Posts Tagged health
My headline says it all.
The USDA sent out an internal newsletter suggesting employees go vegetarian on Mondays as part of the Monday Campaign. A group of Republicans congress critters went apeshit about the suggestion, claiming it was anti-agriculture. And the USDA promptly folded.
Michael Klag, Dean of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health responded with an intelligent letter that pointed out that meatless Monday is in keeping with the USDA guidelines of good health, that the environmental impact of eating meat is huge and that there is more to agriculture than meat production.
Here’s what the USDA newsletter said:
“How will going meatless one day of the week help the environment? The production of meat, especially beef (and dairy as well), has a large environmental impact. According to the U.N., animal agriculture is a major source of greenhouse gases and climate change. It also wastes resources. It takes 7,000 kg of grain to make 1,000 kg of beef. In addition, beef production requires a lot of water, fertilizer, fossil fuels, and pesticides. In addition there are many health concerns related to the excessive consumption of meat.”
Being vegetarian or vegan isn’t for everyone. But simply reducing the amount of meat you eat can have positive impact on your health. How a group of individual as puerile as Republicans have ever managed to get elected astonishes me:
Sen. Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, for one, had this to say: “I will eat more meat on Monday to compensate for stupid USDA recommendation [about] a meatless Monday,”
What a colossal jackass.
Search One Utah
- People Who Believed the Media About Ebola Were The Least Informed (39)
- Bernie Sanders for President (6)
- Larry Bergan: Plus Sanders just gave a fantastic speech and he’s talking MY language! He says he’s going to fight for...
- Larry Bergan: Something tells me it’s going to be easier to make fun of Hillary then Bernie. Other then being-old jokes, what...
- Larry Bergan: That might be difficult, because he’s criticizing the media like Howard Dean did before he got trashed by the...
- Gov. Herbert Not Buying ‘Jade Helm 15′ Conspiracy Theory (11)
- Richard Warnick: Chuck Norris: I Never Said The Military Was Trying To Take Over Texas
- Robert Reich: TPP is Part of the Global Race to the Bottom (123)
- brewski: It’s not my job to educate you on simple history. Grow up. Stiglitz was right on in October of 2006: “Asked if...
- Richard Warnick: OK, so you can’t back up your statement with a source.
- brewski: Convince you of what? That isn’t an opinion. That is history. Do I need to “convince you” that 1+1=2?
- Call Your Congressman and Tell Him You’re Not a Coward (18)
- Larry Bergan: I’m hopeful, but in my gut, I can’t see them doing away with the spy program. What the heck are they going...
- Richard Warnick: I would prefer that our elected representatives always vote to keep our Constitution out of the shredder. Maybe...
- Larry Bergan: Got an encouraging letter from Freepress: Hi Larry, Something important happened last night in the Senate. After days...
- Media Welcomes Back Consistently Wrong Iraq ‘Experts’… Wolfowitz, Feith, Bremer, Kristol… Even Judith Miller! (218)
- Richard Warnick: First, nobody equates the 1998 air raids on Iraq that lasted 4 days with the full-scale invasion and occupation...
- brewski: No, not since 2003. Since 1998 when Clinton illegally violated the UN Charter and illegally waged war without the...
- Richard Warnick: Always wrong, but never in doubt… Iraq War Architect Bill Kristol: Knowing What We Know Now, “We Were...
- ‘It’s almost like war is a business’ (1)
- Larry Bergan: In my country, weapons are a “medium of exchange”
- Fox’s Manufactured Benghazi Scandal by the Numbers (56)
- brewski: Speaking of professional liars, please refer to my previous comment.
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video