Posts Tagged cisgender
Wingnut ubersite WND formerly known as WorldNetDaily (or WingNutzDaily) has a completely hysterical (not in the funny sense) article entitled ‘Coed showers’ plan could hit even churches.
There’s nothing unusual about right wing religious types having a freak out about proposals to provide legal protections to glbt persons. In fact, it’s so common I think the rest of us tend to overlook the truly vile nature of their statements on these issues. To wit:
“This dangerous Peeping Tom bill will allow cross-dressing men to enter women’s bathrooms and dressing rooms even if they are sexually attracted to women.”
MCRG says that a similar bill in the city of Baltimore at least has exemptions for “religious, educational and toilet facility settings,” but the Baltimore County bill it has dubbed the “Dangerous Peeping Tom Law” does not.
MCRG noted that since Montgomery County, Md., adopted the change several years ago, women have been raped in the restrooms at Montgomery Community College, Asbury nursing home, Pelican restaurant and the Bethesda Hyatt.
“Women are easily victimized and ladies’ bathrooms can be risky places when men have access,” Jacobs noted.
The logical sleight of hand in the article isn’t even subtle. A county adopted policies allowing persons who identify as female to use women’s restrooms, some women were raped, therefore the problem are those rampaging, insatiable transvestites. Of course, there’s no proof offered that any of the women were raped by anyone who identified as transgender. It’s no different than the idea that it’s somehow wrong to allow gay men and straight men to shower together in high schools or colleges or military baracks (as if it’s not already happening). In this case, the story is very simple (and very fasle) – transgender people don’t conform to the religious right’s idea of gender roles, therefore they must be rampaging sexually insatiable beings who are inherently dangerous and will fuck anyone or anything willing or not. The mere presence of a MtF transgender person in a bathroom violates women. Even calling it the “peeping Tom” law is part of the strategy – as if transpersons don’t have to pee like the rest of us, the only reason they’d be in a bathroom is sneak a look at your wife’s ladybits. It’s a hateful story based in fear and ignorance.
It’s not as if straight, cisgender people have a great record (i.e. Secret Service hiring hookers in Colombia) of morally admirable sexual conduct (also see David, King and Bathsheba); some of them even engage in morally reprehensible and wildly inconsistent behavior (see Gingrich, Newt and Edwards, John). The fear of a transgender person using a public restroom and taking the opportunity to commit rape is wildly out of proportion to the real incidents of rape.
Such tactics are shameful and dishonest and the people who employ them should be publicly called out for their dishonesty and their bigotry and their fearmongering.
Search One Utah
- Meet Gene Huber, Trump Supporter (13)
- Larry Bergan: I’ve been thinking. How does the 4Chan participator know that all the commenters on that site weren’t...
- Larry Bergan: Good Lord Glenn! BE LESS WORDY! You can do it!
- glenn hoefer: Hardly..it is people like yourself that make anonymity necessary. You are so intellectually vapid, and this exercise...
- Reince Priebus: Take Trump’s Claim That The Press Is The ‘Enemy Of The State’ Seriously (9)
- glenn hoefer: Well duh Richard, the Imbecile had full spectrum dominance upon election, and rogered the republicans when any thought...
- Richard Warnick: A better comparison is how much President Obama achieved in his first month in office compared to Trump. Well...
- glenn hoefer: Tuning in here is like going to this site, except that this site is actually real..It is sad to see how far the progs...
- Leonard Pitts to Trump: Just who the hell do you think you are? (4)
- Richard Warnick: Trump was campaigning in Orlando today, seemingly unaware that he won already and is responsible for his actions....
- Larry Bergan: Sorry Christians. It’s up to you to clean up your act. My mom is a Mormon Christian to the bone and...
- Larry Bergan: Hypocrisy has worked wonderfully for the Republican Christians, even over decades of being caught doing it. Pay...
- Flynn Needs A Special Prosecutor (8)
- Outdoor Retailers to Gov. Herbert: We’re Outta Here (1)
- Larry Bergan: Well that should be great for tourism.
- Does It Seem Like Jason Chaffetz Is Having A Hard Time Here? (33)
- Trump Approval = 36 Percent (28)
- Richard Warnick: Today Trump dumped a whole truckload of alt-facts on us. Among other things, he said his administration is...
- Trump Ready To Support ‘Entitlement Reform’ And You Know What THAT Means (6)
- Larry Bergan: Tonight must have been gun night on PBS. An excellent new treatment of the Ruby Ridge tragedy, which gives both sides...
- Meet Gene Huber, Trump Supporter (13)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video