Posts Tagged complexity
Posted by Glenden Brown in Activist groups, American History, American People, Barack Obama, Bush Administration, Conservative, Conservatives, Crimes, Democracy, Democrats, Mental health, Mental Illness, Party Politics, Religion, Religious Fundamentalism, Republicans, Society, This Blog on October 12, 2013
The American right has transformed from conservative to reactionary to revanchist in an incredibly short period of time. Today’s Republican base voters feel a toxic mix of anger, frustration, and isolation. The general perception of America outside their communities is almost entirely negative. They are keenly aware of themselves as the last holdouts against a rising tide of racial pluralism and cultural tolerance. The forces at work are complex, but at the same they are the same enemies liberalism has always opposed – the forces of social order which presume that some people are ‘more equal’ than others. Today’s Republican party has been transformed from a political party to a fundamentalist movement with all that implies about in group and out group dynamics; organized around the ideas of Constitutional purity, American exceptionalism, and traditional culture, this political fundamentalism movement is motivated by fear, anger and loss.
On October 3, Democracy Corps published Inside the GOP, their findings from a series of focus group discussions with Republicans. They identified the GOP’s three key constituencies – evangelicals, Tea Partiers and moderates and held focus groups in various cities around the country. The memo as a whole makes for depressing reading – it describes a group of Americans who see themselves as socially, culturally and political isolated, a faithful remnant fighting to restore the America they understand and value against a devious and largely victorious enemy. The average member of the Republican base feels besieged, angry and frustrated. Their sense of isolation within contemporary culture cannot be overstated. Tellingly, the members of the focus groups reported that the focus group time was a unique experience of being around like-minded people: Read the rest of this entry »
Search One Utah
- Bloodsuckers Big Day! (10)
- Larry Bergan: Today Trump is saying we should have taken the oil in Iraq and is hinting at going back in for it. But… Obama,...
- Larry Bergan: I’m pretty sure this could, if nothing else, force Trump to release his tax returns. The little brat will be...
- Richard Warnick: It’s tough on local news readers. This morning on Channel 13 they struggled unsuccessfully to pronounce...
- #Alternativefacts is Now A Hashtag on Twitter (10)
- Larry Bergan: It’s as if Trump and his team are advancing the old Nazi propaganda tactic of the big lie a step further and...
- Richard Warnick: The Orwellian slogan, “Ignorance is Strength” works for Trump. Robert Kuttner: Trump’s strategy is to...
- Larry Bergan: OOPS! Been letting Glenn comment with an alternate reality name. Won’t happen again!
- Donald Trump’s Very Delicate Fee-fees are hurt by the mean media saying true things about him (3)
- Larry Bergan: Schumer should have stood up and threw a glass of water in Trump’s face for saying this, but it looks like...
- Richard Warnick: Shorter Sean Spicer: We are not lying, but we reserve the right to disagree with the facts!
- Larry Bergan: I can’t help it, if I don’t know how to talk to a bulldozer.
- Never Give Up! Millions March Against Trump (14)
- The Right Created Trump – they own him and everything he does (17)
- Larry Bergan: What are your thoughts oblabatyblahooey?
- Larry Bergan: I’m glad I’m not in the healthcare industry trying to tell patients what the heck is going to happen to...
- Richard Warnick: Trump’s CIA nominee is open to allowing torture. To be fair, the US never stopped torturing detainees, though...
- President Obama Proclaims Bears Ears National Monument (7)
- Manning Goes Free In May! (11)
- Larry Bergan: You should be in theater Glenn. Oh… You are. I get it now. 😀
- Bloodsuckers Big Day! (10)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video