No Skateboards!

skateboard sign

I can’t believe that skateboards are still popular after all these years. I used to have one when I was 13, (now 61). I painted it with a “Thunderball” logo, based on the James Bond movie of the same name that was around at the time.

Stay with me here skateboarders!

I found out that steel wheels weren’t a good idea on skateboards, because it you hit a pebble in the street, it would send you flying onto the pavement; pronto! The rubber wheels came later, but that didn’t – in any way – stop the surfing enthusiasts, without a surf, from riding and flipping their boards around the town in unimaginable ways.

The sidewalks are for pedestrians, bicyclists, and you. It gives me energy to see you.

If I get hit; that’s the way things go. :)

Try not to hurt yourselves!

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on October 5, 2013 - 7:37 pm

Nobody likes skateboarders?

Too grumpy.

• #2 by Glenden Brown on October 5, 2013 - 8:59 pm

Larry – when I was very young we lived in the metro area and had great sidewalks so I could skateboard. Then we moved to the backwoods where there were no sidewalks and the roads sucked so there was no skateboarding. I feel like I missed a prime growing up experience.

• #3 by Larry Bergan on October 5, 2013 - 9:30 pm

My favorite moment in the 2002 Utah Olympics was the three snowboarders – all from America – standing there and looking proud.

I can’t help but notice that skateboarders never look back at you. They all know they’re good looking and expect to be looked at.

It’s as it should be.

• #4 by cav on October 6, 2013 - 10:52 am

The only reason Skateboarding isn’t an Olympic sport is the limitation on ‘Wheeled’ events.

Now if something could be done to circumvent that rule, the skateboarders would do for their sport what the snowboarders did for theirs, and acceptance would be miles closer to being assured.

That they’re not ‘gas powered’ ought to be worth a few points in addition.

• #5 by Larry Bergan on October 6, 2013 - 4:30 pm

Limitation on wheeled events? I wonder whose idea that was. There would certainly be no problem finding people to enter an event like that.

Yeah, every time I see a bicycle or a skateboard, I’m thinking that’s possibly one less car on the road. That’s a good thing.

• #6 by cav on October 6, 2013 - 6:15 pm

I’ll admit my source for that is sketchy – but as I heard it not to long back from a skateboard promoter, it made some sense.

• #7 by brewski on October 7, 2013 - 1:41 pm

Didn’t seem to stop the various cycling events.

• #8 by Larry Bergan on October 7, 2013 - 6:23 pm

If they DID put a limit on wheeled events, it was probably because they were worried the Nascar bunch was gonna want in. :)

2. #9 by Larry Bergan on October 5, 2013 - 7:40 pm

I’m happy because I came really close to breaking my hand last week and the swelling has finally gone down. Didn’t think it would.

3. #10 by Larry Bergan on October 7, 2013 - 6:26 pm

Anyway, It’s sad. Soon the skateboarders are going to have to hang up their boards for the Winter.