Posts Tagged health
My headline says it all.
The USDA sent out an internal newsletter suggesting employees go vegetarian on Mondays as part of the Monday Campaign. A group of Republicans congress critters went apeshit about the suggestion, claiming it was anti-agriculture. And the USDA promptly folded.
Michael Klag, Dean of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health responded with an intelligent letter that pointed out that meatless Monday is in keeping with the USDA guidelines of good health, that the environmental impact of eating meat is huge and that there is more to agriculture than meat production.
Here’s what the USDA newsletter said:
“How will going meatless one day of the week help the environment? The production of meat, especially beef (and dairy as well), has a large environmental impact. According to the U.N., animal agriculture is a major source of greenhouse gases and climate change. It also wastes resources. It takes 7,000 kg of grain to make 1,000 kg of beef. In addition, beef production requires a lot of water, fertilizer, fossil fuels, and pesticides. In addition there are many health concerns related to the excessive consumption of meat.”
Being vegetarian or vegan isn’t for everyone. But simply reducing the amount of meat you eat can have positive impact on your health. How a group of individual as puerile as Republicans have ever managed to get elected astonishes me:
Sen. Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, for one, had this to say: “I will eat more meat on Monday to compensate for stupid USDA recommendation [about] a meatless Monday,”
What a colossal jackass.
Search One Utah
- Bruce Babbitt: Uninformed, Misguided Politicians Are Attempting To Abolish Public Lands (31)
- All Your ‘No Go Zones’ Are Belong To Us (23)
- Absurd and Hilarious (30)
- brewski: New Zealand Gini Index= 0.33 US Gini Index = .38 New Zealand has no Estate Tax at all. No capital gains tax. Dividend tax...
- Richard Warnick: Romney, Sudden Inequality Hawk, to Hit Clinton On Poverty The Tea-GOP hammered the American middle class with...
- Larry Bergan: On the hilarious front, we have this short video: Hey, you may have snubbed us, but we got a lunch out of it. So...
- 2014 Was The Hottest Year on Record (8)
- Richard Warnick: Ken– Thanks for weighing in. You ought to know that the Pentagon takes climate change very seriously as a...
- Larry Bergan: Job, jobs, jobs to clean up the earth. Boy, isn’t that the truth!
- cav - eBoomer: I keep wondering if all of this ‘margin-of-error-science’ isn’t less a lie, and more of an attempt...
- Senator Joni Ernst Wants To Cut Wasteful Spending – Let’s Start With Farm Subsidies! (19)
- Hilarious Hate (1)
- Larry Bergan: After you’re done laughing you can go HERE and easily try to save the internet.
- Robert Reich: Low Unemployment Won’t Lead to Higher Pay (22)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video