Posts Tagged Carl Bernstein
For the posterity of this blogs legacy, I reprint this article in full from Huffington Post
This is one of the most honest reflections on what has happened to McCain. About how McCain went from someone a Democrat could vote for, to a sell-out to the right-wing.
The Palin Pick — The Devolution of McCain
by Carl Bernstein
In one of our many conversations as we crisscrossed the country during his campaign for the 2000 Republican presidential nomination, John McCain said to me, "I’ve always tried to act on what I thought was the best for the country. And that has guided me…. The only thing I can do is assure people that I would act on principle."
I traveled with McCain for weeks that political season, stayed in Arkansas with him, Cindy, and their children, and – for a Vanity Fair cover profile — filled dozens of notebooks and tapes with observations from and about a potentially heroic politician who seems far removed from the man running for president today.
Three weeks after the 2008 Republican convention, on the cusp (maybe) of the first presidential debate, it is time to confront an awkward but profound question: whether in picking Sarah Palin as his running mate, John McCain has committed — by his own professed standards of duty and honor — a singularly unpatriotic act.
"I would rather lose a political campaign than lose a war," he has said throughout this campaign. Yet, in choosing Palin, he has demonstrated — whatever his words — it may be permissible to imperil the country, conceivably even to "lose" it, in order to win the presidency. That would seem the deeper meaning of his choice of Palin.
Indeed, no presidential nominee of either party in the last century has seemed so willing to endanger the country’s security as McCain in his reckless choice of a running mate. He is 72 years old; has had four melanomas, a particularly voracious form of cancer; refuses to release his complete medical records. Three of our last eleven presidents (and nine of all 43) have come to office unexpectedly in mid-term from the vice presidency: Truman, who within days of FDR’s death was confronted with the decision of whether to drop the atom bomb on Japan; Lyndon Johnson, who took the oath in Dallas after JFK’s assassination; Gerald Ford, sworn in following the resignation of Richard Nixon. A fourth vice president, George H.W. Bush, briefly exercised the powers of the presidency after the near-assassination of Ronald Reagan.
Given that history, what does John McCain’s choice of Sarah Palin — the cavalier, last-minute process of her selection and careless vetting; and her over-briefed, fact-lite performance since — reveal about this military man who has attested to us for years that he is guided by his personal code of honor? "Two things I will never do," McCain told me, "are [to] lie to the American people, or put my electoral interests before the national interest" — an obvious precursor of "I would rather lose a political campaign than lose a war."
Search One Utah
- Major Victory For Stein Recount In Michigan! (5)
- Larry Bergan: What am I thinking. The GOP is going to appeal and find a judge. The judge will be made an offer he can’t...
- Larry Bergan: I bought Greg Palast’s movie from Amazon last night. I haven’t watched it yet, but the guy really is an...
- Richard Warnick: I share Greg Palast’s amazement that the exit polls could be “wrong” in 2000, 2004, and 2016 when...
- Zero Democracy In No Time At All (14)
- What Did and Did Not Happen at that Pizzeria in Washington DC (2)
- Green Party Files For Election Recounts! (83)
- Larry Bergan: The donation page has really stagnated. Hello out there! Has anybody seen George Soros?
- Larry Bergan: Haha! No, that wasn’t directed at you Richard. I’ve been putting that phrase all over Facebook. Looks like...
- Richard Warnick: Greens Heading Into Federal Court on Monday to Seek Statewide Pennsylvania Recount: Media reports that they pulled...
- Kendrick Eagle Message to Obama: ‘You said you would have our backs’ (9)
- Richard Warnick: Army Halts Construction Of Dakota Access Pipeline
- The Healthcare Reform Debate Revisited: What exactly is Obamacare? (11)
- Larry Bergan: I thought I might have my Obamacare go up as much as $100.00 from the way they were talking, but that didn’t...
- Glenden Brown: I wish I knew, Larry, I wish I knew. If the Republicans use repeal/delay, they’ll have to make all sorts of...
- Larry Bergan: Glenden: What am I going to do now? I just got through re-enrolling for Obamacare and my bill went up $20.00 a month....
- Hillary Recounts Her True Character (2)
- What did not happen in Twin Falls, ID (2)
- Richard Warnick: This is SOP for the Tea-GOP. And now we have a president-elect who says climate change is a hoax perpetrated by the...
- Major Victory For Stein Recount In Michigan! (5)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video