Posts Tagged Carl Bernstein
For the posterity of this blogs legacy, I reprint this article in full from Huffington Post
This is one of the most honest reflections on what has happened to McCain. About how McCain went from someone a Democrat could vote for, to a sell-out to the right-wing.
The Palin Pick — The Devolution of McCain
by Carl Bernstein
In one of our many conversations as we crisscrossed the country during his campaign for the 2000 Republican presidential nomination, John McCain said to me, "I’ve always tried to act on what I thought was the best for the country. And that has guided me…. The only thing I can do is assure people that I would act on principle."
I traveled with McCain for weeks that political season, stayed in Arkansas with him, Cindy, and their children, and – for a Vanity Fair cover profile — filled dozens of notebooks and tapes with observations from and about a potentially heroic politician who seems far removed from the man running for president today.
Three weeks after the 2008 Republican convention, on the cusp (maybe) of the first presidential debate, it is time to confront an awkward but profound question: whether in picking Sarah Palin as his running mate, John McCain has committed — by his own professed standards of duty and honor — a singularly unpatriotic act.
"I would rather lose a political campaign than lose a war," he has said throughout this campaign. Yet, in choosing Palin, he has demonstrated — whatever his words — it may be permissible to imperil the country, conceivably even to "lose" it, in order to win the presidency. That would seem the deeper meaning of his choice of Palin.
Indeed, no presidential nominee of either party in the last century has seemed so willing to endanger the country’s security as McCain in his reckless choice of a running mate. He is 72 years old; has had four melanomas, a particularly voracious form of cancer; refuses to release his complete medical records. Three of our last eleven presidents (and nine of all 43) have come to office unexpectedly in mid-term from the vice presidency: Truman, who within days of FDR’s death was confronted with the decision of whether to drop the atom bomb on Japan; Lyndon Johnson, who took the oath in Dallas after JFK’s assassination; Gerald Ford, sworn in following the resignation of Richard Nixon. A fourth vice president, George H.W. Bush, briefly exercised the powers of the presidency after the near-assassination of Ronald Reagan.
Given that history, what does John McCain’s choice of Sarah Palin — the cavalier, last-minute process of her selection and careless vetting; and her over-briefed, fact-lite performance since — reveal about this military man who has attested to us for years that he is guided by his personal code of honor? "Two things I will never do," McCain told me, "are [to] lie to the American people, or put my electoral interests before the national interest" — an obvious precursor of "I would rather lose a political campaign than lose a war."
Search One Utah
- Meet Gene Huber, Trump Supporter (19)
- Larry Bergan: I, personally, have no control over whether your comments show up immediately or not Glenn, but I’m the only one...
- glenn hoefer: Begs the question, the reason why nobody but a couple of you post and you are both admins, and then no one posts but...
- Larry Bergan: I promised Glenn that if he used one name, I would fish him out of the garbage. Bad decision.
- Reince Priebus: Take Trump’s Claim That The Press Is The ‘Enemy Of The State’ Seriously (9)
- glenn hoefer: Well duh Richard, the Imbecile had full spectrum dominance upon election, and rogered the republicans when any thought...
- Richard Warnick: A better comparison is how much President Obama achieved in his first month in office compared to Trump. Well...
- glenn hoefer: Tuning in here is like going to this site, except that this site is actually real..It is sad to see how far the progs...
- Leonard Pitts to Trump: Just who the hell do you think you are? (4)
- Richard Warnick: Trump was campaigning in Orlando today, seemingly unaware that he won already and is responsible for his actions....
- Larry Bergan: Sorry Christians. It’s up to you to clean up your act. My mom is a Mormon Christian to the bone and...
- Larry Bergan: Hypocrisy has worked wonderfully for the Republican Christians, even over decades of being caught doing it. Pay...
- Flynn Needs A Special Prosecutor (8)
- Outdoor Retailers to Gov. Herbert: We’re Outta Here (1)
- Larry Bergan: Well that should be great for tourism.
- Does It Seem Like Jason Chaffetz Is Having A Hard Time Here? (33)
- Trump Approval = 36 Percent (28)
- Richard Warnick: Today Trump dumped a whole truckload of alt-facts on us. Among other things, he said his administration is...
- Trump Ready To Support ‘Entitlement Reform’ And You Know What THAT Means (6)
- Larry Bergan: Tonight must have been gun night on PBS. An excellent new treatment of the Ruby Ridge tragedy, which gives both sides...
- Meet Gene Huber, Trump Supporter (19)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video