the price of the lenses from several hundred dollars apiece to $2 now. Aurolab’s lenses have helped millions of people regain their sight.

Wow!

Green says:

“My competitive juices get flowing when I start to think about a big, $4 billion medical device company and how I’m going to beat them,” Green says. “How do we make sight and hearing or even life itself affordable to poor people?”

And finally:

So what’s Green’s payoff? As a more traditional entrepreneur in the medical sphere he could be making millions. He says he’s happy making between $100,000 and $200,000 a year. He says most of his rewards can’t be put in a bank account.

“When I think of Aurolab, I think they have helped something like 18 million people see to date,” he says. “And so that’s what I have. And of course that’s something I really can’t put in my pocket, but maybe from a karmic point of view, that’s money in the bank. I don’t know. I hope so.”

Obama should look this guy up. He and people like him could make Obamacare work in a BIG way! People like Bill Frist can just eat their hearts out.

Here’s the link to the audio and transcript.

By the way, Mr. Green; please watch your back.

1. #1 by Richard Warnick on July 9, 2013 - 12:41 pm

RJ Eskow asks, Where the Hell Is the Outrage? He answers the question by describing…

…today’s seemingly paradoxical political situation, in which the beleaguered majority accepts the injustices heaped upon them while coddled and ultra-wealthy Americans erupt in fury.

Part of the problem is the heavy media promotion of the tea partyers, while they did their best to ignore and ridicule the 99 percent movement. And Media Matters points out the failure of cable TV news to report on the economic issues hammering the American middle class.

2. #2 by Larry Bergan on July 9, 2013 - 4:40 pm

Thanks Richard, that’s a great article by RJ Escow.

I like this sentence:

And yet, bizarrely, the only Americans who seem to be seething with anger are the beneficiaries of this economic injustice — the wealthiest and most privileged among us. But those who are suffering seem strangely passive.

This focus by Big Media on the super-wealthy and their rage has been going on for decades, and the anger comes from things like death – actually inheritance – taxes, capital gains, frivolous lawsuits, liberal arts, job benefits, minimum wages, public education, ect…

In other words; why, oh why, can’t I make more money then I need?

I love the story I posted here and I think similar actions by people who enjoy life to it’s fullest WITHOUT gouging everybody else can really help America out of it’s malaise. You can bet anybody who wasn’t listening on NPR that morning will NEVER hear about it.

3. #3 by Larry Bergan on July 9, 2013 - 4:50 pm

Also, from the article linked to by Richard:

It’s not that things aren’t changing. It’s that people don’t know they’re changing. And without that knowledge the public becomes a canary in a coalmine, only aware of its declining oxygen supply when it keels over and dies.

Yeah, canaries or boiling frogs, slowly heated up over a 40 year period without any notification from the media most of the boiling frogs can afford.

I haven’t seen it yet, but I’m sure the “Bill Moyers and Company” episode linked to at the bottom of RJ’s article is a must see. How do I know that? Because they all are!

4. #4 by brewski on July 9, 2013 - 8:16 pm

“Now I don’t mind choppin’ wood, and I don’t care if the money’s no good
    Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest
    But they should never have taken the very best”

5. #5 by Larry Bergan on July 9, 2013 - 8:49 pm

brewski:

That phrase hit me like Déjà vu. I’m getting old and had to look it up. My favorite version is by Joan Baez of course. Did you like her version of Joe Hill?

6. #6 by cav on July 10, 2013 - 12:46 pm

Dear Mr. Eskow . . . the outrage has been eliminated by the judicious application of free-speech zones, gerrymandering, various police actions, media-driven public ridicule of people seeking – dig this – the truth . . . et cetera, et cetera . . . so, please . . .

7. #7 by brewski on July 12, 2013 - 7:18 am

Joan Baez doesn’t compare to The Band.

8. #8 by Larry Bergan on July 12, 2013 - 7:22 am

Joan Baez should have been IN The Band.

9. #9 by brewski on July 12, 2013 - 8:06 am

Hard to imagine Joan Baez sounding like a convincing reb.

10. #10 by cav on July 12, 2013 - 8:25 am

brewski;s imagination. We’ve finally gotten around to the source of his unerring correctness.

I feel such relief : )

11. #11 by Larry Bergan on July 12, 2013 - 8:48 am

brewski and The Band = one and the same. :)

• #12 by brewski on July 12, 2013 - 5:19 pm

I take that as a compliment. I don’t understand how you mean it.

• #13 by Larry Bergan on July 12, 2013 - 6:00 pm

Never thought of The Band as being too punky, but I liked them.

Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Eric Clapton, Van Morrison, Ringo Starr, Ron Wood, Emmylou Harris, Muddy Waters, Dr. John, Paul Butterfield, Neil Diamond and others who played with them had as much admiration as I did.

I was being sarcastic brewski. I thought you hatred liberals.

12. #14 by brewski on July 12, 2013 - 7:33 pm

I like good music. Often is played by liberals.

13. #15 by Larry Bergan on July 12, 2013 - 8:16 pm

On that, we can agree!

I still don’t believe Alice Cooper is a winger. He just loves playing with peoples minds. :)

14. #16 by brewski on July 12, 2013 - 9:05 pm

The Clash is super left wing. You’ll like this one:

15. #17 by Larry Bergan on July 13, 2013 - 5:31 pm

One thing I like about being a liberal in the USA, is that we don’t mind when people criticize us if it’s a legitimate criticism. The Guess Who’s “American Woman” is totally anti-American but it was a huge hit here.