Harvey Fierstein Has the Last Word on Orson Scott Card and His Homophobia

With Ender’s Game coming to a movie theatre near you, there’s been controversy about author Orson Scott Card’s homophobia in the past.  Card issued a pathetic plea for “tolerance” of his views.

Harvey Fierstein’s response may be the last word:

I think that you can have any opinion you want, but at least be willing to take the consequences of your opinion. It’s like, “Well, I hope that people will be more understanding,” or what did he say? “More tolerant of my views.” The quotes that got me about him weren’t against gay marriage — he wanted homosexuality criminalized in the United States. That’s what he called for. You want me to be tolerant of you wanting to criminalize homosexuality? Fuck you on your grave, you piece of shit.

1. #1 by Shane on July 27, 2013 - 1:48 pm

Bettertreatment than he deserves.

2. #2 by cav on July 27, 2013 - 2:03 pm

Shane!

3. #3 by Richard Warnick on July 27, 2013 - 6:05 pm

I’ll probably go see “Ender’s Game” but if I recall the story relies heavily on one plot twist, similar to “The Last Starfighter” (1984).

4. #4 by Kevin Phyland on September 25, 2013 - 8:30 pm

Regardless of Card’s vastly 1950s viewpoint on homosexuality I would like to point out that the original story “Ender’s Game” appeared in Analog in 1977 and predated The Last Starfighter by 7 years. If anybody could be accused of plagiarism it is the film writers.

• #5 by Richard Warnick on September 26, 2013 - 9:51 am

I read “Ender’s Game” in the 1970s. The comparison with “The Last Starfighter” wasn’t meant to imply one was a copy of the other.

5. #7 by Larry Bergan on November 6, 2013 - 9:45 pm

Wow! Harvey Fierstein was pretty blunt there.

Bluntness where bluntness is required.

I’ll stick with Arthur C. Clarke.