Don’t Shop on Thanksgiving Day or November 29th

The following retailers have killed Thanksgiving for their employees and families. Don’t let them kill your holiday, too.

• Walmart
  • Kmart
  • Old Navy
  • Target
  • Staples
  • Office Max
  • Sears
  • Best Buy
  • Toys R Us
  • Michaels
  • Macy’s
  • J.C. Penney
  • Kohl’s

The good news is that Costco, Nordstrom, REI, Burlington Coat Factory, and other companies are refusing to ruin Thanksgiving.

And don’t forget: Friday, November 29 is “Black Friday,” aka Buy Nothing Day. A good day to take a day off from shopping, or visit a locally-owned business. Feel free to laugh at those idiots freezing on line in a parking lot to get an XBox.

UPDATE: Walmart Store Holding Thanksgiving Food Drive For Its Own Workers

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on November 16, 2013 - 3:07 am

I, personally, am not going to be standing outside a Walmart on “black Friday, even though I have one immediately adjacent to my home.

I can’t deny that I shop at Smith’s Food King, which isn’t much better, but Costco is my preference.

Costco is great, but it helps to have a family of four. :D

2. #2 by cav on November 16, 2013 - 8:05 am

Some people are only there to photo-document the event. Ohers only there to be on TV! The ‘deals’, the plastic crap and the gifting option (remember the baby jesus), are all of the type promoted by and inside of our wonderful ‘market’. Capitalist wonderland where the Walton family greedily purchases the pols, then grabs every perk they can codify through the legal system’s puppety hands.

It’s a real thing of beauty…if you’re of that mind-set.

3. #3 by brewski on November 16, 2013 - 1:18 pm

I won’t shop on Thanksgiving, or the day after Thanksgiving, or the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I will spend the time with my family. I won’t even contemplate anything Christmas related until mid-December. When I do, I won’t buy much of anything. I have a hard time finding in the Bible the commandment to buy lots of stuff.

4. #4 by Larry Bergan on November 16, 2013 - 4:09 pm

brewski:

Sometimes you give me hope.

5. #5 by Larry Bergan on November 16, 2013 - 4:18 pm

Richard!

You left out 24/7; formally known as 7/11.

Greatest blues song ever:

6. #7 by brewski on November 25, 2013 - 4:37 pm

Richard, are you in favor of a law banning any business from being open on Thanksgiving? If you were in Congress would you vote for it? If so why? If not why not?

• #8 by Richard Warnick on November 26, 2013 - 1:14 pm

I said what I’m in favor of. Don’t shop for Christmas on Thanksgiving. Thought that was clear. You actually agreed with me.

• #9 by brewski on November 26, 2013 - 1:39 pm

Yes, but that wasn’t my question, though, was it?

• #10 by Richard Warnick on November 26, 2013 - 2:31 pm

Nobody has proposed a bill like you’re talking about. Thanksgiving is the day after tomorrow.

• #11 by brewski on November 26, 2013 - 8:52 pm

Still not my question.

Chicken.

• #12 by Richard Warnick on November 26, 2013 - 11:32 pm

It’s a lame hypothetical question.

• #13 by Richard Warnick on November 27, 2013 - 7:54 am

Actually, this morning on MSNBC it was mentioned that Maine, Rhode Island and Massachusetts have “blue laws” on the books that prohibit large retailers from being open on Thanksgiving.

Since it turns out the question isn’t entirely hypothetical, I’ll say I don’t agree with these laws.

7. #14 by brewski on November 27, 2013 - 8:51 am

There is a really easy way to get every store to close on Thanksgiving so that all of the employees can enjoy the holiday with their families:

If all the shoppers didn’t show up and they all took the day off from shopping and spent the day with their families.

Problem solved.

• #15 by Richard Warnick on November 27, 2013 - 9:09 am

I agree. What I said in the first place, actually.

8. #16 by brewski on November 27, 2013 - 10:51 am

You are right. You did say that. I was wondering how far you would take that principle.

As you may know in many countries there are very strict laws in place about store hours. They are meant to be worker friendly. But I can tell you from living in Europe, those laws make it hard on working single people who don’t have any time during the day to get any shopping done. These laws seem to assume you have a non-working spouse who is free to do shopping during the day.

9. #17 by Richard Warnick on December 5, 2013 - 10:41 am

Ruining Workers’ Thanksgivings Fails To Boost Holiday Shopping Sales

Overall, retail spending over the holiday weekend actually fell for the first time in at least seven years. The National Retail Federation said that spending fell 2.7 percent compared to last year’s take, dropping by $57.4 billion. And the number of shoppers showing up to stores on Black Friday was down more than 11 percent compared to last year, according to ShopperTrak, with sales down 13.2 percent.

• #18 by brewski on December 5, 2013 - 11:03 am

Peggy Noonan agrees with you as do I. Take it.

I can tell you I spent $0 shopping last weekend. Nice 4 days with the family.