Greece Votes No

Greek voters resounding voted “No” on a referendum about austerity.

I don’t speak Greek but I think a loose translation of the message is “Fuck you, Germany.”

The best line of the week belongs to Greek Prime Minister Alexis Tsipras:

“Even in the most difficult circumstances, democracy can’t be blackmailed — it is a dominant value and the way forward,” Tsipras tweeted on Sunday night, adding that Greece intends to restart negotiations with Europe next week.

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on July 6, 2015 - 12:56 pm

Hey Glenden!

How you been? Great to see you back!

Unfortunately I have to admit that I think I accidentally deleted a couple of responses!

Yeah, we’re still having trouble with the comments getting caught in spam. Who ever that was, can you please re-comment. They were really short.

• #2 by Glenden Brown on July 10, 2015 - 8:57 am

Hey Larry! I didn’t mean to fall out of the writing habit but I did. I’m getting back into it.

• #3 by Richard Warnick on July 10, 2015 - 9:36 am

Thanks for coming back. We missed you!

• #4 by Larry Bergan on July 10, 2015 - 10:31 am

Now if we can get those other dead beats to come back, we’d have something here. At one time, we were assigned the best trolls on the internet. That doesn’t just happen. :)

2. #5 by Richard Warnick on July 6, 2015 - 1:12 pm

Economist Thomas Piketty: given their history, Germany is not in a position to lecture anybody about debt.

• #6 by Larry Bergan on July 6, 2015 - 3:24 pm

It’s really astounding how well Thomas Piketty’s book did. I happened to record Paul Krugman speaking live at a forum about the book that I think cav pointed me to, and I posted it on my VERY humble YouTube page.

A couple of days later, the entire discussion was published, but my little video went sort of viral. It got over 3000 views in about a week and now has 5,470. Sort of scary. :)

3. #8 by Larry Bergan on July 13, 2015 - 2:08 pm

Greece’s failure to make this work is heartbreaking, but I don’t blame them for caving. The capitalists are on a roll these days, and there’s no good way to stop them, because they simply don’t care about poor people. Playing to their compassion is a no start.

Chris Hedges, who is never one to cheer up your day, wrote a column called, “We Are All Greeks Now“. He talks about what’s happening to the poor in America and the comparisons with Greece are quite apt.