Posts Tagged health
My headline says it all.
The USDA sent out an internal newsletter suggesting employees go vegetarian on Mondays as part of the Monday Campaign. A group of Republicans congress critters went apeshit about the suggestion, claiming it was anti-agriculture. And the USDA promptly folded.
Michael Klag, Dean of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health responded with an intelligent letter that pointed out that meatless Monday is in keeping with the USDA guidelines of good health, that the environmental impact of eating meat is huge and that there is more to agriculture than meat production.
Here’s what the USDA newsletter said:
“How will going meatless one day of the week help the environment? The production of meat, especially beef (and dairy as well), has a large environmental impact. According to the U.N., animal agriculture is a major source of greenhouse gases and climate change. It also wastes resources. It takes 7,000 kg of grain to make 1,000 kg of beef. In addition, beef production requires a lot of water, fertilizer, fossil fuels, and pesticides. In addition there are many health concerns related to the excessive consumption of meat.”
Being vegetarian or vegan isn’t for everyone. But simply reducing the amount of meat you eat can have positive impact on your health. How a group of individual as puerile as Republicans have ever managed to get elected astonishes me:
Sen. Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, for one, had this to say: “I will eat more meat on Monday to compensate for stupid USDA recommendation [about] a meatless Monday,”
What a colossal jackass.
Search One Utah
- Media Welcomes Back Consistently Wrong Iraq ‘Experts’… Wolfowitz, Feith, Bremer, Kristol… Even Judith Miller! (59)
- Hillary 2.0 (77)
- brewski: I remember all of them and he has only kept one, which was to kill OBL. That’s it.
- brewski: Who is going to ask her those questions? She doesn’t do interviews, she doesn’t do Q&A, the press followers...
- Richard Warnick: I’m sure there will be plenty of time to ask if Hillary wants to torpedo the TPP and levy a financial...
- Yemen: ‘Somalia is in better shape than us’ (2)
- Blackwater Five trial may be in Salt Lake (24)
- Richard Warnick: Ex-Blackwater contractors sentenced in Nusoor Square shooting in Iraq Washington (CNN) One former employee of the...
- This Time Someone Got It on Video (36)
- brewski: As could have the Dems. So what you just said is that the Dems and the GOP are the same. Thank you.
- Richard Warnick: Here’s A News Report We’d Be Reading If Walter Scott’s Killing Wasn’t On Video
- Larry Bergan: Shows me that the deadbeat billionaires have way too much influence in the congress. The Republicans could change the...
- Finally, Righteous Pardons (23)
- Larry Bergan: Changing the constitution for prohibition was a monumentally stupid attempt at legislating morality and was quickly...
- Richard Warnick: Mexican pot growers are more of a problem on our national forests than national parks. But it’s like bathtub...
- Larry Bergan: They help me to spot the “Tea Party”.
- Happy April Fools’ Day (21)
- Larry Bergan: I wonder how long George Stephanopoulos is going to have his job. He was so rough on Pence, his people had to admit it...
- Larry Bergan: I can’t possibly give the Mormon position (no pun) on anything. I’m not religious. Since all of the...
- brewski: That is the Mormon response about translations. If you are quibbling about the difference between sodomy and homosexuality...
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video