Posts Tagged health
My headline says it all.
The USDA sent out an internal newsletter suggesting employees go vegetarian on Mondays as part of the Monday Campaign. A group of Republicans congress critters went apeshit about the suggestion, claiming it was anti-agriculture. And the USDA promptly folded.
Michael Klag, Dean of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health responded with an intelligent letter that pointed out that meatless Monday is in keeping with the USDA guidelines of good health, that the environmental impact of eating meat is huge and that there is more to agriculture than meat production.
Here’s what the USDA newsletter said:
“How will going meatless one day of the week help the environment? The production of meat, especially beef (and dairy as well), has a large environmental impact. According to the U.N., animal agriculture is a major source of greenhouse gases and climate change. It also wastes resources. It takes 7,000 kg of grain to make 1,000 kg of beef. In addition, beef production requires a lot of water, fertilizer, fossil fuels, and pesticides. In addition there are many health concerns related to the excessive consumption of meat.”
Being vegetarian or vegan isn’t for everyone. But simply reducing the amount of meat you eat can have positive impact on your health. How a group of individual as puerile as Republicans have ever managed to get elected astonishes me:
Sen. Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, for one, had this to say: “I will eat more meat on Monday to compensate for stupid USDA recommendation [about] a meatless Monday,”
What a colossal jackass.
Search One Utah
- Cliven Bundy on Faux News (96)
- A Confluence of Events (6)
- Larry Bergan: Non-violent incarceration is a very unfunny joke in this country and is wasting tons of money. Everybody knows this by...
- Larry Bergan: All of the people involved in the above segment have left the state and I wouldn’t tell you who they are, if you...
- Larry Bergan: The good folks at Wheeler Farm, Al-Anon, and The Food Bank let me work off 100 hours of community service after work....
- KNRS Fires Utah’s Top Conservative Voice (46)
- Peter Popoff: Due to this, some company find it tricky cope with alterations. Find one that is well qualified, dedicated, and...
- NYT: President Bush Ignored CIA Warnings Before August 6th PDB (19)
- family entertainment: Link exchange is nothing else however it is just placing the other person’s blog link on your page at...
- Chamber of Commerce Call to Action (5)
- Autovantage: After financial institution repossesses it however, they’ll need devote to maintain it tto remain stored. When a...
- The Millionaire Party (25)
- brewski: The Billionaire Party: http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/arch ive/2014/04/the-stylishness-of-democr...
- brewski: My observation had nothing to do with Paul Ryan, or Robert Reich. My point was that Krugman’s entire diatribe was...
- Larry Bergan: Paul Ryan is a legend. A veritable fart that will live in infamy.
- ACA’s A Scam, We Need Medicare For All (2)
- Keystone XL: The Biggest Mistake of Obama’s Presidency? (97)
- Richard Warnick: Surprise! The Obama administration has delayed the decision on Keystone XL until after the November elections.
- NRA Peddles Guns For Kids – What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (60)
- Richard Warnick: 6-year-old accidentally shoots and kills SC woman after finding gun during car ride
- Maine Senators Use The Word “Torture” To Describe CIA Torture (32)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video