Posts Tagged cisgender
Wingnut ubersite WND formerly known as WorldNetDaily (or WingNutzDaily) has a completely hysterical (not in the funny sense) article entitled ‘Coed showers’ plan could hit even churches.
There’s nothing unusual about right wing religious types having a freak out about proposals to provide legal protections to glbt persons. In fact, it’s so common I think the rest of us tend to overlook the truly vile nature of their statements on these issues. To wit:
“This dangerous Peeping Tom bill will allow cross-dressing men to enter women’s bathrooms and dressing rooms even if they are sexually attracted to women.”
MCRG says that a similar bill in the city of Baltimore at least has exemptions for “religious, educational and toilet facility settings,” but the Baltimore County bill it has dubbed the “Dangerous Peeping Tom Law” does not.
MCRG noted that since Montgomery County, Md., adopted the change several years ago, women have been raped in the restrooms at Montgomery Community College, Asbury nursing home, Pelican restaurant and the Bethesda Hyatt.
“Women are easily victimized and ladies’ bathrooms can be risky places when men have access,” Jacobs noted.
The logical sleight of hand in the article isn’t even subtle. A county adopted policies allowing persons who identify as female to use women’s restrooms, some women were raped, therefore the problem are those rampaging, insatiable transvestites. Of course, there’s no proof offered that any of the women were raped by anyone who identified as transgender. It’s no different than the idea that it’s somehow wrong to allow gay men and straight men to shower together in high schools or colleges or military baracks (as if it’s not already happening). In this case, the story is very simple (and very fasle) – transgender people don’t conform to the religious right’s idea of gender roles, therefore they must be rampaging sexually insatiable beings who are inherently dangerous and will fuck anyone or anything willing or not. The mere presence of a MtF transgender person in a bathroom violates women. Even calling it the “peeping Tom” law is part of the strategy – as if transpersons don’t have to pee like the rest of us, the only reason they’d be in a bathroom is sneak a look at your wife’s ladybits. It’s a hateful story based in fear and ignorance.
It’s not as if straight, cisgender people have a great record (i.e. Secret Service hiring hookers in Colombia) of morally admirable sexual conduct (also see David, King and Bathsheba); some of them even engage in morally reprehensible and wildly inconsistent behavior (see Gingrich, Newt and Edwards, John). The fear of a transgender person using a public restroom and taking the opportunity to commit rape is wildly out of proportion to the real incidents of rape.
Such tactics are shameful and dishonest and the people who employ them should be publicly called out for their dishonesty and their bigotry and their fearmongering.
Search One Utah
- Here’s Why You Can Fear Trump (23)
- Larry Bergan: Trump, literally, can’t shut his mouth. The man cannot behave. At least he didn’t lie when the fact came...
- Richard Warnick: So far in tonight’s debate, Hillary has successfully provoked Trump several times (including an accusation...
- Larry Bergan: I’m worried about the debate tonight. I’m afraid Trump is going to kill somebody in the audience and...
- Hillary Emerges From Hiding, Says Nothing (16)
- Allan Lichtenstein: ‘The rich get richer, the rest get poorer’ (1)
- Larry Bergan: I believe money should be earned. This country needs a maximum wage.
- Jill Stein: Pardon Edward Snowden, Now (8)
- Mostly farce: Might as well post WAPO commits suicide…the inevitable Trump victory is revealing some seriously scummy Democrat...
- Richard Warnick: WashPost Makes History: First Paper to Call for Prosecution of Its Own Source (After Accepting Pulitzer) Three of...
- Richard Warnick: The Intercept: Why Obama Should Pardon All Leakers and Whistleblowers — Not Just Edward Snowden [T]he unfortunate...
- Mike Weinholtz Takes On Governor Herbert In First Debate (4)
- Larry Bergan: I just found out that the only scheduled debate between Weinholtz and Herbert will be held on the 26th; the same night...
- Larry Bergan: We need transparent government in Utah. As Mr. Weinholtz said in the debate, everything is done behind closed doors...
- Larry Bergan: I think Herbert showed up at the very last minute because he was afraid people were going to start calling him,...
- Can Rep. Bishop Run Out the Clock on Bears Ears National Monument? (3)
- The Festive Walk Among Us! (11)
- Here’s Why You Can Fear Trump (23)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video