Posts Tagged Crowd-Size lies
Wow! Two lies in one day, and not a moment too soon. The media’s use of ‘L’-word (Lie, Liar, Lying) is now standard fair. There are more articles about lying today than yesterday.
Perhaps now, some people won’t we quite so surprised when they are accused of lying. Steve Urughart watch out.
I believe I will add the word as a new category. It shall serve as parent to my first an only sub category, ‘Proof Bush Lied’ which, I’m proud to say saw her inaugural use way back in March of 2007 with this first in a series Proof Bush Lied to Congress and America – Introduction.
And now, I give you today’s McCain lie.
By Lorraine Woellert and Jeff Bliss
Sept. 13 (Bloomberg) — Senator John McCain has drawn some of the biggest crowds of his presidential campaign since adding Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to his ticket on Aug. 29. Now officials say they can’t substantiate the figures McCain’s aides are claiming.
McCain aide Kimmie Lipscomb told reporters on Sept. 10 that an outdoor rally in Fairfax City, Virginia, drew 23,000 people, attributing the crowd estimate to a fire marshal.
Fairfax City Fire Marshal Andrew Wilson said his office did not supply that number to the campaign and could not confirm it. Wilson, in an interview, said the fire department does not monitor attendance at outdoor events.
In recent days, journalists attending the rallies have been raising questions about the crowd estimates with the campaign. In a story on Sept. 11 about Palin’s attraction for some Virginia women voters, Washington Post reporter Marc Fisher estimated the crowd to be 8,000, not the 23,000 cited by the campaign.
“The 23,000 figure was substantiated on the ground,” McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said. “The campaign is willing to stand by the fact that it was our biggest crowd to date.”
“Since day one, this campaign has been consistent that we’re not going to win or lose based on crowd size but the substance of John McCain’s record,” Bounds said.
Town Hall Meetings
Until Palin, 44, joined him on the campaign trail, McCain, 72, had limited his political events to smaller town hall meetings and rallies of a few hundred people. His Democratic rival, Barack Obama, an Illinois senator, routinely draws thousands of people to his speeches, a phenomenon McCain has tried to use to his advantage by labeling Obama, 47, a celebrity.
That changed on Aug. 30, at Palin’s first big public appearance after her nomination. The McCain campaign said 10,000 people showed up at the Consol Energy Arena in Washington, Pennsylvania, home of the Washington Wild Things baseball team.
The campaign attributed that estimate, and several that followed, to U.S. Secret Service figures, based on the number of people who passed through magnetometers.
“We didn’t provide any numbers to the campaign,” said Malcolm Wiley, a spokesman for the U.S. Secret Service. Wiley said he would not “confirm or dispute” the numbers the McCain campaign has given to reporters.
Last Updated: September 13, 2008 10:19 EDT
Search One Utah
- Green Party Files For Election Recounts! (81)
- Richard Warnick: Greens Heading Into Federal Court on Monday to Seek Statewide Pennsylvania Recount: Media reports that they pulled...
- Richard Warnick: If you are asking me, I am with the 99 Percent and small “d” democracy. MSNBC is with the money, this...
- Larry Bergan: Why is MSDNC complaining about anything. I thought their whole mission in life was to put Hillary in the white house....
- The Healthcare Reform Debate Revisited: What exactly is Obamacare? (11)
- Larry Bergan: I thought I might have my Obamacare go up as much as $100.00 from the way they were talking, but that didn’t...
- Glenden Brown: I wish I knew, Larry, I wish I knew. If the Republicans use repeal/delay, they’ll have to make all sorts of...
- Larry Bergan: Glenden: What am I going to do now? I just got through re-enrolling for Obamacare and my bill went up $20.00 a month....
- Zero Democracy In No Time At All (13)
- Hillary Recounts Her True Character (2)
- What did not happen in Twin Falls, ID (2)
- Trump is Unhinged but Not Crazy (4)
- Richard Warnick: As a matter of principle, I have stayed away from Daily Kos since last March. I will never again visit that site or...
- Larry Bergan: Actually, now that we know Breitbart is a white supremacist outlet, it shines a new light on the ACORN episode,...
- Larry Bergan: The dangerous thing about this is, I don’t believe the term “election fraud”, which is the voting...
- The Electoral College Can’t Save Us From Ourselves (10)
- Green Party Files For Election Recounts! (81)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video