Behind The Scenes Look At Yesterday’s Bernie Sanders Rally

Bernie Sanders Takes The Podium In Utah

Bernie Sanders Takes The Podium In Utah

My short look at the Bernie Sanders event on March 18th 2016. A turnout to be proud of, as 14,000 heads show up to Utah’s “This Is The Place” monument.

Thank you Utah!

The organizers told people to show up about three hours early to get everybody through the scanners, but that wasn’t even enough time to handle a crowd like this. Some arrivals had to stand behind a police barrier to enjoy the Sanders speech and the perfect Utah day.

The Salt Lake Tribune provides the best quality video of the speech I’ve found so far.

KSL television has a very nice picture of the crowd from a better vantage point then I had.

1. #1 by Richard Warnick on March 19, 2016 - 11:08 am

Larry, what a great video!

The TV news coverage was excellent, particularly on KSL. Utah is not used to being the center of attention in a presidential campaign!

Another Bernie Sanders event set for Monday in Salt Lake City

West High, 241 North 300 West, 1:00 pm Monday. RSVP encouraged. To sign up to attend the event, go to

2. #2 by Larry Bergan on March 19, 2016 - 12:24 pm

I’m really glad I decided to walk away from the stage. It was the best way to show the scope of the crowd from the ground. The earlier helicopter shots on KSL were before the overflow crowd showed up and the barriers were up.

All of the outlets are going with the 14,000 figure, which is unusual, but there are some things you just can’t deny.

I’m really happy that Utah showed the world we care! What a great kick off for Sanders’s next phase!

3. #3 by Larry Bergan on March 20, 2016 - 5:37 am

I like to be honest. I don’t know if I had to walk away from the rally, but I did because I thought I might pass out. I had been standing in line for about an hour and a half, and then stood still for about three hours, in the sun, holding my camera up. One of my legs was falling asleep and I was convinced it was time to leave.

What’s most interesting to me, after watching my video, is that the crowd had made an invisible path for the handicapped. There aren’t any lines drawn, but organizers had told the protesters to make a path, and, as you can see, I was able to walk right out though it without any problem.

I didn’t pass out, but as soon as I could sit down, I did. :)

4. #4 by ken on March 20, 2016 - 8:50 am

These fascist protesters disrupting Trump events are Bernie Sanders supporters. That tells you more about Bernie Sanders than Donald Trump.

• #5 by Richard Warnick on March 20, 2016 - 10:47 am

Ken, do you think Donald Trump would be a good President?

• #6 by Larry Bergan on March 20, 2016 - 1:34 pm

Ken prefers Sanders over Hillary, but he’d vote for
        Satan before a democrat.

Did I get that right, Ken?

Tick, tick, tick…

5. #7 by Larry Bergan on March 20, 2016 - 10:00 am

Ken responds to little ole’ me.

Hit a nerve!

Sanders’s violent honesty is stirring the pot. :)

6. #8 by Shasta on March 20, 2016 - 11:43 am

Bernie Sanders IS the our best option for POTUS, even if he (and we) face more opposition than ever once he gets into office. His platform will be recognized as a mandate that flies in the face of corporate welfare, climate change deniers, and all those whose agendas further oligarchy. When first elected mayor of Burlington by a mere 10 votes, Sanders faced immense opposition and was blocked from accomplishing much of anything the first year. He has since won the hearts and minds of an overwhelming majority in his home state (Republicans, Democrats, and Independents) for remaining committed to his constituency rather than beholden to corporate interests and profits over people.

A lot of seats are coming available in the House and Senate this cycle (2/3 House, 1/3 Senate) and if we can get pragmatic bipartisan candidates in the seats we can do what needs to be done. Sanders is talking about making a pivotal turn in the direction our country is headed, and it won’t be easy. There will be a lot of kinks and bugs to work out. It will be worth it though, even if we only manage to enact a quarter of Sanders’ plans while he’s in office. (Firstly, overturning citizens united so that billionaires can no longer buy elections.)

