Posts Tagged health
My headline says it all.
The USDA sent out an internal newsletter suggesting employees go vegetarian on Mondays as part of the Monday Campaign. A group of Republicans congress critters went apeshit about the suggestion, claiming it was anti-agriculture. And the USDA promptly folded.
Michael Klag, Dean of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health responded with an intelligent letter that pointed out that meatless Monday is in keeping with the USDA guidelines of good health, that the environmental impact of eating meat is huge and that there is more to agriculture than meat production.
Here’s what the USDA newsletter said:
“How will going meatless one day of the week help the environment? The production of meat, especially beef (and dairy as well), has a large environmental impact. According to the U.N., animal agriculture is a major source of greenhouse gases and climate change. It also wastes resources. It takes 7,000 kg of grain to make 1,000 kg of beef. In addition, beef production requires a lot of water, fertilizer, fossil fuels, and pesticides. In addition there are many health concerns related to the excessive consumption of meat.”
Being vegetarian or vegan isn’t for everyone. But simply reducing the amount of meat you eat can have positive impact on your health. How a group of individual as puerile as Republicans have ever managed to get elected astonishes me:
Sen. Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, for one, had this to say: “I will eat more meat on Monday to compensate for stupid USDA recommendation [about] a meatless Monday,”
What a colossal jackass.
Search One Utah
- Facts About The Low-Wage Economy (41)
- Opposition to Common Core Based on Misunderstanding of Common Core (3)
- NRA Peddles Guns For Kids – What Could Possibly Go Wrong? (63)
- ‘We’re moving toward a winner-take-all economy’ (8)
- These Children Are Refugees (76)
- Richard Warnick: I never resort to name-calling, or personal attacks of any kind. You cannot cite one example from this blog (or...
- brewski: All you do is ad hominems. That is your only tactic. That and quoting 22 years old bloggers living in their mother’s...
- Richard Warnick: When the other guy descends into bizarre ad hominem, that’s how I know I have won the argument on the facts.
- Congress Must Authorize New Iraq/Syria War (1)
- Richard Warnick: Patrick Cockburn: ISIS Raises the Stakes While the U.S. Pursues Bankrupt Syria Policy [O]ne of Isis’s great...
- Are we (finally) seeing the end of US Imperialism? (17)
- Richard Warnick: Yeah, Republicans are outraged that the Obama administration is not already at war in Syria. A war that Congress...
- Larry Bergan: Damn! McCain would have been in there in a heartbeat.
- Richard Warnick: As Rachel Maddow reminded us tonight, President Obama’s request for congressional authorization to bomb Syria...
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video