Archive for category piracy
Posted by Firmage Ed in 2004 election, 2006 Elections, 2008 Election, 2010 Elections, 2012 Elections, 2014 Elections, 2016 Elections, 9/11, Abu Ghraib, Activist groups, al Qaeda, Anthrax, Appreciating John, Bigotry, Biological Weapons, Bullying, Bush Administration, Bush Failures, CIA, Civil liberties Infringement, Cliff's Picks, Condolezza Rice, congress, Conservative, Conservative Sell-Outs, Conservatives, Contractors Military, Corporate Bullying, Corporate Socialism, Corruption, Crimes, Darfur, Deficit, Democracy, Democrats, Dick Cheney, Disgrace to the Military, Divine Strake, Drone Strikes, Economic Exploitation, Economy, Ed Firmage, Egypt, Election Fraud, Elections, Foreign Policy, Free Speech, Genocide, George W. Bush, Guantanamo, Hezbollah, Hillary Clinton, Human Rights, Hypocrisy, Impeachment, Iran, Iraq, Israel, Joe Biden, Joe Firmage, John Boehner, John Kerry, John McCain, Karl Rove, Liberal, Libertarianism, Libya, Lying by McCain, Mike Lee, Military, Military Industrial Complex, Mitch McConnell, Mormon LDS, nancy pelosi, National Politics, Neocons, NSA Surveillance, Nuclear Weapons, Oliver North, Orrin Hatch, Pakistan, Party Politics, Peace, Peter Corroon, Philosophy, piracy, Political Corruption, Pollution in war zone, Proof Bush Lied, Rafael (Ted) Cruz, Reagan, Religion, Religious Fundamentalism, Richard Nixon, Rocky, Rumsfeld, Rush Limbaugh, Supreme Court, Syria, Syria, Taliban, Tea Party, Terrorism, The Constitution, This Blog, Torture, Tribalism & Blind Obedience to Authority, Utah Politics, Veterans, War, War Crimes, Wiretapping on June 3, 2014
The Sergeant who some years ago left his post in that unnecessary and unwinnable war in
Afghanistan is either a hero, a traitor, or just a terribly young man in the wrong war at the wrong time. He spent terrible years of torture and probably said things he didn’t really mean.
Some years ago in Vietnam, Senator McCain was shot down over Vietnam, another unconstitutional war, and equally unwinnable war, confessed repeatedly to things he later recanted, once safely in the United States, and is, quite rightly regarded, despite his confessions to American war crimes, a hero. The two cases are not quite completely on all fours, as we say in the law. But the similarity is sufficient to compare with each other and with the undergirding of law.
Presidents, from George Washington to Barack Obama, who are visited by war, either their own or, like Obama, inherited from another (in Obama’s case two other) fools who preceded them, have always had this power. While not yet president, and without this act may well not have become president, Ronald Reagan communicated with Iran, telling them, in effect, just to refuse to deal with Carter on releasing our citizens from the U. S. Embassy in Iran, and await his presidency. Their deal (which killed Jimmie Carter’s hope for a second term and by the way was treason, meriting a firing squad.)
The 30, 60, 90 day notification of Congress is also unconstitutional, but not for the reasons the Republicans and Democrats alike, trumpet. Saint Paul, as I recall, said “this trumpet has an uncertain sound.” And I know he said that some leaders have “zeal without knowledge.” This is Republican and Democratic leaders on steroids, just like my former wife.
The reason the War Powers Act is unconstitutional is not what is now said by either Republicans or Democrats, as I told Joe Biden when he was both Minority Senior member of the Foreign Relations Committee of the Senate and when he was chair. I testified before his committee a few times, and he called me at the law school sometimes to chat about this. The reason is simple. Due to both a few but very senior Democrats and almost all Republicans, Congress forced the Demo’s to give the president 30, 60, or 90 days to play with Congress’ army while he picked his nose. War has not been officially declared since FDR did it in WW2. George Bush (the first) and Colin Powell, in my opinion, got it right, constitutionally, by voting 50-50 in the Senate, and then the Dark Lord, Vice President Cheney, broke the tie and we went to war in Iraq the right way by law; and they had the smarts to stop when their limited mission was accomplished. And until this time, the President, as Commander in Chief, has no constitutional power to use the United States armed forces, save self-defense.
