The Conservative Disinformation Campaign May End Up Accidentally Helping Obamacare

This story made the rounds:

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — A middle-aged man in a red golf shirt shuffles up to a small folding table with gold trim, in a booth adorned with a flotilla of helium balloons, where government workers at the Kentucky State Fair are hawking the virtues of Kynect, the state’s health benefit exchange established by Obamacare.

The man is impressed. “This beats Obamacare I hope,” he mutters to one of the workers.

“Do I burst his bubble?” wonders Reina Diaz-Dempsey, overseeing the operation. She doesn’t. If he signs up, it’s a win-win, whether he knows he’s been ensnared by Obamacare or not.

Since the many exchanges will be run by the states (Utah included), the dreaded Federal takeover of health care won’t happen.

The crush of people don’t greet Diaz-Dempsey with tea party dogma or amateur constitutional scholarship. No one is there to complain about the individual mandate or heckle about death panels. They have questions.

They wonder if they could get coverage despite having a pre-existing medical condition, how much it will cost them. They ask if Indiana has a similar program, or if this was only for Kentucky. Could they just enroll their child? They talk about their sons and daughters, neighbors going without health care, and ask about the subsidies.

The vast majority are relieved to learn about the health exchange. Linda Parrish, 47, showed up at the table and gushed to Diaz-Dempsey: “This is what I’ve been waiting on.” Parrish has health insurance, but her best friend doesn’t.

If people sign up through the state exchanges and get insurance believing they’ve somehow avoided the dreaded Obamacare and then don’t have to pay fines because they have insurance, they’re going to be relieved.  The law will have done what it was designed to do, namely get more people covered by insurance – which is a good thing.

Our conservative peers have now spent close to five years in near hysterics about health care reform.  We’ve been subjected to never ending flow of lies and a veritable ocean of disinformation.  If that disinformation campaign ends up helping the law, that would be at least a little bit funny.

1. #1 by Richard Warnick on September 3, 2013 - 4:38 pm

Supposedly the Affordable Care Act was going to make health care… affordable. In 2008 candidate Obama promised, “we can cut the average family’s premium by about $2,500 a year.”

Health care costs, including premiums and deductibles, continue to skyrocket while real wages decline.

• #2 by Richard Warnick on September 4, 2013 - 9:14 am

YW

• #3 by Richard Warnick on September 4, 2013 - 1:27 pm

To your “thank you for channeling” comment, which has somehow disappeared.

I think we both agree that the ACA was sold as cost reduction, but contains almost no measures to reduce health care costs.

• #4 by Richard Warnick on September 4, 2013 - 1:28 pm

“Reply” function seems to have quit.

2. #5 by Larry Bergan on September 3, 2013 - 7:54 pm

I got to see Howard Dean when he was in town recently and he said he wouldn’t have signed the Obamacare legislation, however he went on to describe the good parts of the bill better then I’ve heard them described before.

I wish I could play a recording of his presentation. I still love Howard Dean. I hope he runs for president again.

3. #6 by Disgusted jew on September 4, 2013 - 12:17 am

Considering that the current action in Syria is based on lies and murder, one cannot imagine “obamacare” amounting to much..if it is even effectively implemented at all…

Wake up you morons!!

4. #7 by cav on September 4, 2013 - 7:53 am

Disgusting Jew. Nurturing dimness since it began to crawl.

5. #8 by Disgusted jew on September 4, 2013 - 12:08 pm

Nurturing dimness is the jew way, thank you for noticing cav.

Short of beating idiot progressive like yourself, richtard, and poor poor larry with sticks, what I am doing is done with love the jew way..a form of coddling..be well.

brush your teeth, and eat fiber every day, works for animals, should work for dumb goys as well..

6. #9 by Larry Bergan on September 5, 2013 - 5:04 pm

I’m just trying to make sense out of my new operating system. It won’t run a lot of my old software and I’m really struggling to make things work.

7. #10 by Digusted jew on September 6, 2013 - 1:16 am

Yes Larry, we can smell the sweat of your all manner of struggles from here..