Posts Tagged America
On this July 4, we would do well to renounce nationalism and all its symbols: its flags, its pledges of allegiance, its anthems, its insistence in song that God must single out America to be blessed. [snip]
Our citizenry has been brought up to see our nation as different from others, an exception in the world, uniquely moral, expanding into other lands in order to bring civilization, liberty, democracy.
That self-deception started early. [snip]
We see in Iraq that our soldiers are not different. They have, perhaps against their better nature, killed thousands of Iraq civilians. And some soldiers have shown themselves capable of brutality, of torture.
Yet they are victims, too, of our government’s lies.[snip]
We need to refute the idea that our nation is different from, morally superior to, the other imperial powers of world history.
We need to assert our allegiance to the human race, and not to any one nation.
Zinn’s call to rethink patriotism, to claim a new and different kind of patriotism, one that is healthier, more honest, than what we have seen so much in the last few decades resonates with me. Read the rest of this entry »
Search One Utah
- Zero Democracy In No Time At All (15)
- Major Victory For Stein Recount In Michigan! (11)
- Larry Bergan: So then… Voting machines and Trump? I’m trying to work with you. Do you think Sanders was in on this scam...
- Nathan Erkkila: Is that what you honestly believe? Yes the election was rigged against Sanders, but that was to ensure that Hillary...
- Larry Bergan: I’ll bet you the conversation on this blog would be a lot better, if even the administrators didn’t have to pull their...
- What Did and Did Not Happen at that Pizzeria in Washington DC (2)
- Green Party Files For Election Recounts! (83)
- Larry Bergan: The donation page has really stagnated. Hello out there! Has anybody seen George Soros?
- Larry Bergan: Haha! No, that wasn’t directed at you Richard. I’ve been putting that phrase all over Facebook. Looks like...
- Richard Warnick: Greens Heading Into Federal Court on Monday to Seek Statewide Pennsylvania Recount: Media reports that they pulled...
- Kendrick Eagle Message to Obama: ‘You said you would have our backs’ (9)
- Richard Warnick: Army Halts Construction Of Dakota Access Pipeline
- The Healthcare Reform Debate Revisited: What exactly is Obamacare? (11)
- Larry Bergan: I thought I might have my Obamacare go up as much as $100.00 from the way they were talking, but that didn’t...
- Glenden Brown: I wish I knew, Larry, I wish I knew. If the Republicans use repeal/delay, they’ll have to make all sorts of...
- Larry Bergan: Glenden: What am I going to do now? I just got through re-enrolling for Obamacare and my bill went up $20.00 a month....
- Hillary Recounts Her True Character (2)
- What did not happen in Twin Falls, ID (2)
- Richard Warnick: This is SOP for the Tea-GOP. And now we have a president-elect who says climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the...
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video