Posts Tagged dynamic complexity
Posted by Glenden Brown in Activist groups, American History, American People, Barack Obama, Bush Administration, Conservative, Conservatives, Crimes, Democracy, Democrats, Mental health, Mental Illness, Party Politics, Religion, Religious Fundamentalism, Republicans, Society, This Blog on October 12, 2013
The American right has transformed from conservative to reactionary to revanchist in an incredibly short period of time. Today’s Republican base voters feel a toxic mix of anger, frustration, and isolation. The general perception of America outside their communities is almost entirely negative. They are keenly aware of themselves as the last holdouts against a rising tide of racial pluralism and cultural tolerance. The forces at work are complex, but at the same they are the same enemies liberalism has always opposed – the forces of social order which presume that some people are ‘more equal’ than others. Today’s Republican party has been transformed from a political party to a fundamentalist movement with all that implies about in group and out group dynamics; organized around the ideas of Constitutional purity, American exceptionalism, and traditional culture, this political fundamentalism movement is motivated by fear, anger and loss.
On October 3, Democracy Corps published Inside the GOP, their findings from a series of focus group discussions with Republicans. They identified the GOP’s three key constituencies – evangelicals, Tea Partiers and moderates and held focus groups in various cities around the country. The memo as a whole makes for depressing reading – it describes a group of Americans who see themselves as socially, culturally and political isolated, a faithful remnant fighting to restore the America they understand and value against a devious and largely victorious enemy. The average member of the Republican base feels besieged, angry and frustrated. Their sense of isolation within contemporary culture cannot be overstated. Tellingly, the members of the focus groups reported that the focus group time was a unique experience of being around like-minded people: Read the rest of this entry »
Search One Utah
- Trump Continues Poll Nosedive (2)
- The Failure of Republican Health Care “Reform” Is a Sign of Bad Things to Come (2)
- The Most Popular Political Figure In the USA (4)
- Larry Bergan: Bernie Sanders always gets things right because he doesn’t have to wade through decades of personal lies, like...
- Larry Bergan: Idaho, huh Glenn? I’d have to vote for Pedro. 😀
- glenn hoefer: This guy has a better shot than bernie the jewish bolshevik from da Bronx..please..I already told what’s...
- Is the Tea-GOP Wealthcare Plan Designed to Fail? (15)
- Does It Seem As Though Our “Leadership” Is Trying To Destabilize Their Own Country? (19)
- glenn hoefer: The level of fear and and disaster in this world was created by o’blahblah/hildebeest blowing up Libya and...
- Richard Warnick: Trump and his cronies keep citing their supposed executive power to impose a Muslim Ban. But they seem not to...
- Larry Bergan: I wouldn’t worry Glenn. Your boy Trump is going to bring down the level of fear around the world.
- Meet Gene Huber, Trump Supporter (43)
- John B Talcott: We are just seeing the “tip of the iceberg” with regard to Trump’s nefarious Russian connections....
- Larry Bergan: How’s the economy going to improve? Are they going to call hamburger flipping, a manufacturing job for real this...
- glenn hoefer: You guys are amusing..the stink of the Russia fraud is rising, and there is NO evidence..Every hour that goes by, is...
- Reince Priebus: Take Trump’s Claim That The Press Is The ‘Enemy Of The State’ Seriously (12)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video