Posts Tagged health
My headline says it all.
The USDA sent out an internal newsletter suggesting employees go vegetarian on Mondays as part of the Monday Campaign. A group of Republicans congress critters went apeshit about the suggestion, claiming it was anti-agriculture. And the USDA promptly folded.
Michael Klag, Dean of the Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health responded with an intelligent letter that pointed out that meatless Monday is in keeping with the USDA guidelines of good health, that the environmental impact of eating meat is huge and that there is more to agriculture than meat production.
Here’s what the USDA newsletter said:
“How will going meatless one day of the week help the environment? The production of meat, especially beef (and dairy as well), has a large environmental impact. According to the U.N., animal agriculture is a major source of greenhouse gases and climate change. It also wastes resources. It takes 7,000 kg of grain to make 1,000 kg of beef. In addition, beef production requires a lot of water, fertilizer, fossil fuels, and pesticides. In addition there are many health concerns related to the excessive consumption of meat.”
Being vegetarian or vegan isn’t for everyone. But simply reducing the amount of meat you eat can have positive impact on your health. How a group of individual as puerile as Republicans have ever managed to get elected astonishes me:
Sen. Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican, for one, had this to say: “I will eat more meat on Monday to compensate for stupid USDA recommendation [about] a meatless Monday,”
What a colossal jackass.
Search One Utah
- Lindsey Graham: Attack on Iran Better Than Diplomacy (3)
- He’s the Front Runner (13)
- Larry Bergan: Yeah Trump-for-dump. She’d make a great secretary of state, wouldn’t she. Yikes.
- Trump for the dump!!: Going to be great having him president. Palin can run interference and counterpoint on inane progressives..she...
- Richard Warnick: President Trump Would ‘Love’ To Include Sarah Palin In His Cabinet “Everybody loves her,”...
- ‘We have to give America something worth voting for’ (29)
- Gotta Get Me Some Of Those Baby Parts! (9)
- Larry Bergan: Limbaugh and Hannity and everybody else involved in this had better get condemned for every breast cancer death,...
- Richard Warnick: How A Lie Becomes A Law: GOP Introduces Legislation To Defund Planned Parenthood Based On Deceptively Edited Videos...
- Larry Bergan: Republicans are really trying to do this. Shame on you Mike Lee! On Sunday, Lee also tried to defund Planned...
- John Ellis (‘Jeb’) Bush: Medicare Phase Out ‘A Winning Argument’ (19)
- Richard Warnick: What Jeb Bush doesn’t get about Medicare Right wingers remind me of the joke about the old-timer who gave...
- Richard Warnick: Paul Krugman Decimates Jeb Bush’s Medicare Delusion The real reason conservatives want to do away with...
- Richard Warnick: Why Social Security Beats All Rivals — And the Case for Expanding It (emphasis added) There was a time during...
- Voucher Advocates Admit the Truth: It’s About ‘Abolishing the Public School System’ (10)
- Bernie Sanders for President (156)
- Larry Bergan: Sanders isn’t in the race to be silly. He’s in the race to finally bring serious conversation to the table...
Tags2nd Amendment 2008 Election Alan Korwin ammo Assault Weapons Ban bailout Barack Obama BLM Bush california proposition 8 carl wimmer DeChristopher Economy education fox news gay marriage George W. Bush glenn beck Gun Control gun lobby guns hand guns Iraq John McCain Karl Rove kleck lies Mass Shootings Mormon church nra Obama Pro-Gun prop 8 Racism racist Republicans Rocky Anderson Salt Lake City Sandy Hook Elementary School Shooting second amendment self-defense Tea Party Tim DeChristopher utah Video