July 4th Scorecard

According to our government and the media, everyone is supposed to be terrified of ISIS this weekend. So let’s keep score of recent attacks here in the American “homeland.” I’ll update as necessary through Sunday.

SHARKS vs. Americans
Killed = 0
Wounded = 10 (Florida, North & South Carolina)

ALLIGATORS vs. Americans
Killed = 1 (Texas)
Wounded = 2 (Texas)

DOGS vs. Americans
Killed = 2 (Texas and Oklahoma)
Wounded = 1 (Alaska)

FIREWORKS vs. Americans
Killed = 1 (Maine)
Wounded = 9 (Colorado)

LIGHTNING vs. Americans
Killed = 1 (Arizona)
Wounded = 6 (3 in Colorado and 3 in Minnesota)

ARMED TODDLERS vs. Americans
Killed = 2 (1 in Louisiana, 1 in Michigan)
Wounded = 0

ISIS vs. Americans
Killed = 0
Wounded = 0

More info:
Video Captures Fireworks Bombarding Terrified Crowd In Avon, Colorado

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on July 4, 2015 - 4:17 pm

I’ve heard a couple of reports that ISIS is here and the recruitment is very well organized. I don’t care what John McCain says, I’m still not afraid.

I’m still not afraid of fireworks either. I went for a walk by Murray Park this morning and the 4th of July is a big deal there. Thousands and thousands of people. I saw their fireworks a year or two ago and it’s comparable to any I’ve seen. I’m going!

• #2 by Richard Warnick on July 4, 2015 - 10:10 pm

All day long CNN is like, “ISIS is so dangerous. They have… social media!!!” The USSR had strategic nuclear weapons, which at least justified a certain level of fear. The media freakout this weekend is just silly.

• #3 by Larry Bergan on July 4, 2015 - 11:43 pm

CNN was so much better when Jane Fonda’s husband ran the place. To think that Glenn Beck had a show there. Who is in charge of this?

• #4 by brewski on July 5, 2015 - 9:28 am

Ex-husband.

• #5 by Richard Warnick on July 5, 2015 - 10:47 am

I watched “Lee Daniels’ The Butler” (2013) on Netflix. Jane Fonda played Nancy Reagan in that movie. One of many unusual casting choices.

• #10 by Larry Bergan on July 5, 2015 - 12:06 pm

There’s only one conclusion you can come to with ISIS organizing on Facebook in America…

Bring the troops home NOW!

Right McCain?

2. #11 by Larry Bergan on July 4, 2015 - 4:18 pm

I know why there aren’t more dog deaths. :)

I always said, I like cats better.

3. #12 by Richard Warnick on July 5, 2015 - 10:53 am

Updated with a fireworks fatality in Maine and a lightning strike fatality in Arizona.

4. #13 by Richard Warnick on July 6, 2015 - 1:18 pm

FBI and Media Still Addicted to Ginning Up Terrorist Hysteria – But They Have Never Been Right

[T]he ominous FBI (or Department of Homeland Security) “terror warning” has become such a staple of the on-going, seemingly endless “war on terror” (d/b/a war on ISIS), we hardly even notice it anymore. Marked by a feedback loop of extremist propaganda, unverifiable claims about “online chatter” and fuzzy pronouncements issued by a neverending string of faceless Muslim bad guys, and given PR cover by FBI-contrived “terror plots,” the specter of the impending “attack” is part of a broader white noise of fear that never went away after 9/11.

…There’s only one problem: These warnings never actually come to fruition. Not rarely, or almost never, but—by all accounts—never. No attacks, no arrests, no suspects at large.

…A casual search reveals the FBI and DHS are a pitiful 0 for 40 warning of terror attacks—some of which were specifically about 4th of July threats, none of which materialized in any way.

5. #14 by Richard Warnick on July 8, 2015 - 7:40 pm

How Terror Warnings Help ISIS

“The government …is in a tough spot with the system that they themselves have devised,” said [Patrick Skinner, Director of Special Projects at The Soufan Group]. “There is no downside to issuing tons of warnings that never come to pass. Yet there is massive downside to not issuing one and then something happening. It is a systemic ‘cover yourself’ exercise that is difficult to break.”

Skinner said the best solution would be “to cut down on the nonspecific warnings as people can’t do anything with the useless warnings while the terrorist groups get the reaction and fear they crave.”

6. #15 by Larry Bergan on July 8, 2015 - 9:01 pm

I can’t believe it. I thought after what Chris Mathews did to Morell, he left the scene, but I guess CBS missed that. :(

And we also have Elliot Abrams blaming Obama for the rise of ISIS, saying, “I think the developments of the last six years are not the responsibility of President Bush,” he said. “They are the responsibility of the president in power now.”

These people do not belong on the media!