A persuasive argument on refugees

For quite a while, I have been pretty against the idea of immigration and I do have my left wing reasons. After all, there is poverty, crime, the environment, employment and a whole lot of issues that we need to take into consideration, but this doesn’t change the fact that they are human beings who live human lives and have human needs just like us. Of course This issue is not black and white. We put ourselves in danger by letting these people in, but we put these refugees in even greater danger by not letting them in. There is no easy answer and it boils down to this question. Is the life of an American worth more than the life of a foreigner? The answer is no it isn’t. As someone who is a Youtuber and frequently goes online, I understand that friendship, brotherhood and understanding is not restricted to the soil we are born on. I have befriended an Australian, I debate politics with a Norwegian, I play video games with a Brazilian, I made Youtube videos for a German and I fell in love with a Canadian. Just like the person in this video, these are people who I would lend my couch to and I would risk my very life to protect these people.

1. #1 by Larry Bergan on November 18, 2015 - 9:01 pm

I haven’t heard any expert say that it wasn’t the Iraq invasion that created ISIS. We live in a country of politicians who put people in prison for marijuana and then don’t want to let them out because they’ve been in prison and might be dangerous.

And we wonder why we have problems.

Did I leave the innocent people we rounded up for Gitmo out?

• #2 by Nathan Erkkila on November 18, 2015 - 9:53 pm

Well that’s a red herring if I have ever seen one.

• #3 by Larry Bergan on November 19, 2015 - 12:40 am

What’s a red herring?

• #4 by Nathan Erkkila on November 19, 2015 - 3:21 am

Arguing something irrelevant to the topic at hand.

• #5 by Larry Bergan on November 19, 2015 - 9:46 am

I was asking you what YOU though was a red herring about my comments or the video. I’m confused.

I agree with your post and the video and I thought I was adding to the conversation.

2. #6 by Larry Bergan on November 18, 2015 - 9:05 pm

It’s our moral obligation to help these people who are suffering much more then we ever will from our own actions. The Republican governors make me sick.

3. #7 by Richard Warnick on November 19, 2015 - 10:24 am

The Tea-GOP is having an embarrassing and near-total xenophobic meltdown, which would be hilarious except that (as President Obama pointed out) the world is watching.

I don’t know if the anonymous guy in the video gets to any of this. I didn’t watch it all because it’s an 18-minute video and he talks r e a l l y s l o w.

Mike Pence, the Tea-GOP governor of Indiana, lashed out at some innocent refugees who were about to arrive in his state after completing a three-year application process in Jordan.

John Ellis (“Jeb”) Bush, who is running such a terrible campaign that he has lost his reputation as the “smarter brother,” could not answer a question about how he proposes to determine who is a Christian refugee (a religious test that is utterly unconstitutional anyway).

Congressional Tea-GOPers are now threatening another government shutdown because President Obama has agreed to accept 10,000 Syrian refugees in this country over the next year. Just to put that number in perspective, there are between 5,000 and 10,000 refugees arriving in Greece every day.

Republicans in Congress march towards shutdown as they peddle fear and hatred about Syrian refugees
    No, State Governors Can’t Refuse To Accept Syrian Refugees
    Refugees Are Incredibly Well-Vetted, As This Woman’s Story Shows
    Mayor Rejects Syrian Refugees, Says America Should Follow Model Of Japanese Internment

• #8 by Larry Bergan on November 19, 2015 - 2:38 pm

Looks like Mike Pence got lashed back at. That was pretty funny!

4. #10 by Richard Warnick on November 19, 2015 - 12:37 pm

Nearly 50 Democrats lose conviction, vote with Republicans on refugees

While Democrats initially stood up to Republican fear-mongering and bigotry, too many of them lost that conviction on the final vote for a bill that creates additional barriers for Syrian and Iraqi refugees coming to the U.S. Forty-seven Democrats voted with Republicans in a final vote of 289-137.

Of course, the Senate won’t take this up so it’s all kabuki theater.

(will not be published)