Posts Tagged health
My headline says it all.
The USDA sent out an internal newsletter suggesting employees go vegetarian on Mondays as part of the Monday Campaign. A group of Republicans congress critters went apeshit about the suggestion, claiming it was anti-agriculture. And the USDA promptly folded.
Michael Klag, Dean of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health responded with an intelligent letter that pointed out that meatless Monday is in keeping with the USDA guidelines of good health, that the environmental impact of eating meat is huge and that there is more to agriculture than meat production.
Here’s what the USDA newsletter said:
“How will going meatless one day of the week help the environment? The production of meat, especially beef (and dairy as well), has a large environmental impact. According to the U.N., animal agriculture is a major source of greenhouse gases and climate change. It also wastes resources. It takes 7,000 kg of grain to make 1,000 kg of beef. In addition, beef production requires a lot of water, fertilizer, fossil fuels, and pesticides. In addition there are many health concerns related to the excessive consumption of meat.”
Being vegetarian or vegan isn’t for everyone. But simply reducing the amount of meat you eat can have positive impact on your health. How a group of individual as puerile as Republicans have ever managed to get elected astonishes me:
Sen. Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, for one, had this to say: “I will eat more meat on Monday to compensate for stupid USDA recommendation [about] a meatless Monday,”
What a colossal jackass.
Search One Utah
- The Tea-GOP Needs A Clown Bus (146)
- If you’re excited about a caucus saying the Pledge of Allegiance, you’re excited about the wrong thing (3)
- Lawyers, Guns, and Money (49)
- Richard Warnick: Malheur National Wildlife Refuge Occupation Ends Final Occupier Walks Out Of Refuge Oregon Standoff Officially Ends...
- Richard Warnick: FBI statement on end of Oregon standoff At approximately 9:40 am on Thursday, February 11, 2016, the FBI brought...
- Richard Warnick: ‘The healing will take a lot of time’: Kate Brown grateful for peaceful end to occupation “The...
- The $675,000 Question (21)
- Land Grabbers Use Deceptive Video to Spread Anti-Government Hate (7)
- Malheur NWR Terrorists Surrounded Now, Surrendering (69)
- Richard Warnick: Emphasis added… “Many conservatives — [Ken] Ivory among them — criticized Mr. Bundy’s gun-toting...
- Larry Bergan: More on the Koch’s: Utah’s Ken Ivory recruiting ‘leaders’ to launch grass-roots lands-transfer movement Utah...
- Larry Bergan: I knew the Koch brothers had their sticky fingers in this land grab somewhere, and I’m sure they could care less...
- Microsoft Springs Up With A Free Voting APP Just Before The Iowa Caucus (11)
- Larry Bergan: This doesn’t involve Microsoft as far as I know, but the only video I saw of the caucuses, had one of the...
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video