Old Comedy Clip Responds to Oregon Gun Tragedy

I’m not for taking everybody’s guns away, but continuing to do nothing when these mass shootings are taking place nearly once a week is madness. It’s a terrible question to ask, but is congress taking no action because gun sales go through the roof after every one of these tragedies? Total inaction might be what the NRA and gun industry want, but it certainly isn’t what the vast majority of the American people have said they want.

Jeb Bush:

Look, stuff happens, there’s always a crisis…

Donald Trump:

You’re going to have these things happen and it’s a horrible thing to behold, horrible

I’ll let Ethel Merman respond to the 2016 presidential candidates. From “It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World:

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on October 3, 2015 - 5:27 pm

Well that’s interesting.

My video has ads in it. According to YouTube, here’s what happened:

Copyrighted content was found in your video.

The claimant is allowing their content to be used in your YouTube video. However, ads might appear on it.

I don’t like ads, but if Stanley Kramer’s estate makes a little cash off me, I’m delighted. Actually, I think Kramer would have liked my post; he made a whole movie criticizing cowardly gun owners who shoot penned buffalo. Except for having the worst title song in history, I loved that movie too. “Bless The Beasts And The Children”.

2. #2 by Larry Bergan on October 3, 2015 - 5:44 pm

And here’s Bernie Sanders, as usual, making perfect sense about guns sometime before the latest slaughter:

3. #3 by Larry Bergan on October 3, 2015 - 5:57 pm

And here’s Sanders, specifically addressing the tragedy in Oregon:

I like Sanders more, every time I see him.

4. #4 by Becky Stauffer on October 3, 2015 - 6:14 pm

A perfect clip for this situation, Larry.

• #5 by Larry Bergan on October 3, 2015 - 7:24 pm

Becky!

I have to admit that I can’t take credit for the connection. A podcast I listen to had a caller who brought up the Ethel Merman quote in context with the tragedy. I thought it was perfect and since I have the Mad, Mad World DVD, I just had to see Merman say it.

I was weary, thinking I’d have to spend an hour trying to find it, but it was probably the first scene she was in. The scene directly before it, with Sid Caesar and Milton Berle echoing what Jeb and Trump said, had me running to copy the segment.

Glad you liked it!

• #6 by Larry Bergan on October 3, 2015 - 7:28 pm

And thanks to MGM, for letting me use it. I’m not in this for the money. :)

• #7 by Richard Warnick on October 4, 2015 - 10:48 am

“It’s A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World” is one of my favorites. Has there ever been a movie with more gifted comics in it? But I didn’t remember the “these things happen” line – probably because it was Jimmy Durante’s scene.

• #8 by Larry Bergan on October 4, 2015 - 12:30 pm

I don’t think there well ever be another comedy quite like it. I think every comic that was around at the time was in it. I haven’t seen the remake.