Posts Tagged health
My headline says it all.
The USDA sent out an internal newsletter suggesting employees go vegetarian on Mondays as part of the Monday Campaign. A group of Republicans congress critters went apeshit about the suggestion, claiming it was anti-agriculture. And the USDA promptly folded.
Michael Klag, Dean of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health responded with an intelligent letter that pointed out that meatless Monday is in keeping with the USDA guidelines of good health, that the environmental impact of eating meat is huge and that there is more to agriculture than meat production.
Here’s what the USDA newsletter said:
“How will going meatless one day of the week help the environment? The production of meat, especially beef (and dairy as well), has a large environmental impact. According to the U.N., animal agriculture is a major source of greenhouse gases and climate change. It also wastes resources. It takes 7,000 kg of grain to make 1,000 kg of beef. In addition, beef production requires a lot of water, fertilizer, fossil fuels, and pesticides. In addition there are many health concerns related to the excessive consumption of meat.”
Being vegetarian or vegan isn’t for everyone. But simply reducing the amount of meat you eat can have positive impact on your health. How a group of individual as puerile as Republicans have ever managed to get elected astonishes me:
Sen. Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, for one, had this to say: “I will eat more meat on Monday to compensate for stupid USDA recommendation [about] a meatless Monday,”
What a colossal jackass.
Search One Utah
- When Racism Died a Little in Utah (73)
- How Ironic: The First Tea-GOP Presidential Candidate for 2016 Has A Canadian Birth Certificate (27)
- brewski: I have no idea what Cruz’s plan is. I think making his announcement at Liberty University says a lot. That would...
- Richard Warnick: At least in regard to foreign policy, Josh Marshall dubs Cruz for President as “the ultimate Fox News...
- Richard Warnick: Senator Cruz is a public figure. Therefore I don’t have to worry about hurting his feelings. Just be grateful...
- How, Not, To Work Your Political Views Into A Conversation (19)
- Judge May Order Pentagon to Release Torture ‘Mementos’ (10)
- Larry Bergan: If I may reply to myself, people on the far right are scrambling like hungry chipmunks to make sure that –...
- Larry Bergan: Of course they’ll file an appeal and get another, more friendly to power, judge.
- Richard Warnick: UPDATE: Judge Orders Thousands of Torture Photos to Be Disclosed After US Government Fails to Justify Secrecy The...
- The Middle Class Has Gotten Smaller In Every State Since 2000 (9)
- Gun Shoppers Learn the Truth – Guns Are Unsafe (1)
- Larry Bergan: I gave away my pellet gun when I was 14 and have never had a gun in my house since. I’m 62 and alive. Proof...
- Now I’m Really Upset About Daylight Savings! (8)
- Larry Bergan: I just found this YouTube today which proves the whole world doesn’t know what daylight savings is for. Ben...
- Taking A Vacation From The Blogosphere (12)
- brewski: Wow, you don’t like Obama or Holder and you think they are just wrong. You really must be a racist. You need to talk...
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video