Posts Tagged health
My headline says it all.
The USDA sent out an internal newsletter suggesting employees go vegetarian on Mondays as part of the Monday Campaign. A group of Republicans congress critters went apeshit about the suggestion, claiming it was anti-agriculture. And the USDA promptly folded.
Michael Klag, Dean of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health responded with an intelligent letter that pointed out that meatless Monday is in keeping with the USDA guidelines of good health, that the environmental impact of eating meat is huge and that there is more to agriculture than meat production.
Here’s what the USDA newsletter said:
“How will going meatless one day of the week help the environment? The production of meat, especially beef (and dairy as well), has a large environmental impact. According to the U.N., animal agriculture is a major source of greenhouse gases and climate change. It also wastes resources. It takes 7,000 kg of grain to make 1,000 kg of beef. In addition, beef production requires a lot of water, fertilizer, fossil fuels, and pesticides. In addition there are many health concerns related to the excessive consumption of meat.”
Being vegetarian or vegan isn’t for everyone. But simply reducing the amount of meat you eat can have positive impact on your health. How a group of individual as puerile as Republicans have ever managed to get elected astonishes me:
Sen. Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, for one, had this to say: “I will eat more meat on Monday to compensate for stupid USDA recommendation [about] a meatless Monday,”
What a colossal jackass.
Search One Utah
- Pope Drives The Financial District Crazy (29)
- ‘60 Minutes’ Benghazi ‘Correction’ Leaves Key Questions Unanswered (80)
- The Democrat’s Guide to Talking Politics With Your Republican Uncle (35)
- Krugman: President’s Inequality Speech Deserves a Serious Hearing (14)
- Traveller: Doesn’t matter what he says in in speeches anymore. No one is listening and no one cares what he says.
- cav: Meant to be broken, like all of the others – if you’re the right sort of person.
- brewski: Let’s just make it $25 per hour. There is no effect of minimum wage on employment. It is a law with no consequences.
- Hardline Right-Wing GOP House Members Threaten Another Government Shutdown (20)
- November 22, 1963 (136)
- Court Rules Colorado Bakery Broke the Law by Refusing to Serve Gay Customers (1)
- Larry Bergan: Does this mean, “no shirts, no shoes, no service” is a thing of the past?
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video