Posts Tagged cisgender
Wingnut ubersite WND formerly known as WorldNetDaily (or WingNutzDaily) has a completely hysterical (not in the funny sense) article entitled ‘Coed showers’ plan could hit even churches.
There’s nothing unusual about right wing religious types having a freak out about proposals to provide legal protections to glbt persons. In fact, it’s so common I think the rest of us tend to overlook the truly vile nature of their statements on these issues. To wit:
“This dangerous Peeping Tom bill will allow cross-dressing men to enter women’s bathrooms and dressing rooms even if they are sexually attracted to women.”
MCRG says that a similar bill in the city of Baltimore at least has exemptions for “religious, educational and toilet facility settings,” but the Baltimore County bill it has dubbed the “Dangerous Peeping Tom Law” does not.
MCRG noted that since Montgomery County, Md., adopted the change several years ago, women have been raped in the restrooms at Montgomery Community College, Asbury nursing home, Pelican restaurant and the Bethesda Hyatt.
“Women are easily victimized and ladies’ bathrooms can be risky places when men have access,” Jacobs noted.
The logical sleight of hand in the article isn’t even subtle. A county adopted policies allowing persons who identify as female to use women’s restrooms, some women were raped, therefore the problem are those rampaging, insatiable transvestites. Of course, there’s no proof offered that any of the women were raped by anyone who identified as transgender. It’s no different than the idea that it’s somehow wrong to allow gay men and straight men to shower together in high schools or colleges or military baracks (as if it’s not already happening). In this case, the story is very simple (and very fasle) – transgender people don’t conform to the religious right’s idea of gender roles, therefore they must be rampaging sexually insatiable beings who are inherently dangerous and will fuck anyone or anything willing or not. The mere presence of a MtF transgender person in a bathroom violates women. Even calling it the “peeping Tom” law is part of the strategy – as if transpersons don’t have to pee like the rest of us, the only reason they’d be in a bathroom is sneak a look at your wife’s ladybits. It’s a hateful story based in fear and ignorance.
It’s not as if straight, cisgender people have a great record (i.e. Secret Service hiring hookers in Colombia) of morally admirable sexual conduct (also see David, King and Bathsheba); some of them even engage in morally reprehensible and wildly inconsistent behavior (see Gingrich, Newt and Edwards, John). The fear of a transgender person using a public restroom and taking the opportunity to commit rape is wildly out of proportion to the real incidents of rape.
Such tactics are shameful and dishonest and the people who employ them should be publicly called out for their dishonesty and their bigotry and their fearmongering.
Search One Utah
- Major Victory For Stein Recount In Michigan! (19)
- Larry Bergan: I watched Greg Palast’s movie, “The Best Democracy Money Can Buy”, last night, on Amazon video....
- Larry Bergan (mobile): To add insult to injury, two of the judges who will be ruling in one of the three states are Trump’s...
- Larry Bergan (mobile): I wear a Bernie Sanders badge everywhere I go because I love how he has stood up for us, and a lot of people...
- What Did and Did Not Happen at that Pizzeria in Washington DC (3)
- Larry Bergan: Sometimes it’s best not to even know anything about these things. About 3 years ago, I asked somebody who the...
- Richard Warnick: This is so bizarre. I never heard of “Pizzagate” before today. I hope to never learn any of the details...
- Larry Bergan (mobile): How are they going to spin this one?
- Zero Democracy In No Time At All (15)
- Green Party Files For Election Recounts! (83)
- Larry Bergan: The donation page has really stagnated. Hello out there! Has anybody seen George Soros?
- Larry Bergan: Haha! No, that wasn’t directed at you Richard. I’ve been putting that phrase all over Facebook. Looks like...
- Richard Warnick: Greens Heading Into Federal Court on Monday to Seek Statewide Pennsylvania Recount: Media reports that they pulled...
- Kendrick Eagle Message to Obama: ‘You said you would have our backs’ (9)
- Richard Warnick: Army Halts Construction Of Dakota Access Pipeline
- The Healthcare Reform Debate Revisited: What exactly is Obamacare? (11)
- Larry Bergan: I thought I might have my Obamacare go up as much as $100.00 from the way they were talking, but that didn’t...
- Glenden Brown: I wish I knew, Larry, I wish I knew. If the Republicans use repeal/delay, they’ll have to make all sorts of...
- Larry Bergan: Glenden: What am I going to do now? I just got through re-enrolling for Obamacare and my bill went up $20.00 a month....
- Hillary Recounts Her True Character (2)
- Major Victory For Stein Recount In Michigan! (19)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video