I Don’t Trust Obamacare or the TPP

Even if I come out ahead at 61 – and doubt I’m going to -, I don’t like it, because it has come out that young people will be expected to pay for something they can NEVER afford – Hell; how are they going to feed their own children when our political system cuts their children’s food security a little-bit-at-a-time! A “health” system which is built on profit can never succeed because there’s too damn much money in it!

The same logic goes for war profiteering.

I think Tom Tomorrow goes a bit more lightly on Obamacare in his latest column, but I think it’s a masterpiece.

You may need to left-click on the cartoon to read it.

But also, note that Obama is working to keep secret a meeting at The Grand American Hotel in Salt Lake City tomorrow, (Tuesday November 19th, 2013), and all next week. It may weaken China, but I think we have the right to know what is going on, because it has the potential to greatly weaken America too. This treaty, called the “Trans Pacific Partnership” – TPP -, seems highly dangerous to everybody except huge corporations.

Let’s get down to the Grand American Hotel in Salt Lake City this week and try to find out what’s going on!

555 South Main Street. BE PEACEFUL! BE ROWDY! NO GUNS!

1. #1 by Richard Warnick on November 19, 2013 - 9:15 am

Alan Grayson On Trans-Pacific Partnership: Obama Secrecy Hides ‘Assault On Democratic Government’

WASHINGTON — Progressive Democrats in Congress are ramping up pressure on the Obama administration to release the text of Trans-Pacific Partnership, a secretive free trade agreement with 10 other nations, amid intensifying controversy over the administration’s transparency record and its treatment of classified information.

The only publicly available information on the terms of the deal has come from leaks, some of which have alarmed public health experts, environmentalist groups and consumer advocates. According to a document leaked in the summer of 2012, the deal would allow corporations to directly challenge government laws and regulations in international courts.

Members of Congress have been provided with only limited access to the negotiation documents. Rep. Alan Grayson (D-Fla.) told HuffPost on Monday that he viewed an edited version of the negotiation texts last week, but that secrecy policies at the Office of the U.S. Trade Representative created scheduling difficulties that delayed his access for nearly six weeks. The Obama administration has barred any Congressional staffers from reviewing the full negotiation text and prohibited members of Congress from discussing the specific terms of the text with trade experts and reporters. Staffers on some committees are granted access to portions of the text under their committee’s jurisdiction.

“This, more than anything, shows the abuse of the classified information system,” Grayson told HuffPost. “They maintain that the text is classified information. And I get clearance because I’m a member of Congress, but now they tell me that they don’t want me to talk to anybody about it because if I did, I’d be releasing classified information.”

Apparently it’s government by the corporations and for the corporations. Mere citizens and the media are not allowed to know about it. Elected officials are not allowed to talk about it if they know.

“Having seen what I’ve seen, I would characterize this as a gross abrogation of American sovereignty,” Grayson told HuffPost. “And I would further characterize it as a punch in the face to the middle class of America. I think that’s fair to say from what I’ve seen so far. But I’m not allowed to tell you why!”

• #2 by brewski on November 19, 2013 - 2:15 pm

“gross abrogation of American sovereignty,”?

Sounds like an impeachable offense.

Grayson must be Faux News watching racist.

• #3 by Richard Warnick on November 19, 2013 - 4:23 pm

There’s also some stuff in the leaked section of TPP that will seriously damage freedom of speech in America. If a Republican president was doing this, Dems would all be in an uproar.

2. #4 by cav on November 19, 2013 - 5:49 pm

Democratic president, Republican president…everyone ought to be in an uproar. Enough of this corporate oligarchy parading around, pockets stuffed with the communities money and pretending to front democracy. Psha on their exceptional breed.

3. #5 by Larry Bergan on November 19, 2013 - 6:48 pm

Bill Moyers did a segment on the TPP – who else? The experts on the show kept having to apologize for not actually knowing what was in the treaty.

As usual, the transcript is included with Bill’s video here.

What if your debate teacher told you to debate, but couldn’t tell you what to debate about? This is really crazy. Shame on the entire congress for not blowing a fuse on this one.

4. #6 by Larry Bergan on November 19, 2013 - 7:16 pm

We know what’s going to happen because we’ve seen this B-grade movie before. A pathetic gaggle of Democrats are going to be waving their arms and giving us a scoch of hope. In the end, our newly christened corporate “citizens” will ask them how much they want to stay in office, they will get silent and Obama will sign the treaty, probably when Americans are dashing through the snow trying to get to Walmart on black Friday.

Where the fuck is John – take American sovereignty from my cold, dead hands – Bolton?

5. #7 by cav on December 13, 2013 - 12:38 pm

(see bolded) Where was OneuTah?

‘The two wikileaked documents consist of (a) a table that shows the bargaining positions of some of the participating countries (but not Japan. Malaysia or Vietnam) on the main issues still in dispute and (b) a heavily redacted commentary on the last TPP round held in Salt Lake City. The commentary is damning: e.g. “…even leaving aside all the more complex issues (IP, SOEs, and Environment) [this] demonstrates a situation that makes it very difficult to think of a complete closure in December…This involves being prepared for as partial closure scenario, or even a failure in December.” Apparently, either a TPP victory will be declared at year’s end on the basis of a closure so “partial” as to be all but worthless, or the TPP will fail entirely.’

• #8 by Larry Bergan on December 13, 2013 - 4:24 pm

I like the last part of that text cav. Where did that come from?

• #9 by Larry Bergan on December 13, 2013 - 8:17 pm

And wait just a danged minute cav!

I was at the TPP protest in SLC three different nights. That’s me on the far left, helping to hold up a sign made by a wonderful group who came out to help us out called “Backbone Campaign“.

I wasn’t there for this one.

• #10 by Larry Bergan on December 13, 2013 - 8:54 pm

The night after the “RESIST THE TPP” picture was taken, our local activists, somehow, got permission to have a burn barrel, which was lit by Rocky Anderson, right in front of the Grand America Hotel, for activists to warm their hands on. As you can see in the picture, the G, R, and A on the neon sign were not working and it was pointed out that the scene looked pretty “ghetto”, especially when you consider that the neon sign – sort of – said, “The End America Hotel”. :D

That got fixed, pronto, the next night.

• #11 by cav on December 13, 2013 - 10:26 pm

Once again, my applause and thanks.

That was the first I heard about it. I’m glad you and your thinking friends showed up. That’s what keeps this ball rolling.

• #12 by Larry Bergan on December 14, 2013 - 12:14 am

I’m red faced trying to take any credit for the TPP protests in Salt Lake because all I did was show up. I was at work when the thing began during the day and the protesters that day came very close to getting arrested.

I have nothing but respect for the police in Salt Lake, but we are all pitted against each other today and their job was to warn the protesters that they would have to stay on the sidewalk. Instead, they decided to make so much noise, at the entrance to the hotel, that they couldn’t even hear what the police were saying with a bull horn.

When the handcuffs came out, the party moved to the sidewalk and all was well for the rest of the week.

Of course the question that was asked the most is why the handcuffs weren’t being flashed at the hotel quests. The 21st century kind-of sucks so far.

6. #13 by cav on December 13, 2013 - 6:12 pm