Posts Tagged Carl Bernstein
For the posterity of this blogs legacy, I reprint this article in full from Huffington Post
This is one of the most honest reflections on what has happened to McCain. About how McCain went from someone a Democrat could vote for, to a sell-out to the right-wing.
The Palin Pick — The Devolution of McCain
by Carl Bernstein
In one of our many conversations as we crisscrossed the country during his campaign for the 2000 Republican presidential nomination, John McCain said to me, "I’ve always tried to act on what I thought was the best for the country. And that has guided me…. The only thing I can do is assure people that I would act on principle."
I traveled with McCain for weeks that political season, stayed in Arkansas with him, Cindy, and their children, and – for a Vanity Fair cover profile — filled dozens of notebooks and tapes with observations from and about a potentially heroic politician who seems far removed from the man running for president today.
Three weeks after the 2008 Republican convention, on the cusp (maybe) of the first presidential debate, it is time to confront an awkward but profound question: whether in picking Sarah Palin as his running mate, John McCain has committed — by his own professed standards of duty and honor — a singularly unpatriotic act.
"I would rather lose a political campaign than lose a war," he has said throughout this campaign. Yet, in choosing Palin, he has demonstrated — whatever his words — it may be permissible to imperil the country, conceivably even to "lose" it, in order to win the presidency. That would seem the deeper meaning of his choice of Palin.
Indeed, no presidential nominee of either party in the last century has seemed so willing to endanger the country’s security as McCain in his reckless choice of a running mate. He is 72 years old; has had four melanomas, a particularly voracious form of cancer; refuses to release his complete medical records. Three of our last eleven presidents (and nine of all 43) have come to office unexpectedly in mid-term from the vice presidency: Truman, who within days of FDR’s death was confronted with the decision of whether to drop the atom bomb on Japan; Lyndon Johnson, who took the oath in Dallas after JFK’s assassination; Gerald Ford, sworn in following the resignation of Richard Nixon. A fourth vice president, George H.W. Bush, briefly exercised the powers of the presidency after the near-assassination of Ronald Reagan.
Given that history, what does John McCain’s choice of Sarah Palin — the cavalier, last-minute process of her selection and careless vetting; and her over-briefed, fact-lite performance since — reveal about this military man who has attested to us for years that he is guided by his personal code of honor? "Two things I will never do," McCain told me, "are [to] lie to the American people, or put my electoral interests before the national interest" — an obvious precursor of "I would rather lose a political campaign than lose a war."
Search One Utah
- Is the Tea-GOP Wealthcare Plan Designed to Fail? (13)
- Larry Bergan: Hilarious and disgusting at the same time. Lies put to music: The American Way!
- Richard Warnick: Basketball Fans Treated To Ads Congratulating Republicans For Repealing Obamacare
- Larry Bergan: A young salesman at the music store told me he was reading Sanders’s book. This gives me hope.
- The Most Popular Political Figure In the USA (3)
- Larry Bergan: Idaho, huh Glenn? I’d have to vote for Pedro. 😀
- glenn hoefer: This guy has a better shot than bernie the jewish bolshevik from da Bronx..please..I already told what’s...
- Larry Bergan: The DNC election proved the establishment Democrats don’t care what we think. They should stop feeling sorry for...
- Does It Seem As Though Our “Leadership” Is Trying To Destabilize Their Own Country? (19)
- glenn hoefer: The level of fear and and disaster in this world was created by o’blahblah/hildebeest blowing up Libya and...
- Richard Warnick: Trump and his cronies keep citing their supposed executive power to impose a Muslim Ban. But they seem not to...
- Larry Bergan: I wouldn’t worry Glenn. Your boy Trump is going to bring down the level of fear around the world.
- Meet Gene Huber, Trump Supporter (43)
- John B Talcott: We are just seeing the “tip of the iceberg” with regard to Trump’s nefarious Russian connections....
- Larry Bergan: How’s the economy going to improve? Are they going to call hamburger flipping, a manufacturing job for real this...
- glenn hoefer: You guys are amusing..the stink of the Russia fraud is rising, and there is NO evidence..Every hour that goes by, is...
- Reince Priebus: Take Trump’s Claim That The Press Is The ‘Enemy Of The State’ Seriously (12)
- Richard Warnick: Bottom line, the longer the Tea-GOP is setting the agenda, the worse for all of us. Trump is headed for a full...
- glenn hoefer: Sessions is staying..bad news for all the pedophiles in government. The HildeBeest too..probably the same thing, among...
- Richard Warnick: I’m back from an offline vacation. Elizabeth Warren wasted no time calling for Sessions to resign as a...
- Leonard Pitts to Trump: Just who the hell do you think you are? (4)
- Richard Warnick: Trump was campaigning in Orlando today, seemingly unaware that he won already and is responsible for his actions....
- Flynn Needs A Special Prosecutor (8)
- Is the Tea-GOP Wealthcare Plan Designed to Fail? (13)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video