Posts Tagged citizens education project
The State of Utah and Kennecott are moving much quicker than we thought to implement their plans to dump millions of gallons of selenium contaminated water into the middle of Great Salt Lake via a 21 mile pipeline. An Information meeting (Dog and Pony Show) will be held Monday evening (most appropriately I think) at the State Library for the Blind!
Steve Erickson of the Citizen’s Education Project talked to the Water Resources guy who is in charge of the project and he told Steve that the pipeline is already under construction! Steve also tells me that they have no permits to proceed with anything but drawings.
This is, of course, almost identical to the process the Utah State Division of Transportation employed to jump start the Legacy Highway. That was a mistake – perhaps this is as well. What kind of presence can we generate between now and Monday? I note that “the public is invited to comment on the proposal.” If they follow the same scenario that UDOT did this meeting may be designed to convince the public that “this is a done deal and there is no point in trying to fight it.” If so, it is a lie!
If the selenium content is as minuscule and harmless as they say it is then how come they are constructing a multimillion dollar pipeline out to the middle of the lake to get rid of it? How stupid do they think we are? Selenium is known to accumulate in living organisms. What about the contamination of millions of birds and brine shrimp?
Kennecott created this problem by failing to properly line their tailing ponds – they should clean it up entirely no matter what the cost. They are liable. Somehow we have got to alert the environmental community of this threat. Any suggestions that you have would be deeply appreciated
Jordan Valley Water Conservancy District UPDES Permit to Discharge to Great Salt Lake: The public is invited to comment on the proposal of the JVWD to discharge byproduct (including selenium) from the reverse osmosis treatment plant directly into Gilbert Bay of the GSL. This permit is part of the larger project currently underway to clean up groundwater contaminated by Kennecott mining. The Utah Division of Water Quality will review and rule on the plan to discharge this “byproduct” water via a 21-mile long pipeline now under construction from the treatment plant in West Jordan to the Lake. A public information meeting will be held March 22 from 5:00 to 7:30 at the State Library, 250 N. 1950 W. Room 227. The permit will be available for public review.
Gerald M. McDonough
Search One Utah
- “The Donald” Doth Protest Too Much (10)
- Larry Bergan: Smokin’ Dead Libya: I DO believe the Democratic establishment and the media forced Bernie Sanders’s loss,...
- Smokin' Dead Libya: It’s a pretty big deal..for if it is the Landslide for Trump I suspect it won’t be an...
- Larry Bergan: Here’s a perfect headline from after the final debate tonight: Trump Will Let Nation Know If Election Was Rigged...
- What Keeps People Down? (4)
- Larry Bergan: Ken: Have you been taking self help classes? Are you really Tony Robbins?
- Ken Bingham: This is not about bootstraps. bootsraps says you are on your own and no one else can help you. No this is about helping...
- Ken Bingham: Why change things when there is so much power and fortune to be made perpetuating the status quo?
- Letter to My Hypothalamus (1)
- Larry Bergan: That was really thankless and cruel, Ken. I think that’s your republican side coming out. You should probably...
- Yes, we were in the abuser’s house (22)
- Smokin' Dead Libya: Seems like the good people of Utah are getting it.. http://www.breitbart.com/2016-preside...
- Smokin' Dead Libya: The Russian prospect is armed with a dead man’s switch, which is something to consider in a HildeBeest...
- Richard Warnick: The Intercept has a story about Hillary’s plans for a corporate tax holiday for multinationals. Almost no...
- Hillary’s Wall Street Speeches: Politicians ‘need both a public and a private position’ (5)
- Richard Warnick: The Intercept: Hillary Clinton should release the full transcripts of her speeches, to clear everything up
- Larry Bergan: I was just starting to realize they had passed over the climate again just before that question. I see Trump as the...
- Richard Warnick: James Carville on MSNBC: “The fact-checkers are going to be busier than a one-armed paper hanger.” Of...
- Mike Weinholtz Versus Governor Herbert In Televised Debate (15)
- The Jimmy Dore Show: Forget The Lesser Evil (11)
- Larry Bergan: Very Funny!
- Allan Lichtenstein: ‘The rich get richer, the rest get poorer’ (2)
- Nathan Erkkila: You had your chance with Sanders. Neither Clinton Nor Trump will do anything for people who cannot afford private...
- “The Donald” Doth Protest Too Much (10)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video