I Think These Are Important Films

Originally, I was thumbing through HULU to see if there was anything I could watch for free that would interest me, and I found a very good film by Robert Greenwald about the Koch Brothers. I’ve seen many of his films, and am so glad that somebody is working so hard, trying to find a way to inform us without making billions destroying our dignity here and around the world. The film tried to be – you know – “fair and balanced”, and they made many attempts to allow the Koch bro’s to criticize the content so they could add it to the end of the film. Apparently the Koch’s didn’t see this film as a threat.

Koch Brothers Exposed:

The Koch bro’s DID see a threat, when a film called, “Citizen Koch” was broadcast on a public television station and decided they had better attach themselves onto the end, before having the film erased from any other showings across the nation. They can do that, because they donate to public television. You can see David Koch’s name in the credits to the “Nova” science series, although – as Greenwalds film reveals -, the Koch’s don’t give a flying shit about your education or democracy. Their push to destroy both are WAY beyond the scope of this post.

After watching the HULU presentation of Greenwald’s film, another documentary automatically started which is called, “Crawford (2008). What a great film! This one is truly, “fair and balanced”, and I’m positive none of the people in Crawford, Texas made a dime, by giving their opinions on camera. These are just plain folk, who were speaking their minds. It covers what happened to this town, when George W. Bush decided to move in, just before his run for president in 2000. If you thought the entire movie was going to be about Cindy Sheehan – whom I admire greatly -, you’d be wrong. She is only featured in a fraction of the document. To me, the star of the movie is a young high school student in Crawford, who completely gets what’s happening around him and articulates it perfectly. You’ll find out what happens to him towards the end.

Crawford (2008):

I have to add one comment about Robert Greenwald. I went to a screening of a political film in Salt Lake many years ago which featured a discussion afterwards. After the discussion, a young man handed me copy of what might have been Greenwald’s first documentary. I think it was called, ‘The Truth About The War In Iraq’. It was dead-on, and proven to be accurate, even though it was published years before some of the media – sort of – dipped it’s toes into the truth. But the thing that amazed me was that this 30-something man also handed me a letter that was sent to him by Greenwald’s organization. The young man had bought about 13 of the DVD’s so he could give them out, but got a letter from “Brave New Films”, telling him he could just copy them at will and give them out. Sure enough, the DVD didn’t have any copy protection. :)

Some are in it for the money, and others aren’t. Who do you support!

1. #1 by brewski on August 9, 2013 - 9:05 pm

Larry,
    Thanks for the laugh. I enjoyed it.

2. #2 by Larry Bergan on August 9, 2013 - 10:30 pm

brewski:

There is humor in tragedy that people use to survive.

What did you find that was funny?

3. #3 by brewski on August 10, 2013 - 7:37 am

The breezy editing which juxtaposed facts which had nothing to do with each other and they didn’t even say they had anything to do with each other, but it is still emotionally effective to pretend that since the Kochs have a big house in Florida that they must be responsible for other people being out of work.

4. #4 by cav on August 10, 2013 - 8:03 am

It really IS about the big house in Florida.

Just disseminate the misinformation and let the people decide.

• #5 by Larry Bergan on August 10, 2013 - 10:22 am

Couldn’t have said it better!

Goddamn, this blog is slow! If I had to wait five minutes to have anybody hear what I just said, I would probably walk away.

• #6 by cav on August 10, 2013 - 8:42 pm

All these new NSA patches are slogging it up something turble

• #7 by brewski on August 12, 2013 - 2:03 pm

Let the people decide based on misinformation? That’s what we have MSNBC for.

5. #8 by cav on August 10, 2013 - 8:23 am

I saw ‘Elisian’, the new Matt Damon scifi flick last night. Frenetic!

6. #9 by Larry Bergan on August 10, 2013 - 10:17 am

brewski:

After your breezy comment, I’m shifting in the wind.

I will understand if you didn’t have time to watch the second video, but if you ever get around to it, I’d like to hear your opinion.

I have about five Bill Moyers episodes that are stacking up, but I intend to watch every one of them! There are only so many hours in a day, and I don’t even have any children.

7. #10 by Wow wee.. on August 10, 2013 - 2:37 pm

Larry, films are just not that important. The failed aspect of film is that it spoon feeds the watcher, leading to uncritical support or opposition. Exactly as the creator of the film wishes.

There is no work required by the watcher.

Right up your alley.

You’re a Gerber guy right?

• #11 by Larry Bergan on August 11, 2013 - 7:05 pm

The Koch film was obviously one sided, that’s why they offered the Koch’s a chance to be included.

I thought the Bush film was completely fair and just shows people in Crawford giving their opinions. It’s almost as if C-Span filmed it.

• #12 by cav on August 11, 2013 - 11:17 pm

PBS Killed Wisconsin Uprising Documentary “Citizen Koch” To Appease Koch Brothers

“Citizen Koch,” a documentary about money in politics focused on the Wisconsin uprising, was shunned by PBS for fear of offending billionaire industrialist David Koch, who has given $23 million to public television, according to Jane Mayer of the New Yorker. The dispute highlights the increasing role of private money in “public” television and raises even further concerns about the Kochs potentially purchasing eight major daily newspapers.

• #13 by brewski on August 12, 2013 - 2:31 pm

It wasn’t one-sided as much as nonsensical. What is the relevance of the Koch’s house relative to the Kennedy’s house or FDR’s house or Clinton’s house or every single person in Hollywood’s house?

• #14 by Larry Bergan on August 12, 2013 - 6:13 pm

brewski:

It’s not so much about the houses, it’s about how the Koch’s got those houses. They have been scamming every American with fake political organizations and don’t have any problems with using their money to get their fingers in every aspect of our political system.

That should make you MAD, not make you want to defend them. No Hollywood star or Kennedy ever had close to as much money as the Koch’s.

• #15 by brewski on August 12, 2013 - 6:34 pm

So how did the Kennedys get those homes?
          How did FDR get that home?
          How did all the Hollywood smut merchants get their homes?

• #16 by Larry Bergan on August 12, 2013 - 7:02 pm

Fake organizations with Orwellian names designed to make fools out of their fellow citizens?

• #17 by cav on August 12, 2013 - 7:24 pm

:-)

8. #18 by cav on August 10, 2013 - 4:13 pm

I refuse to watch E-tubes longer than thirty minutes, and then, they have to have Frank Zappa in the lead!

Most things having to do with Double U, are Pablum – probably genetically modified Pablum at that.

(will not be published)