Meet the Tea-GOP

Last night Rachel Maddow looked at Public Policy Polling’s August 28-30 poll of Tea-GOP primary voters. Aside from the “horse race” findings of who’s ahead and who’s behind (Trump is ahead, followed by Ben Carson, and the other candidates are all in the single digits) the poll revealed just how low-information the Tea-GOPers really are.

Obama a Christian?
Obama born in USA?

President Obama is a self-declared Christian born in the State of Hawaii. Rafael (“Ted”) Cruz was of course born in Canada, and held Canadian citizenship until last year.

More info:
More Republicans Believe Ted Cruz Was Born In USA Than Obama

The number is even more stark among those who indicated that they support 2016 GOP front-runner Donald Trump. Among those voters, 61 percent said Obama was not born in the U.S., while a mere 21 percent concede that he was American born.

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on September 1, 2015 - 1:08 pm

You have to wonder though. Did republicans just say Obama was a Muslim to be mean.

I’m not mean. I don’t speak any Spanish, but I have Mexicans here at the condo taking very good care of the landscape and I had to stop an make sure they knew I couldn’t stand Trump and told them to have a great day. They smiled, but I should probably learn how to speak enough Spanish so I can tell them what a great job they do and make them feel more welcome then they probably do right now. :(

I love old newsreels. Last night on PBS, they two programs on about the race between Johnson and Goldwater. Goldwater was up against some pretty nasty ads, including the most famous one with the little girl and the flower pedals. Goldwater sort of asked for it though. The first thing he did after getting the nomination was to say, “extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice!” :) And he supported targeted nuclear weapons in Vietnam.

If the Democrats want to run the same kind of campaign against Trump, they have plenty of great material!

It’s tragic that Johnson escalated the war. He was getting everything he wanted and everything the country needed. What was he thinking?

• #2 by Richard Warnick on September 1, 2015 - 1:35 pm

I was a Goldwater supporter in 1964, and I always admired him (In 1974, Barry Goldwater helped deliver the bad news to President Nixon that he had to resign to avoid impeachment). He was a brilliant man with courage and integrity.

The “daisy” attack ad was very well done. It played on Cold War fears, and the suspicion that Goldwater (as a retired Air Force major general) was a little too comfortable with the prospect of nuclear war. All great propaganda has at least a grain of truth!

Interestingly enough, the “daisy” ad only aired one time as a paid commercial. After that it was replayed for free on the news. Trump just pulled off something similar with his attack ad on “Jeb” Bush. He simply put it on Instagram and now it’s running over and over on cable TV news channels.

Here’s what Goldwater said at the GOP convention, in answer to those who called him a right-wing extremist:

I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!

If you read about Goldwater on Wikipedia you’ll learn that he championed desegregation and was “a vocal opponent of the religious right on issues such as abortion, gay rights, and the role of religion in public life.” OTOH he paved the way for Ronald Reagan and John McCain (full disclosure – I supported McCain for President in 2000, but I know better now).

• #3 by Larry Bergan on September 1, 2015 - 3:20 pm

Still a little of that Goldwater enthusiasm, huh Richard? Hillary probably still has fond dreams of those times too. :)

Just kidding. He probably wasn’t going to push the button the first day, but you have to admit, he did say the word extremism himself. They mentioned him going to the white house to tell Nixon his time was up.

PBS was made possible by Johnson, so I think you could say that without the hearings being broadcast there every night, Goldwater might not have had to make that visit to Nixon. That was a damn riveting television extravaganza! I know the republicans never forgave anybody for doing that to Nixon and by the late 90’s, the Republicans owned the TV and I think the Clinton impeachment was the payback. Oh, the fun they had on those 24 hour cable news channels! In the end it made Clinton more popular then he probably would have been, but I don’t think it did anything for Hillary.

The real notable figure in the PBS Nixon hearings was, of course, was John Dean, who was good friends with Barry Goldwater and they were both pretty disgusted with the Republicans later on. He was a good guy and Dean still is.

• #4 by Richard Warnick on September 1, 2015 - 4:54 pm

I didn’t know John Dean was tight with Barry. I respect people who do the right thing even if it means there will be trouble. I don’t think that includes the Clintons.

BTW you’re the first person ever to compare me to Hillary. I had forgotten she’s also a former Goldwater partisan 😉

• #5 by Larry Bergan on September 1, 2015 - 5:21 pm

A “Goldwater Girl”. :)

John Dean used to be on Olbermann’s great program quite a lot. I think that’s where I found out about their friendship. They even considered doing a book together. Too bad that didn’t happen. It would have been a good one!

…Dean shared the senator’s dislike of the “so-called social conservatives” who have risen to prominence within Republican ranks over the past several decades, and the pair planned a book for which they would talk “with people like Chuck Colson, Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell” and “attempt to understand their strident and intolerant politics.”

I have a feeling Dean knew there would be trouble when he bombed the Watergate hearings that day. Whew! :)

• #9 by Larry Bergan on September 23, 2015 - 11:49 am

I saw that last night, and Trump was smart enough to just let Colbert run over him without fighting back, but yeah, that was great opportunity to admit the fallacy of his birther obsession. Either he’s unwilling to ever admit a mistake, or he actually believes Obama is illegitimate. Both of those possibilities are not good presidential traits.

I think the guy who asked the question at his rally was a plant in the same vein as “Joe the plummer” was, IMO. The reason I think Joe was a plant is because Obama’s answer was very good, but the media ran with it for months. Trump screwed his plant’s question up, big time, and Colbert gave him a chance to recover. Oops!

Trump also refused to soften his hard line, racist stance towards Mexico. So, even though he didn’t attack Colbert, he comes out looking pretty bad.