Posts Tagged Aaron Swartz
Via Glenn Greenwald:
Massachusetts’ U.S. attorney Carmen Ortiz and assistant U.S. attorney Stephen Heymann are under fire for their office’s abusive conduct in the two-year prosecution of Aaron Swartz, a 26-year-old Internet activist who killed himself last Friday. Just before his death, prosecutors rejected a plea offer and threatened to take Swartz to trial on 15 trumped-up felony counts, carrying a maximum penalty of 50 years in federal prison. What did he do? He was accused of retrieving over four million academic journal articles from the JSTOR database (he was allowed to access JSTOR, but not to perform a bulk download). That doesn’t even meet the definition of computer hacking – it was a terms of service violation at most.
Swartz’s girlfriend, Taren Stinebrickner-Kauffman, told the WSJ that the case had drained all of his money and he could not afford to pay for a trial. At Swartz’s funeral in Chicago on Tuesday, his father flatly stated that his son “was killed by the government.”
…A petition on the White House’s website to fire Ortiz quickly exceeded the 25,000 signatures needed to compel a reply, and a similar petition aimed at Heymann has also attracted thousands of signatures, and is likely to gather steam in the wake of revelations that another young hacker committed suicide in 2008 in response to Heymann’s pursuit of him (You can [and I hope will] sign both petitions by clicking on those links; the Heymann petition in particular needs more signatures).
…This is not just prosecutorial abuse. It’s broader than that. It’s all part and parcel of the exploitation of law and the justice system to entrench those in power and shield themselves from meaningful dissent and challenge by making everyone petrified of the consequences of doing anything other than meekly submitting to the status quo.
In a bill called “Aaron’s Law,” Rep. Zoe Lofgren (D-CA) aims to amend the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA), which Massachusetts prosecutors used to charge Swartz… In a statement on Reddit, Rep. Lofgren said she wants to reform the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA) in order to “prevent what happened to Aaron from happening to other Internet users.” Lofgren, who represents Silicon Valley, is an outspoken voice on technology issues in the U.S. Congress.
Search One Utah
- Meet Gene Huber, Trump Supporter (4)
- Richard Warnick: Mysterious ‘Swedish incident’ joins Bowling Green Massacre and terror in Atlanta in Trump administration history...
- John B Talcott: Polls do show that 60% of Americans believe the story of Noah’s Ark and the flood to be true, and that 42%...
- Richard Warnick: Unbelievably Trump has racked up more travel expenses for himself and his family in one month than Obama did in a...
- Reince Priebus: Take Trump’s Claim That The Press Is The ‘Enemy Of The State’ Seriously (1)
- Richard Warnick: Rally for “Not My President Day” Monday at 9:00 am, Federal Building 125 South State St., Salt Lake...
- Leonard Pitts to Trump: Just who the hell do you think you are? (4)
- Richard Warnick: Trump was campaigning in Orlando today, seemingly unaware that he won already and is responsible for his actions....
- Larry Bergan: Sorry Christians. It’s up to you to clean up your act. My mom is a Mormon Christian to the bone and...
- Larry Bergan: Hypocrisy has worked wonderfully for the Republican Christians, even over decades of being caught doing it. Pay...
- Flynn Needs A Special Prosecutor (8)
- Outdoor Retailers to Gov. Herbert: We’re Outta Here (1)
- Larry Bergan: Well that should be great for tourism.
- Does It Seem Like Jason Chaffetz Is Having A Hard Time Here? (33)
- Trump Approval = 36 Percent (28)
- Richard Warnick: Today Trump dumped a whole truckload of alt-facts on us. Among other things, he said his administration is...
- Trump Ready To Support ‘Entitlement Reform’ And You Know What THAT Means (6)
- Robert Reich: ACA Repeal Is A Tax Cut For The Rich (4)
- Richard Warnick: Trump can barely read and he claims to be worth $10 billion. A genuinely smart person like Robert Reich ought to be...
- Meet Gene Huber, Trump Supporter (4)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video