Noam Chomsky calls Sanders a “New Deal” democrat, no more radical than Eisenhower. Sanders’ integrity, honesty, and genuine concern for people will make him our best representative at home and throughout the world. Sanders is both smart and humble enough to understand that POTUS is an immensely difficult job, and will surround himself with the best experts in relevant fields as he leads the nation and maintains a true North on the moral compass of these United States; people over profits!

Let’s take our children into a future where we are good stewards of this earth, where we create a better society for our children… Lets climb inch by inch toward more of a heaven on earth, and lope away from the hell we’ve been sliding toward. Let’s temper capitalism with a little democratic socialism in order to make sure huge multinational corporations don’t continue employ slave labor abroad and pollute our land, water, and air in an effort to sell us a cheaper plastic dust bins, phones, and Doritos. Let’s build a government “that works for all of us, not just the 1%.”

If Hillary is the so-called expert in foreign policy, I’m sure she’ll still be able to advise Sanders. But I don’t want to see her in office. She’ll simply repackage and rename the TPP to push it through. Giving corporations the power to sue countries for enacting laws that impede on their profits is extremely dangerous territory, and I don’t want to see that happen. And Trump? Well, the majority in this country know better. Nobody wants to see Trump but the media. His circus makes for great ratings, and that’s about it.

Get out and watch “The Big Short” if you’re still not sure what direction we ought to take.

7. #9 by Larry Bergan on March 20, 2016 - 1:48 pm

Republicans have a value. That value is to go down in flames before they’d admit to being wrong.

This, I believe.

8. #10 by Richard Warnick on March 21, 2016 - 12:53 pm

The One Thing Utah Caucus-Goers Can Do That Every Other State Longs For

The luxury of voting on a computer, smartphone, or tablet from home is only granted to Republican voters, meaning Democrats have to caucus the old-fashioned way Tuesday with a paper vote. The Utah Republican and Democratic parties are running their own primary elections this year, without help or funds from the state, giving the GOP an opportunity to try something new to encourage more people to participate. To take advantage of the simplified system, all Utah voters had to do was register to vote online before March 15 (unfortunately, it’s too late to register now) and log on with their given PIN number between 7 a.m. and 11 p.m. local time Tuesday to cast their vote for a Republican nominee.

9. #11 by HildeBeest on March 21, 2016 - 12:55 pm

It won’t matter..I get the delagates and the Democrat Party and super delegates decides what’s best for a candidate…The Burn Out can have rallies and cheering to his hearts content but my supremacy has been decidered by the elites in the Party. It was a goods run, now lie down Boy!!

10. #12 by Larry Bergan on March 21, 2016 - 4:43 pm

Sorry about that! We have a problem with our spam filter in WordPress. We NEVER moderate comments here. If you comment, you will show up that day or the next. I accidentally missed your comment yesterday. It won’t happen again.

Oh, and AMEN to your comment at #8. Glad you support my guy. We’re never going to have another chance to elect somebody with Sanders’s proven integrity.

11. #13 by Larry Bergan on March 25, 2016 - 2:14 pm

My little video just hit 900 views on YouTube.

Man, I hope Utah was an inspiration to all future Sanders voters. If we can do it, so can they!

• #14 by Richard Warnick on March 25, 2016 - 3:06 pm

I embedded your video over at – with attribution.

• #15 by Larry Bergan on March 29, 2016 - 2:51 pm

Just noticed this comment Richard.

• #16 by Richard Warnick on March 30, 2016 - 2:25 pm

Due to the purge of DailyKos, caucus99percent has seen an increase in traffic from 6,139 unique visitors in February to 42,718 in March.

• #17 by Larry Bergan on March 30, 2016 - 9:23 pm

Very nice!

That’s what happens when you find out the site you thought was standing up for you and democracy, isn’t.

(will not be published)