Posts Tagged health
My headline says it all.
The USDA sent out an internal newsletter suggesting employees go vegetarian on Mondays as part of the Monday Campaign. A group of Republicans congress critters went apeshit about the suggestion, claiming it was anti-agriculture. And the USDA promptly folded.
Michael Klag, Dean of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health responded with an intelligent letter that pointed out that meatless Monday is in keeping with the USDA guidelines of good health, that the environmental impact of eating meat is huge and that there is more to agriculture than meat production.
Here’s what the USDA newsletter said:
“How will going meatless one day of the week help the environment? The production of meat, especially beef (and dairy as well), has a large environmental impact. According to the U.N., animal agriculture is a major source of greenhouse gases and climate change. It also wastes resources. It takes 7,000 kg of grain to make 1,000 kg of beef. In addition, beef production requires a lot of water, fertilizer, fossil fuels, and pesticides. In addition there are many health concerns related to the excessive consumption of meat.”
Being vegetarian or vegan isn’t for everyone. But simply reducing the amount of meat you eat can have positive impact on your health. How a group of individual as puerile as Republicans have ever managed to get elected astonishes me:
Sen. Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, for one, had this to say: “I will eat more meat on Monday to compensate for stupid USDA recommendation [about] a meatless Monday,”
What a colossal jackass.
Search One Utah
- How To Talk To A Brick Wall (9)
- Greece Votes No (3)
- Larry Bergan: It’s really astounding how well Thomas Piketty’s book did. I happened to record Paul Krugman speaking live...
- Richard Warnick: Economist Thomas Piketty: given their history, Germany is not in a position to lecture anybody about debt.
- Larry Bergan: Hey Glenden! How you been? Great to see you back! Unfortunately I have to admit that I think I accidentally deleted a...
- July 4th Scorecard (13)
- Richard Warnick: FBI and Media Still Addicted to Ginning Up Terrorist Hysteria – But They Have Never Been Right [T]he ominous...
- Larry Bergan: She apologized brewski. Let it go for crap sakes! She didn’t kill any soldiers. Sean Hannity and Fox...
- brewski: She needs to go back to Hanoi http://www.3news.co.nz/entertainment/jan e-fonda-regrets-missile-picture-20120...
- Faux News: Paying people for the hours that they actually work ‘undercuts work ethic’ (46)
- I’d like to thank the Mormon Church (11)
- Richard Warnick: Hastily Written Ballot Initiative, Seeking To Ban Same-Sex Marriage, Would Make All Marriage Illegal A proposed...
- Democracy Triumphs in Greece (1)
- Larry Bergan: Can Greece show us how to defeat vulture capitalism? Let’s hope so. Gutsy move. Never could have happened here....
- The Supreme Court Is On A Big Roll For The People! (11)
- Bernie Sanders for President (149)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video