Jason Chaffetz Presides On Viral C-Span Video

I had to put this video up on OneUtah, because it’s all over the internet, might have set a record for a C-Span broadcast going viral and features one of our own. I respect the fact that representative Chaffetz didn’t try to lie, gavel or shout down Chris Van Hollen, even though he was forced to verify, multiple times, that the congressional body he was elected to, did something surreal.

Some must have seen this on C-Span and aren’t being tabulated on the YouTube site, however, the exchange between the representatives has only been posted for three days on YouTube and has already picked up over 2,500,000 viewings. Probably more then any cat video to date, but I’m not sure.

If this exchange is being played by any American television news organization, I would be stunned.

Glenden just put up a post which links to an article by Eric Idle, where he says:

If one party can shut down the government, then the social compact to rule is broken.

Actually Eric, it’s just one man. My apologizes to our long time friend, England.

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on October 15, 2013 - 8:55 pm

In the time it took me to write this post, I had to change the YouTube viewings from “nearly” 2,500,000 to “over” 2,500,000.

Yikes!

2. #2 by Larry Bergan on October 16, 2013 - 12:38 am

As I originally understood it, I thought that the fate of America would be left in the hands of the House Majority Leader, but – as I understand it NOW – the hot potato has been passed to Eric Cantor?

3. #3 by Larry Bergan on October 16, 2013 - 12:39 am

Can somebody help me?

4. #4 by Glenden Brown on October 16, 2013 - 7:24 am

If I’m understanding correctly, the Republicans were fearful of a variety of parliamentary moves that would allow Dems to bring a measure to the floor and end the standoff, so they changed the rules to make that more difficult. It’s a lot of parliamentary minutia, but at the end of the day, they didn’t want an actual majority of Representatives to be able to thwart the will of the minority of teabaggers.

FWIW, I think part of the popularity of the video is the Chaffetz looks like a putz the whole time.

5. #5 by Richard Warnick on October 16, 2013 - 9:45 am

Rep. Chaffetz had the unenviable task of defending an anti-democratic maneuver to keep the U.S. government shut down for no particular reason.

I don’t think any of this gets Speaker Boehner off the hook. He could have re-opened the government with a 15-minute roll call vote at any time in the last two weeks.

The SNL parody got it right. “It’s our party, we can do what we want… This is our House, this is our rules.”

The one thing the Tea-GOP CANNOT do is blame President Obama for the shutdown.

6. #6 by cav on October 16, 2013 - 10:02 am

That’s President Cantor to you, the uninitiated. At least he passed the whiteness test – vote or no vote.

7. #7 by Larry Bergan on October 16, 2013 - 3:56 pm

Thanks for the great comments guys!

The video has hit 3,000,000 views now. Van Hollen must be incredulous.

(will not be published)