In the Framers’ mind that means only when the United States of America, not our allies, are attacked. For Utahns, the reason J. Reuben Clark, my hero and a great patriot, a rock-ribbed Republican who served under many Republican presidents, served variously as chief legal adviser to the Department of State (then, as an deputy Attorney General on loan from Justice to State,,,,,,now called Legal Adviser to the State Department; and Vice Secretary of State, and Ambassador to Mexico; and advised many presidents between world wars one and two, on all arms control treaties between those to dreadful wars) opposed NATO was because it delegated the war power to a generation not yet born and for the defense of people, and nations, not yet born. Neither the United Nations (Korean War) nor NATO (Ukraine?) can declare war for the United States of America. This is the statement of law, the War Clause, that makes this beyond debate. Remember, that it is also the sole right of Congress: not the President of the United States, nor NATO, nor the United Nations, that decides what constitutes International law, as well. So, both Constitutional Law and International Law, save an attack on the United States, inform us that Congress, not the president or these international bodies, who determines for war or peace.
So screw the people and the Congress and president now living. When the president, any president, has this army to use, that army will never return to Congress’ care. This is unconstitutional because it is an illegal attempt to delegate to the President a plenary power, given exclusively, textually, to the Congress. Like the power over interstate commerce (the road by which most civil rights legislation is constitutional), along with the equal protection and due process of law clauses of the 5th and 14th amendments. It’s as if Congress were to say to Obama, “Say, friend, we’re so damned tired of life in Washington, despite the cherry blossoms, we will do what the Supreme Court does, and reconvene when good weather returns. We’re going to go to Balboa Island, California, where it’s nice and sunny, in ocean or on the beach, and pick our nose and scratch our butts. And better yet, we have one in eight chances not to pick both with the same finger. Even though we’ve proven, time out of mind, that we in Congress cannot chew gum and pick our nose, simultaneously (a great blessing). So, pres., you now have the taxing and the spending power, and we’ll sweeten the loaf by throwing into the pot, since you do have to stick around in this shitty weather, and give you the power also to fund and provide for the Army, Air Force, Coast Guard, and Navy. And don’t sweat it about financing things by the provision in the Constitution that spending bills begin in the House. Since you already have the taxing and spending power, do all this in the White House. P.S. please instruct the Treasury Department to deliver our checks, our salaries, and all the REALLY big bucks from the armaments industry and all those other lobbyists. We really have earned this right by selling our souls to the devil. Have a good life.
I say that both Senator and Soldier are bona fide heroes. Ed Firmage xoxox
You are currently browsing the archives for the piracy category.
Search One Utah
- The Most Popular Political Figure In the USA (4)
- Larry Bergan: Bernie Sanders always gets things right because he doesn’t have to wade through decades of personal lies, like...
- Larry Bergan: Idaho, huh Glenn? I’d have to vote for Pedro. 😀
- glenn hoefer: This guy has a better shot than bernie the jewish bolshevik from da Bronx..please..I already told what’s...
- Is the Tea-GOP Wealthcare Plan Designed to Fail? (15)
- Does It Seem As Though Our “Leadership” Is Trying To Destabilize Their Own Country? (19)
- glenn hoefer: The level of fear and and disaster in this world was created by o’blahblah/hildebeest blowing up Libya and...
- Richard Warnick: Trump and his cronies keep citing their supposed executive power to impose a Muslim Ban. But they seem not to...
- Larry Bergan: I wouldn’t worry Glenn. Your boy Trump is going to bring down the level of fear around the world.
- Meet Gene Huber, Trump Supporter (43)
- John B Talcott: We are just seeing the “tip of the iceberg” with regard to Trump’s nefarious Russian connections....
- Larry Bergan: How’s the economy going to improve? Are they going to call hamburger flipping, a manufacturing job for real this...
- glenn hoefer: You guys are amusing..the stink of the Russia fraud is rising, and there is NO evidence..Every hour that goes by, is...
- Reince Priebus: Take Trump’s Claim That The Press Is The ‘Enemy Of The State’ Seriously (12)
- Richard Warnick: Bottom line, the longer the Tea-GOP is setting the agenda, the worse for all of us. Trump is headed for a full...
- glenn hoefer: Sessions is staying..bad news for all the pedophiles in government. The HildeBeest too..probably the same thing, among...
- Richard Warnick: I’m back from an offline vacation. Elizabeth Warren wasted no time calling for Sessions to resign as a...
- Leonard Pitts to Trump: Just who the hell do you think you are? (4)
- Richard Warnick: Trump was campaigning in Orlando today, seemingly unaware that he won already and is responsible for his actions....
- Flynn Needs A Special Prosecutor (8)
- The Most Popular Political Figure In the USA (4)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video