Posts Tagged Crowd-Size lies
Wow! Two lies in one day, and not a moment too soon. The media’s use of ‘L’-word (Lie, Liar, Lying) is now standard fair. There are more articles about lying today than yesterday.
Perhaps now, some people won’t we quite so surprised when they are accused of lying. Steve Urughart watch out.
I believe I will add the word as a new category. It shall serve as parent to my first an only sub category, ‘Proof Bush Lied’ which, I’m proud to say saw her inaugural use way back in March of 2007 with this first in a series Proof Bush Lied to Congress and America – Introduction.
And now, I give you today’s McCain lie.
By Lorraine Woellert and Jeff Bliss
Sept. 13 (Bloomberg) — Senator John McCain has drawn some of the biggest crowds of his presidential campaign since adding Alaska Governor Sarah Palin to his ticket on Aug. 29. Now officials say they can’t substantiate the figures McCain’s aides are claiming.
McCain aide Kimmie Lipscomb told reporters on Sept. 10 that an outdoor rally in Fairfax City, Virginia, drew 23,000 people, attributing the crowd estimate to a fire marshal.
Fairfax City Fire Marshal Andrew Wilson said his office did not supply that number to the campaign and could not confirm it. Wilson, in an interview, said the fire department does not monitor attendance at outdoor events.
In recent days, journalists attending the rallies have been raising questions about the crowd estimates with the campaign. In a story on Sept. 11 about Palin’s attraction for some Virginia women voters, Washington Post reporter Marc Fisher estimated the crowd to be 8,000, not the 23,000 cited by the campaign.
“The 23,000 figure was substantiated on the ground,” McCain spokesman Tucker Bounds said. “The campaign is willing to stand by the fact that it was our biggest crowd to date.”
“Since day one, this campaign has been consistent that we’re not going to win or lose based on crowd size but the substance of John McCain’s record,” Bounds said.
Town Hall Meetings
Until Palin, 44, joined him on the campaign trail, McCain, 72, had limited his political events to smaller town hall meetings and rallies of a few hundred people. His Democratic rival, Barack Obama, an Illinois senator, routinely draws thousands of people to his speeches, a phenomenon McCain has tried to use to his advantage by labeling Obama, 47, a celebrity.
That changed on Aug. 30, at Palin’s first big public appearance after her nomination. The McCain campaign said 10,000 people showed up at the Consol Energy Arena in Washington, Pennsylvania, home of the Washington Wild Things baseball team.
The campaign attributed that estimate, and several that followed, to U.S. Secret Service figures, based on the number of people who passed through magnetometers.
“We didn’t provide any numbers to the campaign,” said Malcolm Wiley, a spokesman for the U.S. Secret Service. Wiley said he would not “confirm or dispute” the numbers the McCain campaign has given to reporters.
Last Updated: September 13, 2008 10:19 EDT
Search One Utah
- Trump Continues Poll Nosedive (1)
- Larry Bergan: Trump still has our Glenn. That’s something.
- The Failure of Republican Health Care “Reform” Is a Sign of Bad Things to Come (2)
- The Most Popular Political Figure In the USA (4)
- Larry Bergan: Bernie Sanders always gets things right because he doesn’t have to wade through decades of personal lies, like...
- Larry Bergan: Idaho, huh Glenn? I’d have to vote for Pedro. 😀
- glenn hoefer: This guy has a better shot than bernie the jewish bolshevik from da Bronx..please..I already told what’s...
- Is the Tea-GOP Wealthcare Plan Designed to Fail? (15)
- Does It Seem As Though Our “Leadership” Is Trying To Destabilize Their Own Country? (19)
- glenn hoefer: The level of fear and and disaster in this world was created by o’blahblah/hildebeest blowing up Libya and...
- Richard Warnick: Trump and his cronies keep citing their supposed executive power to impose a Muslim Ban. But they seem not to...
- Larry Bergan: I wouldn’t worry Glenn. Your boy Trump is going to bring down the level of fear around the world.
- Meet Gene Huber, Trump Supporter (43)
- John B Talcott: We are just seeing the “tip of the iceberg” with regard to Trump’s nefarious Russian connections....
- Larry Bergan: How’s the economy going to improve? Are they going to call hamburger flipping, a manufacturing job for real this...
- glenn hoefer: You guys are amusing..the stink of the Russia fraud is rising, and there is NO evidence..Every hour that goes by, is...
- Reince Priebus: Take Trump’s Claim That The Press Is The ‘Enemy Of The State’ Seriously (12)
- Richard Warnick: Bottom line, the longer the Tea-GOP is setting the agenda, the worse for all of us. Trump is headed for a full...
- glenn hoefer: Sessions is staying..bad news for all the pedophiles in government. The HildeBeest too..probably the same thing, among...
- Richard Warnick: I’m back from an offline vacation. Elizabeth Warren wasted no time calling for Sessions to resign as a...
- Trump Continues Poll Nosedive (1)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video