I don’t think anyone saw that one coming . . . John Boehner Resigns From Congress

Boehner is out – effective the end of October.

I guess we won’t be hilariously mispronouncing his name any more.

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on September 25, 2015 - 11:23 am

Surprising news. I wonder if the congress is going to get more tea bag.

I’m not expecting him to get very deeply into the true reasons for his exit when he officially announces.

2. #2 by Glenden Brown on September 25, 2015 - 1:00 pm

My gut feeling is he got tired of getting a right slagging for everything he did – from other Republicans. You can only try to heard crazy cats for a while before it gets old.

3. #3 by Larry Bergan on September 25, 2015 - 5:03 pm

I heard that his stepping down will guarantee no government shutdown over abortion. I’m going to have to rethink my opinion of Mr. Boehner. I even spelled his name right there.

Now lets wait to see if the congress has totally gone off the deep end or is maybe tired enough of the tea bags to put somebody who can lead…

…oh, what the hell am I thinking. :)

It will probably be a gun toting “promise keeper” or something worse.

4. #4 by Richard Warnick on September 26, 2015 - 11:44 am

I reluctantly agree with this analysis by Ian Millhiser on Think Progress:

When Boehner’s successor is selected, the GOP’s hardliners will have the fresh taste of blood in their mouths. They are likely to demand that candidates for the job show much more appetite for extortionate tactics than Boehner did. With Boehner gone, the next shutdown is much less likely to be averted — and it is likely to stretch on for much longer.

OTOH Speaker Boehner will be remembered as a disaster.
    The 4 Worst Things John Boehner Did As Speaker

5. #6 by Richard Warnick on September 28, 2015 - 10:31 am

The Boehner era has been one in which Republicans have accepted no responsibility for helping to govern the country…

Sadly, it looks like the insanity will continue after Boehner.

6. #8 by Richard Warnick on September 28, 2015 - 1:03 pm

7. #9 by Larry Bergan on September 28, 2015 - 5:03 pm

Robert Reich isn’t exactly holding back. :)

Actually I’m amazed John Boehner survived as long as he has. His one virtue as Speaker of the House has been his total lack of principle, which has enabled him to cobble together majorities or pluralities out of a Party that’s gone off the rails, becoming increasingly misogynist, homophobic, anti-immigrant, and anti-Muslim; filled with paranoid whackos, voodoo economists, anti-science half-brains, creationists, and white supremists; while being financed by billionaires, Wall Street, and big business.