Posts Tagged health
My headline says it all.
The USDA sent out an internal newsletter suggesting employees go vegetarian on Mondays as part of the Monday Campaign. A group of Republicans congress critters went apeshit about the suggestion, claiming it was anti-agriculture. And the USDA promptly folded.
Michael Klag, Dean of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health responded with an intelligent letter that pointed out that meatless Monday is in keeping with the USDA guidelines of good health, that the environmental impact of eating meat is huge and that there is more to agriculture than meat production.
Here’s what the USDA newsletter said:
“How will going meatless one day of the week help the environment? The production of meat, especially beef (and dairy as well), has a large environmental impact. According to the U.N., animal agriculture is a major source of greenhouse gases and climate change. It also wastes resources. It takes 7,000 kg of grain to make 1,000 kg of beef. In addition, beef production requires a lot of water, fertilizer, fossil fuels, and pesticides. In addition there are many health concerns related to the excessive consumption of meat.”
Being vegetarian or vegan isn’t for everyone. But simply reducing the amount of meat you eat can have positive impact on your health. How a group of individual as puerile as Republicans have ever managed to get elected astonishes me:
Sen. Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, for one, had this to say: “I will eat more meat on Monday to compensate for stupid USDA recommendation [about] a meatless Monday,”
What a colossal jackass.
Search One Utah
- Cliven Bundy on Faux News (41)
- brewski: I did not flatly deny GOP obstructionism. Quite the opposite. I said the GOP was elected in 2010 to obstruct and the...
- Richard Warnick: Thanks for making me look. My perceptions may be skewed by the fact that several people I know have been searching...
- brewski: I actually know about this law quite a bit and have been to several conferences on it. It is probably the best law that has...
- Will Obamacare lead to single-payer? (33)
- brewski: Bob Garfield host of On the Media is pretty looney lefty. He lies all the time.
- Larry Bergan: Maybe brewski can name ONE liberal program on public radio. NPR doesn’t count, because it is truly fair and...
- Larry Bergan: David Brock must be making a fortune! Liberal media is the place to be if you want to lubricate your wallet by begging...
- Lions, Christians and Fake Oppression . . . oh my (13)
- Larry Hagman on Solar Power (4)
- ‘Game of Thrones’ is Back (16)
- Maine Senators Use The Word “Torture” To Describe CIA Torture (29)
- What Happened To Gary Care? (14)
- Cliven Bundy on Faux News (41)
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video